PDA

View Full Version : Changing NPC spell modifier

Jackimus
August 17th, 2020, 07:08
Hi! So, I'm looking to give a skeleton with all its abilities some spells, unfortunately it doesn't currently have a modifier. I've tried adjusting their mental stats but no changes. I'm using rob twohy's spell extension and I've attached the image of the problem. Thanks for your help, guys!

Zacchaeus
August 17th, 2020, 09:33
Any NPC can be given the spellcasting trait - see the last video in this series for how to do that https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42440-Tutorial-Video-Series

(You said you posted a picture but you didn't - so I'm not sure what the issue is that you have specifically - but you can override the automatic calculation of the NPC's spellcasting DC and spell save).

MasterJena
August 17th, 2020, 18:57
Any NPC can be given the spellcasting trait - see the last video in this series for how to do that https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42440-Tutorial-Video-Series

(You said you posted a picture but you didn't - so I'm not sure what the issue is that you have specifically - but you can override the automatic calculation of the NPC's spellcasting DC and spell save).

Greetings, Zacchaeus.
Have you seen my post in the 5E forum?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?60929-Spellcasting-NPCs-Spell-Spell-Level-Organization

Is there any good reason why the 5E ruleset does not have the same organization and ease of editing that the PF2 ruleset delivers to spellcaster NPCs? Another very organized tab to edit the NPC's Spellcasting/Pac Magic/Innate Magic seems and plays a lot better than a kilometric sheet. I'm assuming it's for easy parsing?

Zacchaeus
August 17th, 2020, 19:11
Greetings, Zacchaeus.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?60929-Spellcasting-NPCs-Spell-Spell-Level-Organization

Is there any good reason why the 5E ruleset does not have the same organization and ease of editing that the PF2 ruleset delivers to spellcaster NPCs? Another very organized tab to edit the NPC's Spellcasting/Pac Magic/Innate Magic seems and plays a lot better than a kilometric sheet. I'm assuming it's for easy parsing?

Yes, I saw it. I imagine the reason is that the PF2 ruleset is newer than the 5e one and the author has added in stuff that he thinks make the ruleset better. Rulesets evolve over time and new people come along and do things differently - like Celestian has done with the 2e ruleset. Going back into an existing ruleset and making fundamental changes to it is a lot more work that creating something from scratch like Celestian and Trenloe are doing. Additionally Moon Wizard has been working the majority of his time over the last couple of years on Unity so the 5e ruleset probably has not had as much attention as it could have done if he wasn't doing that.

I assume that you added something to the wishlist and if so then it'll get looked at. With the two new ruleset developers on the team there is likely to be an explosion of innovation for many rulesets to come - see Hollis's character Wizard and Superteddy's Theatre of the Mind extension for evidence of that.

Edit: (Also you're the only person who I've ever seen complain about it - so there's that too).

MasterJena
August 18th, 2020, 00:04
Yes, I saw it. I imagine the reason is that the PF2 ruleset is newer than the 5e one and the author has added in stuff that he thinks make the ruleset better. Rulesets evolve over time and new people come along and do things differently - like Celestian has done with the 2e ruleset. Going back into an existing ruleset and making fundamental changes to it is a lot more work that creating something from scratch like Celestian and Trenloe are doing. Additionally Moon Wizard has been working the majority of his time over the last couple of years on Unity so the 5e ruleset probably has not had as much attention as it could have done if he wasn't doing that.

I assume that you added something to the wishlist and if so then it'll get looked at. With the two new ruleset developers on the team there is likely to be an explosion of innovation for many rulesets to come - see Hollis's character Wizard and Superteddy's Theatre of the Mind extension for evidence of that.

Edit: (Also you're the only person who I've ever seen complain about it - so there's that too).

Aye! Thanks for the reply. :D

Yes, it's on the wishlist. Don't take it as a complaint but as a suggestion for improvement. It doesn't drive me nuts or anything, but as I said, it's quite daunting at high levels.
Keep up the good work!

Kelrugem
August 18th, 2020, 04:03
Greetings, Zacchaeus.

PF2 is based on the 3.5e/PF1 code where you also have this (at least at the beginning it was based on that code somehow), that is the reason why it is easier to implement something like this because it was already supported in the subordinate ruleset :) I remember that Moon Wizard somewhere once wrote that it was not so easy to implement that in 3.5e/PF1 which may be another reason why it is not implemented in 5e :) (but someone correct me please when this is not the case (I mean the difficulty etc.))

EDIT: Oh, and now I see that I wrote already something similar in your linked thread :D