PDA

View Full Version : How Alive is the MGT 1e FG Ruleset?

kronovan
August 21st, 2020, 19:44
I'm looking to run a Military SciFi campaign and Traveller is one of the rulesets I'm considering. However, I only own the Mongoose Traveller 1e PDFs, but noticed there's little support for that edition of the ruleset for Fantasy Grounds - just the core rules and 1 adventure. If I buy the FG Traveller ruleset, this campaign is likely the one time I'll use them, so I'm not looking to spend a lot $. Note; I'm not in the US and my countries currency isn't exactly strong vs the USD these days, so the FG rulesets aren't exactly cheap.

I'm running FGC Ultimate, so current compatibility with FGU isn't an issue for me. That said, I do plan to move to FGU once it's available for Steam and that could occur before my campaign completes. So knowing that the 1e ruleset is continuing to be updated, or at least continuing to worked on so they're compatible with FGU is important to me.

So my question is; is the MGT 1e ruleset still getting some development attention?

MadBeardMan
August 22nd, 2020, 11:08
Good Question.

I do have an update for 1E ready, bringing it inline with the 2E work on Systems/World Data.

Mongoose are not wanting any 1E material whlst 2E material is being released. One day I hope they'll allow the conversion of 1E books as I personally think some 1E material is awesome.

So 1E players should let me know what they want and I'll see what I can do, though 1E will get a version of the Ship Combat once it's done for 2E.

Cheers,
MBM

kronovan
August 22nd, 2020, 16:48
Thanks for the info MBM. That gives me confidence that it's still an active ruleset.

[Edit] The only thing I'd be looking for other than what's included are more NPCs and a bit of a bestiary. From the screenshots of the product, it looks like only a handful of default NPCs are included, certainly much less than the 24 that are in the MGT 1e core rule book. And I don't see any beasts/monsters in those screenshots. For me the latter aren't as important, because beasts will be far & few in my campaign and there isn't a single alien species. A good variety of NPCs though is much more important.

esmdev
August 22nd, 2020, 17:06
Good Question.

I do have an update for 1E ready, bringing it inline with the 2E work on Systems/World Data.

Mongoose are not wanting any 1E material whlst 2E material is being released. One day I hope they'll allow the conversion of 1E books as I personally think some 1E material is awesome.

So 1E players should let me know what they want and I'll see what I can do, though 1E will get a version of the Ship Combat once it's done for 2E.

Cheers,
MBM

I've always thought it was really sad and short sighted of Mongoose to take that position. There are so many good books and supplements in MGT1 that they have no plans to revisit because they are so easy to adapt as is to MGT2 at the tabletop, but not so much for FG. I had originally hoped that 2E would take all the 1E material and revise it to be more universally consistent but alas...

I actually think in many ways MGT1 is better than 2, it just needed some consistency streamlining. I've always felt that they ditched 1E mostly to get away from OGL so they could have more control over the third-party development, might just be a conspiracy theory.

It's too bad we can't unlock the MGT1 ruleset so extensions and such would be more doable.

kronovan
August 24th, 2020, 20:14
It's too bad we can't unlock the MGT1 ruleset so extensions and such would be more doable.

Is it at least possible to export a custom module the MGT 1e ruleset? And create custom groups on the drop-down menus?

I saw a screenshot of the Library form, but there wasn't an [Export] button. Some FG rulesets put that on the Modules form though, so I wonder if it possibly does the same.

esmdev
August 24th, 2020, 20:38
Is it at least possible to export a custom module the MGT 1e ruleset? And create custom groups on the drop-down menus?

I saw a screenshot of the Library form, but there wasn't an [Export] button. Some FG rulesets put that on the Modules form though, so I wonder if it possibly does the same.

The current MGT1 release does have export capabilities, so creating custom modules isn't an issue.

kronovan
August 24th, 2020, 20:39
Many thanks for the reply and info esmdev.

backwardoracle
September 3rd, 2020, 12:48
Kronovan, am I right in thinking your just looking for a NPC module & Animal encounters ? no actual Official content?