PDA

View Full Version : Linux Testing

Pages : [1] 2 3

Moon Wizard
August 27th, 2020, 23:51
INSTALLER FILE LAST UPDATED: September 24, 2020

NOTE: The Linux installer is only available via this link. While we are working on a Steam version, it is not ready for testing on Steam yet.

Download

We have a build of the Linux applications ready for people to help us put it through the paces to make sure it installs and runs like the other versions.

As noted in the Overview and Download thread, Ubuntu 16.04+ (64-bit only) is the supported platform for this Linux installation. Your mileage will vary for other Linux installations, and only Ubuntu is planned to be supported at this time. The installer is a Debian package.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGUWebInstall.bin

You will need to run the following command on the file to install the FGU client:
chmod +x ./FGUWebInstall.bin && ./FGUWebInstall.bin

If you previously installed FGU using the .deb installer, it is recommended to remove it first (NOTE: back up your data first if you saved it to either of these directories):
sudo dpkg -r fantasygroundsinstaller && sudo rm -fr /usr/share/smiteworks && sudo rm -fr ~/.config/smiteworks

Issue Reporting

Please post any issues to this thread, and include your OS and OS version information. Also, please include any information that may be unique to your system, or specific steps on how to recreate the issue.

Regards,
JPG

Imagix
August 28th, 2020, 02:07
Debian 10 (Updated to today), 64-bit.

+ dpkg -i of the deb file worked fine. (specifically, "sudo dpkg -i FGWebInstall.deb")
- Application showed up in the Menu as "Unnamed" in the "Other" category
+ Login and update w/ license key worked fine
- /usr/share/smiteworks became owned by a user. This seems wrong as this probably should either be owned as root, or a different user.
- /bin/FantasyGrounds became owned by a user. This seems wrong as this probably should either be owned as root, or a different user.
- Rolling dice within the chat window shows a white shadow (But the shadow on the die at rest is grey/shadow colored)

smelton
August 28th, 2020, 03:37

+ dpkg -i of the deb file worked fine. (specifically, "sudo dpkg -i FGWebInstall.deb")
- /usr/share/smiteworks became owned by a user. This seems wrong as this probably should either be owned as root, or a different user.
- /bin/FantasyGrounds became owned by a user. This seems wrong as this probably should either be owned as root, or a different user.
- Rolling dice within the chat window shows a white shadow (But the shadow on the die at rest is grey/shadow colored)

Thanks for the feedback! I'm taking a look now

smelton
August 28th, 2020, 05:03

What desktop environment are you using?

Imagix
August 28th, 2020, 05:04
Cinnamon. But also note that my default locale isn't en_US ...

Edit: Feel free to DM me on Discord if you'd like.

smelton
August 28th, 2020, 05:11
Cinnamon. But also note that my default locale isn't en_US ...

Edit: Feel free to DM me on Discord if you'd like.

That explains the "Unnamed" in the menu. What locale are you using?

Imagix
August 28th, 2020, 05:12
en_CA. However, if you don't supply a locale in the .desktop file, it will use that for all locales.

snowgoon88
August 28th, 2020, 09:49
Hello,
I tried it also this morning. Overall it works except for the "permission problem" (see below).

1) installed the deb with sudo dpkg -i FGUWebInstall.deb
but then, things are installed as user 1000:1000 (uid:gid), and that is not even me. I suppose this is the accout of the one that buld the .deb file.
=> should use dpkg-deb --root-owner-group --build $builddir $outputdeb

2) then, had to change the owner to me on ~/.smiteworks and ~/.config/smiteworks/*
by using
sudo chown -R myID:mygroup ~/.smiteworks
sudo chown -R myID:mygroup ~/.config/smiteworks/*

3) then it mostly works,except that it still ask to FixPermission when lauching FantasyGround

So, its nice and working (no strange shadow on dice or anything). I do not have a licence, so I haven't try network things.
Good job
Snow / Alain

*** My system *** Xubuntu 18.04 with wmaker as window manager, FR_UTF-8 locale and nvidia Quadro M2000M
$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=bionic
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS"

$dpkg -l wmaker
Name Version Architecture Description
+++-===============-============-============-===================================
ii wmaker 0.95.8-2 amd64 NeXTSTEP-like window manager for X

$ locale
LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US
LC_CTYPE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
$ nvidia-smi
Fri Aug 28 10:46:34 2020
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 390.138 Driver Version: 390.138 |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU Name Persistence-M| Bus-Id Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan Temp Perf Pwr:Usage/Cap| Memory-Usage | GPU-Util Compute M. |
|===============================+================= =====+======================|
| 0 Quadro M2000M Off | 00000000:01:00.0 On | N/A |
| N/A 43C P0 N/A / N/A | 132MiB / 4042MiB | 6% Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes: GPU Memory |
| GPU PID Type Process name Usage |
|================================================= ============================|
| 0 1014 G /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg 70MiB |
| 0 3141 G /usr/lib/firefox/firefox 1MiB |
| 0 12527 G ...ks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGrounds.x86_64 57MiB |

skj310
August 28th, 2020, 11:10
I've noted the exact same issues as above regarding permissions on:
/usr/share/smiteworks
/bin/FantasyGrounds

I installed in same fashion as the others above had. I also noted the permissions of 1000:1000 on the folders mentioned above, and so I
chown -R root:root on those folders recursively.

Finally my system is linuxmint (debian based).

$ neofetch
...-:::::-... crimsonnib@dagobah
.-MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-. ----------------
.-MMMM`..-:::::::-..`MMMM-. OS: Linux Mint 20 x86_64
.:MMMM.:MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:.MMMM:. Host: 20KGS75D00 ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th
-MMM-M---MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.MMM- Kernel: 5.4.0-42-generic
`:MMM:MM` :MMMM:....::-...-MMMM:MMM:` Uptime: 33 mins
:MMM:MMM` :MM:` `` `` `:MMM:MMM: Packages: 3094 (dpkg), 9 (flatpak), 9 (snap)
.MMM.MMMM` :MM. -MM. .MM- `MMMM.MMM. Shell: bash 5.0.17
:MMM:MMMM` :MM. -MM- .MM: `MMMM-MMM: Resolution: 1920x1080
:MMM:MMMM` :MM. -MM- .MM: `MMMM:MMM: DE: Cinnamon
:MMM:MMMM` :MM. -MM- .MM: `MMMM-MMM: WM: Mutter (Muffin)
.MMM.MMMM` :MM:--:MM:--:MM: `MMMM.MMM. WM Theme: Mint-Y-Dark-Aqua (Mint-Y-Dark)
:MMM:MMM- `-MMMMMMMMMMMM-` -MMM-MMM: Theme: Mint-Y-Dark-Aqua [GTK2/3]
:MMM:MMM:` `:MMM:MMM: Icons: Tango [GTK2/3]
.MMM.MMMM:--------------:MMMM.MMM. Terminal: gnome-terminal
'-MMMM.-MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-.MMMM-' CPU: Intel i5-8250U (8) @ 3.400GHz
'.-MMMM``--:::::--``MMMM-.' GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620
'-MMMMMMMMMMMMM-' Memory: 1936MiB / 7724MiB
``-:::::-``

Yeesh ... nearly forgot to mention where things fall over for me. After entering my FG account, fine! After entering my FGU ultimate license ... FAIL! :'(
It hangs at that point. I can see that on entering my license it says "This valid Ultimate Key." and it starts up:

/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FGUpdaterEngine/FGUpdaterEngine.x86_64
Nothing happens other than that process seems to be eating ~15-20% of the CPU and i don't see anything happening. I thought perhaps in ~/.smiteworks/fgdata i'd start to see the standard folders i'm used to (e.g. cache, campaign, modules, extensions, vault, etc.), but no. Don't see any of that.

skj310
August 28th, 2020, 14:01
sigh ... firewall!!! Ignore above ... installing now .. will update if there are any further issues.

thwright
August 28th, 2020, 22:28
Based on previous responses, initial test shows good for permissions and basic functionality.

What I did:
Installed, downloaded updates, and opened the D&D 5e Test campaign. Rolled dice in chat window and tower.

More testing to come.

.-/+oossssoo+/-.
`:+ssssssssssssssssss+:`
-+ssssssssssssssssssyyssss+- OS: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS x86_64
.ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso. Kernel: 5.4.0-42-generic
/ssssssssssshdmmNNmmyNMMMMhssssss/ Uptime: 7 days, 3 hours, 44 mins
+ssssssssshmydMMMMMMMNddddyssssssss+ Packages: 2849 (dpkg), 16 (flatpak),
/sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhmNMMMNhssssssss/ Shell: bash 5.0.17
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss. Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+ DE: Plasma
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso WM: KWin
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso WM Theme: Breeze
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+ Theme: Breeze Dark [Plasma], Breeze-
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss. Icons: breeze-dark [Plasma], breeze-
/sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhdNMMMNhssssssss/ Terminal: terminator
+sssssssssdmydMMMMMMMMddddyssssssss+ CPU: Intel i7-4790K (8) @ 4.600GHz
/ssssssssssshdmNNNNmyNMMMMhssssss/ GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
.ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso. Memory: 7364MiB / 32056MiB
-+sssssssssssssssssyyyssss+-
.-/+oossssoo+/-.

skj310
August 29th, 2020, 02:36
Mouse Wheel - within Linux, as I think within windows, you have the choice to reverse the direction the window panes move bases on direction of mouse wheel's rotation. I get the feeling that a default has been chosen here and FGU is not paying attention to mouse wheel direction that's been configured within the desktop environment. NOTE: still using same environ as in my earlier post.

I should also note that the mouse wheel seems a little clunky. It's requiring a lot more of me spinning the wheel to get the window to shift. This also doesn't feel right in comparison to its use with other applications (i.e. FGU seems like the odd duck out when using mouse wheel within linux). I could be bonkers when noting this, but this is just my noting my experience.

kmalsom
August 29th, 2020, 03:53
I converted the package with alien to install on a slackware64-current computer (ancient laptop that may not be capable of running it - Opteron 64/4 MB memory/Integrated Vido) and the update screen flashed then when away. I will try on my other system later (also slackware64-current but with a Ryzen 3200G and Radeon RX 5600 XT). Error messages would have been useful.

This is all I got in the output:

For reference: this is my computer info:

I did have the same issues that were listed above with it installing under owner 1000.1000

Jafo
August 29th, 2020, 04:53
sigh ... firewall!!! Ignore above ... installing now .. will update if there are any further issues.

I have the same problem. What did you do with the firewall to fix it?

I used debtap to convert the .deb package to an Arch package.
https://github.com/helixarch/debtap

-`
.o+` jeff@computer
`ooo/ OS: Arch Linux
`+oooo: Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.8.1-arch1-1
`+oooooo: Uptime: 1d 5h 50m
-+oooooo+: Packages: 963
`/:-:++oooo+: Shell: bash 5.0.18
`/++++/+++++++: Resolution: 3840x1200
`/++++++++++++++: DE: GNOME 3.36.4
`/+++ooooooooooooo/` WM: Mutter
./ooosssso++osssssso+` WM Theme: Adwaita
.oossssso-````/ossssss+` GTK Theme: Adwaita-dark [GTK2/3]
-osssssso. :ssssssso. Icon Theme: Adwaita
:osssssss/ osssso+++. Font: Liberation Sans 12
/ossssssss/ +ssssooo/- Disk: 4.2T / 6.4T (66%)
`/ossssso+/:- -:/+osssso+- CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core @ 24x 3.8GHz
`+sso+:-` `.-/+oso: GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (NAVI10, DRM 3.38.0, 5.8.1-arch1-1, LLVM 10.0.1)
`++:. `-/+/ RAM: 11315MiB / 32087MiB

skj310
August 29th, 2020, 05:37
I have the same problem. What did you do with the firewall to fix it?

I turned off the firewall for the time being. I'll work out what ports are needed later ... perhaps there's doc that says ports needed to speak with the modules installer location (i.e. the place where our purchases items are located)? Don't know that off the top my head. Main point is that to get past the entering of my license key and begin the updates, I had to turn off my computers firewall. Then all was ok.

Jafo
August 29th, 2020, 06:37
Turning off firewalld didn't help. Is there any way to get feedback about what it is doing when you run it? I tried running it from a cli and it is completely silent except for one line and --help doesn't do anything.
I've opened the ports that are required to run a game with FGC. I guess they aren't the same ones.

Would I need to forward ports through the router?

Jiminimonka
August 29th, 2020, 07:52
Ubuntu....
At least its on linux I guess.

aiquen
August 29th, 2020, 11:48
Install
Installed on Arch-based SalientOS using Debtap as previous user did. Worked fine with the conversion.
Got the same premissions problems. Ran
sudo chown -R <myuser>:<mygroup> ~/.smithworks
sudo chown -R <myuser>:<mygroup> ~/.config/smithworks
sudo chown -R <myuser>:<mygroup> /usr/share/smithworks

Updater
And FGU updater could run without issue. No FW issues (FW turned off as this seems to be a problem since previous).

In the Updater, when going to Settings, and then dragging the UI Scale up nothing seems to happen. Which is annoying as I would like especially the font inside FGU to be larger to be easier for me to read. But so far I haven't been able to find any setting that actually change UI size for anything. This would be greatly appreciated if this was looked at.

Gameplay
When EULA comes up, mouse scrolling is inverted, which is annoying but not too bad. Same goes for "Joing Campaign" screen when trying to scroll through list of campaigns. Pretty much same with all lists it seems.

When loading the test 5e campaign, getting through the setup wizard, loading modules screen. Scrolling is not only inverted, but lags greatly. I can scroll 5-6 times before the list move one step down.

But setup campaign wizard seems to work fine in all other aspects what I can find.

No shadow problems when rolling dice using KDE display manager, running on Nvidia prop. graphics.

Tested to edit to load battlemap01 and add FX layer, draw some walls. All worked fine. LOS seems to work fine while moving PCs and NPCs around.

Character creation.
BIG plus that clicking top left to add character image -> then click folder opens Dolphin (File browser) to correct place. Dropping in a image instantly adds it as selectable in character window in FGU. Did not work as good in Wine.
Tested to create and level up a character with drag-n-drop, worked fine.

izzle121
August 29th, 2020, 13:50
Converted .deb to install it properly on Slackware64-14.2.
Attempted to run FantasyGrounds with the following error:

ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
Found path: /usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FGUpdaterEngine/FGUpdaterEngine.x86_64
/bin/FantasyGrounds: line 2: 10627 Segmentation fault /usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGroundsUpdater

System Config:

Display Manager: none
Window Manager: Openbox 3.6.1

Jafo
August 29th, 2020, 16:05
Changing permissions with:

sudo chown -R <myuser>:<mygroup> /usr/share/smithworks
and it runs, but that doesn't seem right.

Jafo
August 29th, 2020, 17:01
The 'Advanced' tab in the FGUpdaterEngine settings mentions asking for administrator permissions to access the 'App Directory'. That would be proper instead of changing the owner of that directory to the current user.

There are no fonts on the buttons.

kmalsom
August 29th, 2020, 17:18
Installed it on my second system (Ryzen 3 3200G/Radeon RX 5600 XT/16 GB Ram/Slackware64-current). Changed the owner of all the installs to root.root. This meant I had to run it the first time as root to download and update all the program files. It installed the program files into the /usr/share folder. This is a bad way to install applications on a Linux system as it makes package management ineffective. Ideally there would just be a new package whenever the application was installed. Instead of just installing an installer on a linux system the package should be the whole program. Otherwise it requires manually finding the applications and running them. Please consider this for the future as Linux users are used to downloading new packages when needed.

