PDA

View Full Version : Two more bug like things I see in FGU 5E

SilentRuin
August 12th, 2020, 23:19
I had to add the following print to my extension because I found you can create a custom NPC with a token - which won't have the token in the npc.* entry...

DB token was blank. If this was custom NPC you created directly in custom NPC then you may have to drop it in combat tracker then deleted it in custom NPC and drop it back in from combat tracker to get the token defined. Not a problem when creating a custom NPC from a reference (even CT reference).

Pretty much says what the issue is. If you create a custom token without a reference (raw edit one in) then the "token" DB entry will not be there. Even though the token shows up. Yeah, confusing. However, if I drop it in CT then delete it in my NPC custom group - then drop the CT version back in my custom group - it's there. Yet I created the CT FROM that original custom NPC. Very confusing.

The other issue was when editing in custom NPC field for damage vulnerabilities. The field is to big and overlaps the actual text you put in there when it appears on the sheet. You have t leave a few spaces in front to get it to appear correctly.

Pretty much seems if no source_link then its not going to put the token in the DB entry - that's a guess.

Moon Wizard
August 13th, 2020, 04:33
I'm not following. Can you break down into simple steps for me assuming a brand new 5E campaign and the default letter tokens?

Regards,
JPG

SilentRuin
August 13th, 2020, 13:57
I'm not following. Can you break down into simple steps for me assuming a brand new 5E campaign and the default letter tokens?

Regards,
JPG

Sent you a zipped video to support-files - it will match what I literally described.

SilentRuin
August 14th, 2020, 02:14

Regards,
JPG

After trying to figure out why another one was coming up blank on the token - but could bring up the sheet and SEE the token - I found that the only place an image exists outside of the npc.* record was in an image <layers> record. Do I really have to search the npc.*.token then if I don't find it try and do a complete cycle of image.*.image.layers and look in each layer for a match on my name? And I see a lot of random things in there that are not all names also. Seems rather byzantine to go about getting a token which should be right there with the npc.* data - and is - when you actually drop a link to create it.

SilentRuin
August 16th, 2020, 00:23

Regards,
JPG

Did you receive the video?

Moon Wizard
August 27th, 2020, 18:47
I've tried watching the video a couple times; and I still have no idea what the issue is. Other than your mouse circling the fact that the Damage Vulnerabilities label needs a little more room; the rest all appeared to be working as expected.

Regards,
JPG

SilentRuin
August 27th, 2020, 19:22
I've tried watching the video a couple times; and I still have no idea what the issue is. Other than your mouse circling the fact that the Damage Vulnerabilities label needs a little more room; the rest all appeared to be working as expected.

Regards,
JPG

Pretty much showing what I said here and literally showed you step by step in the video - was a lot more than just waving a mouse over something:

After trying to figure out why another one was coming up blank on the token - but could bring up the sheet and SEE the token - I found that the only place an image exists outside of the npc.* record was in an image <layers> record. Do I really have to search the npc.*.token then if I don't find it try and do a complete cycle of image.*.image.layers and look in each layer for a match on my name? And I see a lot of random things in there that are not all names also. Seems rather byzantine to go about getting a token which should be right there with the npc.* data - and is - when you actually drop a link to create it.

It's very easy to duplicate. And the text with the video described it all in that mail.

1) As shown in video - create a custom NPC. The example shows you a chair.
2) It also shows you the damage vulnerabilities overlap bug as a bonus.
3) It literally shows you the edited section of the NPC chair in db.xml where the token tag <token> is missing - per text description and video. Shows it. Missing.
4) I described how I could only find that token in some image.*.image.layers area of db.xml. I specifically stated was this going to be something we all have to go look up and it was rather a byzantine confusing inconsistent process if so.
5) I then literally describe and show in video what I had to do to GET the <token> tag into the NPC.

This whole reply is just a repetition of what I wrote in the mail that accompanied the video and what I've written in this thread.

I honestly don't know how I can tell you in any more detail what the issue is. The <token> tag is not there in all cases of custom NPC creation. It's a problem if your going to look for it. Again - just repeating what I've said and shown already. I really don't know how to describe it in any other way than in the way (text and video) I've already done.

Moon Wizard
August 27th, 2020, 23:38
I'm literally bouncing among multiple sites and multiple projects attempting to cover any reports for FGC and FGU. So, concise/minimal steps are the key to letting me look at these quickly. Any extraneous information actually slows down the investigation process.

Example: Following these steps, I can verify that the name/token data is assigned correctly. (See the video.)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fzqQ8yXKACWNHMxvj5rIg7w_Sl6ku-2e/view?usp=sharing

1. Create new NPC
2. Give it a name and a token (such as letter token)
3. /save (to trigger database save to disk)
4. Review XML data in campaign to verify name/token data is assigned.

Regards,
JPG

SilentRuin
August 28th, 2020, 00:19
I'm literally bouncing among multiple sites and multiple projects attempting to cover any reports for FGC and FGU. So, concise/minimal steps are the key to letting me look at these quickly. Any extraneous information actually slows down the investigation process.

Example: Following these steps, I can verify that the name/token data is assigned correctly. (See the video.)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fzqQ8yXKACWNHMxvj5rIg7w_Sl6ku-2e/view?usp=sharing

1. Create new NPC
2. Give it a name and a token (such as letter token)
3. /save (to trigger database save to disk)
4. Review XML data in campaign to verify name/token data is assigned.

Regards,
JPG

I have about two months experience and rarely have a clue as what is causing an issue - having me deep dive into these problems - solve what is happening - make videos of them with loads of details...

