PDA

View Full Version : Playing on the Cloud 4 players very laggy for dm

vaughnlannister
August 23rd, 2020, 11:19
Hi,

First time testing the cloud, because one of my players couldn't connect with port forwarding.

There were 4 PCs connected to my game, it was extremely tasking and laggy from my side as a DM.
When one player left things became much more playable instantly, don't know if it's due to that player having the worst internet connection or something else.

I would really hope to see some more optimisation for the Macs, I have a matchbook air 2020 and it uses up a tremendous amount of cpu when my players are connected.

Thanks!

LordEntrails
August 23rd, 2020, 17:19
Log files from the GM and the player who was causing the issue (as evidenced by the problem being resolved when they left) would probably be needed in order to trouble shoot this. It would probably also help to include the O/S and other information requested in this post; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51687-How-to-Report-Issues-Bugs-and-Problems

Moon Wizard
August 24th, 2020, 03:56
I've noted in a few other threads, that there is an issue with FGU and MacBooks related to high CPU utilization which we have been having trouble pinpointing. Since we've only seen it a few times in the last several months internally; and can not seem to recreate while debugging; we would appreciate any information you can think of related to exactly when the CPU utilization jumped above 100%.

Regards,
JPG

vaughnlannister
August 24th, 2020, 09:38
I remember seeing the CPU start to spike rapidly, from 100 to 164 after opening a map, I also had the CT open. The CPU did drop when I openend another map, then I tried opening the same map but it didn't spike again. I will try to investigate further if I'm able to reproduce it, I can also provide logs, just tell me which ones if there useful?

5e-ruleset
Campaign-Started in FGU

Mac Specs
Version 10.15.6 macOS Cataline
MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020)
Processor Name: 1.1 ghz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Memory: 8 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4
Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB

vaughnlannister
August 24th, 2020, 11:12
Moving, token's with LoS enabled on map makes the CPU spike on my end 120% CPU, it takes a few seconds but you'll get a spike. Then when the token is not moving it drops. Also I'm pretty sure CPU spikes when players are connected to the game. My Fans just start to blow real hard when they do.

So what I see is.. I grab a token.. drag it fast up and down the map.. then leave it alone I get a spike between 120-130% CPU.

Moon Wizard
August 24th, 2020, 19:47
Thanks for the info. It's somewhat expected that the performance will spike when LoS is being updated on maps. It's a fairly intensive operation.

I'm more concerned with recreating scenarios that cause the CPU to spike up to 200% plus, and it stays there. Even though nothing is running. I think that is on top of what you are seeing when using maps. (i.e. goes up to 300% plus when using maps while the issue I'm trying to capture is active.)

Thanks,
JPG