The updater ran and downloaded all the content into the ~/.smiteworks folder so that is fine and I was able to run the application and it seemed to run really smoothly. I'll have to play around with it a little more.

Here is the system information:

:::::::
::::::::::::::::::: ------------------------
::::::::::::::::::::::::: OS: Slackware 14.2 x86_64 (post 14.2 -current) x86_64
::::::::cllcccccllllllll:::::: Kernel: 5.4.31
:::::::::lc dc::::::: Uptime: 40 mins
::::::::cl clllccllll oc::::::::: Packages: 1579 (pkgtool)
:::::::::o lc::::::::co oc:::::::::: Shell: bash 5.0.18
::::::::::o cccclc:::::clcc:::::::::::: Resolution: 1920x1080
:::::::::::lc cclccclc::::::::::::: DE: Plasma
::::::::::::::lcclcc lc:::::::::::: WM: KWin
::::::::::cclcc:::::lccclc oc::::::::::: Theme: [Plasma], oxygen-gtk [GTK2], Adwaita [GTK3]
::::::::::o l::::::::::l lc::::::::::: Icons: [Plasma], Adwaita [GTK3]
:::::cll:o clcllcccll o::::::::::: Terminal: konsole
:::::occ:o clc::::::::::: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G (4) @ 3.600GHz
::::ocl:ccslclccclclccclclc::::::::::::: GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT
:::oclcccccccccccccllllllllllllll::::: Memory: 1712MiB / 15928MiB
::lcc1lcccccccccccccccccccccccco::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::

LordTripod
August 29th, 2020, 20:25
Thank you so much for FINALLY releasing an install candidate for Linux. So far so good. First, I'm running Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit on an older ThinkPad with the Cinnamon DE...

Second, the install went flawlessly - no permissions issue as reported above.

Once downloaded, ran installer as:

sudo dpkg -i FGUWebInstall.deb

This installed the application into the Cinnamon DE under the category Other as Fantasy Grounds with the Fantasy Grounds icon showing. Clicking on this icon launched the updater and all updates went successfully after logging in and entering license key for Unity. From updater, I launched the app and the main landing screen came up. I then checked on directory permissions and ownership. Everything looks fine for me; commands listed below followed by screenshot of results:

ls -ltr /bin/FantasyGrounds

ls -ld /usr/share/smiteworks

ls -ltr /usr/share/smiteworks/
ls -ltr /usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/
ls -ltad /home/ben/.smiteworks
ls -ltar /home/ben/.smiteworks/fgdata

I have not yet attempted to create a new game or join an existing one. Will post more information as I dive in! Thanks again!!!

LordTripod
August 29th, 2020, 21:00
OK, went a little farther:

Created a new CoreRPG campaign and included my Castles & Crusades background
Clicked through imports (there were not many) and options and got to the table top, C&C background logo and chat window
Then looked down at my CPU temp monitor...

...and encountered the same issue I have been encountering when using Fantasy Grounds Classic via PlayOnLinux/Wine...CPU overheating that will burn up my laptop if I try to play. :cry:

I was really hoping with a native client on Linux that the CPU wouldn't get so jacked. This is really disappointing. Screenshot showing it is all FantasyGrounds related processes and hardware specs below. I don't have a dedicated graphics card in this laptop but I have decent RAM and a 2 core CPU with 2 threads per core (granted, over 5 years old, but still)...unless I can get the CPU overheating down to a reasonable level (82 Celsius / 181 Fahrenheit is insane!!! - NOTE: CPU temp not running Fantasy Grounds is 51 Celsius / 124 Fahrenheit, so that's a full 30 degree Celsius spike on CPU temp just from running a single app) ...

I fear I have wasted my money with Unity until a new machine is procured. :(

ben@ben-ThinkPad-T430s
~/Downloads $ sudo lscpu

Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 4
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 2
Socket(s): 1
NUMA node(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 58
Model name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3520M CPU @ 2.90GHz
Stepping: 9
CPU MHz: 1378.519
CPU max MHz: 3600.0000
CPU min MHz: 1200.0000
BogoMIPS: 5786.95
Virtualization: VT-x
L1d cache: 32K
L1i cache: 32K
L2 cache: 256K
L3 cache: 4096K
NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-3
Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm epb ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp kaiser tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts md_clear flush_l1d

ben@ben-ThinkPad-T430s
~/Downloads $ free
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 16125816 2149144 7770540 477408 6206132 13114344
Swap: 7811068 0 7811068

I can also provide my
lshw output report as well if it would be useful in anyone here helping me lower that CPU overheating. I had such high hopes...now I'm kinda bummed...

Jiminimonka
August 29th, 2020, 21:37
Converted it to an Arch package, and installed.

Updating works, loaded a campaign and that works.
Same problem, mouse wheel is going in reverse but no stutter.
Loaded my campaign. Maps are at their max size and cant zoom in or out with the mouse wheel. Zoom to fit button works, and I can move the map view around, but no zooming in or out. Don't know if that is a FGU thing or a bug in this installation.
Dice are behaving as expected (as in they are working fine :)
Combat works, not as well as Classic but thats the same as Windows/Mac FGU as well from my brief try out.

I'll report anything else I discover.

EDIT: CPU is running at around 10% most of the time (watching cores jumping around but its nothing like FGC on Wine, that makes the fans kick in quite a lot.

Jiminimonka
August 29th, 2020, 21:47
Line of Sight tools is super responsive compared to when I used it on windows.

tgm4883
August 30th, 2020, 00:45
I've tested this as much as creating an Arch installer that I can upload to the AUR if people want.

As others have pointed out, the App Directory needs write permission in order to update the application (including the initial download), because it's trying to download the application to protected space. What FGU should probably do is similar how Steam does it, which is the package that gets downloaded and installed from the website is just the installer (which FGU is) but then the application is downloaded and installed into the users home directory (FGU does not currently do this). The data directory seems to default to /home/<USER>/.smiteworks/fgdata so logically a good place for the application may be /home/<USER>/.smiteworks/fgapp since the user will already have write access there.

Obviously this causes duplicated data for multi user systems, but those users could change the app directory and setup permissions for it outside of FGU.

Jafo
August 30th, 2020, 03:32
I've tested this as much as creating an Arch installer that I can upload to the AUR if people want.
I want, please.:D
Especially if it works properly.

tgm4883
August 30th, 2020, 04:14
I want, please.:D
Especially if it works properly.

I'm not sure how well it works, as I'm currently only a demo user (just started looking at FG and roll20), but here's the AUR package I've made. I've also made it to install in /opt rather than /usr/share. It will also still complain about not being able to write to the app directory but if you hit cancel you can go to the advanced settings and choose a place in your home directory for it (I chose ~/FGU)

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/fantasygroundsinstaller/

fabiocm
August 30th, 2020, 07:27
Hi. I tried to use it on my laptop Linux with Ubuntu 20.04 last night and couldn't log in. The message of wrong username and/or password keeps showing, but I'm logged with the exact same account in the windows application.

Kirsa
August 30th, 2020, 07:47
Installed on 20.04 Kubuntu using QApt.

No menu item, but turned up in a search of the menu ... no idea why.

Ran as a my regular user, updated just fine. Dice worked right. For some reason, probably my system, it defaults to Konqueror as my web browser.

So far all is well.

Jafo
August 30th, 2020, 09:03
Thank you, tgm4883, it works just as you said.
I still don't have fonts on the buttons in the launcher.
It is much smoother than FGC w/Proton, but I noticed the CPU usage still goes up as you open more windows inside FG.

exocore
August 30th, 2020, 09:21
Hi,

I also did my first tests today on an old, but slightly modded Thinkpad T420 running Ubuntu 18.04. During my short trial I found no major issues. However I noticed some minor flaws:

FGU appears under "Unnamed" in the "Others" section of the main menu
The buttons on the updater window have white corners, which I assume are supposed to be transparent.
The font in the updater and FGU's main window seem quite blurry. On the game table it looks fine, though.
The dice are always thrown with maximum speed, unlike in FG Classic where the trajectory is based on the mouse cursors speed. They also don't keep their position on the table. Not sure if this is intentional...

System info:

$ neofetch
.-/+oossssoo+/-. arne@TP-T420
`:+ssssssssssssssssss+:` ------------
-+ssssssssssssssssssyyssss+- OS: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS x86_64
.ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso. Host: 4180PH3 ThinkPad T420
/ssssssssssshdmmNNmmyNMMMMhssssss/ Kernel: 4.15.0-108-generic
+ssssssssshmydMMMMMMMNddddyssssssss+ Uptime: 55 days, 17 hours, 8 mins
/sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhmNMMMNhssssssss/ Packages: 4096
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss. Shell: bash 4.4.20
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+ Resolution: 1920x1080
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso DE: Cinnamon 3.6.7
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso WM: Mutter (Muffin)
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+ WM Theme: (Default)
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss. Theme: Adwaita-dark [GTK2/3]
/sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhdNMMMNhssssssss/ Icons: Faenza-Dark [GTK2/3]
+sssssssssdmydMMMMMMMMddddyssssssss+ Terminal: gnome-terminal
/ssssssssssshdmNNNNmyNMMMMhssssss/ CPU: Intel i7-2720QM (8) @ 3.300GHz
.ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso. GPU: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 4200M
-+sssssssssssssssssyyyssss+- Memory: 4640MiB / 15993MiB
.-/+oossssoo+/-.

Cheers,
exo

Jiminimonka
August 30th, 2020, 11:29
I'm not sure how well it works, as I'm currently only a demo user (just started looking at FG and roll20), but here's the AUR package I've made. I've also made it to install in /opt rather than /usr/share. It will also still complain about not being able to write to the app directory but if you hit cancel you can go to the advanced settings and choose a place in your home directory for it (I chose ~/FGU)

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/fantasygroundsinstaller/

I have a Ultimate licence for FGU - I would take the plunge with classic, I reckon there will be discount Unity upgrades for those that missed the kick-start options at various times, but that's a different topic.

I will try the AUR version this evening.

The new linux guy (or gal) seems to be on the ball so the user permissions etc should get sorted soon.

I want to move my players over to FGU but will hold on while they fix then gameplay differences like token lock and such.

Jiminimonka
August 30th, 2020, 17:54
I should have posted this before but I always have my Data folder on a separate drive. So I told the installer to use that drive for the data folder (a copy of my Classic folder) and also made an App folder on the same drive. Works fine.

Jiminimonka
August 31st, 2020, 00:19
Had a player on Windows connect to my table (a copy of our FGC table) and she had no issues connecting. And no issues with anything else either. Worked like a dream. Just the Linux side was an issue - mousewheel not working mostly it seems.

tgm4883
August 31st, 2020, 04:09
Had a player on Windows connect to my table (a copy of our FGC table) and she had no issues connecting. And no issues with anything else either. Worked like a dream. Just the Linux side was an issue - mousewheel not working mostly it seems.

Knowing FGU is written in Unity I've seen this in other Unity apps on Linux as well. If it is the same issue, it looks like it was fixed in a newer version of Unity.

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/linux-input-dot-mousescrolldelta-returns-reversed-values-in-linux-player

lazjen
August 31st, 2020, 09:34
I downloaded the deb file, pulled it apart and manually installed it on my Gentoo system.

I fired it up, the updater ran smoothly and I was able to start the sample campaign (I don't have a licence yet - I'm waiting for this linux version to be released/sold).

It seemed to work fine in my limited playing around. I can also confirm that the mouse wheel scrolling was the reverse of what I was expecting.

Jiminimonka
August 31st, 2020, 09:40
Seems like we are almost there. End of the week I reckon. No pressure!

themensch
September 1st, 2020, 00:29
So, I've chose the path of madness and went ahead and installed this on an AWS EC2 instance running Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS, which I access using nomachine for a remote gui. Desktop environment is i3, and this is all working fine and dandy and snappy. FGU installed just fine, but when I try to run it, it flashes a widget and bombs out before it ever draws enough for me to read the text. It sees the update engine, then it tries to find FantasyGroundsUpdate_NEW and chokes and exits 1. The instance clearly has internet access, and even running with elevated (root) permissions the process dies. Strace tells me it's because no supported renderers are found, so I grabbed freeglut3-dev to get an openGL renderer, no joy. Am I going to have a bad time going down this path, or does anyone that does more desktop linux have a bone they could throw me?

*facepalm* need an instance with a gpu. Will report back when I have some more time to fiddle. - * nope, I can run other openGL apps. Guess I'm trying to live a little too far into the future.

fabiocm
September 1st, 2020, 01:27
Why am I having problem with my login screen at the FG welcome? It makes no sense. I'm using my correct user and password (the same I used to install it on windows), but it is showing invalid username or password message.

Jiminimonka
September 1st, 2020, 07:39
Why am I having problem with my login screen at the FG welcome? It makes no sense. I'm using my correct user and password (the same I used to install it on windows), but it is showing invalid username or password message.

Post some system details. That might help with diagnosis. And paste you password it maybe you mistyped?

lazjen
September 1st, 2020, 08:59
Don't paste your password here though. :)

Jiminimonka
September 1st, 2020, 09:36
Don't paste your password here though. :)

Lol

kuthulu
September 1st, 2020, 16:54
installed on Linux Mint 19.1 via the deb package. No install issues. I do see the mouse scroll wheel issue but that seems to be a known issue. I like using FG in full screen so using the command line entry below works. I also noticed, at least for me, in full screen the mouse wheel is more responsive whereas in windowed mode it seems sluggish.

./FantasyGrounds.x86_64 -screen-fullscreen 1 -screen-width 1920 -screen-height 1080

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmds+.
MMm----::-://////////////oymNMd+` -------------------
MMd /++ -sNMd: OS: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa x86_64
MMNso/` dMM `.::-. .-::.` .hMN: Kernel: 4.15.0-112-generic
ddddMMh dMM :hNMNMNhNMNMNh: `NMm Uptime: 33 days, 18 hours, 48 mins
NMm dMM .NMN/-+MMM+-/NMN` dMM Packages: 2580
NMm dMM -MMm `MMM dMM. dMM Shell: bash 4.4.20
NMm dMM -MMm `MMM dMM. dMM Resolution: 1920x1080
NMm dMM .mmd `mmm yMM. dMM DE: Cinnamon 4.0.10
NMm dMM` ..` ... ydm. dMM WM: Mutter (Muffin)
hMM- +MMd/-------...-:sdds dMM WM Theme: Mint-Y-Dark (Mint-Y-Dark)
-NMm- :hNMNNNmdddddddddy/` dMM Theme: Mint-Y-Dark [GTK2/3]
-dMNs-``-::::-------.`` dMM Icons: Mint-Y [GTK2/3]
`/dMNmy+/:-------------:/yMMM Terminal: gnome-terminal
./ydNMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM CPU: AMD FX-6300 (6) @ 3.500GHz
.MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GPU: AMD Radeon RX 550/550X
Memory: 3876MiB / 16010MiB

Shazburg
September 1st, 2020, 19:34
Ubuntu packaging, popular though the distro is, limits accessibility. Why not use OBS? https://build.opensuse.org/

...... [email protected]
.,cdxxxoc,. .:kKMMMNWMMMNk:. -------------------------
cKMMN0OOOKWMMXo. ; ;0MWk:. .:OMMk. OS: openSUSE Tumbleweed x86_64
;WMK;. .lKMMNM, :NMK, .OMW; Host: X570 AORUS ULTRA -CF
cMW; 'WMMMN ,XMK, oMM' Kernel: 5.8.4-1-default
.MMc ..;l. xMN: KM0 Uptime: 15 hours, 47 mins
'MM. 'NMO oMM Packages: 3669 (rpm)
.MM, .kMMl xMN Shell: bash 5.0.18
KM0 .kMM0. .dl:,.. .WMd Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080, 1920x1080
.XM0. ,OMMK, OMMMK. .XMK DE: Plasma 5.19.4
oWMO:. .;xNMMk, NNNMKl. .xWMx WM: KWin
:ONMMNXMMMKx; . ,xNMWKkxllox0NMWk, WM Theme: Dark-openSUSE-V.2
..... .:dOOXXKOxl, Theme: Dark-openSUSE [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]
Icons: Breeze-openSUSE Dark Icons [Plasma], Breeze-openSUSE Dark Icons [GTK2/3]
Terminal: konsole
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (16) @ 3.600GHz
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT
Memory: 3671MiB / 32046MiB

fabiocm
September 1st, 2020, 20:03
Post some system details. That might help with diagnosis.
Ubuntu 20.04 64 bits
7.6 GB memory
Intel i5-2450 @2.50 GHz x 4
No dedicated graphic card

And paste you password it maybe you mistyped?
 Was you kidding, right?

