PDA

View Full Version : RPG Suite

bsycamore
August 10th, 2020, 11:16
Hi

Just tinkering with FGU and Traveller.

Couple of thoughts :-)

Any plans to support (if not already done - point me in right direction) to support importing characters from RPG Suite.?

Also, is it possible to adjust column widths or are they set? On the Skills tabe for example of the PC sheet, it cuts of some of the Characteristic title heading. Not a big issue, just asking.

Excellent work by the way.

Cheers

Bryan

MadBeardMan
August 10th, 2020, 12:27
Hi

Just tinkering with FGU and Traveller.

Couple of thoughts :-)

Any plans to support (if not already done - point me in right direction) to support importing characters from RPG Suite.?

Also, is it possible to adjust column widths or are they set? On the Skills tabe for example of the PC sheet, it cuts of some of the Characteristic title heading. Not a big issue, just asking.

Excellent work by the way.

Cheers

Bryan

Hey Bryan,

No plans to support as I don't have an account with RPG Suite, though if they export characters, you could add them here and I can look at how they're built for you.

It's not possible to adjust the columns, it's to do with the scaling of the fonts inside FGU. I can address this for you if you could give me all the areas that are issues.

Cheers,
MBM

bsycamore
August 10th, 2020, 13:33
Couple of screenshots below. I've circled bits in Red. Not major issues, just text either missing or overlapping.

PC's

NPC's

Worlds - Trade Tab

Spacecraft

MadBeardMan
August 10th, 2020, 14:01
Awesome, thanks!

I've fired off an email to RPG Suite asking about their export features.

Cheers,
MBM

bsycamore
August 10th, 2020, 14:05
I've sent you the info on FB.

bsycamore
August 10th, 2020, 14:06
Its a JSON file.

adzling
August 10th, 2020, 16:00
i am also seeing similar text clipping on my FGU instance.

especially on the spacecraft sheet

esmdev
August 10th, 2020, 17:26
RPGsuite has the disadvantage of not following the actual rules and just doing their own thing when they want too.

For instance, they don't limit the maximum attribute or skill ratings, and when asked about this they just said they figured they'd not worry about it because some people might want it that way. If I were them I'd have set it up as an optional flag to void that rule but as a licensed product they should be conforming to the rules and not just blowing them off because it's hard. Characters with 18 and 21 characteristics shouldn't be a potential thing when following the rules.

MadBeardMan
August 10th, 2020, 17:41
i am also seeing similar text clipping on my FGU instance.

especially on the spacecraft sheet

Yea, FGU has some scaling issues. I do try and help, but check 1.1.4 as I've reduced the fonts just a tiny amount.

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
August 10th, 2020, 17:43
RPGsuite has the disadvantage of not following the actual rules and just doing their own thing when they want too.

For instance, they don't limit the maximum attribute or skill ratings, and when asked about this they just said they figured they'd not worry about it because some people might want it that way. If I were them I'd have set it up as an optional flag to void that rule but as a licensed product they should be conforming to the rules and not just blowing them off because it's hard. Characters with 18 and 21 characteristics shouldn't be a potential thing when following the rules.

Hi Chap,

Remember Traveller Companion allows you to go beyond 21-23. I'm going to put a flag into the ruleset to only allow certain things if you have got the module enabled/setting set.

Cheers,
MBM

adzling
August 10th, 2020, 17:58
we also use RPGsuite for chargen

esmdev
August 10th, 2020, 18:05
Hi Chap,

Remember Traveller Companion allows you to go beyond 21-23. I'm going to put a flag into the ruleset to only allow certain things if you have got the module enabled/setting set.

Cheers,
MBM

They aren't using the companion (at least not as a few months ago) and it has been a consistent problem since it was initially released. It works well enough but has the potential to output non-compliant characters which can be a problem depending on the referee. Which is why I strongly feel their house rules should be optionals and the core software should comply to the published rules... like you do. :)

adzling
August 10th, 2020, 18:07
esmdev are you aware of any other RPGsuite non-conformity beyond uncapped attributes?
thanks!

esmdev
August 10th, 2020, 18:25
esmdev are you aware of any other RPGsuite non-conformity beyond uncapped attributes?
thanks!

I remember there were things that I reported as bugs but don't off hand remember what they were, was years ago. I bought it when it was first released. I pretty much stopped using it when they told me they didn't feel like restricting stats and skills to the rulebook limit were something they felt was important. I dropped into it a couple months back and it is just filled with ads which is annoying so I removed it again.

I don't want to knock it because I know a lot of people like it, but the ability score and skill limits being ignored bothered me enough to not use it personally.

MadBeardMan
August 11th, 2020, 20:34
I remember there were things that I reported as bugs but don't off hand remember what they were, was years ago. I bought it when it was first released. I pretty much stopped using it when they told me they didn't feel like restricting stats and skills to the rulebook limit were something they felt was important. I dropped into it a couple months back and it is just filled with ads which is annoying so I removed it again.

I don't want to knock it because I know a lot of people like it, but the ability score and skill limits being ignored bothered me enough to not use it personally.

Yea, each to their own about these things, if you want to use it that's fine.

I'll write a parser to convert their JSON to XML for import into FG, it's a slow project because I think more people will welcome the Spacecraft CT first, but it won't be inside FG, it'll be like the Sector/SubSector/System/World tool that I did. So I'm going to pick up a domain and publish the system tool and the RPGSuite Import tool, plus other tools I may write. I'll do that in autumn/fall because don't want to stop what I'm working on.

Cheers,
MBM

MoNeart
August 25th, 2020, 02:26
That would be stellar! :)

BangsNaughtyBits
September 6th, 2022, 19:38
Did anything ever happen with this?

MoNeart
September 6th, 2022, 19:40
Would pay good money for a tool like that!

BangsNaughtyBits
September 6th, 2022, 20:11
... or at least US dollars.

esmdev
September 6th, 2022, 21:57
No. It was around that time when Mongoose started pumping out books like crazy and MBM made a go and trying to keep up with his band of merry people, but as you can see Mongoose is still out producing them. I believe that one project on the drawing board is an internal character generator, when/if that happens will reduce need for external generators.

MoNeart
September 6th, 2022, 22:36
... or at least US dollars.

haha!