PDA

View Full Version : FGU Image Layer Names?

Coren
March 16th, 2020, 22:22
Hey there, just loaded up FGU and started to play with it (I know, bad backer, should have helped with testing) and liking what I'm seeing so far, but I ran across something.

Is there a way I'm not seeing to rename image layers. Like, the one with my background image is [image name].jpg, and any layers I draw on are called "painting" but the FX and LOS layers are just blank and I am not seeing a way to give these names.

If this should be elsewhere, please move it, or let me know and I'll move it/make the suggestion in the playtest forum.

Thanks.

Moon Wizard
March 16th, 2020, 22:39
No, there is not currently a way to rename the image layers. We’re planning to prioritize several features like this after first Full Release. (Including layer folders, and more).

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
March 16th, 2020, 22:42
The effects layer will be blank until you select an effect to be on the layer and it will then change to that name. So Add layer, select snow and the layer name will change to snow. Not sure about the LOS layer; I hadn't even noticed there was one. When I draw the LOS it just goes on the map layer.

Moon Wizard
March 16th, 2020, 22:47
The LoS information will go on the top layer (if it too layer is an image layer); or a new image layer is created for the LoS information (if the top layer is not an image layer).

Regards,
JPG

Reg
August 17th, 2020, 19:54
In the most recent build v4 B2020-8-13? I was able to double click on alayer name occassionally, as soon as it was created.

This stopped being possible once I'd domne anything to it

It also stopped when I had a lot of layers ofter lots of tile placement

Does the "+folder" icon actually do anything at the moment?

It might help to have 5-6 Folders rather than a few dozen tiles, or paintings with the same name.

Is there a way around this, or is it still a work in progress?

happy to wait, just want to know if I'm doing something wrong?

Zacchaeus
August 17th, 2020, 21:04
I'm not seeing any issues. The Folder+ adds a new folder; I can rename that and the layers and drag layers into it.

Reg
August 18th, 2020, 03:18
Its still happening for me.

Plus I saved last night's work and this morning the order of layers was jumbled.

On a plus, the Layer names are editable for new layers, but already made ones are still uneditable

Also now folders are accepting entries, but the order of layers changes and one layer has been dropped from the list, but still is in the image.

Very strange and rather frustrating.

This is a big map and has taken a couple of days to get right.

Each time I quit and restart the layer order changes, with some bizarre activity.

Perhaps I should post a video of the behaviour?

*update*

restarted FGU and the layers were again reordered.

I dragged the folder that I managed to create for the background tiles to the bottom of the list and it has disappeared from the list.

Some of the image is still displayed, but not in the correct layer order.

An error message slid onto the screen with a bucket load of text in it.

*2nd update*

FGU crashed. After restart, the folder is gone. a load of error messages" layer parent id is equal to layer id" have slid across the screen.

So itseems the folder with the background is gone, but the iame still displays some of the contents of that folder. lost two days of work here :cry:

Reg
August 18th, 2020, 03:46
Here's a screen shot of the map and the layer sidepanel showing the bottom of the list.

The grass, and a water effect and a pond were all in the lost folder.

Interestingly, a painting layer that I had been unable to name had not stayed in the folder, but had migrated to a random place up the layer list, so I hadn't realised it was still there. It was what had remained on the image, so my previous rematks about layer entries being missing, but image on screen were incorrect.

Reg
August 18th, 2020, 03:55
Well, it's actually worse than I thought.

When I try to go out of play mode now, to layers or paint etc, FGU crashes.

So actually lost about a week's work.

Is there a way to start up from an earlier save point?

*update*
Looking in the campaigns folder on the mac, I found an XML file "db.xml" that still has the file names for the images that were in the folder that vanished.

is there a way to edit this to resolve the hierarchical conflict?

LordEntrails
August 18th, 2020, 04:07
MOD: moved to FGU forum

LordEntrails
August 18th, 2020, 04:09
Well, it's actually worse than I thought.

When I try to go out of play mode now, to layers or paint etc, FGU crashes.

So actually lost about a week's work.

Is there a way to start up from an earlier save point?
Check your campaign folder, their will be multiple backup files of your db.xml. Make a safe copy of your campaign folder before you start. Then look at your most recent file that appears to have significant content, copy it and rename to db.xml. Then start FG. Find the one that has the most/best data.

Reg
August 18th, 2020, 04:30
Check your campaign folder, their will be multiple backup files of your db.xml. Make a safe copy of your campaign folder before you start. Then look at your most recent file that appears to have significant content, copy it and rename to db.xml. Then start FG. Find the one that has the most/best data.

