PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from Steam FGC to Unity

billyb3
August 21st, 2020, 20:36
Is this still not giving a discount? I have now paid 3 or 4 months of a subscription while waiting for SW to fix their store. I have been using FGU for awhile now. At $10 a month, it is getting to be almost to the point of having been better to pay full price. I am now starting to have regrets for going in on fantasy grounds at all. Hundreds of dollars wasted...

Granamere
August 21st, 2020, 21:00
I would try this. Login to the store. Add Unity to your cart and see what the discount is. I am guessing you will see a decent discount.

If you are waiting for Unity to be available on Steam so you can buy it there I think I read there is a problem on Steams side of being able to show everything you have bought in FGC as also purchased in FGU. Last I read since almost no one has mixed products on steam it was very low on the list from Steam to fix it.

Zacchaeus
August 21st, 2020, 21:09
No, Unity is still not available from Steam. It is taking Valve longer than expected to sort out everything so that the DLC can be used by both products. There's still no firm ETA on this unfortunately.

similarly
August 22nd, 2020, 01:44
This is a post I made in the FGU Dynamic Lighting Support Thread:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49351-FGU-Dynamic-Lighting-Support-for-Different-Types-of-Light-Sources&p=535460#post535460

They start talking about the STEAM release from about 47 minutes
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/710093887

Around 48:30 Doug says he still hopes the STEAM release will be by the end of the month.

They said towards the end (around 51:00) that animated maps are probably problematic, but they ARE looking at sounds, dynamic lighting ranges, locking tokens, and some other features that could be added later.

So they are still hoping to get a STEAM release by the end of August. It IS coming soon. Apparently, all the problems with STEAM are worked out now, and they're just trying to hammer down a few bug-fixes and stability issues before release.

Now, I don't know where in the forums I read it, but I read that if you ordered FGC Ultimate from the the fantasy grounds store, and then order FGU Ultimate from the fantasy grounds store, you get a 40% discount, but if you have FGC Ultimate on STEAM, you'll have to wait for a STEAM release for the discount. But then I read elsewhere that you MAY be able to buy FGU Ultimate on the fg website, pay full price, contact support, and get a discount applied retroactively. However, since I don't remember where those posts were, and I'm going off memory, I could be totally off.

FG Support would know the answer to that.

LordEntrails
August 22nd, 2020, 01:59
Now, I don't know where in the forums I read it, but I read that if you ordered FGC Ultimate from the the fantasy grounds store, and then order FGU Ultimate from the fantasy grounds store, you get a 40% discount, but if you have FGC Ultimate on STEAM, you'll have to wait for a STEAM release for the discount. But then I read elsewhere that you MAY be able to buy FGU Ultimate on the fg website, pay full price, contact support, and get a discount applied retroactively. However, since I don't remember where those posts were, and I'm going off memory, I could be totally off.

I thought the same. But recently a poster said they had reached out to support about this and were told that support could not do that.

similarly
August 22nd, 2020, 02:40
I thought the same. But recently a poster said they had reached out to support about this and were told that support could not do that.

Thank you for clarifying that. Support continues to be the best place for the latest and most accurate information.

billyb3
August 24th, 2020, 00:01
I would try this. Login to the store. Add Unity to your cart and see what the discount is. I am guessing you will see a decent discount.

If you are waiting for Unity to be available on Steam so you can buy it there I think I read there is a problem on Steams side of being able to show everything you have bought in FGC as also purchased in FGU. Last I read since almost no one has mixed products on steam it was very low on the list from Steam to fix it.

I did that before I made my post. I just checked again. It gives me a 10% discount. I saw the information about Steam/Valve issues. I am just disappointed that I have paid 3 or 4 months' worth of subscription when I should have just bought the full-price version. I do not really expect anything from SW anymore. As I said earlier, I am most upset with myself for going all-in with FG. The only reason I am sticking it out now is I have spent hundreds of dollars with FG and I do not want to drop that much again going with the competition.

similarly
August 24th, 2020, 00:59
I think also if you are on a subscription, you simply end one subscription and start another. I think the discount ONLY applies to buying the one-time Ultimate price.

I stopped playing D&D 25 years ago after I first moved away from my gaming group, and a year later, moved to Japan. I honestly thought I'd never play D&D again. Then, Covid-19 struck Japan, and someone on a local facebook group I belong to started organizing D&D groups for everyone. I got in with a group using Roll20, but wasn't totally happy with it. It felt too limiting, and I didn't like the subscription model. So I checked out FG. Like you, I went all-in. I bought FGC Ultimate, even knowing that the STEAM release of Unity was months away, because FGC was on sale, and I figured, with the discount on Unity, it would work out about the same, and I could practice on FGC while waiting for Unity.

I don't regret my decision at all. For me, at least, Unity's worth waiting for. I know my situation is probably different because I'm between groups now, but I know it'll be worth it in the end. I've looked at a BUNCH of other VTT's, and while some look very good, and each has their strengths, for me, Fantasy Grounds is still the best one overall. It also has the most active developers. Smiteworks is AWESOME about communicating with customers and fans.

Ryuson
August 24th, 2020, 19:17
Just wanted to say that I bought into FG (Classic) knowing that my content purchases would transfer over to Unity when I eventually make the move. I don't mind getting another license but I would mind if I had to repurchase all my content (which I wouldn't do). Smart move on the part of Smitworks!

similarly
August 25th, 2020, 13:03
Update: In the most recent Twitch:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/717092224

At about 29 minutes, David Middleton says "Steam will have Unity ... We've already got the approval for having Unity up on Steam, and we're hoping for an official release towards the end of this month for Fantasy Grounds Unity. The beta has been going wonderful. The program is rock solid now. ... and we will go ahead and have a full release by the end of this month."

This was posted 4 days ago.