PDA

View Full Version : What do people do to prevent button bashing?

SilentRuin
August 9th, 2020, 22:08
Sometimes people do dumb things like bash a button multiple times which causes multiple things to happen over and over which can lead to bad things happening.

What is the general approach in FGU to guard against multiple button hits?

I've debated disabling the button while working - adding one of my dreaded true/false flags to say its busy - but I've been burned by outside forces crapping out in lua and leaving these things set because the function never completed.

So, what do others here do in xml/lua code on this button bashing prevention?

LordEntrails
August 9th, 2020, 22:23
I'm not aware of anyone ever doing anything about it programmatically. Sounds like it's likely a user education thing, or a user attitude. Like most of those things, do you want to handle it with code, or a personal conversation?

SilentRuin
August 9th, 2020, 22:47
I'm not aware of anyone ever doing anything about it programmatically. Sounds like it's likely a user education thing, or a user attitude. Like most of those things, do you want to handle it with code, or a personal conversation?

So be it then, I shall let the chips fall where they may. Or as an older statement said it...

Alea iacta est.

damned
August 9th, 2020, 23:50
Lord Entrails often gives the advice to new GMs - during session 0 let the players roll as many dice as they want, push as many buttons as make them happy etc.
Let them get it out of their system and then tell them the game has started now - please dont roll dice or spin your tokens or move other peoples tokens etc.4

LordEntrails
August 10th, 2020, 03:11
Yes. And do understand I'm not really a dev. So my opinions are certainly colored by my experience.

As Damned says, I like to give new players a chance to play with the system. Like when my current group moved to FGU, I had a couple of times I had FGU up and running where the players could log in and play. They had tokens on a map with LOS, NPCs they could move around and find, and all that. I do something similar during session 0, let the players play with the UI and get it out of their system :)

SilentRuin
August 10th, 2020, 06:44
Yes. And do understand I'm not really a dev. So my opinions are certainly colored by my experience.

As Damned says, I like to give new players a chance to play with the system. Like when my current group moved to FGU, I had a couple of times I had FGU up and running where the players could log in and play. They had tokens on a map with LOS, NPCs they could move around and find, and all that. I do something similar during session 0, let the players play with the UI and get it out of their system :)

Well I decided to to at least make this extension I'm working on limited to when it's their turn (or they are the host). As I could see them driving the GM nuts without any control over its active use. No turn - no messing with the map/CT/NPCs/PCs :)

damned
August 10th, 2020, 07:51
What does the extension do?
I wrote Express Yourself recently and it allows you to use Emojis and other Scene Setting graphics in chat.
You can allow players to use them or not and if you allow players to use them you can set a specific number and once a player uses her allotment up she just gets a polite message that has used them up and can ask the GM for more.

SilentRuin
August 10th, 2020, 17:09
What does the extension do?
I wrote Express Yourself recently and it allows you to use Emojis and other Scene Setting graphics in chat.
You can allow players to use them or not and if you allow players to use them you can set a specific number and once a player uses her allotment up she just gets a polite message that has used them up and can ask the GM for more.

I'll probably put it out there in the next week so will keep it under wraps for now. Though i'm sure the questions I've asked over that period could lead one to guess. Point is its been 6 weeks and about 350 hours of work to get this into the shape it is now - and I'm probably going to get it packaged this week after my tester beats at it a bit more.

If you'd like to arrange a login to test it out also - let me know ;) Gist is I like to make extensions on aspects of D&D 5E that have annoyed me in FGU. Think of the worst 6 related spell/powers for PC's and NPCs that involve the map/combat tracker/character sheets/NPC sheets and convoluted rules that are difficult to implement - and that is what I'm tackling. And I don't mean cosmetic tackling - I mean making the players and DM life simple allowing these aspects of the game to be implement and fully adhering the RAW rules on them. All of them. I may not fully resolve one of them but I've got the simple workflow to do it anyway.

Point is - I'll be able to use these freely without worry in the future as I as the DM will have to do practically nothing - same for the players.

As a pure side bonus it will finally support dropping the NPC CT link over the player icon in the upper left on the host machine to allow the NPC sheet to be used by the player - including end turn and targeting. You have no idea how having to do that for players annoyed me.

bmos
August 20th, 2020, 11:27
Any update? Pretty excited to see what you've made.
CoreRPG hopefully?

SilentRuin
August 20th, 2020, 12:32
Any update? Pretty excited to see what you've made.
CoreRPG hopefully?

Sadly not, I pretty much design stuff I want for my use and that is FGU 5E. As it is paid I don’t think I can say more than that outside of the new paid for forums. But super long detailed description and video will satisfy any curiosity on it without having to spend anything and I’ll be happy to discuss any technical aspects in the paid for forums.

LordEntrails
August 20th, 2020, 17:15
Sadly not, I pretty much design stuff I want for my use and that is FGU 5E. As it is paid I don’t think I can say more than that outside of the new paid for forums. But super long detailed description and video will satisfy any curiosity on it without having to spend anything and I’ll be happy to discuss any technical aspects in the paid for forums.
I believe it's just that in general we want a separation of the extension threads themselves. And though we generally do suggest most discussions about a specific extension be in the extension thread, I would not worry about bringing up aspects of a paid extension outside of the paid sub-forums. In short, we don't want people to feel they can't discuss any topic when it comes up in a related discussion :)

EDIT: If you already have a specific thread extension discussion about this, you could certainly link to it.

SilentRuin
August 20th, 2020, 17:22
I believe it's just that in general we want a separation of the extension threads themselves. And though we generally do suggest most discussions about a specific extension be in the extension thread, I would not worry about bringing up aspects of a paid extension outside of the paid sub-forums. In short, we don't want people to feel they can't discuss any topic when it comes up in a related discussion :)

EDIT: If you already have a specific thread extension discussion about this, you could certainly link to it.

Just feel "uncomfortable" about doing it. Personal preference - but the lengthy description is in DMsG (in my signature) with the video - and a shorter brief description with same video is here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61009-Polymorphism-Extension-(-ext-file)-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-5E-ruleset) in the forums. Absolutely NOT trying to advertise it other than in my signature and the forum post and has lots of details I'm perfectly willing to discuss on how I did what I did if anyone is interested. In that post to keep it central. Odds are this is too niche, expensive, and risky (beta) to sell much but I've no problems in discussing how I made things work. In that post preferably :)