Well, I gotta say, the support from the community here is impressive.

Most work was restored with that little trick

It still leaves the puzzle of why the names of layers can't be edited, why the order keeps changing and why the folder disappeared.

Happy to help solve those in coming days.

For now, I need to fix my map before Friday.

Thanks for your help with the XML file tip!:D

Another question - what does "/save" in the chat window actually save?

Zacchaeus
August 18th, 2020, 08:46
Save saves everything in your campaign. So anything you have added, the PCs, the starte of the Combat tracker and any LoS info on an image. Basically everything.

This map that you are working on how big is it (size and resolution)? Also what type of file is it.

Reg
August 18th, 2020, 09:14
Save saves everything in your campaign. So anything you have added, the PCs, the starte of the Combat tracker and any LoS info on an image. Basically everything.

This map that you are working on how big is it (size and resolution)? Also what type of file is it.

I thought that was the case. I have been keeping duplicates of the db.xml file all afternoon, just in case

Its big

Its a 5ft grid of 460x350ft
Its around 130-ish laters, made up of Shockbolt tile images and Medieval Fantasy Castle Tile pack tiles, and brushes.
The grid was set to 100x100 when I dropped the first tile

I just had a friend who is familiar with FG try and connect as a player

It failed miserably

I see this:-

and they see this with LoS set to "On":-

If I turn Off LoS they get a couple of tiles on a grey background.

They also got disconnected at there end twice

A small, predone map from Smiteworks loaded for both DM and player without issue.

I did manage to get some elements grouped into a folder or two, but there's no equivalent of photoshop's "Merge Layer" options to get all those little tiles together that I can find

I was hoping to "wow" some cynics on Friday who usually have us all play on that "other" online platform.

So its big, its got a water effect on a pond and rain on the outdoors.

Have I just made it too big?

The intersecting LoS from all the tiles is a mess - I could spend time sorting through that a bit if it would help?

Any suggestions or should I plan on using a smaller map?

Let me know if any of the xml files are needed

Zacchaeus
August 18th, 2020, 10:57
As far as I am aware all of the tiles are set to have a 100px grid - so I'm not sure what effect that will have on the occluders and everything else if you drop the grid size.

I would certainly test with a much smaller map and build it up from there. But it does sound like your map is likely to be huge - and that could take a very long time to upload.

Reg
August 18th, 2020, 14:40
I'm going to try a test and strip back some of the features and see if I can get that to behave.

The odd re-ordering of layers along with the inability to rename things is still a puzzle though.

After several hours of testing, I progressively parred back to the 17 room tiles plus connecting corridors:-

Reg
August 18th, 2020, 14:44

But it still behaves exactly the same

players cannot see the map with LoS active, and if I disable it, they only see the two stables rooms that were tiles from the same SHockbolt set.

Not sure what to try next.

Start again and save and test room-by-room to see where the limit lies?

Any other suggestions?

Reg
August 18th, 2020, 14:50
As far as I am aware all of the tiles are set to have a 100px grid - so I'm not sure what effect that will have on the occluders and everything else if you drop the grid size.

I would certainly test with a much smaller map and build it up from there. But it does sound like your map is likely to be huge - and that could take a very long time to upload.

I thought that I'd mentioned - the grid IS set to 100 by 100 per 5ft

I left it running and monitored the player and DM PC activity while doing something for 30 minutes. There was an intial spike of a few seconds of a couple of Mbps then both dropped down to single digits kbps with no change after 30 minutes - which isn't practical for play, but just wanted to see what would happen.

I'm really flummoxed

pindercarl
August 18th, 2020, 21:58
I thought that I'd mentioned - the grid IS set to 100 by 100 per 5ft

I left it running and monitored the player and DM PC activity while doing something for 30 minutes. There was an intial spike of a few seconds of a couple of Mbps then both dropped down to single digits kbps with no change after 30 minutes - which isn't practical for play, but just wanted to see what would happen.

I'm really flummoxed

The grid size should not be a factor. Can you zip the campaign with the map and attach it? Thanks.

Reg
August 19th, 2020, 01:18
Here it is.

I have included the multiple backup copies of db.xml - renamed as I edited

Interestingly, the rain effect and the folder with the water effect kept jumping from the lower levels to midway up the layers list

Hmmm...

I'm not being allowed to attach a ".zip" file

Reg
August 19th, 2020, 01:36
Ah - its too big - 14 Mb

I'll split it in two

Reg
August 19th, 2020, 02:04
It's actually now in 4 parts, hopefully for clarity.