PDA

View Full Version : Beginning Update.....Forever?

phloog
August 15th, 2020, 15:42
This is a problem as I'm set to start a game at noon. When I click "Check for Updates" (which is highlighted in red), it launches the updater, says "Beginning Update" then NEVER does anything. I'm not sure if that means my players will have trouble connecting or not. Not a happy camper...already the "features" of the interface have two of my players ready to quit unless I switch VTT...my defense of FG gets harder when my VERY rare game has to be canceled or postponed because of technical glitches.

phloog
August 15th, 2020, 15:43
NOTE: If you CANCEL it then immediately says "Validating Packages" and "Update Complete" - - if that means that there was not actually an update then this is yet another horrible interface design...TELL me there's no update. The version number appears as 4.0.0 (2020-06-25)

phloog
August 15th, 2020, 15:50
I THINK I found the answer. Going into FG WITHOUT updating, ALL of my content is gone. I had changed my password. So is that on me? Nope...AT NO TIME DID FG TELL ME it failed to login. Just "Update?" - and frozen.

Question: IF this was indeed the problem...do you not think it would be useful for the updater engineer to clearly indicate that it wasn't able to log in? If this was NOT the issue...any ideas?

I am literally BEGGING you.. PLEASE hire someone with experience in interface design. I think you guys are great, I KNOW you are working hard, and I know you love the hobby and are looking out for your customers. But....

I will even be willing to PAY AGAIN for a version of FG that doesn't just seem thrown together by people who legitimately love the hobby, and legitimately don't know how to design a UI.

Trenloe
August 15th, 2020, 15:56
All of the above aside. The strong recommendation is not to run an update close to starting a game. Just mentioning that for anyone reading this...

phloog
August 15th, 2020, 15:58
That IS actually great advice...EXCEPT....most of my players also DM (lots of Ultimate licenses for FG, but lots of grumpy in the ranks). So when I DON'T update, it becomes very likely that I'll be out of sync with one of the other players/GMs. My understanding of this was that it would cause issues. Not saying the advice is bad...it's AWESOME...but our situation is different (but not sure it's UNIQUE).

Trenloe
August 15th, 2020, 16:03
You don't need to update all the time. The main reason you definitely want to update is if you're the GM and you know there's a fix that you want to apply. Or if you're running on a much older version of the client and need to catch up. If you update fairly regularly, the chances of doing an update breaking something is probably higher (especially if you're the GM and you use some community extensions) than not doing an update.

If you're the GM, the recommendation is update well before your game starts and test any custom extension functionality you're using ahead of the game.

Zacchaeus
August 15th, 2020, 18:33
If the updater isn't able to update then it is likely that something on your system is preventing FG from operating properly. The main culprits would normally be your ant-virus or if your ISP is one of these then advanced security options.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53461-Comcast-XFinity-Cox-and-Shaw-Communications-Users-Important

LordEntrails
August 15th, 2020, 23:46
Curious is this is FGC or FGU? I would think it would be easy enough to test if it was a changed password. And I agree that FG (C or U) should give an error message if the password is wrong. Though I admit I don't know if it already does that or not, but would be willing to test if that's what you think the actual issue was.

AusHope
August 18th, 2020, 15:42
I had a similar problem, I fixed it with the help of the FGC. The .mod file after the file the updater got stuck on was corrupt. It wouldn't write over it so it sayed on the one before, updating forever, even when I did finish the update, it didn't actually work. To fix it I simply deleted the next Mod file in the list from my mod folder and everything updated and worked perfectly from that point on.

phloog
August 22nd, 2020, 15:30
sorry for the delayed response - -one of the reasons tech glitches annoy me so much as there are literally around 4-5 times per month I can even look at fun things. I am on Unity, and it's clear the password issue was the problem. So my bug request I guess is now a feature request...when the password mismatch occurs, notify the user.