PDA

View Full Version : Coding a rule set for Wheel of Time

JesterRed
August 19th, 2020, 17:08
I have a physical core rule book for The Wheel of Time RPG put out by WoTC for the D20 3.0 system. I also have the book that gives the official conversion for that system to 5E rules.

My group wants to play but they want to use FG(classic for now/Unity soon) to do it. I am familiar with coding (Python/HTML/Java) but nothing heavy in FG. I can do effects and some basic Item creation.

Should I just add the classes/skills and such to my existing Rules for 5E? Should I program in the whole thing? Can I convert those books into source books to add in to the PHB and DMG?

Did someone already do all this and I just haven't found it? Or is someone partway through and needs help?

Should I pack it all in and just play on paper?

Thanks!

Valyar
August 19th, 2020, 17:10
No need to code new ruleset. 5E should provide you all you need and just adding content is required here. Also, if you want full immersion a custom theme might be created as extension, but that's about it.

JesterRed
August 19th, 2020, 17:27
No need to code new ruleset. 5E should provide you all you need and just adding content is required here. Also, if you want full immersion a custom theme might be created as extension, but that's about it.

That is a relief! Wheel of Time does a point based magic system. That is the part that is really got me worried.

LordEntrails
August 20th, 2020, 05:50
That is a relief! Wheel of Time does a point based magic system. That is the part that is really got me worried.
You might not want to use 5E spells, instead use powers in the ACtions tab and then you can setup long/short rest points/powers per day. Look at sorcery point examples.