But I didn't mistyped. It was filled through LastPass, as I did in Windows and forum.

lazjen
September 1st, 2020, 22:57
Ubuntu packaging, popular though the distro is, limits accessibility. Why not use OBS? https://build.opensuse.org/

That would be nice, but if it's too much work, a simple tarball and install script would be nice. I doubt there's going to be a package for Gentoo, for example, so the tarball will be easy enough to manage.

ddavison
September 1st, 2020, 23:19

Just to be safe, please try resetting your password to something with no special characters. Re-test that and then let us know if that was the issue.

ddavison
September 1st, 2020, 23:19
We just posted the installer on Steam as well. You should be able to install through Steam if you want to try that. We marked it as requiring Ubuntu 16.04+. Let us know if you have luck with any other versions there.

lazjen
September 1st, 2020, 23:23
We just posted the installer on Steam as well. You should be able to install through Steam if you want to try that. We marked it as requiring Ubuntu 16.04+. Let us know if you have luck with any other versions there.

Great. I can't see it on the store yet, but I will look again later and see how it goes.

fabiocm
September 1st, 2020, 23:27

Thanks. I was just trying that... and it worked!

Maybe the length of the previous password had caused problems. It was with 24 characters.

LordEntrails
September 1st, 2020, 23:30
FYI, I'm sure SmiteWorks values all feedback, but be aware the decision for at least the initial installation package type was requested and discussed previously in this thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54209-Linux-users-Request-for-information-and-feedback

I would be surprised if they changed the distribution approach at this point in time. Though perhaps for full release they would be willing to consider a different distro.

lazjen
September 1st, 2020, 23:34
Found the FGU install on Steam.

It "installed", but on start it comes up with an error:

...(missing executable) :

.../.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Fantasy Grouunds Unity Demo/FGUSteamLauncher.exe

EDIT: Looking at the files, it looks like it should not have the .exe part?

lazjen
September 2nd, 2020, 00:02
I did a symlink from the FGUSteamLauncher to the exe and that got me past the error, but it failed to find the updater then. I can see the .deb file there but it hasn't been unpacked/installed. I presume this is because it's trying to use a debian based installer?

lazjen
September 2nd, 2020, 00:33
Thanks. I was just trying that... and it worked!

Maybe the length of the previous password had caused problems. It was with 24 characters.

Did you get the Steam installer to work or was your quote of ddavison from the wrong message?

tgm4883
September 2nd, 2020, 04:34
Did you get the Steam installer to work or was your quote of ddavison from the wrong message?

I just downloaded the demo to take a look and the issue is the packaging. SmiteWorks just dumped the .deb file into steam, so there's more work needed. The only files that get installed are

FGUSteamLauncher FGUWebInstall.deb

Also, if I run FGUSteamLauncher it just launches the locally installed version, so it's pretty wonky.

safletcher
September 2nd, 2020, 04:35
So, I'm a bit of a Linux noob, but I thought I would give this a try on an old laptop I recently installed Lubuntu 20.04 on. Everything seems to have installed fine using dpkg but when I try to start the app, a black screen flashes by and nothing else happens.

I checked perms on the folders mentioned at the beginning of this thread and root is the owner on all of them. So, I tried starting it as root but I have the same problem.

Any suggestions?

$ neofetch
.-/+oossssoo+/-. safletcher@Serenity
`:+ssssssssssssssssss+:` -------------------
.ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso. Host: HP Compaq nc8430 (RB554UTR) F.16
/ssssssssssshdmmNNmmyNMMMMhssssss/ Kernel: 5.4.0-42-generic
+ssssssssshmydMMMMMMMNddddyssssssss+ Uptime: 2 hours, 38 mins
/sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhmNMMMNhssssssss/ Packages: 1768 (dpkg), 8 (snap)
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss. Shell: bash 5.0.17
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+ Resolution: 1680x1050
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso DE: Xfce
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso WM: Xfwm4
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+ WM Theme: Greybird
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss. Theme: Greybird [GTK2/3]
/sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhdNMMMNhssssssss/ Icons: elementary-xfce-darker [GTK2/3]
+sssssssssdmydMMMMMMMMddddyssssssss+ Terminal: xfce4-terminal
/ssssssssssshdmNNNNmyNMMMMhssssss/ Terminal Font: DejaVu Sans Mono 9
.ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso. CPU: Intel Core 2 T7200 (2) @ 2.000GHz
-+sssssssssssssssssyyyssss+- GPU: AMD ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
`:+ssssssssssssssssss+:` Memory: 2157MiB / 3370MiB
.-/+oossssoo+/-.

lazjen
September 2nd, 2020, 04:43
I just downloaded the demo to take a look and the issue is the packaging. SmiteWorks just dumped the .deb file into steam, so there's more work needed. The only files that get installed are

Also, if I run FGUSteamLauncher it just launches the locally installed version, so it's pretty wonky.

Yes, that's what I got too - thanks for the confirmation.

From what I can tell, the app setup doesn't look too complex - the steam setup could be done with a tarball, etc. Should then work for any Linux system that can run steam.

Jiminimonka
September 2nd, 2020, 07:09
FYI, I'm sure SmiteWorks values all feedback, but be aware the decision for at least the initial installation package type was requested and discussed previously in this thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54209-Linux-users-Request-for-information-and-feedback

I would be surprised if they changed the distribution approach at this point in time. Though perhaps for full release they would be willing to consider a different distro.

The .deb file is just fine so far. However if you read that thread there are some suggestions that will make it install on any system out of the box already.

Anyway doesnt matter, the clunky mouse wheel does matter!! That is the only thing stopping me swapping my campaign over to Unity this week :)

I haven't tried the Steam version as it went up as I went to bed but I'll see what lazjen reports before I try it.

lazjen
September 2nd, 2020, 09:25
I haven't tried the Steam version as it went up as I went to bed but I'll see what lazjen reports before I try it.

Not much to report yet - it doesn't install properly.

ddavison
September 2nd, 2020, 14:02

.../.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Fantasy Grouunds Unity Demo/FGUSteamLauncher.exe

It sounds like it thinks your OS is Windows. There are three separate installations available on Steam. The Windows one specifies FGUSteamLauncher.exe, the MacOS one launches FGUSteamLauncher.app and the Linux build launches FGUSteamLauncher (no extension). Launching FGUSteamLauncher will two one of two things. If FGU is already installed, it will simply launch it. If FGU is not installed yet, it will launch the .deb package to install the program.

ddavison
September 2nd, 2020, 14:03

That is by design. If it is already installed, it should launch FGU. If it is not installed yet, it should fire up the installer.

WishX
September 2nd, 2020, 18:59

I've been able to confirm this on Ubuntu 18.04 and Kubuntu 20.04 when trying to install from Steam. We're looking into it now.

WishX
September 2nd, 2020, 20:34
I've been able to confirm this on Ubuntu 18.04 and Kubuntu 20.04 when trying to install from Steam. We're looking into it now.

The Steam launcher looking for a .exe has been fixed. If you'd like to clear your download cache in Steam and have another stab at it, we'd love to hear how it goes.

Jiminimonka
September 2nd, 2020, 21:17
The Steam launcher looking for a .exe has been fixed. If you'd like to clear your download cache in Steam and have another stab at it, we'd love to hear how it goes.

I cleared the Steam cache, tried to install and it thinks it is a Windows .exe so its installing with Proton.

EDIT: OK - this might be cos I had the shortcut set to force Proton - so unset that, trying again. Reporting back in a min.

Jiminimonka
September 2nd, 2020, 21:24
OK - getting this Steam Error

The folder where it is meant to be is empty (/SteamLibrar/steamapps/common/Fantasy Grounds Unity

ddavison
September 2nd, 2020, 21:44

The folder where it is meant to be is empty (/SteamLibrar/steamapps/common/Fantasy Grounds Unity

Can you try closing and reopening Steam and then try it again?

kmalsom
September 2nd, 2020, 21:57
So, I'm a bit of a Linux noob, but I thought I would give this a try on an old laptop I recently installed Lubuntu 20.04 on. Everything seems to have installed fine using dpkg but when I try to start the app, a black screen flashes by and nothing else happens.

I checked perms on the folders mentioned at the beginning of this thread and root is the owner on all of them. So, I tried starting it as root but I have the same problem.

Any suggestions?

$ neofetch
.-/+oossssoo+/-. safletcher@Serenity
`:+ssssssssssssssssss+:` -------------------
.ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso. Host: HP Compaq nc8430 (RB554UTR) F.16
/ssssssssssshdmmNNmmyNMMMMhssssss/ Kernel: 5.4.0-42-generic
+ssssssssshmydMMMMMMMNddddyssssssss+ Uptime: 2 hours, 38 mins
/sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhmNMMMNhssssssss/ Packages: 1768 (dpkg), 8 (snap)
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+ Resolution: 1680x1050
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso DE: Xfce
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso WM: Xfwm4
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+ WM Theme: Greybird
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss. Theme: Greybird [GTK2/3]
/sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhdNMMMNhssssssss/ Icons: elementary-xfce-darker [GTK2/3]
+sssssssssdmydMMMMMMMMddddyssssssss+ Terminal: xfce4-terminal
/ssssssssssshdmNNNNmyNMMMMhssssss/ Terminal Font: DejaVu Sans Mono 9
.ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso. CPU: Intel Core 2 T7200 (2) @ 2.000GHz
-+sssssssssssssssssyyyssss+- GPU: AMD ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
`:+ssssssssssssssssss+:` Memory: 2157MiB / 3370MiB
.-/+oossssoo+/-.

I don't believe that that machine has an advanced enough video card to run. I have a similar laptop that won't run it (X1200 graphics).

kmalsom
September 2nd, 2020, 21:59

Are you running steam for linux or running it under wine/proton?

Jiminimonka
September 2nd, 2020, 22:15
Can you try closing and reopening Steam and then try it again?

When I clear the cache, it requires me to re-login - but I have done as you suggested and restarted Steam.

Same error. I should point out I am running Arch not Ubuntu, so if the steam installer is still doing the .deb thing, that is probably the issue (and kmalsom yes, its the linux version of steam)

lazjen
September 2nd, 2020, 22:47
When I clear the cache, it requires me to re-login - but I have done as you suggested and restarted Steam.

Same error. I should point out I am running Arch not Ubuntu, so if the steam installer is still doing the .deb thing, that is probably the issue (and kmalsom yes, its the linux version of steam)

Confirm the same. I'm also not on Ubuntu - using Gentoo instead.

At least we're past the .exe problem now. :)

skj310
September 3rd, 2020, 00:03
installed on Linux Mint 19.1 via the deb package. No install issues. I do see the mouse scroll wheel issue but that seems to be a known issue. I like using FG in full screen so using the command line entry below works. I also noticed, at least for me, in full screen the mouse wheel is more responsive whereas in windowed mode it seems sluggish.

./FantasyGrounds.x86_64 -screen-fullscreen 1 -screen-width 1920 -screen-height 1080

Oh my stars and garters! Brilliant!!!!!

Why-o-why haven't i known about this little bit of advise! Awesome. Savvy person named kuthulu ... please tell me if there's a secret to this command to get it to fullscreen on my 2nd monitor instead of my primary? I tried:

/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGrounds.x86_64 -screen-fullscreen 2 -screen-width 1920 -screen-height 1200
But that's not quite the ticket. Any additional advise while i try my luck with some google-fu?

skj310
September 3rd, 2020, 00:09
FYI installers of LX ... although many have noted in the early threads that:
/bin/FantasyGrounds
/usr/share/smiteworks/

post install script are the permissions of the user that installed vs root:root ... I just left them as is and did not change the permissions post install. That being said I did try out changing to root:root in these folders as one would expect them to be, and in doing so FGU would still start but i would get administrative warnings as has been mentioned in other posts and screenshot. When I left things as they were post install ... it worked as one would expect it to work.

Zaister
September 3rd, 2020, 10:07
I was able to install the build on my Gentoo Linux system, and it works fine, except that on my system the mouse wheel does not work at all. Is there something I can do about that?

Jiminimonka
September 3rd, 2020, 10:19
I was able to install the build on my Gentoo Linux system, and it works fine, except that on my system the mouse wheel does not work at all. Is there something I can do about that?

This is really the main issue on linux. The mouse wheel! Hopefully that is sorted soon.

lazjen
September 3rd, 2020, 11:47

Did you use Steam for the install or did you use the deb linked in the start of the thread?

Zaister
September 3rd, 2020, 11:50
Did you use Steam for the install or did you use the deb linked in the start of the thread?
I used the deb file from the start of the thread, converted it with deb2targz, extracted it and moved everything into the appropriate folders.

lazjen
September 3rd, 2020, 11:56
I used the deb file from the start of the thread, converted it with deb2targz, extracted it and moved everything into the appropriate folders.

I did a similar manual process for my first install.

Moon Wizard
September 3rd, 2020, 19:04
While I was talking with Steven today reviewing the Linux installer testing, we just wanted to let everyone know that we did push a new installer update on Tuesday evening. When running any installer tests, please download the latest version of the file before testing. (just to be sure)

Regards,
JPG

Jiminimonka
September 3rd, 2020, 19:18
While I was talking with Steven today reviewing the Linux installer testing, we just wanted to let everyone know that we did push a new installer update on Tuesday evening. When running any installer tests, please download the latest version of the file before testing. (just to be sure)

Regards,
JPG

Oh, so 1.0-1 is old?

Downloaded using the link in the first post, it is still 1.0-1 version wise. Didn't change the version number?

smelton
September 3rd, 2020, 21:57
Oh, so 1.0-1 is old?

Downloaded using the link in the first post, it is still 1.0-1 version wise. Didn't change the version number?

The version number didn't change

Zaister
September 3rd, 2020, 22:36
The problem with the non-working mouse wheel is in the build I downloaded this morning.

smelton
September 3rd, 2020, 22:44
The problem with the non-working mouse wheel is in the build I downloaded this morning.

I'll work on that fix next right after we get the Linux installer nailed down.

Jiminimonka
September 3rd, 2020, 22:45
The version number didn't change

OK. It works fine for me (the install stuff) but the Mousewheel is still an issue. The only issue I can see. Don't know if the permissions got fixed, I dont use the Linux folders I have the App and Data folders on a seperate drive.

Zaister
September 3rd, 2020, 22:48

Awesome!

emptyflask
September 3rd, 2020, 23:20
This seems unlikely, but has anyone been able to run FGU on NixOS? If not, I'll try following https://nixos.wiki/wiki/Packaging/Binaries later...

