PDA

View Full Version : Is there a module or ext that has the various afflictions and poisons ready to go?

Larsenex
August 27th, 2020, 18:30
Greetings!

In preparation of killing my players ........

I need a refresher on how to apply poisons and afflictions in FG.

Several monsters from 1 edition D&D don't really convert well to P2.

I could use some suggestions but I will start with everyone's favorite > Rot Grubs!

P2 got rid of ability damage but I am sure considering bringing it back. I know that insta-kill mechanix like Save or die are also a thing of the past.

So the Monster has a 25% chance per hit to infect you with Rot Grubs. These guys in turn will kill you in 10-30 minutes unless you use a cure disease or apply fire to the infected area (and inflict 1d6 fire dmg on the player character)

I was considering making the rot grubs a poison (save DC 20 fortitude) which applied weakend1 on onset and lasted 6 minute and 1d6 dmg on stage 2.

What do you think (too harsh) and would you do something different?

Lastly does FG have a means to apply such effects automatically in game?

MaxAstro
August 27th, 2020, 19:08
P2 didn't exactly get rid of ability damage, it's just handle by conditions now. Drained is Con damage, Enfeebled is Str damage, Clumsy is Dex damage, and Stupified is Int/Wis/Cha damage. I'd recommend using those rather than trying to introduce an entirely new system that does basically the same thing.

Also, insta-kills do exist, but they are rare and typically require a failure AND a crit failure. See for example Phantasmal Killer, or the Mukradi (where getting hit is the "failure").

Larsenex
August 27th, 2020, 21:47
Max,

Thank you for the response. I just need a refresher on how to add afflictions in FG.

ShadeRaven
August 27th, 2020, 22:18
Lars.. you might want to take a look at my examples in Drag n Drop for something like Goblin Hex or similar (as well as affliction afflicting creatures that have been automated). Right now, the best bet is to simply create effects that monitor the progress and the intervals.

There are also afflictions that kill, absolutely, as Max said. Vargouille, Ghoul/Ghast, and even Filth Fever on early rats, but they are down the chain, so to speak, on the stages rather than being "insta". I think this is personally a good thing, since it creates more drama and opportunity for RP heroism.

As for Rot Grubs, not saying you shouldn't just create them in whatever image you wish - I remember those nasty little buggers well! Personally, I like tying % chance more into a DC appropriate for a level, but that's just me.

Finally, to add a new Affliction, just go into Effects (the person-symbol box in the upper right), click on the Afflictions up top, and there you can add new ones simply by right-clicking in an open area or using the slash (edit list) button in the bottom right.

Larsenex
August 28th, 2020, 00:20
Shade, thank you!

I think Ill scale back on some of the things I wanted. The dungeon in question has many of the old school 1rst ed things like spike pits, falling block walls. Real fun things! (lol)

ShadeRaven
August 28th, 2020, 02:56
I have converted so many of the old series modules to everything from 3.5 to even the new PF2 and everything in between. Fun to have these old flashback gaming nights, see how well I could mold them to the newer RPGs, let some newer player see what horrors we had to endure in the old days :D I hope your group(s) enjoying them as much as we did. Good luck! Feel free to seek more advice or just share what worked for you in the future :)