PDA

View Full Version : Vision distance

Markd102
August 23rd, 2020, 07:30
Forgive me if this has been covered. A search found nothing.
Also I have only seen Unity from a GM perspective in the free version, so sorry if it is different as a player......

It seems a player can see an infinite distance, even in the dark with no darkvision or light source.
The only playing experience I have with LoS is in Roll20, where each token can be assigned a light (vision) radius.
Does unity have such a thing, or is it a feature still coming?

Loving FG and excited for a final release of Unity

Cheers

Kelrugem
August 23rd, 2020, 09:18
Forgive me if this has been covered. A search found nothing.
Also I have only seen Unity from a GM perspective in the free version, so sorry if it is different as a player......

It seems a player can see an infinite distance, even in the dark with no darkvision or light source.
The only playing experience I have with LoS is in Roll20, where each token can be assigned a light (vision) radius.
Does unity have such a thing, or is it a feature still coming?

Loving FG and excited for a final release of Unity

Cheers

At the moment FGU has only infinite range visibility :) Dynamic lighting is one of the first features for after release :)

Markd102
August 23rd, 2020, 09:24
Good to know. Thanks

Kelrugem
August 23rd, 2020, 11:11
Good to know. Thanks

you're welcome :)

Paganspider
September 29th, 2020, 20:58
dynamic lighting currently works. you can set walls on the map and there is a fog of war that is slowly cleared as the pc's move through the map. the only way to do any kind of view distance that i can find though is doing it manually through masking on top of implementing the dynamic lighting

thornious
September 30th, 2020, 22:38
dynamic lighting currently works. you can set walls on the map and there is a fog of war that is slowly cleared as the pc's move through the map. the only way to do any kind of view distance that i can find though is doing it manually through masking on top of implementing the dynamic lighting

thanks for this while clunky at least it is somewhat of a solution

FundPirate
January 2nd, 2021, 23:07
"there is a fog of war that is slowly cleared as the pc's move through the map."

How do we find this? I only see the time of day, Masking and LOS features. And if available does it depend on the individual player. or can the whole team seen the reveal of the fog of war

Zacchaeus
January 2nd, 2021, 23:34
The fog if war mentioned is referring to line of sight. See the second video here for details on how it works https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55797-How-do-I-in-Unity

DCrumb
January 3rd, 2021, 08:00
Light and vision distance is being worked on and should be here soon(TM).

FearMe
January 6th, 2021, 05:50
Very much looking forward to this feature. Love the system so far.

Pepa
January 21st, 2021, 15:07
we need the range of vision, i try whit LOS and mask but is not the same, we need limit the character to see 60 ft and 120 ft

Trenloe
January 21st, 2021, 15:14
we need the range of vision, i try whit LOS and mask but is not the same, we need limit the character to see 60 ft and 120 ft
Welcome to the FG forums. It's coming. See info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?64462-Super-Secret-Sneak-Preview-of-Lighting-and-Vision-Shhhh-don-t-tell-Carl-and-John

seycyrus
January 21st, 2021, 23:56

What's so special about 60 ft and 120 ft? Why not 5 yards and 15 yards?

Jiminimonka
January 22nd, 2021, 00:05
What's so special about 60 ft and 120 ft? Why not 5 yards and 15 yards?

Cos its using the terminology of D&D and most other fantasy games ;)

seycyrus
January 22nd, 2021, 04:48
Cos its using the terminology of D&D and most other fantasy games ;)

Yeah, but those distances always seemed to be pretty arbitrary to me.

Jiminimonka
January 22nd, 2021, 11:29
Yeah, but those distances always seemed to be pretty arbitrary to me.

Well, yeah they are. But Gary Gygax was a feet and inches man.

Jiminimonka
January 22nd, 2021, 11:51
And with FGU you can change the units to Yard, or Metres or whatever you want now on the map.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 22nd, 2021, 11:56
The measures used, whether arbitrary or not, are beside the point, the case is that I want to put lighting on my map. I want to surprise the player by placing him in a cave or dungeon and hearing him say, oh but I can't see anything!
And be able to say. really? How about you activate your torch?
Ah! Didn't buy it? You have two options to face the darkness in the hope of finding a flashlight or torch or go back and buy :D
And I hope this happens in February, but my 6th sense says that only in March will we be presented with such a resource :D

Jiminimonka
January 22nd, 2021, 12:00
The measures used, whether arbitrary or not, are beside the point, the case is that I want to put lighting on my map. I want to surprise the player by placing him in a cave or dungeon and hearing him say, oh but I can't see anything!
And be able to say. really? How about you activate your torch?
Ah! Didn't buy it? You have two options to face the darkness in the hope of finding a flashlight or torch or go back and buy :D
And I hope this happens in February, but my 6th sense says that only in March will we be presented with such a resource :D

Yeah it will be fun having players have to remember to use their light sources!

Timeline who knows but the devs are working on it right now, and its better to have it working perfectly and beyond expectations that to try to mimic those other lesser VTTs.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 22nd, 2021, 12:26
I believe it will be the same as the others, but with something "different" to compensate and please.