Installing through Steam usually works for every other game, but in this case it seems to just download the same .deb file which expects things to exist in /usr, but that's empty on this linux distro. Maybe because it just runs an installer?
Will the final release rely on Steam for installation and updates?

Jiminimonka
September 3rd, 2020, 23:25

Excellent!

smelton
September 3rd, 2020, 23:38
This seems unlikely, but has anyone been able to run FGU on NixOS? If not, I'll try following https://nixos.wiki/wiki/Packaging/Binaries later...

Installing through Steam usually works for every other game, but in this case it seems to just download the same .deb file which expects things to exist in /usr, but that's empty on this linux distro. Maybe because it just runs an installer?
Will the final release rely on Steam for installation and updates?

When installing thru Steam you get FGUSteamLauncher and the .deb package.. we are currrently testing an .rpm package as well. FGUSteamLauncher first checks to see if FG is installed.. if found it's launched, otherwise it launches the installer. The .deb install should work in most cases if you are running a debian based distro.

ddavison
September 3rd, 2020, 23:41
The new Steam build that smelton gave me is now up on Steam for the FGU app and FGU demo. It doesn't have the RPM version yet.

lazjen
September 3rd, 2020, 23:58

For Linux, do you plan the installer to be via Steam only or have a choice of Steam vs something else (e.g. the deb file)?

EDIT: Just noticed the comment about RPM. What about a simple install shell script with a tarball?

ddavison
September 4th, 2020, 00:30
I think DEB and RPM are going to be the only options we officially support. Hopefully some of you clever Linux gurus will be able spinoff other installers for the those users who need a different version.

absente
September 4th, 2020, 00:37
Did an install on pop_os today through steam. It wouldn't launch through steam after install. Ended up running the steamlauncher it downloaded manually and it required a password to sudo to root and put the binaries in /usr/share/smiteworks. After that the game is launching through the steam interface just fine, but I'm curious as to how updates will work. Games normally go into $HOME/.steam so they can be updated by steam without having to change to root.

lazjen
September 4th, 2020, 00:43
I think DEB and RPM are going to be the only options we officially support. Hopefully some of you clever Linux gurus will be able spinoff other installers for the those users who need a different version.

It will be possible, but would have been even easier to manage with a simple shell script + tarball. ;)

izzle121
September 4th, 2020, 01:41
It will be possible, but would have been even easier to manage with a simple shell script + tarball. ;)

Indeed, tarball's can be used globally - regardless of distribution.

izzle121
September 4th, 2020, 02:03
I'm still having issues running FGUpdaterEngine.x86_64 on Slackware64-14.2. The issue appears to be libpthread, which is libpthread-2.23.so in Slackware64-14.2.
I have been successful in executing FGUUpdaterEngine.x86_64 in Slackware64-current which uses libpthread-2.30.
I would prefer to run on Slackware64-14.2, but if that isn't an option then I'll live with running it in -current until 15.0 is released.

smelton
September 4th, 2020, 03:39
Did an install on pop_os today through steam. It wouldn't launch through steam after install. Ended up running the steamlauncher it downloaded manually and it required a password to sudo to root and put the binaries in /usr/share/smiteworks. After that the game is launching through the steam interface just fine, but I'm curious as to how updates will work. Games normally go into $HOME/.steam so they can be updated by steam without having to change to root.

Updates for both the application and DLC will be delivered using the FGU updater, same as Windows and Mac... in fact, all of our installation packages install the FGU updater program and the actual install of Fantasy Grounds doesn't happen until you update for the first time.

smelton
September 4th, 2020, 03:43
For Linux, do you plan the installer to be via Steam only or have a choice of Steam vs something else (e.g. the deb file)?

EDIT: Just noticed the comment about RPM. What about a simple install shell script with a tarball?

A link to download the .deb package is available in the first post of this thread. Once we get through QA, each package we support will be available for download on the FGU download page.

lazjen
September 4th, 2020, 06:07
A link to download the .deb package is available in the first post of this thread. Once we get through QA, each package we support will be available for download on the FGU download page.

Yeah, that's cool. I've been thinking that my preferred way of purchasing, downloading, etc will be via your site and not Steam.

Jiminimonka
September 4th, 2020, 07:36
Indeed, tarball's can be used globally - regardless of distribution.

So that should be (would be? Is?) the best option. Then you have to support just one distribution. Tarball!

lazjen
September 4th, 2020, 07:54
So that should be (would be? Is?) the best option. Then you have to support just one distribution. Tarball!

Although I haven't looked into how Steam handles things for installation, it would also have the advantage for working everywhere for all Steam installs too.

Moon Wizard
September 4th, 2020, 19:24
We don't want to claim to support ALL Linux builds; because that is a rather large statement to make given the huge amount of Linux OS variety.

Also, we want it to be easy to install using common package managers, so that the files are all installed to the correct place. And, we want to be able to re-use the same builds we make to distribute via the website be used for Steam to simplify our build pipeline and tools. If we just released as a general tarball, then we wouldn't have any way of making sure that FGU gets installed to the "standard" location to make sure everything just works by default.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
September 4th, 2020, 19:25
A new build of the installer is available from the download link in the first post.

Changes: Increments version number; application shortcut created now launches FGU client instead of updater; permissions adjusted on updater

Regards,
JPG

tgm4883
September 4th, 2020, 20:15
Thanks @Moon Wizard, just support .deb and .rpm and you'll cover 90% of the Linux users and the rest will be able to handle making packages from those. You're distributing binaries anyway, so it's not like someone's going to pull the package into official repos and build it from source.

tgm4883
September 4th, 2020, 20:18
A new build of the installer is available from the download link in the first post.

Changes: Increments version number; application shortcut created now launches FGU client instead of updater; permissions adjusted on updater

Regards,
JPG

Any chance we can get the filename to include the version number? The AUR scripts should be failing currently because the signature won't match.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGUWebInstall.deb

Jiminimonka
September 4th, 2020, 21:22
Trying to connect to DMs server - Fatal network engine error occured. Logs attached. I am on Linux (no firewall) and DM has his ports forwarded.

Moon Wizard
September 4th, 2020, 21:44
I think we should probably keep the Linux-specific errors in the Linux Testing thread for now; since we're still working though Linux-specific considerations.

The error message being reported is that the client is not able to talk to the relay server. Is there any reason why your Linux machine/VM would not be able to access specific IP addresses?

Regards,
JPG

Jiminimonka
September 4th, 2020, 21:53
I think we should probably keep the Linux-specific errors in the Linux Testing thread for now; since we're still working though Linux-specific considerations.

The error message being reported is that the client is not able to talk to the relay server. Is there any reason why your Linux machine/VM would not be able to access specific IP addresses?

Regards,
JPG

I'm connecting to a Windows host. I don't have a firewall. Connecting via IP worked fine.

Also, connecting from Windows to Linux (my Linux, and the same persons Windows PC connected to my DM table) worked last night just fine - using the cloud server. So might be nothing to do with Linux, just a connection issue, that thread is enormous, lets face it.

Jiminimonka
September 4th, 2020, 22:37
Since we are also doing Linux errors - connected to a Windows host. Game works fine but the map shows duplicate tokens of character AND monsters but the Windows players dont have this problem, its just my Linux FGU instance.

For context, there is are extra tokens for all the PCs, an extra "man bear pig" but the 2 vrocks have not moved so they are not duplicated.

lazjen
September 4th, 2020, 22:45
We don't want to claim to support ALL Linux builds; because that is a rather large statement to make given the huge amount of Linux OS variety.

This is not what I meant with my statements. Providing a tarball + installation script means those of us who want to make build packages for non DEB or RPM systems can do so a bit easier. I do not mean for you guys to support all Linux distros.

Moon Wizard
September 4th, 2020, 23:00
@Jiminimonka,
We identified a problematic Linux build was in the channel from earlier today; and we've replaced it with a new build that should work better for the networking. It may or may not fix the specific issue you encountered; but it did have some effect on networking. Make sure to run a new Check for Updates before you try again.

For the duplicate tokens, I think we were just able to identify the specific conditions for that yesterday on all the builds relating to re-sharing an image. Closing and re-opening on the player side should reset the view.

Regards,
JPG

Jiminimonka
September 4th, 2020, 23:30
I update every time I run it, and installed via the new Linux builder about 10 minutes before the table started. For speed we are all connecting via IP at the moment, I will try connecting via the DM name Cloud etc. again once the session is over.

skj310
September 5th, 2020, 03:30
Glad to hear that you'll fix the mouse wheel woes, that's great! With that in mind I should also mention, and this really isn't a big deal but I thought i'd mention anyway, is that when you are grabbing frame edges within FGU the mouse cursor defaults to a white-black-no-shadow win98 looking thing versus the cursor resize/drag shape that is default to my desktop:

Please let me know if I need to give more details.

Totally not a biggie in the scheme of things, but just something i noted.

izzle121
September 5th, 2020, 03:58
I just want to thank you all at SmiteWorks for making your incredible software available on Linux natively, it is MUCH MUCH MUCH appreciated!!!!!

skj310
September 5th, 2020, 09:49

Hey @Kuthulu, sorry to pester, but previously I has asked how to get this to fullscreen on my 2nd monitor ... I FIGURED IT OUT!!! Therefore if you wanna get this to go fullscreen on your 2nd monitor, perhaps the following will work for you as well:

./FantasyGrounds.x86_64 -screen-width 1920 -screen-height 1200 -monitor 2 -screen-fullscreen 1

Jiminimonka
September 5th, 2020, 10:10
@Jiminimonka,
We identified a problematic Linux build was in the channel from earlier today; and we've replaced it with a new build that should work better for the networking. It may or may not fix the specific issue you encountered; but it did have some effect on networking. Make sure to run a new Check for Updates before you try again.

For the duplicate tokens, I think we were just able to identify the specific conditions for that yesterday on all the builds relating to re-sharing an image. Closing and re-opening on the player side should reset the view.

Regards,
JPG

OK today I just tried to connect to various unpassworded tables that where in the launcher. Some worked, some did not. Logs attached.

traceroute to connect.noblewhale.com (x.199.60.165), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 _gateway (192.168.0.1) 2.955 ms 3.654 ms 4.291 ms
2 * * *
3 my isp (62.252.71.109) 27.033 ms 27.313 ms 28.032 ms
4 my isp (62.252.64.153) 28.743 ms 29.006 ms 28.421 ms
5 * * *
6 m686-mp2.cvx1-b.lis.dial.ntli.net (62.254.42.174) 34.031 ms 14.850 ms 20.386 ms
7 * 213.46.174.118 (213.46.174.118) 21.502 ms 21.159 ms
8 ldn-bb3-link.telia.net (62.115.122.188) 28.707 ms 29.625 ms 34.278 ms
9 adm-bb3-link.telia.net (213.155.136.99) 34.812 ms 35.126 ms adm-bb4-link.telia.net (62.115.113.238) 33.356 ms
10 adm-b1-link.telia.net (62.115.137.65) 35.990 ms 36.539 ms adm-b1-link.telia.net (62.115.136.195) 45.638 ms
11 digitalocean-ic-335925-adm-b1.c.telia.net (213.248.68.169) 81.736 ms 82.089 ms digitalocean-ic-335926-adm-b1.c.telia.net (213.248.81.75) 46.396 ms
12 138.197.250.85 (138.197.250.85) 27.305 ms * 138.197.250.89 (138.197.250.89) 25.840 ms
13 138.197.250.97 (138.197.250.97) 26.601 ms 26.386 ms *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *

Jiminimonka
September 5th, 2020, 10:11
INSTALLER FILE LAST UPDATED: September 1, 2020

NOTE: The Linux installer is only available via this link. While we are working on a Steam version, it is not ready for testing on Steam yet.

Download

We have a build of the Linux applications ready for people to help us put it through the paces to make sure it installs and runs like the other versions.

As noted in the Overview and Download thread, Ubuntu 16.04+ (64-bit only) is the supported platform for this Linux installation. Your mileage will vary for other Linux installations, and only Ubuntu is planned to be supported at this time. The installer is a Debian package.

Known Issues

Application "start menu" link always runs updater; and not main application.

Issue Reporting

Please post any issues to this thread, and include your OS and OS version information. Also, please include any information that may be unique to your system, or specific steps on how to recreate the issue.

Regards,
JPG

Can you update this top line to reflect the last update please. Thanks

Foldi-One
September 5th, 2020, 19:10
I've had an issue with either 4:3 screenratio or perhaps running on lower resolution screens - not dug into it much yet but can confirm it appears on that laptop on the supported Ubuntu variant as well as my usual distro.
What happens is that the buttons and mouse pointer will not correspond. seems like the window is scaling to full screen properly but the buttons are not, if I had to guess i'd say from 0x0 pixel they are staying spaced as if the screen was a deeper screen - the horizontal seems about right though its hard to tell but in the vertical the cursor is always significantly below the button it will register on.

Not at all sure why yet, but it would be nice to keep being able to use my old laptop sometimes and I expect there are a few others with portable machines with VGA type pixel counts.
For what its worth so far encounted this problem with two cf-19 toughbooks with 1024x768 screens.

izzle121
September 5th, 2020, 19:24
One thing I noticed after re-packaging for Slackware is that the FantasyGrounds.x86_64, FantasyGroundsUpdater, FGUpdaterEngine.x86_64 have SUID set. Is there any particular reason why? It's affecting my ability to have the AppData on an NFS share.

Also, it started working on Slackware64-14.2 once I installed it the Slackware way.

Jiminimonka
September 5th, 2020, 21:43
I'm gettng errors loading some maps from my module into my campaign.

I have gone back in and checked the images before exporting them. Log files attached.

cas206
September 5th, 2020, 21:49
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS"

Found 1 NVIDIA devices
Device ID: 0
Device name: GeForce GTX 1080 (*PrimaryCard)
GPU internal ID: GPU-2f93cdf1-2af1-4273-58b5-62c46c9f6796

I downloaded from this thread. Double clicked deb file to use built in software manager to install. I was able to get through the installer, log in, apply license, download updates/content. I then get to the main menu. I try to create a campaign using 5e, LAN, port 1802 and hit start. I get the loading window with "hamburger" icon and folder icon in the top left. But I never get to the FG desktop.

Moon Wizard
September 5th, 2020, 22:00
@Jiminimonka,

Where did you get those modules and/or images? Do they load on other OS versions of FGU?

Thanks,
JPG

Jiminimonka
September 5th, 2020, 22:44
Right clicking on the map and "Revert Changes" seems to fix that issue.

Jiminimonka
September 5th, 2020, 22:46
@Jiminimonka,

Where did you get those modules and/or images? Do they load on other OS versions of FGU?

Thanks,
JPG

The module is my own, and so are the maps. But I appear to have fixed it - Revert Changes did it so must have been some tokens from combat tracker or something interfering. IDTenT user error.

The same module loaded into FGC with "altered" maps didn't throw this error and worked fine. In FGU the error also doesnt load the image, so tokens and markers are on a blank (or masked) map. (I have seperate drives for FGC and FGU Data folders, not sharing them).

kbc
September 6th, 2020, 03:23
I have a Linux system running Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS which is a variant of Ubuntu.

There are two issues that I have noted so far.
Neither is debilitating, merely a nuisance.

1) The scroll wheel operating in reverse in relation to Windows. This behavior is unique to FGU for Linux.
The version for Windows on my Win7 system operates as expected.

