PDA

View Full Version : Combat Tracker with too many creatures - looking for tips

BronzeDodger
August 14th, 2020, 16:04
Ran a combat last night and did not think of how cluttered things would be and got myself way lost just trying to find active units. PCs + animal companions + some friendly NPCs listed before adding a big collection of opponents - and then once INIT fires they are randomly sorted.

I'm using the "Has Initiative Indicator" extension which is perfect when it's that NPC's turn (to spot the marker on the map) but the harder part occurs when a PC lands an attack on an NPC and there is something I need to track (in this case they get a 'death throes' attack after being dropped to 0hp) finding the correct token took me ages.

Wondering if there are an tricks people use when juggling a combat tracker that scrolls off the screen. Thinking changing the UI sizing would make more rows visible - but then of course the text can get too tiny to read. Does anyone go counter-intuitive and instead of adding "Orc" to an encounter, and then changing the number to "12" - adding 1, tweaking the name (Orc with Feather Boa), and doing that one-by-one so that you have unique names instead of just "Orc 1, Orc 2, Orc 3") making them easier to spot?

So more of a "how do you use it?" than a FG tech question.

Thanks in advance

Zacchaeus
August 14th, 2020, 16:32
This extension adds random 'descriptions' to NPCs https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31699-Alternative-to-NPC-numbering-in-combat-tracker which might help you.

Also if I ever do need to use an NPC for something where the NPC reacts to something the player does I just use the first one on the CT that's the same as the one being hit or whatever. It doesn't usually need to be the exact one that's the target. Usually any NPC will do that has the same stat block.

BronzeDodger
August 14th, 2020, 16:37
Lovely! One more reason to dive into the XML to add hilarity to the list of options - thanks Zacchaeus this is a really handy way to do it

GavinRuneblade
August 14th, 2020, 18:22
My tips: even if running theatre of the mind, I put everyone onto a blank grid. Then the arrows from targetting come in handy. And I can zoom in and flip the initiative manually twice (once away and once back) and the screen will autocenter on the active npc. Also, use existing or makeup your own rules for mobs of 5 or more attacking with 1 roll. It will save you a TON of time and make your fights focus on the players more so they have more fun. DMG has sample guidelines. What I do is check the number needed to hit make it a % and that number hit automatically, I only roll damage. Very fast, moving on to the next PC or important NPC, no one cares about the mooks.

Varatta
August 17th, 2020, 21:26
Here are a few tricks I have started using:
1) scale the UI if needed, not ideal.
2) Use the combat tracker for targeting if finding the tokens sucks too much time.
3) grouping initiative - with the exception of feature baddies, I have started grouping my combat in large engagements. PCs roll their initiative, I assign baddies after them, I assign ally NPC last. Any feature baddies (leader of the red gang, etc) I roll. It just keeps it simpler and swifter.
4) Break combat into “waves”
5) use a variation of MOB rules (DMG 250) for hoards of baddie minions and friendly NPCs/animal companions, etc. - at very least for attacks.

lostsanityreturned
August 21st, 2020, 00:49
For lots of creatures of the same type, use targeting so you aren't dragging every attack. This will let you spam out attacks.

Use shift to roll crit damages.

I found it essential to opperating fast when running 100 combatant fights where there were npcs on both sides.

pablomaz
August 24th, 2020, 01:06
I don't know if it's possible, but I'd love to see Savage Worlds CT groups implemented for this ruleset. Man, all rulesets should have that. It's awesome.

That's what I'm talking about:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38006&d=1595612685