PDA

View Full Version : patches and custom rulesets

DNH
April 28th, 2007, 14:57
With custom rulesets generally being adapted versions of the d20 ruleset as supplied with FG2, what does it mean for these custom rulesets when an update patches the d20 ruleset? Does it mean the custom ruleset is still working with "faulty code"? Does it mean that additional functionality is added to the d20 ruleset which might well be good for the custom ruleset?

Moreover, if this is the problem I think it is, how can it be resolved? I very much doubt that any ruleset developers would go through the two rulesets to see just what the differences are (if they are even visible). Which suggests that custom rulesets are left with "out-of-date" code.

Any thoughts?

Cantstanzya
April 28th, 2007, 16:14
I share your concern with this as well, which is why I'm waiting on starting my ruleset until things settle down. I was thinking of writing a C# program that would compare each file of a ruleset with what gets unpacked in the example ruleset. Some people have suggested there are tools out there that compare files or directories, but I was thinking of writing something specific to Fantasy Grounds. Something that would go into each file and extract all the nodes and compare them to the example ruleset node by node and not line by line. Does anyone know if there is anything out there that will compare xml files by the node and not line by line?

nezzir
April 28th, 2007, 16:37
I'm concerned with this as well. I should have waited, but I didn't and now I've gotten pretty far. I just wish they'd at least list the files that have been changed. A detailed change log would rock, but is probably asking a lot considering their current work load.

A list of files that have been changed would be most welcomed though.

joshuha
April 28th, 2007, 16:47
I'm concerned with this as well. I should have waited, but I didn't and now I've gotten pretty far. I just wish they'd at least list the files that have been changed. A detailed change log would rock, but is probably asking a lot considering their current work load.

A list of files that have been changed would be most welcomed though.

They do usually list the files changed in both the post on the House of Healing Forum and if you watch the updater it will list which files in the ruleset change if any.