PDA

View Full Version : No Big Splash For Fg2???

Zuxius
April 28th, 2007, 16:11
I am sorry guys, but the web site just isn't doing you all justice. Microsoft on my computer tells me not to trust your website without proper certificates. There is absolutely nothing on your site (that I can see) which tells the visitor that you are even selling version 2.0. Matter-of-fact, there is no telling what version you are on. Whatever that ticker on the homepage was, it just reads 000000 for me and nothing else. People should not have to do any fancy downloading just to view your site. For those that know this site and follow it well, this all seems unimportant, but for those that have never been here before, this seems rather scary. Windows XP says that it is not recommended that I visit this site every time I log on. I never get this message unless I am visiting your site or perhaps a Warez site (which I never do).

So please, give this FG2 a proper place to strut its stuff (by at least showing that it is out) and make sure that your site is complient with Microsoft Certificates. Otherwise, this site will reflect poorly on people believing you can actually create a program that does what FG2 does. Don't you think?

Cheers,
Zuxius

Sir Bayard
April 28th, 2007, 16:38
Hmm, the counter reads Fantasy Grounds II and has a little arrow to click for the download for me, and I never downloaded anything special. The screenshots section also states that version 2 screenshots will be up shortly, so it does mention it at least a little. Maybe anice big Fantasy Groudns II released Banner on the front page.. heh heh.

As for the Microsfot thing, never had an issue before here.

Aescleal
April 28th, 2007, 17:10
I am sorry guys, but the web site just isn't doing you all justice. Microsoft on my computer tells me not to trust your website without proper certificates. There is absolutely nothing on your site (that I can see) which tells the visitor that you are even selling version 2.0. Matter-of-fact, there is no telling what version you are on. Whatever that ticker on the homepage was, it just reads 000000 for me and nothing else. People should not have to do any fancy downloading just to view your site. For those that know this site and follow it well, this all seems unimportant, but for those that have never been here before, this seems rather scary. Windows XP says that it is not recommended that I visit this site every time I log on. I never get this message unless I am visiting your site or perhaps a Warez site (which I never do).

So please, give this FG2 a proper place to strut its stuff (by at least showing that it is out) and make sure that your site is complient with Microsoft Certificates. Otherwise, this site will reflect poorly on people believing you can actually create a program that does what FG2 does. Don't you think?

Cheers,
Zuxius
Me thinks it's time to clean out your temporary internet files. Couldn't hurt to empty your temp folder and your precache folder while you are at it.
Just suggestions!
Good luck.

biomage
April 28th, 2007, 17:30
I agree. I was surprised that there was not a lot of fanfare with its release.

While I may have expected the website to be redesigned around FGII, I would rather the devs put their efforts into the program than an impressive website.

kalmarjan
April 28th, 2007, 20:04
Hmm..

In all honesty... What version of IE are you using? I have no problems with 6, or 7 for that matter. (That is, when I feel brave enough to use them... LOL)

As for "security certs" from MS. Dude. You're kidding, right? LOL

Firefox, all the way baby! ;)

Sandeman

Ablefish
April 28th, 2007, 20:47
Amen to that. If you're stuck on internet explorer, at least click the option that tells it to accept the certificate everytime or whatever the heck it is so you don't have to read the message.

That said - while I too would rather the devs worked on code to exclusion, I don't think a few paragraphs on the front page tootin their own horn would set them too far back. :)

greowhiste
April 29th, 2007, 00:40
I think the devs were trying to get us this precious piece of software before they worried about splashy entrances (or even user manuals). They've got their reasons, and I like it. Would be nice to see some renovations to the website, but I'm so busy playing with FGII right now I think it can wait.

Tokuriku
April 29th, 2007, 03:31
Even though the Beta is over, FGII has a few things to iron out still.
So releasing it in a way that only enthousiastic customers have easy access to it makes sense in my mind for now.
When they feel it is proper for mass selling, expect changes here.

Firefox.

Archmage
April 29th, 2007, 08:22
I am sorry guys, but the web site just isn't doing you all justice. Microsoft on my computer tells me not to trust your website without proper certificates.
Microsoft is not on your computer. Microsoft is a company. You are using their Windows XP operating system, and you are browsing the web with Internet Explorer. Microsoft does not have dominion over the internet. Their certificates mean absolutely nothing.

There is absolutely nothing on your site (that I can see) which tells the visitor that you are even selling version 2.0. Matter-of-fact, there is no telling what version you are on. Whatever that ticker on the homepage was, it just reads 000000 for me and nothing else. People should not have to do any fancy downloading just to view your site.
Downloading and installing Flash is not "fancy" or difficult by any means. If you can't do it, I suggest you take 2 minutes out of your busy life to learn a new and useful skill. It's called clicking the 'next' button until you see a 'finish' button, and then clicking that. There, by reading that sentence you have learned to install 95% of software products.

For those that know this site and follow it well, this all seems unimportant, but for those that have never been here before, this seems rather scary. Windows XP says that it is not recommended that I visit this site every time I log on. I never get this message unless I am visiting your site or perhaps a Warez site (which I never do).
Windows XP and Internet Explorer are pieces of software. They are not like people. They can not think. They are not intelligent by any stretch of the imagination. The rules by which it decides what sites are "safe" are very very simple. It will often tell you that a site is not safe when in fact there is nothing wrong with it. Do not put stock in Windows' warning messages.

Cheers,
Zuxius

I agree that the site could use an update. At the very least, updated feature information for FG2 outside the forum, and a new screenshot on the front page to reflect the new software. However, I don't think anyone will really judge the program based on whether the site supplies an MS certificate or not.

Sir Bayard
April 29th, 2007, 18:46
Voila, there's now a big FGII icture on the main page. lol

Griogre
April 29th, 2007, 23:57
LOL I thought of this post too when I saw the new art on the main page. :)

Ricboy
April 30th, 2007, 03:25
LOL same for me... When I saw the new picture I also has a thought for this post

Zuxius
May 3rd, 2007, 15:27
I am just the guy representing the norm, and for all intense purposes....your advice to fix things would not work on a massive scale if everyone had to do as you ask. I never get this kind of feedback from any website I have visited other than this one. It is something in the code that the website builders used. Microsoft Windows XP doesn't like the site, at least IE7 doesn't. When I used IE6 (which I prefer), it did the same thing..so there you have it. It is a coding thing, and should be resolved so they can sell more of their product. As it stands, I am being told by IE that this site is unsafe. Sure I can fix it internally on my end, but what should be addressed is that no one should have to do that, period.

Cheers,
Zuxius

Dupre
May 3rd, 2007, 16:03
You probably get the warning if you go to 'fantasygrounds.com' instead of 'www.fantasygrounds.com' as the security certificate is for the latter. We will fix the issue in the near future.

The High Druid
May 4th, 2007, 12:55
Or you've used the https:\\ link in your favourites rather than http:\\ which is the mistake I made. I'm using XP and IE 7 and other than the glitch when I do that the site works perfectly fine with no warnings.