PDA

View Full Version : FGU hanging on alt-tab.

StoryWeaver
August 26th, 2020, 04:09
I mentioned it before 2-3 months back.
Just wondering if the issue of FGU hanging for a few seconds each time that you alt tab out and back to it (FGU losing focus while looking at PDF's etc) will be addressed as part of the performance improvements?

Moon Wizard
August 26th, 2020, 04:22
It's due to FGU checking all the asset folders for new/changed files when you Alt-Tab. If you reduce the number of custom image files in images/tokens, it would speed up the alt-tabbing.

Regards,
JPG

StoryWeaver
August 26th, 2020, 04:56
Wouldn't it make more sense to do that when you actually open the Assets instead? Or leave it as an option to automatically or manually do it?

Moon Wizard
August 26th, 2020, 05:51
It would be even slower to open the Assets window, if we did it at that time. It's already a lot of overhead to generate the thumbnails as we need them to fill the Assets window. It's just shifting the load somewhere else, that affects a different set of users.

Regards,
JPG

StoryWeaver
August 26th, 2020, 06:31
My thought behind it was that during any given session, I have to alt-tab a few dozen times (check PDFs, discord, googling lore or game related things, changing sound stream, locating assets before searching in Assets, the list goes on).

Where as I maybe only open the assets window 2-5 times over the same time, thus having to wait a little longer when opening Assets makes a lot more sense to me than having to wait for that extra time each time I re-focus FGU anyways. Even if no images have been added or modified, which is the majority of cases.

But that's my side of the experience and how it affects my games, I'm sure some people never alt-tab out of FGU during the whole session.

I appreciate the replies regardless. You have your own parameters to prioritize and your own data you're working from, so that's fair enough.

I guess I'll either have to try to find other ways of working with Assets, accept that it'll stay like this, or consider alternatives.

Moon Wizard
August 26th, 2020, 16:56
I appreciate your patience; and it is something I want to optimize long term. It's more a matter of priorities. As I mentioned, you can improve by paring down the number of files in tokens/images in the FGU data folder to those you are/will use in the short term.

Regards,
JPG

StoryWeaver
August 26th, 2020, 18:25
I'll see what I can do about slimming the Image/Tokens/Portraits folders thank you.

Some things will be more impactful for different people.
In my case this just happens to have reached the top of the usability list, since you guys have already fixed list loading and handling.

A couple of things that would help a lot, in order of impact:

1) Being able to drag and drop images into Images & Maps. Exactly what the "Import File" button does now, only accepting drag and drop instead.
This would allow for a similar workflow as in FGC.

2) Being able to select what modules and specific folders to import imagery from into the Assets from.
Currently have dozens of folders in Assets with all kinds of art work of various quality, that I will never use and don't want in there. Only serving to clutter up the Assets and slowing things down when using or trying to find things in there. Would help loads for streamlining and cleaning up the contents to what I actually use in Assets.

I appreciate that all these things take time, and you guys are already working hard to get things working. It's a steady progress over time.

I'll do some experimenting on my side in the mean time to change things up, and see if I can find a workable middle ground between performance and availability of imagery.

Moon Wizard
August 26th, 2020, 18:39
1) Unfortunately, the Unity game engine does not have any way that we have found to intercept file drops that we have found; so that won't be implemented in FGU.

2) We talked about having some sort of Assets management system, but it would require an entire UI of it's own as opposed to focusing on making the existing system faster.

Regards,
JPG

bmos
August 26th, 2020, 18:45
Does compressing images into files like the ppks for portraits get around the reloading on alt-tab aspect or are these rescanned at that time also?

Moon Wizard
August 26th, 2020, 19:27
Anything in the campaign images/tokens subfolders or FGU data folder images/tokens subfolders gets refreshed/checked on application switch. Compression/packaging doesn't change that part.

Regards,
JPG

Kelrugem
October 23rd, 2020, 14:28
I'll see what I can do about slimming the Image/Tokens/Portraits folders thank you.

Some things will be more impactful for different people.
In my case this just happens to have reached the top of the usability list, since you guys have already fixed list loading and handling.

A couple of things that would help a lot, in order of impact:

1) Being able to drag and drop images into Images & Maps. Exactly what the "Import File" button does now, only accepting drag and drop instead.
This would allow for a similar workflow as in FGC.

2) Being able to select what modules and specific folders to import imagery from into the Assets from.
Currently have dozens of folders in Assets with all kinds of art work of various quality, that I will never use and don't want in there. Only serving to clutter up the Assets and slowing things down when using or trying to find things in there. Would help loads for streamlining and cleaning up the contents to what I actually use in Assets.

I appreciate that all these things take time, and you guys are already working hard to get things working. It's a steady progress over time.

I'll do some experimenting on my side in the mean time to change things up, and see if I can find a workable middle ground between performance and availability of imagery.

It looks like that with the new update your problem with the loading after alt+tab is solved :) (there is now an asset refresh button instead :) )