2) On both versions, Linux and Windows, FGU does not allow the Dice to be re-positioned within the work area.
Classic does allow Dice to be re-positioned anywhere within the main window and is not covered by a sub-window.

Thanks.

LordEntrails
September 6th, 2020, 05:16
I have a Linux system running Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS which is a variant of Ubuntu.

There are two issues that I have noted so far.
Neither is debilitating, merely a nuisance.

1) The scroll wheel operating in reverse in relation to Windows. This behavior is unique to FGU for Linux.
The version for Windows on my Win7 system operates as expected.

2) On both versions, Linux and Windows, FGU does not allow the Dice to be re-positioned within the work area.
Classic does allow Dice to be re-positioned anywhere within the main window and is not covered by a sub-window.

Thanks.
Welcome :)
Others have reported #1. It sound like its an issue in the Unity Engine itself. Hopefully there is a fix soon. #2 is as intended, that capability is not present in FGU.

Jiminimonka
September 6th, 2020, 10:44
The mousewheel issue is really bad actually. It works OK but in reverse on the launcher but not at all (at least to the human eye) in FGU. So no map zooming, no scroll down pages. The UI deisgn is highly reliant on the mousewheel, scroll bars are tiny or no existent on most UI elements so the mouse wheel is essential.

Still I've switch to FGU now.

PorkBBQ
September 6th, 2020, 22:21
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS"

Found 1 NVIDIA devices
Device ID: 0
Device name: GeForce GTX 1080 (*PrimaryCard)
GPU internal ID: GPU-2f93cdf1-2af1-4273-58b5-62c46c9f6796

I downloaded from this thread. Double clicked deb file to use built in software manager to install. I was able to get through the installer, log in, apply license, download updates/content. I then get to the main menu. I try to create a campaign using 5e, LAN, port 1802 and hit start. I get the loading window with "hamburger" icon and folder icon in the top left. But I never get to the FG desktop.

cas206, I'm seeing the same thing. I've got a clean Ubuntu system (just bought the hardware yesterday) and I've not been able to get past that. I've tried both local and cloud/private.

The version is v4.0.0 STANDARD (2020-09-04). I've not moved move my GPU over yet, so I'm just using integrated graphics for now, but so far I've not seen anything which would tax that.

Zaister
September 6th, 2020, 22:23
The mousewheel issue is really bad actually. It works OK but in reverse on the launcher but not at all (at least to the human eye) in FGU. So no map zooming, no scroll down pages. The UI deisgn is highly reliant on the mousewheel, scroll bars are tiny or no existent on most UI elements so the mouse wheel is essential.

Still I've switch to FGU now.
For me, the mouse wheel does not work at all, regardless of direction.

cas206
September 7th, 2020, 19:21
cas206, I'm seeing the same thing. I've got a clean Ubuntu system (just bought the hardware yesterday) and I've not been able to get past that. I've tried both local and cloud/private.

The version is v4.0.0 STANDARD (2020-09-04). I've not moved move my GPU over yet, so I'm just using integrated graphics for now, but so far I've not seen anything which would tax that.

Thanks for confirming that it's not just my setup.

Addendum: Trying to load sample 5e campaign gives same result. Never gets to desktop.

scotland0208
September 8th, 2020, 02:29
Thanks for confirming that it's not just my setup.

Addendum: Trying to load sample 5e campaign gives same result. Never gets to desktop.

I have the exact same issue as you and PorkBBQ.

Fresh install of the latest Ubuntu, installs fine but cannot load the sample campaign.

WishX
September 8th, 2020, 15:13
I, too, can confirm the "not getting into the game" error with the build presented.
This test was performed on an Ubuntu 20.04 VM.

[9/8/2020 9:46:55 AM] FGU: v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-09-04)
[9/8/2020 9:46:55 AM] OS: Linux 5.4 Ubuntu 20.04 64bit
[9/8/2020 9:46:55 AM] GRAPHICS: llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.0, 256 bits) : 512
[9/8/2020 9:46:55 AM] USER: TestorVM1
[9/8/2020 9:46:55 AM] Launcher scene starting.
[9/8/2020 9:47:06 AM] Starting cloud server mode. [TestorVM1]
[9/8/2020 9:47:06 AM] Game server started. [104.248.118.207:60767]
[9/8/2020 9:47:06 AM] Launcher scene exiting.
[9/8/2020 9:47:06 AM] Match successfully created on lobby.
[9/8/2020 9:47:07 AM] Tabletop scene starting.
[9/8/2020 9:47:07 AM] NETWORK STATUS: [Server] [Connected]
[Server Type - CLOUD - PRIVATE]
Also confirmed using Pop!_OS 20.04 64bit:

[9/8/2020 10:46:16 AM] FGU: v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-09-04)
[9/8/2020 10:46:16 AM] OS: Linux 5.4 Pop 20.04 64bit
[9/8/2020 10:46:16 AM] GRAPHICS: llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.0, 256 bits) : 512
[9/8/2020 10:46:16 AM] USER: TestorVM1
[9/8/2020 10:46:16 AM] Launcher scene starting.
[9/8/2020 10:46:27 AM] Daily session backup created.
[9/8/2020 10:46:27 AM] Starting cloud server mode. [TestorVM1]
[9/8/2020 10:46:28 AM] Game server started. [104.131.11.8:55083]
[9/8/2020 10:46:28 AM] Launcher scene exiting.
[9/8/2020 10:46:28 AM] Match successfully created on lobby.
[9/8/2020 10:46:28 AM] Tabletop scene starting.
[9/8/2020 10:46:28 AM] NETWORK STATUS: [Server] [Connected]
[Server Type - CLOUD - PRIVATE]
Also confirmed in Ubuntu 18.04.3 64bit:

[9/8/2020 11:24:59 AM] FGU: v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-09-04)
[9/8/2020 11:24:59 AM] OS: Linux 5.4 Ubuntu 18.04 64bit
[9/8/2020 11:24:59 AM] GRAPHICS: llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.0, 256 bits) : 512
[9/8/2020 11:24:59 AM] USER: TestorVM1
[9/8/2020 11:24:59 AM] Launcher scene starting.
[9/8/2020 11:25:10 AM] Daily session backup created.
[9/8/2020 11:25:10 AM] Starting cloud server mode. [TestorVM1]
[9/8/2020 11:25:10 AM] Game server started. [104.131.11.8:53915]
[9/8/2020 11:25:10 AM] Launcher scene exiting.
[9/8/2020 11:25:10 AM] Match successfully created on lobby.
[9/8/2020 11:25:11 AM] Tabletop scene starting.
[9/8/2020 11:25:11 AM] NETWORK STATUS: [Server] [Connected]
[Server Type - CLOUD - PUBLIC]

Jiminimonka
September 8th, 2020, 16:13
Smiteworks, don't think I said it before, but thanks for getting this on Linux! GG

shishz
September 8th, 2020, 20:18
On Fedora 32, I've gotten to where the install asks me to log in. I enter my user/password and it says "Logging in." and then nothing happens (hang).

In FGUpdaterEngine.log I see again and again:

Error: Unknown Error
Retrying in 10 seconds

Any ideas?

smelton
September 8th, 2020, 21:02
I have the exact same issue as you and PorkBBQ.

Fresh install of the latest Ubuntu, installs fine but cannot load the sample campaign.

Please run an update. This should be fixed now.

WishX
September 8th, 2020, 21:07
Please run an update. This should be fixed now.
Can confirm. The Ubuntu 18.04.3 VM and Ubuntu 20.04 Vm installs from earlier updated and worked, then I tried on a real Kubuntu 20.04 install and it worked as well.

PorkBBQ
September 9th, 2020, 00:47
I can confirm as well. I was able to connect to my GM's server and see my character. Woot!

Thanks, smelton.

Jiminimonka
September 9th, 2020, 09:35
Everyone on Windows connected to my Linux machine for 4 hour session on Monday. Now just that mousewheel ;)

Foldi-One
September 9th, 2020, 09:58
I've had an issue with either 4:3 screenratio or perhaps running on lower resolution screens - not dug into it much yet but can confirm it appears on that laptop on the supported Ubuntu variant as well as my usual distro.
What happens is that the buttons and mouse pointer will not correspond. seems like the window is scaling to full screen properly but the buttons are not, if I had to guess i'd say from 0x0 pixel they are staying spaced as if the screen was a deeper screen - the horizontal seems about right though its hard to tell but in the vertical the cursor is always significantly below the button it will register on.

Having played around some more I can confirm its a UI scaling related issue - in the application settings changing the UI scale so it is larger than the screen pixel count pushes all the buttons into the wrong place but only it would seem in the vertical direction the horizontal remains aligned with the button correctly. So for that small laptop reduce UI scale significantly and it all works now (and is still perfectly useable in scale). I don't have a handy windows box to test it on, but I suspect this might be a bug in the application not just the Linux variant.

craigbert
September 9th, 2020, 19:45
Hi All, thanks for working on this port! I am trying it for the first time and I have a quick / easy question.
If I create a campaign on my Windows box and then jump over to my Linux box (or vice versa) is there a way to replicate them from one to the other?

Thanks,

Craigbert

PorkBBQ
September 9th, 2020, 19:55
If I create a campaign on my Windows box and then jump over to my Linux box (or vice versa) is there a way to replicate them from one to the other?

Good question.I'm thinking about using a NAS for this sort of stuff. Device independence and backups are good things. Would that work? I imagine running two servers at the same time, both using the same files, is going to cause lots of trouble. But one at a time, is is safe to mix and match machines? How about EOLN sequences? Any special concerns?

WishX
September 9th, 2020, 20:37
All the files should be cross-compatible in format. Naturally, the file systems themselves will be different and paths on each system, but the files themselves should open and work on any OS.

Also, it is recommended to save locally and then back that up to a NAS or cloud. You don't want a network hiccup or dropped connection to corrupt a file in transit.

Jiminimonka
September 9th, 2020, 20:42
Hi All, thanks for working on this port! I am trying it for the first time and I have a quick / easy question.

Thanks,

Craigbert

If the Windows and Linux version use the same folder for Data then that will work fine - I used to have it setup this way (actually probably still do but my windows partition has not had a visit in 6 months)

craigbert
September 9th, 2020, 20:50
Thanks All. I will give that a try and report back here if I come across any issues.

LordEntrails
September 9th, 2020, 23:30
I imagine running two servers at the same time, both using the same files, is going to cause lots of trouble. But one at a time, is is safe to mix and match machines?
Yes, two hosting sessions of FG (i.e. two servers or two instances) accessing the same campaign data WILL cause data loss. Been there, done that.

One at a time is safe. Been there, done that, except when I forgot and edited the same campaign from two instances and then see above :)

Moon Wizard
September 10th, 2020, 00:55
The mouse wheel issue turns out to be a Unity engine issue that requires us to upgrade our Unity build tools. It's on our plate to do soon; but don't want to commit to exact fix date until we actually do the migration and make sure there are no issues from moving to the newer Unity build tools. There are sometimes migration issues, especially for third-party libraries.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
September 10th, 2020, 01:39
*lol* come on, when was the last time a migration had unexpected errors?

Or I guess the better question is, when did a migration not? (Not any of the last 14 in 5 years my work did!)

Jiminimonka
September 10th, 2020, 10:28
The mouse wheel issue turns out to be a Unity engine issue that requires us to upgrade our Unity build tools. It's on our plate to do soon; but don't want to commit to exact fix date until we actually do the migration and make sure there are no issues from moving to the newer Unity build tools. There are sometimes migration issues, especially for third-party libraries.

Regards,
JPG

There are gonna be issues but also some issues will go away, mousewheel probably somewhere in the middle of good things that updating Unity to the latest version will fix.

Software development was so easy when it was done in assembly on standard machines back in the 1980s....

kmalsom
September 10th, 2020, 17:53
Haven't tried this yet, but using Z Axis Mapping might temporarily fixt this (note this would cause the wheel to be backwards everywhere else):
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MouseCustomizations#Scroll_Wheel_And_Getting_Butto ns_To_Respond

kmalsom
September 10th, 2020, 17:58
If using KDE you could try this:
1. Go to “System Setting -> Input Devices -> Mouse”.
2. Check the box “Reverse Scrolling Direction”. Click Apply.

Jiminimonka
September 10th, 2020, 19:58
Haven't tried this yet, but using Z Axis Mapping might temporarily fixt this (note this would cause the wheel to be backwards everywhere else):
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MouseCustomizations#Scroll_Wheel_And_Getting_Butto ns_To_Respond

Its more than the mousewheel direction, that is mostly the launcher. Once on the table the mousewheel does almost nothing. Only thing to fix it is a Unity upgrade it seems.

I can live with this issue for now.

Jiminimonka
September 10th, 2020, 20:33
I've been trying to make maps with FGU - CTRL-Z does not work. The only way to delete something is with the Delete tool (either the eraser or the layer delete tool.

EDIT: Sometimes it does work, other times it does not.

skj310
September 11th, 2020, 12:36
If using KDE you could try this:
1. Go to “System Setting -> Input Devices -> Mouse”.
2. Check the box “Reverse Scrolling Direction”. Click Apply.

This is the same with linuxmint / cinnamon (i.e. gnome desktop backend) ... but not really cool in that i'd have to turn this on / off every time i play. But yes, was aware of this switch-a-roo.

Also i noticed that the diagonal arrow moves (i.e. 1, 3, 7, 9) on the number pad don't allow me to move on the map. I do know that i can try to hit top arrow key + right arrow key to do a diagonal but was kinda hoping that all keys on num-pad would work. Anyway, just another little thing i noted on top of the mouse wheel thing too.

Jiminimonka
September 11th, 2020, 12:49
Any updates this week (the first post has still not been updated to reflect the update on the 4th September)

xew
September 13th, 2020, 09:31
xew@xew-desktop ~> neofetch
/:-------------:\
:-------------------:: -----------------------------
:-----------/shhOHbmp---:\ OS: Fedora 32 (Workstation Edition) x86_64
/-----------omMMMNNNMMD ---: Host: MS-7B93 1.0
:-----------sMMMMNMNMP. ---: Kernel: 5.8.7-200.fc32.x86_64
:-----------:MMMdP------- ---\ Uptime: 4 hours, 13 mins
,------------:MMMd-------- ---: Packages: 2787 (rpm), 16 (flatpak)
:------------:MMMd------- .---: Shell: fish 3.1.2
:---- oNMMMMMMMMMNho .----: Resolution: 2560x1440
:-- .+shhhMMMmhhy++ .------/ DE: GNOME 3.36.6
:- -------:MMMd--------------: WM: Mutter
:- --------/MMMd-------------; WM Theme: Adwaita
:- ------/hMMMy------------: Theme: Adwaita-dark [GTK2/3]
:-- :dMNdhhdNMMNo------------; Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
:---:sdNMMMMNds:------------: Terminal: Terminus
:------:://:-------------:: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X (16) @ 3.900GHz
:---------------------:// GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590
Memory: 7179MiB / 32057MiB

Tried downloading the demo with steam. It downloaded the deb package. And failed to find FGWebInstall.rpm when hitting play. Extracted the data.tar.xz in the .deb package and extracted the folders into their correct places. Then chmod -R <myuser>:<mygroup> the folders.

Now I get the FGUpdaterEngine when hitting play. But after entering my forum username and password it becomes unresponsive. The FGUdaterEngine.log is just the lines

Error: Unknown Error
Retrying in 10 seconds
over and over again.

