PDA

View Full Version : Working on a map. need layers advice.

Larsenex
August 26th, 2020, 18:03
Greetings folks. I am working on a map which has all the locations marked out on it. This is my map Ill use to note what is where.

I need the same map but most of the locations and the art to be not shown. For example The map has dozens of grave locations and I want the players to see only 1 or 2 and make the rest of the map plain.

Would I do this in Gimp and just have a separate map for Players? Would the tools in unity work and if so is there a video to teach me?

The Module allows for the player to enter any many locations. I want to change things and essentially limit the entrances to 5. I want other entrances there but want them to be unavailable to the players until they reach milestones or levels.

jwatmough
August 26th, 2020, 18:48
Good day Larsenex,
Yes Unity would work very well for this. Organizing your creations with layers and folders is a core concept with the integrated FGU image creation tools. Each has its own visibility setting allowing for hidden, GM only, or visible to all. This is set by using the Layers/folders list and clicking on the eye icon. I am not sure if there are specific videos related to this topic, however I can demonstrate these techniques on my Saturday stream at 3 PM eastern time (https://www.twitch.tv/fantasygrounds) if you would like to drop in. There I can answer questions directly and actually show you how to handle these scenarios. I am also more than happy to help you as much as I can on this thread as well.

LordEntrails
August 26th, 2020, 18:54
So are you creating this map in Gimp or in FGU?

In FGU, you can simply turn off the visibility of a various item (using it's layer) and then you have your player viewable map. Or if you don't like that, you can copy the entire image object in the image list, and then edit it and remove the various assets you don't want.

If you did the image in Gimp, if you used layers, you can simple turn off the correct layers and export it in both a DM and Player version.

Larsenex
August 26th, 2020, 22:59
Thank you for the replies. I am going to put the stream on my calendar and watch it.