PDA

View Full Version : Rulesets and data libraries

TrainerRed
August 24th, 2020, 18:43

If I buy FG, libraries are instruction books I get for free ,
but rulesets means FG understands how to play those games but won't give me the instructions to play them, right?
For example, Numenera's ruleset is included, but I can't buy the game here, only at other stores. I like to play this game.
If I want to play a game that is not on sale here, do I have to "teach" FG how to play it?

superteddy57
August 24th, 2020, 18:52
Rulesets are the mechanics of the system you are buying. This will give a place to create a character, npcs, items, and so forth. This will allow you to export and create your own content. The Modules (Data Libraries) are what contains the records from commercial products. You may get story entries, reference manual, items, npcs, and so forth. I know you may have not mentioned this, but the third type of file is extensions. This modifies the ruleset to change it's behavior for something that may be homebrew or automation that may be missing. Extensions also include FG's themes to change the look of the program. Which you may see with some products.

TrainerRed
August 24th, 2020, 18:57
If I want to play, Apocalypse World, can I just rule the dice I need and create the character sheets?

superteddy57
August 24th, 2020, 19:01
Certainly, there are a few options to choose from.

1) Create your own ruleset. This is the most time intensive and code heavy approach. The codebase is XML and LUA.
2) CoreRPG. This is the vanilla base ruleset that all the others are layered upon. This doesn't have a ton of automation, but a pick up game could be created with the tools provided within the ruleset.
3) MoreCore. A fan made ruleset that expands CoreRPG to be more robust and have more automation. It basically is close to making a ruleset without code. There is a small learning curve, but there is a ton of information and tutorials in the forums. Many community made extensions have been made to specialize MoreCore to run various systems.

LordEntrails
August 24th, 2020, 21:15
Here's an example of using CoreRPG to play a game of Star Frontiers (an old TSR RPG that mostly uses d10 and d100s). The character sheets you see are created through the UI in CoreRPG and then the info is filled in and tracked in a manual process. Die rolls etc. You can see their is a small amount of automation, but most die rolling is manually compared to stats.
https://youtu.be/GgCMSGvarmo?list=PLXaP4OoFR0gEbx7a9clBESxp8_HgPVYj P&t=4759