I get dns lookups for patch subdomain
and going there gives me a statuscode 200

I have also disabled the firewall

sstarsslayer
September 16th, 2020, 03:20
So, I've chose the path of madness and went ahead and installed this on an AWS EC2 instance
I used to run FGC on EC2: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18597-Virtual-servers&p=394401&viewfull=1#post394401
For FGU, you might want to check the Unity requirements and compare to what EC2 is supporting these days before spinning your wheels: https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.2/Documentation/Manual/system-requirements.html#desktop

themensch
September 16th, 2020, 05:29
I used to run FGC on EC2: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18597-Virtual-servers&p=394401&viewfull=1#post394401
For FGU, you might want to check the Unity requirements and compare to what EC2 is supporting these days before spinning your wheels: https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.2/Documentation/Manual/system-requirements.html#desktop

Thanks, this is very helpful! What I've run up against is vulkan driver issues, which I can install but can't seem to make the app use. Other opengl apps like glxgears work just fine.

That said, how did you find it?

snowgoon88
September 16th, 2020, 09:32
Hello,
simply to say I used the "new" .deb file WebInstaller (as of today 16th Sept.) and, apart from the mouse problem, it works nicely.
I haven't tried it on the network yet.

Nice work from the team : thank you guys.

a small suggestion : add the version number in the file name.

Alain

> neofetch
.-/+oossssoo+/-. alain@zebre
`:+ssssssssssssssssss+:` -----------
.ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso. Kernel: 5.4.0-42-generic
/ssssssssssshdmmNNmmyNMMMMhssssss/ Uptime: 11 days, 17 hours, 58 mins
+ssssssssshmydMMMMMMMNddddyssssssss+ Packages: 5239 (dpkg), 5 (snap)
/sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhmNMMMNhssssssss/ Shell: zsh 5.8
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss. Resolution: 2560x1440
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+ DE: wmaker-common
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso WM: wmaker
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso Theme: Adwaita [GTK3]
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+ Icons: Adwaita [GTK3]
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss. Terminal: mate-terminal
/sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhdNMMMNhssssssss/ Terminal Font: Monospace 10
+sssssssssdmydMMMMMMMMddddyssssssss+ CPU: Intel i5-6600K (4) @ 3.900GHz
/ssssssssssshdmNNNNmyNMMMMhssssss/ GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
.ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso. Memory: 5541MiB / 7915MiB
-+sssssssssssssssssyyyssss+-
.-/+oossssoo+/-.

PorkBBQ
September 16th, 2020, 16:58
a small suggestion : add the version number in the file name.

Alain, how were you made aware of the update? This post was the first that I heard about it.

As for version information, I know that this is all early days for the linux installer, but the version info presented to the users needs work. After seeing this post, I tried to force an update, and nothing seemed to happen. I ended up deleting everything (my local files, /usr/share/smiteworks, etc) and getting a new copy of the .deb file from https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGUWebInstall.deb and reinstalling. The version information still says

v4.0.0 (2020-09-03)

I know the last version I was using was from the 8th (I need the Ubuntu 20.04 fix), so this string hasn't changed in 2 updates. While not the most important thing, keeping this accurate will help prevent confusion when discussing what version we have. The build from the 4th doesn't work on my box, so I don't have that. But I can't say if I am running the build from the 8th, or this update from the 16th.

tgm4883
September 16th, 2020, 17:02
Alain, how were you made aware of the update? This post was the first that I heard about it.

There is a post somewhere in this 16 page thread that says it was updated.

Jiminimonka
September 16th, 2020, 17:05

As for version information, I know that this is all early days for the linux installer, but the version info presented to the users needs work. After seeing this post, I tried to force an update, and nothing seemed to happen. I ended up deleting everything (my local files, /usr/share/smiteworks, etc) and getting a new copy of the .deb file from https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGUWebInstall.deb and reinstalling. The version information still says

v4.0.0 (2020-09-03)

I know the last version I was using was from the 8th (I need the Ubuntu 20.04 fix), so this string hasn't changed in 2 updates. While not the most important thing, keeping this accurate will help prevent confusion when discussing what version we have. The build from the 4th doesn't work on my box, so I don't have that. But I can't say if I am running the build from the 8th, or this update from the 16th.

8th? The last time the 1st post was updated was the 5th and that was for the update on the 4th. There have been updates since? If there have been it would be nice to not have to guess!

Please update the 1st post with updates!

LordEntrails
September 16th, 2020, 18:53
Make sure you are checking both version dates. There is both an application date, and an updater date (which I think is the same as the installer). At least on the Win/Mac versions. I would assume the same for Linux.

The date you see on the launch screen is the application date. Their is a separate date shown on the updater screen when you are running it. Please check and see if that's true for Linux as well.

snowgoon88
September 16th, 2020, 19:09
There is a post somewhere in this 16 page thread that says it was updated.

The first time was in post #103 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61261-Linux-Testing&p=539412&viewfull=1#post539412)
but it seems that the updates are not very well advertized.

I agree with @Jiminimonka, the 1st post should be edited every time a new update goes by.

Jiminimonka
September 16th, 2020, 19:17
Make sure you are checking both version dates. There is both an application date, and an updater date (which I think is the same as the installer). At least on the Win/Mac versions. I would assume the same for Linux.

The date you see on the launch screen is the application date. Their is a separate date shown on the updater screen when you are running it. Please check and see if that's true for Linux as well.

No way of knowing if the launcher has had an update from the .deb file - and some of use are not using Ubuntu so having an update on the first thread (along with a message saying its been updated so we get an email as thread-subs) would be of great help, especially since we are TESTING it. I've been testing the same build since 4th September.

PorkBBQ
September 16th, 2020, 19:17
LordEntrails,
I'm new to fantasy grounds, and I think applications that update themselves are strange and alien. We invented repositories, yum, apt-get and the rest to avoid the horrors of RPM hell. But I understand that FGU both (1) comes from windows world and (2) has way more DLC content than most applications. So forgive me if have a few missteps

I see the 4th as the date in the updater, and the 8th as the date in the launcher.

Jiminimonka,
Smelton said there was an update on the 8th. See comment #135 in this thread. At this point I'm not sure what was updated but FGU started working on Ubuntu 20.04 with that change.

Jiminimonka
September 16th, 2020, 19:27
LordEntrails,
I'm new to fantasy grounds, and I think applications that update themselves are strange and alien. We invented repositories, yum, apt-get and the rest to avoid the horrors of RPM hell. But I understand that FGU both (1) comes from windows world and (2) has way more DLC content than most applications. So forgive me if have a few missteps

I see the 4th as the date in the updater, and the 8th as the date in the launcher.

Jiminimonka,
Smelton said there was an update on the 8th. See comment #135 in this thread. At this point I'm not sure what was updated but FGU started working on Ubuntu 20.04 with that change.

Same dates for me, and the FGUWebInstall.deb file downloaded in the first post file creation dates for all the content is the 4th September.

LordEntrails
September 16th, 2020, 21:39
To be clear, I'm not saying the first post shouldn't be updated or any other type of version indications would not be wise. Just letting you know what I know about the general FG environment :)

Also, you funny penguin people like to and understand repositories, version control, etc. Most FG users are casual PC/Mac users and don't know or care about any of that. They just "want it to work" as easily as possible :) So, remember, the devs have always had to deal with that mindset as first and foremost.

Again, that's not to say how it's currently being done is the best way or the way it is going to be. Just educating and then you all can let SmiteWorks know what you would prefer. IMO, they are good at listening to the community.

Jiminimonka
September 16th, 2020, 21:42
To be clear, I'm not saying the first post shouldn't be updated or any other type of version indications would not be wise. Just letting you know what I know about the general FG environment :)

Also, you funny penguin people like to and understand repositories, version control, etc. Most FG users are casual PC/Mac users and don't know or care about any of that. They just "want it to work" as easily as possible :) So, remember, the devs have always had to deal with that mindset as first and foremost.

Again, that's not to say how it's currently being done is the best way or the way it is going to be. Just educating and then you all can let SmiteWorks know what you would prefer. IMO, they are good at listening to the community.

Yes, no worries - its working fine for me, just wondering if I missed an update. Happy to have it working in Linux and to wait for bugs to be ironed out.

roncioiu
September 17th, 2020, 16:35
Fedors 32 here; If I install through Steam, it will install and then error out launching, complaining that it cannot find the executable/path. If I install via the Debian package ( using alien -i *.deb ) ; it installs fine and I can start it ; but it hangs forever after I put in my login credentials. Let me know if any logs would be helpful for anyone, and keep up the great work ( I'm so excited :D )

*** Edit
I have moved the folder from the install dir /usr/share/smiteworks to my home directory and fixed the permission. It would still hang at the login screen, so I did a bit of digging and apparently , it can't find ca-certificates.crt in /etc/ssl/certs on Fedora. So I grabbed one from somewhere and just copied it there, and I was then able to login. But of course this is all too good to be true, and it really wants the files to be in /usr/share/smiteworks :D So having put them back, everything seems to be working now. ( well I get to the main splash screen , and it just hangs there )

nanohard
September 17th, 2020, 21:51
/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/
should have perms of 755, but luancher sets it to 055 causing a "failure to fix permissions" error in the launcher.
Version 4.0.0 2020-09-03

lazjen
September 20th, 2020, 05:31
I have had a couple of crashes this afternoon. I haven't worked out a pattern for it yet.

Native stacktrace:

/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGrounds_Data/MonoBleedingEdge/x86_64/libmonobdwgc-2.0.so(+0xd5bb0) [0x7f294b17ebb0]
/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGrounds_Data/MonoBleedingEdge/x86_64/libmonobdwgc-2.0.so(+0x5c5e3) [0x7f294b1055e3]
/lib64/libpthread.so.0(+0x12f10) [0x7f29516e9f10]
/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGrounds.x86_64() [0x8f5bf0]
/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGrounds.x86_64() [0x8f6648]
/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGrounds.x86_64() [0x8fd024]
/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGrounds.x86_64() [0x88d17a]
/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGrounds.x86_64() [0x886c4a]
/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGrounds.x86_64() [0x886d89]
/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGrounds.x86_64() [0xcbcf19]
/lib64/libpthread.so.0(+0x7fee) [0x7f29516defee]
/lib64/libc.so.6(clone+0x3f) [0x7f2951611fff]

themensch
September 22nd, 2020, 22:59
Well, I got this to work on an EC2 instance and connected to my buddy's server. What I did:

1. get into AWS and subscribe to this AMI from the marketplace: https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B088P8WCBV
2. Launch an instance from the AMI
3. follow AWS's instructions to install the NICE DCV client
4. Change the security group to allow ingress from my IP and my IP only
5. add a user account for the NICE DCV client
6. Launch the NICE DCV client and log in with the user/password I created
7. install FGU on ubuntu following the command line instructions from the wiki: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/727679003/Installing%2BFantasy%2BGrounds%2BUnity%2Bfor%2BLin ux%2BUbuntu%2BDebian
8. Launch from the command line with /usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGroundsUpdater

I sat while it did its thing, but it ran like a champ with this 4-core instance and load on my local machine was nominal. I connected to a pal's server and it worked fine, but the real test will be playing a game with it. I hope this helps some folks. I cannot be held responsible if your results vary from mine, or if you find the pricing exorbitant. I encourage some legwork to make sure this is right for you!

Jiminimonka
September 23rd, 2020, 09:13
INSTALLER FILE LAST UPDATED: September 1, 2020

Download

Issue Reporting

Regards,
JPG

Any updates. Since this post still hasn't been updated for the last 2 I thought I would ask.

smelton
September 23rd, 2020, 16:01
We found the mouse scroll wheel issue was actually a bug in Unity, and to fix that we had to update the version of Unity that FGU is built with. So the good news is the mouse wheel works properly in Linux now .. the bad news is some of the other changes introduced in the new Unity version don't play nice with the shared installation approach we took.. i.e. it caused a lot of permissions issues. Since we are still in a testing phase, we decided to go ahead and switch to user based install to alleviate permissions issues going forward. With that said, a new Linux installer will be released this week with the update. Unfortunately, this update will break existing installations so you will need to uninstall FGU and reinstall using the new installer. On the bright side, the new installer is a self-extracting tar file so it should work on pretty much every distro out there.

To remove an existing standard installation:
sudo dpkg -r fantasygroundsinstaller && sudo rm -fr /usr/share/smiteworks

Jiminimonka
September 23rd, 2020, 17:00
Awesome news!

lazjen
September 23rd, 2020, 21:38
We found the mouse scroll wheel issue was actually a bug in Unity, and to fix that we had to update the version of Unity that FGU is built with. So the good news is the mouse wheel works properly in Linux now .. the bad news is some of the other changes introduced in the new Unity version don't play nice with the shared installation approach we took.. i.e. it caused a lot of permissions issues. Since we are still in a testing phase, we decided to go ahead and switch to user based install to alleviate permissions issues going forward. With that said, a new Linux installer will be released this week with the update. Unfortunately, this update will break existing installations so you will need to uninstall FGU and reinstall using the new installer. On the bright side, the new installer is a self-extracting tar file so it should work on pretty much every distro out there.

To remove an existing standard installation:
sudo dpkg -r fantasygroundsinstaller && sudo rm -fr /usr/share/smiteworks

Great news, excellent!

finny525
September 24th, 2020, 14:31
I had the first version installed on Ubuntu 20.04, it worked fine.

I updated to the new one mentioned (version 1.0.1 I believe), now when it starts, it goes to the updater. When I hit Launch FG, it just relaunches the Updater.

Ran this to: sudo dpkg -r fantasygroundsinstaller && sudo rm -fr /usr/share/smiteworks

I have tried a remove and reinstall, as above, but it does not fix the issue.

smelton
September 24th, 2020, 15:52
I had the first version installed on Ubuntu 20.04, it worked fine.

I updated to the new one mentioned (version 1.0.1 I believe), now when it starts, it goes to the updater. When I hit Launch FG, it just relaunches the Updater.

Ran this to: sudo dpkg -r fantasygroundsinstaller && sudo rm -fr /usr/share/smiteworks

I have tried a remove and reinstall, as above, but it does not fix the issue.

After you reininstall, click Update

finny525
September 24th, 2020, 16:37
After you reininstall, click Update

Well, that did it :)

Thanks!

Moon Wizard
September 25th, 2020, 01:51
Updated first post with latest installer that is built as a self-extracting binary (.bin); along with a simple command line to trigger the install from the binary.

Regards,
JPG

lazjen
September 25th, 2020, 04:29
Updated first post with latest installer that is built as a self-extracting binary (.bin); along with a simple command line to trigger the install from the binary.

Regards,
JPG

I removed my old manual install used this new one instead.

I did it as my normal user account, so it installed to ~/.smiteworks - which is ok for me.

To run the application, I needed to use:

~/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGrounds.x86_64

I'll get to test it more during our game session on Sunday.

Got this error trying to access the settings from the starting panel:

[9/25/2020 1:26:54 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Updater: Unable to locate program (/home/XXXX/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FGUpdaterEngine/FantasyGroundsUpdater)

smelton
September 25th, 2020, 04:37
I removed my old manual install used this new one instead.

I did it as my normal user account, so it installed to ~/.smiteworks - which is ok for me.

To run the application, I needed to use:

I'll get to test it more during our game session on Sunday.

Got this error trying to access the settings from the starting panel:

After you ran ./FGUWebInstall.bin it should have installed and then auto-started the updater, correct? Assuming that's true, the next step would be to click Update to install FGU. Afterward, you got the above error message? If so, could you tell me what the value of AppDir is in ~/.config/smiteworks/fantasygroundsapp.conf?

lazjen
September 25th, 2020, 04:41
AppDir=/home/XXXX/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds
EnhancedLogging=0
InstallerVersion=2

It looks like the settings and updater on the Lobby panel are adding ".config" in the path.

