PDA

View Full Version : Getting started making a simple ruleset

timgray
August 25th, 2020, 14:06
I am starting to make a new ruleset for Morrow Project 4E and so far so good. I have a few things working, I understand lua and XML. but I was wondering where I can find documentation on editing the character sheet to have some more automation.

For example, in the MP character sheet you roll up your stats, and then they are doubled for what you roll (percentile under system) how do I put in a calculated field after the field where the player enters their stat?

superteddy57
August 25th, 2020, 20:10
The best advice I can give you is to unpack CoreRPG, 3.5e, and 5e rulesets, they offer fields that are modifiers of original input. These will help you find what you are looking to attempt. Unpacking means to unzip the .pak file into a folder. This will expose the ruleset files to you and you will be able to open them to see the code. If you see something in those 3 rulesets that appeal to you and you wish to know how it works, then you can do a search within that ruleset's folder and hunt down the exact it was done. There is unfortunately no documentation on full ruleset developement, but there is a refdoc that may also help as well (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/Comm.xcp).

timgray
August 25th, 2020, 20:27
Aha! The ref doc is what I needed! Thank you! I already tried the rest and it's so badly jumbled up. Sad the XML parser cant accept comment lines so that the files could have been self documenting.

superteddy57
August 25th, 2020, 20:35
Well the refdoc provides a ton of information, but please understand that many templates have been made based on those elements within the document and are not documented in the refdoc. So using them may require to rebuild some of the templates already made. CoreRPG is filled with such templates as it's what all the rulesets are layered upon to gain this benefit of using those templates. So don't rule out checking out those files as well with the refdoc.