PDA

View Full Version : Token Scale

mcgarnagle
April 28th, 2007, 07:49
Hello everyone. This isn't really a problem but more of a minor nuisance. I like to use high res tokens that I scale down in FG to meet the requirements of the map. FG does a wonderful job with this but there is just one thing that really bugs me. When I move the token, it makes the token transparent, showing me where the token starts on the map, and where I am dragging it too (This is great too, by the way). But when I 'lift' the token, it reverts to it's original size, and despite it being transparent, I find it still blocks the views of the grid while I move it, making it difficult to quickly count spaces without screwing up. One way around it is to zoom in so that the lifted token fits within the grid but it can be a little annoying having to zoom in on the map just to move the token. It would be nice if the lifted token would maintain the token scale lock as well.

Here is what I mean:

https://img234.imageshack.us/img234/5638/tokenscalefr9.jpg

Like I said, not a big deal, just a minor nuisance.

nezzir
April 28th, 2007, 12:20
Not only does it snap back to original size, but you will find that it also rotates back to it original facing.

Edit:
Something else I'd like to see are "token proxies" or a definable scale inside the token bag. That is to say, the ability to assign something other than the token itself to what is displayed in the token bag. That would help for very large tokens. Let's say you had 10 tokens ranging in size from 100x100 pixels to 300x300 pixels (spell effects, giants or something). They would fill the bag quickly and make it difficult to sort and pick them up as the token box is rather small. If there was a way to assign a different bag graphic to them, it would make them easier.

Perhaps a script could be written that would accomplish this based on the tokens file name. For example:
Giant-XXX-Small_Giant.png would use Small_Giant.png as it's token bag graphic (based on the -XXX- part of the filename).

Cantstanzya
April 28th, 2007, 14:05
Let's say you had 10 tokens ranging in size from 100x100 pixels to 300x300 pixels (spell effects, giants or something).
The new feature of the DM being able to scale the token through the combat tracker means you don't need to have different size token. You can have one token and the DM can scale each one a different size.

They would fill the bag quickly and make it difficult to sort and pick them up as the token box is rather small. If there was a way to assign a different bag graphic to them, it would make them easier.The token box can now be made larger by pushing the ctrl key and grabbing the bottom right corner of the token box.

AndyPan
April 28th, 2007, 16:22
What I would like to see is an end to stacking of tokens. Even now, it seems like the max amount of tokens you can have in a single bag without them overlapping each other is about 24, much as it was in the original FG. Even with stretching the token box and using the Arrange Tokens button, you will still have tokens stacking up on top of each other. While it's great that you can move the upper level tokens off to the side in the enlarged box without snap back, it's still a bit tedious when searching for a specific token on the fly. I'm wondering if there's a way to get it so that when you expand the token box, all the tokens in a given bag end up in a single layer.

Note: I double-checked the capacity, and it looks like the max for a single layer of tokens is about 56 before I start to see overlapping.

Cantstanzya
April 28th, 2007, 16:59
What I would like to see is an end to stacking of tokens. Even now, it seems like the max amount of tokens you can have in a single bag without them overlapping each other is about 24, much as it was in the original FG. I don't understand. I resize my tokenbox an I could probably fit 100 tokens in there easily. There does seem to be a bug that on expanded token boxes they don't return back to the same position and you have to do a resort.

AndyPan
April 28th, 2007, 17:24
I decided, on a whim, to make the entire Monster Manual's monster drawings into tokens. I think I have about 200+ total tokens for monsters, sorted into three different folders or sacks, with approximately 72 tokens in each.

https://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/AndyPanRI/tokens.jpg
https://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/AndyPanRI/tokens2.jpg

The above are pics of the same folder/sack, just in varied expansions. You'll notice that the tokens are overlapping, in some cases as many as 3 and 4 deep. If you are getting 100+ tokens laid out for you in a single layer, please tell me how, because no matter how large I set the token box, I am getting the overlap.

Ricboy
April 28th, 2007, 18:05
How can a token be individually resized with the combat tracker? All I can see is the number with the grid icon that seems to grow the red shade on the map which is probably the representation of the size that the token should be but the token itself stays the same size?

Sir Bayard
April 28th, 2007, 18:13
Move your mouse curosor over the token in the combat tracker and roll the mouse wheel up or down to resize the token. Holding control while moving up will advance it in full integers (from 1 to 2, 2 to 3 etc) whereas doing itt without holding Ctrl does it in .1 increments for fine tuning.

Ricboy
April 28th, 2007, 19:30
Thanks... nice feature!

Cantstanzya
April 28th, 2007, 20:45
If you are getting 100+ tokens laid out for you in a single layer, please tell me how, because no matter how large I set the token box, I am getting the overlap.My guess is that it has to do with the size of your tokens. I know that doesn't sound right since FG resizes them, but my tokens are 50x50 so if FG scales everything to the size of the smallest token if your smallest token is 100x100 then maybe that is the standard size/scale of the tokens. I'm just guessing here, but maybe if you put 1 smaller token into the bag, that will set the standard size and scale your other tokens down. Try putting a small token in with your larger ones.

Edit: I just checked and I am getting an overlap on some of my tokens, not as noticeable as yours because I don't have a ring around them like you do and that is why I probably didn't see the overlap. It seems that the sorting of the tokens are not taking into account the extra space provided when you resize the token box. I would guess this is a bug.

Sir Bayard
May 5th, 2007, 23:48
Did this ever get resolved ot where the tokens don't stack if you resized your token box?

AndyPan
May 6th, 2007, 16:14
Still seeing the overlapping, even with the box set at its max size.

Callum
May 6th, 2007, 19:03
It would be nice if the lifted token would maintain the token scale lock as well.
Seconded! It would also be nice if there was an option for tokens dragged from the token box to resize automatically to fit the grid, like the ones dragged from the PC rings do.

richvalle
May 7th, 2007, 16:55
Seconded! It would also be nice if there was an option for tokens dragged from the token box to resize automatically to fit the grid, like the ones dragged from the PC rings do.

Yes! I'm having this issue now. Tokens dragged from the token box (50x50 for med sized) are much bigger then the ones dragged from the player portraits.

rv

kimba
June 29th, 2007, 18:44
any way to get these tokens? I would dearly love to get ahold of these withough having to make them myself

I decided, on a whim, to make the entire Monster Manual's monster drawings into tokens. I think I have about 200+ total tokens for monsters, sorted into three different folders or sacks, with approximately 72 tokens in each.

https://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/AndyPanRI/tokens.jpg
https://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/AndyPanRI/tokens2.jpg

The above are pics of the same folder/sack, just in varied expansions. You'll notice that the tokens are overlapping, in some cases as many as 3 and 4 deep. If you are getting 100+ tokens laid out for you in a single layer, please tell me how, because no matter how large I set the token box, I am getting the overlap.

scytale2
August 5th, 2007, 12:08
Great thread - solved my token-sizing issues. Many thanks and bump.

andro1d
August 8th, 2007, 18:40
Is there a manual that goes over these little features (like holding down Ctrl and dragging corner of token window to resize it) anywhere in these forums or on this site?
Regards,
Andy