Edit: oops, meant to say, the install did do the auto-start and update - the updater itself works fine and can be manually invoked fine.

smelton
September 25th, 2020, 05:08
It looks like the settings and updater on the Lobby panel are adding ".config" in the path.

Edit: oops, meant to say, the install did do the auto-start and update - the updater itself works fine and can be manually invoked fine.

If you restart FGU (not the updater), can you confirm the Settings/Update button works? It works for me, but I just wanted to make sure it works for you as well. I was able to replicate the issue when launching FGU from the Updater and will have a hotfix out shortly.

roboctipus
September 25th, 2020, 05:29
Missing library issue on Update

Summary:

Fresh installation of FGU from .deb file on Ubuntu 20.04 initially launches, runs updater, but then fails with an error "error while loading shared libraries: UnityPlayer.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Error:

/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FGUpdaterEngine/FGUpdaterEngine.x86_64: error while loading shared libraries: UnityPlayer.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

System details:
Installation method: .deb file (FGUWebInstall.deb)
OS Version: 20.04
Package version: 4.0.0 (2020-09-03)

Method to reproduce error
1. Install deb package from a clean OS
2. Launch FGU. Enter account keys, etc etc.
3. Run updater at prompts.
4. Updates appear to go correctly, but after completion updater disappears, FGU does not relaunch.

Result:
Launching from terminal (/usr/bin/FantasyGrounds) crashes on update, fails to load UnityPlayer.so.

Logs:

FGUpdaterEngine path is /usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FGUpdaterEngine/FGUpdaterEngine.x86_64
Looking for update in /usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW
/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW found. Validating update...
Removing current FGUpdaterEngine: /usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FGUpdaterEngine
Installing new FGUpdaterEngine...
Setting permissions on /usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FGUpdaterEngine/FGUpdaterEngine.x86_64
Changing directory to /usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FGUpdaterEngine
Launching FGUpdaterEngine: /usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FGUpdaterEngine/FGUpdaterEngine.x86_64
/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FGUpdaterEngine/FGUpdaterEngine.x86_64: error while loading shared libraries: UnityPlayer.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Further details:

1. UnityPlayer.so library exists in two locations:

/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW/FGUpdaterEngine/UnityPlayer.so
/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FGUpdaterEngine/UnityPlayer.so

2. There is a FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW directory created

/usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW

Should this have been copied somewhere after update?

3. There are no 'execute' permissions set on the binaries in that directory.

$ ls -alh ./FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW/FGUpdaterEngine/FGUpdaterEngine.x86_64
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 6.2K Sep 24 23:58 ./FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW/FGUpdaterEngine/FGUpdaterEngine.x86_64

--------------------------------

Update:

This is fixed by smelton's advice below.

Uninstall the .deb. Install using the .bin installer. See first post in thread for link

smelton
September 25th, 2020, 05:40
Fresh installation of FGU from .deb file on Ubuntu 20.04 initially launches, runs updater, but then fails with an error "error while loading shared libraries: UnityPlayer.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Uninstall the .deb. Install using the .bin installer. See first post in thread for link.

smelton
September 25th, 2020, 05:52

This has been fixed. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

lazjen
September 25th, 2020, 06:47
This has been fixed. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

No worries, and I can confirm with installing the latest version that the problem has gone away and those buttons work as expected. Thanks for the prompt fix! :)

smelton
September 25th, 2020, 06:49
No worries, and I can confirm with installing the latest version that the problem has gone away and those buttons work as expected. Thanks for the prompt fix! :)

Awesome! Thanks again for testing!

roboctipus
September 25th, 2020, 07:19
Uninstall the .deb. Install using the .bin installer. See first post in thread for link.

Fixed it, smelton ! Thanks!

Jiminimonka
September 25th, 2020, 07:55

Regards,
JPG

Great! I'll install tonight

Zaister
September 25th, 2020, 08:16
I've installed the new build and the mouse wheel kind of works now, but it has really high sensitivity, so I have to scroll a lot and very fast for it to register at all, and this is very hard to make use with both my mice.

skj310
September 25th, 2020, 13:16
I've installed the new build and the mouse wheel kind of works now, but it has really high sensitivity, so I have to scroll a lot and very fast for it to register at all, and this is very hard to make use with both my mice.

Yup I concur. Same issue.

But otherwise some huge changes with this release. Love the lock tokens and movements with lock tokens. Quite neat! Perhaps a little large for my tastes, but sooooo much nicer and cooler than what was with FGC. Will experiment more and let you know as i play ... cheers and thanks for this update!

finny525
September 25th, 2020, 14:24
Installed the new BIN file installation. Ran the updater, it worked fine. Fantasy Grounds Unity ran fine.

When I hit Update button again from the start screen, the updater could not be found.

PorkBBQ
September 25th, 2020, 15:05
Installed the new BIN file installation. Ran the updater, it worked fine. Fantasy Grounds Unity ran fine.

When I hit Update button again from the start screen, the updater could not be found.

I'm seeing the same thing. Ubuntu 20.04 if that matters.

scottie4442
September 25th, 2020, 17:15
I am running LinuxMint 20 (Ubuntu 20.04 based) and I uninstalled the .deb version fine and ran the new .bin installer. the updater ran fine but when I start FantasyGrounds.x86_64 it starts up and then I get a dialog Network Version Change message and it will not let me click on the close button, I have tried to hit enter and space bar from keyboard and click on it with my mouse no luck. update ran fine.

Edit: ok when I made the window full screen it finally let me click the close button and then I could click on other buttons, but if I am not if full screen mode I cannot click the buttons, just a note for the developers, I can work around this.

Jiminimonka
September 25th, 2020, 19:11
OK - I have installed and got it running - mouse wheel works fine in the launcher but on the table it doesn't work at all - I still have to hold down control and then drag the mouse over the icon on the bottom right to zoom in and out, and cant scroll thru chat or lists etc.

Other than that, it all works fine - connected a player via windows and all seems fine.

EDIT: Going to try with all extensions turned off. No difference - mouse wheel non-functional on table, works fine on launcher. Plasma DE.

Manjaro (Arch) Linux.

snowgoon88
September 25th, 2020, 19:35
Installed also the newest (24/09/2020) installer on Ubuntu 20.04. Works fine.

FYI, I had also to `rm -rf ~/.smiteworks ~/.config/smiteworks` because previous installation had given this directories "wrong" owner and my first try at the new installer resulted in ` mkdir: not able to create «/home/ME/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds»: Permission denied`.

smelton
September 25th, 2020, 21:07

That error says its trying to launch from the old .deb install directory. I suspect the app preferences file had root permissions that prevented you from updating

make sure the .deb is uninstalled and for safe measure remove the config:
sudo dpkg -r fantasygroundsinstaller && sudo rm -fr /usr/share/smiteworks && sudo rm -fr ~/.config/smiteworks

Then reinstall with the .bin. Let me know if you still have issues.

lazjen
September 25th, 2020, 21:47
Installed also the newest (24/09/2020) installer on Ubuntu 20.04. Works fine.

FYI, I had also to `rm -rf ~/.smiteworks ~/.config/smiteworks` because previous installation had given this directories "wrong" owner and my first try at the new installer resulted in ` mkdir: not able to create «/home/ME/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds»: Permission denied`.

In case it's important for you to keep history, etc, you could have just done a chown to your user for those directories instead of deleting them (I did remove the ~/.smiteworks, but kept my config and fixed the ownership).

Jiminimonka
September 25th, 2020, 23:30
Another bug - when I quit completely and start another instance it requires an update, has no Campaigns. Clicking Update or Settings exits the launcher and I have to run the FGUWebInstall.bin again (which remembers the Data and App folders). I've obviously missed something.

This is what happens when I run the ./FGWebInstall.bin command

[YBAS Downloads]# ./FGUWebInstall.bin

Self Extracting Installer

./files.tar
./installer
Installing Fantasy Grounds Unity...
tee: /root/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGrounds.x86_64: Text file busy
tee: /root/.local/share/applications/FantasyGrounds.desktop: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access '/root/.local/share/applications/FantasyGrounds.desktop': No such file or directory
Launching Fantasy Grounds Updater...
[YBAS Downloads]# ^C

lazjen
September 26th, 2020, 00:09
You probably should not be installing as root now with the new install process.

I'd suggest removing everything again as root, then drop back to your normal user and install there. Make sure your normal users is "clean" as well as per earlier instructions.

tom.knapp
September 26th, 2020, 00:41
Ran the new installer today after an update seemed to have borked the application (DEB install). Found this thread where it said to uninstall the DEB version. Did so with no issues. Had to go back and remove all folders/files related to last install before I could get the new one to install.

The install appears to be running fine currently. Once the application loaded the new splash screen saying this is not compatible with previous version (yadda yadda) The update button was highlighted again. When you click on it the error says unable to locate program. Closed out of the program and opened it again. This time is started up like new again. Asking for login and KEY. Got everything configured again and it refreshed from the beginning agian. New notice about network version and the update button is highlighted.

I am a Linux noobie, so i am not much help on troubleshooting. Just wanted to report my experiance today. Seen some people above had a ocmputer readout. so figured i would install and put mine in as well.

ERROR: Missing File /home/dknapp/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FGUpdaterEngine/FantasyGroundsUpdater <--- this is in fact missing from the folder. I can see a "FGUpdaterEngine.x86_64" though.

dknapp@LNXWRK01:~$ neofetch
.-/+oossssoo+/-. dknapp@LNXWRK01
`:+ssssssssssssssssss+:` ---------------
.ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso. Host: SVS1513BGXB C60BTZ8N
/ssssssssssshdmmNNmmyNMMMMhssssss/ Kernel: 5.4.0-48-generic
+ssssssssshmydMMMMMMMNddddyssssssss+ Uptime: 1 hour, 13 mins
/sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhmNMMMNhssssssss/ Packages: 1904 (dpkg), 24 (snap)
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+ Resolution: 1920x1080
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso DE: GNOME
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso WM: Mutter
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+ WM Theme: Adwaita
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss. Theme: Yaru-dark [GTK2/3]
/sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhdNMMMNhssssssss/ Icons: Yaru [GTK2/3]
+sssssssssdmydMMMMMMMMddddyssssssss+ Terminal: gnome-terminal
/ssssssssssshdmNNNNmyNMMMMhssssss/ CPU: Intel i7-3632QM (8) @ 3.200GHz
.ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso. GPU: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Gr
-+sssssssssssssssssyyyssss+- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE
`:+ssssssssssssssssss+:` Memory: 2877MiB / 11880MiB
.-/+oossssoo+/-.

shishz
September 26th, 2020, 00:44
On Fedora 32, install worked and updated seamlessly, got past the login problem I had with the older version, and was able to load the sample campaign and throw dice around.

In the "installer"/"initial start menu"/"launch campaign", the mouse scroll works fine. In the game, the mouse scroll is not recognized if I scroll slowly, but if I scroll quickly, scrolling does work.

tom.knapp
September 26th, 2020, 00:49
UPDATE:

It appears that FG is not saving any of the user profile data. It keeps asking for a login and key. Also the entire software is pretty much disabled due to the "Free" license. unable to connect to any games or create a game myself.

For some reason the desktop wasnt refreshing, after a reboot i was able to see the attached LOG file zip. Thought I would attach that here as well for review.

tom.knapp
September 26th, 2020, 01:40
UPDATE:

I poked around and found the UNINSTALL button. Ran that. Found that the APP was still listed as installed in the launcher window (Start Menu). re-ran the install steps as outlined in the PIN'd message.

rm -fr /usr/share/smiteworks && sudo rm -fr ~/.config/smiteworks

This ran the installer again and the Update Manager. Downloaded all the updates and loaded. This time it didnt prompt me about the new version and the update was not highlighted again. I was able to launch a session 2e/5e tested. Did some die rolls to see if there was anything out of sorts. No issues. Closed and opened the application again. This time it saved my information and did not prompt me to enter a key and login + update ect as it was before.

Seems to be back to normal again.

lazjen
September 26th, 2020, 01:57
Done some more testing.

Can confirm the mouse scrolling - at least it's the right direction now, but you need to scroll quickly to get anywhere.

Jiminimonka
September 26th, 2020, 07:32
You probably should not be installing as root now with the new install process.

I'd suggest removing everything again as root, then drop back to your normal user and install there. Make sure your normal users is "clean" as well as per earlier instructions.

I'll have a look this evening. Off to work.

Jiminimonka
September 26th, 2020, 19:51
Testing time!

Removed it all, installed as user (dunno why I was in admin mode last time) - the install was a little longer, it downloaded 3 different FantasyGrounds programs of various sizes. Loaded up OK and worked alright, mouse wheel doesnt work unless I do some silly scrolling using left hand while holding mouse with right hand so thats not changed.

Now, when I exit the program and restart it - the launcher is perfect!

Thanks @smelton & smiteworks (a good combination).

smelton
September 26th, 2020, 20:11
UPDATE:

I poked around and found the UNINSTALL button. Ran that. Found that the APP was still listed as installed in the launcher window (Start Menu). re-ran the install steps as outlined in the PIN'd message.

rm -fr /usr/share/smiteworks && sudo rm -fr ~/.config/smiteworks

This ran the installer again and the Update Manager. Downloaded all the updates and loaded. This time it didnt prompt me about the new version and the update was not highlighted again. I was able to launch a session 2e/5e tested. Did some die rolls to see if there was anything out of sorts. No issues. Closed and opened the application again. This time it saved my information and did not prompt me to enter a key and login + update ect as it was before.

Seems to be back to normal again.

Sounds like the config file was owned by root which is why it wasn't saving your settings, but you got past that by removing the ~/.config/smiteworks directory.

smelton
September 26th, 2020, 20:12
We've had numerous reports about the slow scroll speed so I will get that fixed asap.

WilliamRiddle
September 29th, 2020, 02:51
I'd like to report that today when I clicked CHECK FOR UPDATE my FGU Linux install exits. No error or any other noticeable malfunction -- it just quits. I am able to relaunch and even load a campaign, but cannot update. I'm on Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS, and never had an issue before. MY FGC install on PlayOnLinux is updating fine.

Anyone else having this issue?

WR

smelton
September 29th, 2020, 03:23
I'd like to report that today when I clicked CHECK FOR UPDATE my FGU Linux install exits. No error or any other noticeable malfunction -- it just quits. I am able to relaunch and even load a campaign, but cannot update. I'm on Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS, and never had an issue before. MY FGC install on PlayOnLinux is updating fine.

Anyone else having this issue?

WR

Did you install with the .deb installer or .bin installer?

WilliamRiddle
September 29th, 2020, 11:36
DEB installer. Also, I would like to add that my Ubuntu install was updated over the weekend.

WR

WilliamRiddle
September 29th, 2020, 12:04
DEB installer. Also, I would like to add that my Ubuntu install was updated over the weekend.

WR

I thought I would test quick before going off to work, and I just noticed I get the same reaction when I click the SETTING button.

WR

lazjen
September 29th, 2020, 12:32

WR

Go back to the first message in this thread and follow the instructions there. You need to remove the deb install and redo the install following the new instructions.

smelton
September 29th, 2020, 16:59

WR

Unfortunately, the last update contained breaking changes for existing installations that used the .deb installer. Please uninstall and reinstall with the new .bin installer and you should be good to go. Both the .bin installer and removal instructions can be found in the first post of this thread. If you have any issues after reinstalling please let me know.