I get what you want and why. But your the second person this week who has told me essentially “your not doing enough” after I gave over the top amount of details.

Yeah I wish everything was simplified down to a handy quick easy read - but most times I’m flying around in a panic trying to solve my own problems.

I give what I have time to give.

LordEntrails
August 28th, 2020, 01:06
SR, if you would like me to put some time in and try to replicate and then simplify this for MW, let me know. I think I would need the video and text you sent MW.

SilentRuin
August 28th, 2020, 01:28
SR, if you would like me to put some time in and try to replicate and then simplify this for MW, let me know. I think I would need the video and text you sent MW.

The video is pretty much just walking through exactly what I said in the first post here and several posts after. I just don't think anyone has actually tried it yet.

1) Create a custom NPC manually ( that is all the video is doing - going into an NPC group - even uncategorized and hitting the green plus sign and start keying in whatever you want - my example was a chair).
2) After done - edit the db.xml - look at the npc.* entry you just created - you won't find a <token> entry - even though you see it right there on your sheet.

That's pretty much the first part of the video. The text in here describes my hunt and how I finally found the token "I assume" in image.*.image.layers area of db.xml. It's somewhere up above.

The second part of the video simply shows how I get the <token> entry into the npc.* db.xml entry by dropping it in combat tracker, deleting the custom NPC entry I just dropped, and replacing it with the combat tracker entry by dropping it back in the NPC group (uncategorized if you like) then showing how the <token> entry is now under the npc.* entry.

Literally the first post of this thread says how what happens if only you actually try to do it. The video was over the top to make absolutely sure it was clear.

But if you skip all the text - just try and watch video without reading this thread or the mail that came with it - sure - your not going to know what is going on.

Honestly, I'm probably not in the best mood to go into this more as this is the second time I've done a deep dive, solved what the issue I was having was - then explained in detail - and told I did not give enough information because people were skimming and wanted an A-B-C which I thought I'd already provided. Hell, the last guy pretty much quoted my reply on how to duplicate it and told me I wasn't telling him as he closed the thread. Which I'm fine with - I was done there.

I'm not angry or anything - but I am annoyed.

I feel like I'm doing a lot to point out the issues and provide context including how I found it and any theories i have on what might have caused it. I'm simply not being heard because people are to busy to look at what I've told them.

I think for now I'm taking a break from figuring out hard to figure issues in a short amount of time. Not everything can be condensed into an easily digestible morsel - or understood just at a glance - sometimes you have actually see the context to understand the problem.

But having what I've actually provided paraphrased back at me twice now - has me in a mood. This too shall pass :)

Moon Wizard
August 28th, 2020, 02:30
Are you sure that the database is saving before you are looking at the database file? (It auto-saves every 5 minutes; and after using the /save chat command)

Regards,
JPG

SilentRuin
August 28th, 2020, 02:43
Are you sure that the database is saving before you are looking at the database file? (It auto-saves every 5 minutes; and after using the /save chat command)

Regards,
JPG

Have you tried the simple test of creating a manual NPC? If you did and it worked (<token> tag was in npc.* entry) then something else must be going on since when I did this originally I found it because my Polymorphism extension which uses that token field could not find it for an NPC every once in a while. I eventually deduced it was the ones I manually created.

Then duplicated it and made the video and this thread. As the video shows, you can see the "saved" chat message behind the notepad++ of the db.xml showing you it was not there.

Moon Wizard
August 28th, 2020, 03:29
Yes, I did.

Exact steps I followed:
* (Text Editor) Open db.xml file
* (Text Editor) Verify that "Chair" not in db.xml file
* Open campaign in FGU
* Go to NPCs
* Add NPC
* Enter "Chair" as name with token as letter C
* /save
* (Text Editor) Verify that Chair NPC is now in db.xml with correct name and token values
* Create copy of "Chair" by dragging link in NPCs list back into NPCs list, creating "Chair (Copy)"
* Open "Chair (Copy)" to verify name and token in place
* /save
* (Text Editor) Verify that Chair and Chair (Copy) NPCs are both in db.xml with correct name and token values

I double-checked twice just to be sure.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 28th, 2020, 03:30
You might try without all the extensions running to see if one of those is causing the issue. I noticed in your video that you are running several custom extensions not provided by us.

Regards,
JPG

SilentRuin
August 28th, 2020, 04:01
You might try without all the extensions running to see if one of those is causing the issue. I noticed in your video that you are running several custom extensions not provided by us.

Regards,
JPG

Yeah you are 100% correct.

I thought I'd learned by now not to run these tests without disabling all the extensions first but I'm evidently an idiot still.

I just tried it with no extensions in a brand new campaign - worked.

Then I tried it in my test campaign I used with video - failed.

Then turned off Death Indicator extension - worked.

Apologies for my stupidity and wasting your time.

I am beginning to really regret modifying that extension for use in FGU - it's been just one issue after another - and not the simple "there it is" kind of thing. I touched a small bit of that code and now its like some kind of albatross around my neck breaking mysterious token things every time I turn around.

This is why I do only my own from scratch stuff now - I understand it and can control it. Trying to debug things and fix them that I didn't even write is a major pain.

But looks like I'm in for some pain tomorrow.

And public apologies for doing something so stupid as forgetting to turn off the extensions during testing. I'm telling others to always do that with mine - but forget doing it myself.

Publicly declaring myself an idiot :(

But like most threads - even in failure it gives me something to start with in finding this bug in that stupid community project I'm beginning to deeply regret grabbing the reins on.