PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Creation Help

Tenser
April 29th, 2007, 08:06
I'm fairly new to FG as I've only used it as a player for about a month now, but I'm getting up to speed and getting ready to use it from the GM side soon. I'm converting and inputting the old Keep on the Borderland adventure into FG2 and I have a couple of questions about using FG2:

1) I've set up story pages and dragged links for some kobolds to a room and that seems to work pretty well. However, some of the kobolds have different equipment than the standard ones from 'd20 monsters', so I tried to modify it and couldn't figure out how. Next, I tried setting up a 'personality' for the better equipped Kobolds (called "Kobold Guard"), but even though I started with a clean slate on the stats for the Kobold Guards, I couldn't modify any of the 'draggable boxes' on the monster stat window such as hit points, initiative, the stats like strength, and the saving throws. How would you go about putting 'different from d20' monsters into your adventure? And if I should be creating a new personality like I did, how do I modifty those 'draggable' stats?

2) What do the other DM's out there do about treasure? It would be convenient for me to have some method where I could drag some text into a box the players could see listing the treasure for each room, but I'm unsure how to do that.

Tenser
April 29th, 2007, 08:31
I ran into a couple more issues using FG2:

3) I brought up a blank character sheet and tried to input attack and damage information on the 'Combat' tab. Most of the fields allowed me to modify the boxes, but I couldn't enter anything into the 'Damage' box. How do I go about doing this?

4) I noticed when using the /die command from the chat box that something like "/die 1d20 Attack" defaults to hidden now and "/die ? 1d20 Attack" gives the result "GM 0". How do I show rolls to players now without having the drag the result back into the chat box?

The High Druid
April 29th, 2007, 18:28
1+2) Can't help you there, I mostly make it up as I go along.

3) you can drag dice into the first damage box and the damage modifier goes into the second.

4) Was answered here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5937)

Tenser
April 29th, 2007, 20:47
Ooh, thanks much.

Griogre
April 30th, 2007, 05:45
1) I've set up story pages and dragged links for some kobolds to a room and that seems to work pretty well. However, some of the kobolds have different equipment than the standard ones from 'd20 monsters', so I tried to modify it and couldn't figure out how. Next, I tried setting up a 'personality' for the better equipped Kobolds (called "Kobold Guard"), but even though I started with a clean slate on the stats for the Kobold Guards, I couldn't modify any of the 'draggable boxes' on the monster stat window such as hit points, initiative, the stats like strength, and the saving throws. How would you go about putting 'different from d20' monsters into your adventure? And if I should be creating a new personality like I did, how do I modifty those 'draggable' stats?
I'm not exactly sure about your problem but you may be trying to mod a monster in the library which is static. Let me tell you how I would mod the Kobold guards. I would drag a normal Kobold from the d20 Monster entry into the Personality List. I would then change the name to Kobold Guard and I would edit the entries that needed it. Most non combat enteries probably would not need to be modified. On the Combat and Other tabs you should be able to edit the numbers my clicking the mouse on them and typing. Fields with just a number you could just roll the mouse wheel over. In the Main Tab to edit stuff need to right click and select edit. You need to do this on top of the exsisting writing not below the bottom of entry maker line.

2) What do the other DM's out there do about treasure? It would be convenient for me to have some method where I could drag some text into a box the players could see listing the treasure for each room, but I'm unsure how to do that.
Treasure, usually just verbally tell give them a description of treasure because a lot of the time stuff isn't identified or they don't know the value of items. I will often tell them to write down with the unknown stuff which room number and module it came from so I can find it later when they are in a position to get it identified or appaised.

Tenser
April 30th, 2007, 06:55
Dragging the 'd20' monster into the personality window is a great tip, thanks!

Dementia Five
May 24th, 2007, 17:39
Forgive the noobie question, but in creating link for my campaigns (stories) I would just edit the paragraph and click the link (causing the swuare to appear) then go into the code with notepad and edit the location.

Is there a better way? For instance, in the story, I would instruct the DM to click "here" for wandering monster table, which would trigger a pop-up from another "chapter". Is there a drag-and-drop mechanism for this?

Griogre
May 24th, 2007, 18:17
Sure, after you create the square and while the place where the square is still in edit mode - open the table you want to link to. Then drag the square or circle in the top left corner down to your empty square link and drop it. If you did it right the square will fill. The link actually will not work until you exit edit mode, so to test it exit edit and then click on the filled square.

Dementia Five
May 24th, 2007, 18:44
Thanks so much... a silly question I realize, but you just saved me a lot of time.

sloejack
May 24th, 2007, 22:44

Your other questions were answered already but for this one you could add the treasure into the description area and then format it with a Frame so that you could drag it from the personality description into the chat box to quickly list out the treasure found.

Tenser
May 26th, 2007, 18:52
Thanks sloejack, another good tip. :) I've finished about 90% of the adventure now. I'm working on the maps and have a bit of work to do on a few of the bad guys with class levels and I'll be finished.