The Demiurge
September 29th, 2020, 22:12
This is a feature Req.: If not already enabled by default (depends on what window manager FGU will implement) PLEASE make sure that the ability to "shade" (i don't remember the exact terminology) the various windows. It minimizes the window as if one was pulling up a "shade". This allows more real-estate on your screen; if you want to see the window again you click on the shade and it open back up revealing the window. Unfortunately Windows hasn't figured out yet. Anyhow, Its been one of my favorite features to save screen real-estate along. That and the ability to create multiple windows, to again create more real-estate for your laptop or even desktop...

Both "shading" windows and creating multiple windows have been a staple of all flavors of *nix.

---- On that note does anyone know what flavor of Linux FGU will be using? Id really like to have a low footprint OS and Linux would be the lowest out of Windows and Mac. Actually Ubuntu is filled with bloatware so Id suggest NOT going with that if at all possible... albeit it is easy to install. I suppose one could roll a new Ubuntu and choose fewer apps... Its been awhile since I've use Ubuntu but I do remember when comparing all flavors of Linux Ubuntu was a 'heaviest'.

Jiminimonka
September 29th, 2020, 22:16
This is a feature Req.: If not already enabled by default (depends on what window manager FGU will implement) PLEASE make sure that the ability to "shade" (i don't remember the exact terminology) the various windows. Unfortunately Windows hasn't figured out yet. Its been one of my favorite features to save screen real-estate along with the ability to create multiple windows to again create more real-estate for your laptop or even desktop...

Both "shading" windows and creating multiple windows have been a staple of all flavors of *nix.

On that note does anyone know what flavor of Linux FGU will be using? Id really like to have a low footprint OS and Linux would be the lowest out of Windows and Mac. Actually Ubuntu is filled with bloatware so Id suggest NOT going with that. I suppose one could roll a new Ubuntu and choose fewer apps... Its been awhile since I've use Ubuntu but I do remember when comparing all flavors of Linux Ubuntu was a 'heaviest'.

Ubuntu Bloatus is already the default but the new .bin works fine in multiple flavours (aside from the mouse wheel scroll speed which is WIP). All this is in the first post in this thread.

There is a feature request page - I am sure one of the team will link it soon.

smelton
September 29th, 2020, 22:23
We have been testing on several Linux distributions. I was running Ubuntu on one of my laptops but recently switched over to Manjaro. One of our CS guys is running Kubuntu and off the top of my head we have run tests on Debian, Fedora, Mint, and Elementary.

Jiminimonka
September 29th, 2020, 22:32
We have been testing on several Linux distributions. I was running Ubuntu on one of my laptops but recently switched over to Manjaro. One of our CS guys is running Kubuntu and off the top of my head we have run tests on Debian, Fedora, Mint, and Elementary.

Perfect!

lazjen
September 29th, 2020, 22:45

Mostly working fine on Gentoo (using KDE Plasma) as well. :)

I do get random crashing after it's been running for a long time (1+ hour), but I haven't worked out any pattern for it yet. Until I do it's pointless for you guys to worry about it.

smelton
September 29th, 2020, 23:03
Mostly working fine on Gentoo (using KDE Plasma) as well. :)

I do get random crashing after it's been running for a long time (1+ hour), but I haven't worked out any pattern for it yet. Until I do it's pointless for you guys to worry about it.

When you restart FGU click the console button in the upper left corner and then click Compile Logs and send them over. We might be able to spot the cause of the crash

WilliamRiddle
September 30th, 2020, 00:42
Unfortunately, the last update contained breaking changes for existing installations that used the .deb installer. Please uninstall and reinstall with the new .bin installer and you should be good to go. Both the .bin installer and removal instructions can be found in the first post of this thread. If you have any issues after reinstalling please let me know.

Thanks Smelton, that seemed to work. However, in the future you might want to warn users to backup their files first. All of my campaigns and characters are gone. Thankfully I had a backup.

WR

smelton
September 30th, 2020, 01:12
Thanks Smelton, that seemed to work. However, in the future you might want to warn users to backup their files first. All of my campaigns and characters are gone. Thankfully I had a backup.

WR

My instructions assume a default installation, in which case your data would have been located in ~/.smiteworks/fgdata. Did you delete that directory instead of ~/.config/smiteworks?

WilliamRiddle
September 30th, 2020, 01:17
My instructions assume a default installation, in which case your data would have been located in ~/.smiteworks/fgdata. Did you delete that directory instead of ~/.config/smiteworks?

I ran the uninstall script, then the install script. That is all. My DEB install was also "vanilla" default.

As I said, no worries here. You just may wish to put up a disclosure to backup beforehand. ;)

WR

WilliamRiddle
September 30th, 2020, 03:36
I ran the uninstall script, then the install script. That is all. My DEB install was also "vanilla" default.

As I said, no worries here. You just may wish to put up a disclosure to backup beforehand. ;)

WR

Updated info ---

Apparently the DEB uninstall script only purged my campaigns. My modules, extensions, tokens, etc are still there.
Hope this helps.

WR

smelton
September 30th, 2020, 03:43
Thanks for the update. Out of curiosity, where did you have your campaigns saved?

WilliamRiddle
September 30th, 2020, 03:47
Thanks for the update. Out of curiosity, where did you have your campaigns saved?

Wherever the default DEB install put them. I never changed any of the default settings or locations.

WR

liquidity
September 30th, 2020, 06:16
I installed it on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS with Budgie desktop, Gnome version 3.36.3

Everything looks good.

Mouse wheel works in start screen "game lobby", just not on the table.
The mouse scrolling requiring a drill attachment hooked to the wheel to get any movement :), known issue.

The Demiurge
September 30th, 2020, 19:59

This seems to be a big issue with FGU. I have a 2014 with 16GM RAM and the basic graphics card and it appears that the basic graphic card is the issue. It causes too much of a load on the older Mac's it seems. Heck it's possible that on the newer macs it would be an issue. Not sure as I don't own a current model but if this is the case I'm wondering if I wanted to play FGU on a mac It would seem I would need one of the 4MB video graphic cards to power the VTT. I have either a 4GB or 8GB graphic card on my laptop PC and FGU works flawlessly.

smelton
September 30th, 2020, 20:56
This seems to be a big issue with FGU. I have a 2014 with 16GM RAM and the basic graphics card and it appears that the basic graphic card is the issue. It causes too much of a load on the older Mac's it seems. Heck it's possible that on the newer macs it would be an issue. Not sure as I don't own a current model but if this is the case I'm wondering if I wanted to play FGU on a mac It would seem I would need one of the 4MB video graphic cards to power the VTT. I have either a 4GB or 8GB graphic card on my laptop PC and FGU works flawlessly.

You might check to make sure your Mac meets the minimum system requirements for Unity which are:
CPU: x64 architecture with SSE2
GPU: Metal capable Intel and AMD GPUs

At the end of the day, Unity is a 3D engine whose primary job is to render as many frames per second as possible. The more graphics processing power you have, the better the experience will be.

The Demiurge
September 30th, 2020, 21:12
You might check to make sure your Mac meets the minimum system requirements for Unity which are:
CPU: x64 architecture with SSE2
GPU: Metal capable Intel and AMD GPUs

At the end of the day, Unity is a 3D engine whose primary job is to render as many frames per second as possible. The more graphics processing power you have, the better the experience will be.

My mac is a dual core i5 with a discreet graphics processor. Its not made for gaming unless it's the original baulder gate series. So it appears one needs a dedicated GPU to work with fantasy grounds.

I haven't rolled a *nix in a about 3 years. Do the newer flavor's of Linux take advantage of 2, 4, and 8 GB GPU's? I would think they would.

smelton
September 30th, 2020, 21:29
Just make sure your graphics drivers are up to date

Imagix
September 30th, 2020, 22:06
“ Unity is a 3D engine whose primary job is to render as many frames per second as possible.”

Sure, though for the vast majority of the time, my FG is drawing the exact same image. Drawing it a max framerate is rather wasteful.

Moon Wizard
September 30th, 2020, 22:30
Frame rate is driven by the Unity engine; not by our specific application code. We just specify where and what to draw.

Regards,
JPG

Jiminimonka
October 1st, 2020, 19:19
“ Unity is a 3D engine whose primary job is to render as many frames per second as possible.”

Sure, though for the vast majority of the time, my FG is drawing the exact same image. Drawing it a max framerate is rather wasteful.

Maybe it's time to upgrade your Linux (Mac in the Linux thread?) machine, because FGU is not even released yet and the year is 2020. Cannot expect new, basically gaming, software to work on ancient machines (Moore's Law ancient).

Jiminimonka
October 1st, 2020, 19:22
My mac is a dual core i5 with a discreet graphics processor. Its not made for gaming unless it's the original baulder gate series. So it appears one needs a dedicated GPU to work with fantasy grounds.

I haven't rolled a *nix in a about 3 years. Do the newer flavor's of Linux take advantage of 2, 4, and 8 GB GPU's? I would think they would.

Yes, they do take advantage of the cores.

Imagix
October 1st, 2020, 19:56
Maybe it's time to upgrade your Linux (Mac in the Linux thread?) machine, because FGU is not even released yet and the year is 2020. Cannot expect new, basically gaming, software to work on ancient machines (Moore's Law ancient).

Drop a couple of thousand $$ on a new laptop? (Sure, people install Linux on MacBooks) And, yes, I can expect a game with this apparent level of graphics complexity (no animated layers, all basically static 2D stuff) to run on my laptop. This isn't the latest-and-greatest first-person shooter here.

@Moon Wizard: hmm, the Unity documentation seems to suggest that the framerate is within the control of the application developer. They make specific reference to doing things like dropping the framerate while drawing menus or launcher screens to reduce the power draw and heat. (Though perhaps I'm looking at the documentation for a different Unity version/library than what FG is using?)

Moon Wizard
October 1st, 2020, 20:39
The frame rate was previously hard-coded to 60fps to specifically account for issues of machines ramping up fans trying to maximize frame rates (100+). We tried 30fps, but the transitions of moving windows and rolling dice became too chunky. 60fps is the minimum at which the transitions looked good, and is a standard frame rate multiple on most monitors.

At some point in the future, we may look at trying to dynamically adjust the frame rates based on how many and what type of objects are on the screen; but it isn't a general problem that we've found with modern hardware. So, it becomes a lot of work to make things run slower on older hardware; and we have our hands full with delivering features already promised.

Regards,
JPG

skj310
October 2nd, 2020, 13:26
Some new feedback that i've noticed and am including compiled logs to back up. This is my forth time using FGU as a player, and in each of those 4 sessions (lasting from 2-4 hrs) I've had FGU crash. I didn't collect the logs from the 1st three times, but now that there's been a couple big updates since the start of this thread, i think I had better start collecting and sending. In each of the 4x instances the crash is consistently 70 to 90 minutes into the game. The best info that looks meaningful is from "player-prev.log" where i'm seeing:

Thread 1 (Thread 0x7f18d4fb3740 (LWP 17676)):
#0 syscall () at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/syscall.S:38
#1 0x00007f18d3d83f5e in vp8_loop_filter_bv_y_sse2 () from /home/crimsonnib/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/UnityPlayer.so
#2 0x00007f18d32dcd69 in ?? () from /home/crimsonnib/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/UnityPlayer.so
#3 0x00007f18d32c5198 in ?? () from /home/crimsonnib/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/UnityPlayer.so
#4 0x00007f18d32c50af in ?? () from /home/crimsonnib/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/UnityPlayer.so
#5 0x00007f18d34716a8 in ?? () from /home/crimsonnib/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/UnityPlayer.so
#6 0x00007f18d3483e19 in ?? () from /home/crimsonnib/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/UnityPlayer.so
#7 0x00007f18d3648bdc in ?? () from /home/crimsonnib/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/UnityPlayer.so
#8 0x00007f18d364366e in ?? () from /home/crimsonnib/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/UnityPlayer.so
#9 0x00007f18d36436b1 in ?? () from /home/crimsonnib/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/UnityPlayer.so
#10 0x00007f18d3643bca in ?? () from /home/crimsonnib/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/UnityPlayer.so
#11 0x00007f18d37df584 in PlayerMain(int, char**) () from /home/crimsonnib/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/UnityPlayer.so
#12 0x00007f18d209ab97 in __libc_start_main (main=0x400620, argc=9, argv=0x7ffcb7153308, init=<optimized out>, fini=<optimized out>, rtld_fini=<optimized out>, stack_end=0x7ffcb71532f8) at ../csu/libc-start.c:310
#13 0x0000000000400569 in ?? ()

================================================== ===============
Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
used by your application.
================================================== ===============

Caught fatal signal - signo:11 code:128 errno:0 addr:(nil)
Obtained 3 stack frames.
#0 0x007f18d247c8a0 in funlockfile
#1 0x007f18d33377bd in std::pair<std::_Rb_tree_iterator<int>, bool> std::_Rb_tree<int, int, std::_Identity<int>, std::less<int>, std::allocator<int> >::_M_insert_unique<int const&>(int const&)
#2 (nil) in (Unknown)

Hopefully that means something helpful.

Jiminimonka
October 2nd, 2020, 21:11
Random shut down when trying to maximise a minimised Map.

Moon Wizard
October 2nd, 2020, 21:27
Can you try this in a brand new campaign without extensions and modules loaded? You have hundreds of extensions and modules loaded which we don't have access to.

Thanks,
JPG

Jiminimonka
October 2nd, 2020, 21:39
Can you try this in a brand new campaign without extensions and modules loaded? You have hundreds of extensions and modules loaded which we don't have access to.

Thanks,
JPG

OK - probably tomorrow now - game about to start.

Jiminimonka
October 3rd, 2020, 10:43

Thanks,
JPG

The campaign (log files above) I was running yesterday has (and had yesterday) only 1 extension running when it crashed, CoreRPG - Author. Other things running are 5e Rulesets - (DMG, PHB, MM) and some of Rob2e "Extensions for Lazy People" (5e Conditions & Effects, Class Features, Race Traits, Spells, Potions, Wondrous Items and the FGU Map packs (FG 2019, FG Regional Map Module, Map with Art Pack 2019 and Town Maps 2, Stream_1 and Town and Village Map Pack).

Moon Wizard
October 3rd, 2020, 17:41
When I look at the console-prev.log in the logs you sent me (previous because they get reset when FGU launches); it shows 62 extensions and 114 modules loaded. I don't see any logs without those loaded.

Regards,
JPG

Jiminimonka
October 4th, 2020, 08:58
When I look at the console-prev.log in the logs you sent me (previous because they get reset when FGU launches); it shows 62 extensions and 114 modules loaded. I don't see any logs without those loaded.

Regards,
JPG

It is entirely possible that I crashed on a different campaign. I'm converting a 5e pdf to FG and may have been checking the "module" on the players campaign.

Jiminimonka
October 4th, 2020, 22:46
@smelton - I googled "unit linux mouse wheel" and discovered this - https://forum.unity.com/threads/linux-mouse-wheel-not-working.172395/ - 2013........

Moon Wizard
October 5th, 2020, 04:45
That post was in 2013, and noted that it was scheduled to be fixed in a build later that year. (Unity puts out approximately 3 versions a year, with 10-15 subversions per release.)

We haven't drilled in on this yet, but we will.

Regards,
JPG

Jiminimonka
October 5th, 2020, 07:09
That post was in 2013, and noted that it was scheduled to be fixed in a build later that year. (Unity puts out approximately 3 versions a year, with 10-15 subversions per release.)

We haven't drilled in on this yet, but we will.

Regards,
JPG

Yes I saw the 2013 - obviously a recurring bug in Unity lol