PDA

View Full Version : Bug? Token titles blank on map

Ludd_G
August 23rd, 2020, 17:29
Hi,

I've just been hit with a new issue/bug in Unity 5e. Since yesterday my tokens on the map are showing a blank title, if options are set to 'title' or 'hover' but the name does show up as 'tooltip'. When I first encountered this I was running compatibility elimination tests for various extension issues I was dealing with so assumed it was another extension incompatibility issue. But since then I've tested with several new 5e campaigns, with no extensions running and only using the basic rules loadout (PHB, DMG, MM, VGtM etc.) and then on a separate test adding LMoP into the mix, but I'm still encountering the same issue. In the past I've tweaked the Simple Brown theme extension, but as I'm not activating any extension and am launching totally default I'm at a loss as to what it could be.

Anybody else seeing anything similar?

Cheers,

Simon

LordEntrails
August 23rd, 2020, 17:39
Is this the issue shown here? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61138-Unable-to-name-Token-s-on-the-map

Ludd_G
August 23rd, 2020, 17:42
No, it's the actual name of the NPC straight out of the MM that's missing, I'm not typing anything in, and as I said this is totally vanilla, with no extensions loaded. I'm going to do a forced update now (hadn't seen this option before) and see if that helps....

Zacchaeus
August 23rd, 2020, 17:49
In my active campaign - where there are already tokens on the map I see the names. But when I test in another campaign I do indeed see blank names.

Ludd_G
August 23rd, 2020, 17:52

Here's what I'm seeing after doing a forced update. Strangely this occurred only on the second time I launched this test campaign after the update, the first time the names we displaying again fine. I then closed down (radial menu to launcher) and relaunched and the names were blank.

I have noticed since the most recent update an occasional error list on closing FGU, but it hadn't occured during this bit of testing.

Ludd_G
August 23rd, 2020, 18:04
Hi Zacchaeus,

yes that's what I'm seeing too. Strangely every now and again the titles will work on one launch but not the next (happened a couple of times out of a dozen or so launches)

Zacchaeus
August 23rd, 2020, 18:13
Hi Zacchaeus,

yes that's what I'm seeing too. Strangely every now and again the titles will work on one launch but not the next (happened a couple of times out of a dozen or so launches)

Ah, you are correct. When I went back to my current campaign I see this. And cycling through the options doesn't make them come back.

Ludd_G
August 23rd, 2020, 18:13
Ok, so I opened an older (last launched before this issue arose) campaign and all the titles were fine, and even newly added NPCs (from NPC List, to CT, to Map) showed their title fine. I then closed out to launcher and then relaunched it and all the titles are now blank.

So it seems that closing a campaign is doing something to it which give blank titles the next time it's opened?

Ludd_G
August 23rd, 2020, 18:29
New discovery! If you exit FGU via 'exit program' then the next launch titles are back (even on a campaign you've already had blank titles in), but if you 'exit to launcher' or '/reload' the titles are missing, so it seems to be related to the new soft exit options in this most recent build.

At least this seems to mean you can 'recover' any campaigns showing blank titles by doing a full 'exit program' rather than 'exit to launcher' or '/reload'.

I hope this helps.

Zacchaeus
August 23rd, 2020, 19:02
Good detective work. I can replicate this exactly. Shutting down instead of return to launcher fixes the issue. Well played.

Ludd_G
August 23rd, 2020, 19:30
Those years I had in video games playtesting/QA finally pay off! :D

eriktedesco
August 23rd, 2020, 21:27
Good to know I was not the only one dealing with this strange behaviour!

Moon Wizard
August 24th, 2020, 17:19
Thanks for the extra sleuthing. Definitely saved us some back and forth; since we probably would have seen that it was working normally on first loads. Carl is looking at a fix for this week's build.

Regards,
JPG

Ludd_G
August 24th, 2020, 17:26
No problem and thanks for all your work!