PDA

View Full Version : Two instances of Fantasy Grounds Unity on Windows 10

Benny
August 8th, 2020, 20:09
I am attempting to open a second instance of FGU to run one as a GM host and the second as a player to test out combat scenarios, etc.

When I try to launch a second instance of FGU in Win10 the FGUUpdaterEngine reads "We have detected that FG is currently running. To avoid errors in the update process, please close FG."

Anyone have a work around for this? Thanks.

Zacchaeus
August 8th, 2020, 20:13
Once you have started the first instance (which should be set as a LAN game) right click over the Unity icon on the task bar and select Fantasy Grounds in order to start the second one. And join the first using 'localhost' in the join by information.

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2020, 20:17
Mr. Z's solution works.

Or, ...

Sounds like your shortcut is pointing to the updater, if instead it points to FantasyGrounds.exe then you can start a second instance. You just can't run the updater when you are running another instance (FGC or FGU).

Benny
August 9th, 2020, 09:41
Ahh yes, somehow I managed to make the updater my shortcut. I’ll fix that and report back...

Benny
August 10th, 2020, 12:32
Alright - Once I got my launcher set to the .exe instead of the updater it was a non-issue. I wonder how that even happened in the first place...anyhow, thanks!

Thorgen
June 5th, 2022, 15:08
Ok looks like I am reviving an old thread, but I intend to stream a campaign on Twitch, I would like to stream the players view, not the DM view. I had considered running 1 instance of FGU as DM allowing my players to connect to the campaign (they will be doing so via internet, as this is not a local game). Opening a second instance as a player and using this as the source that I will be streaming. So I am open to suggestions on how to best do this. If there is another thread here that discusses how others may be handling streaming FGU I don't mind be pointed in that direction. As always, Thanks.

Zacchaeus
June 5th, 2022, 16:07
This is an old thread as you say.

You can run two instances on the same computer. Once you start the first instance right click on the FGU icon on the task bar and select Fantasy Grounds to start the second instance. To join use either localhost in the join by IP address box, if the first instance is a LAN game; or type in your username into the Join by DM box if your first instance is a Cloud game and then click start.

You can have the second instance on a second screen so that you can stream that.

Thorgen
June 5th, 2022, 16:25

You can run two instances on the same computer. Once you start the first instance right click on the FGU icon on the task bar and select Fantasy Grounds to start the second instance. To join use either localhost in the join by IP address box, if the first instance is a LAN game; or type in your username into the Join by DM box if your first instance is a Cloud game and then click start.

You can have the second instance on a second screen so that you can stream that.

Thanks for the quick reply :) I was hoping it was really that simple.

Battlewear
June 17th, 2022, 20:53

This doesnt work for me. When I right click on the FGU icon on the task bar I just get "close window"

Zacchaeus
June 17th, 2022, 21:11
This doesnt work for me. When I right click on the FGU icon on the task bar I just get "close window"

Make sure that the first instance is running a fully loaded campaign before doing the right click. I can't offer you any more unfortunately since I don't know what intricacies there could be in your windows set up.

Battlewear
June 17th, 2022, 21:26
Make sure that the first instance is running a fully loaded campaign before doing the right click. I can't offer you any more unfortunately since I don't know what intricacies there could be in your windows set up.

Yea it was fully loaded..
Do you know if it makes a difference if its a cloud game or LAN? I see in the early comment it talked about LAN.

Zacchaeus
June 17th, 2022, 21:40
No, it makes no difference.

One thing how are you starting the first instance? If it's via Steam that might be the reason (emphasis on the might). Try starting the first instance directly from your installation folder.

Trenloe
June 17th, 2022, 23:01
What operating system are you running?

Lo Zeno
June 18th, 2022, 18:42

Don't do it from the task bar, if you're using Windows 11.
Either open it from the Start menu, or double click on the Desktop icon again.

Moon Wizard
June 18th, 2022, 19:11
I haven't had any problem opening from task bar on Windows 11; but I'm launching from direct install, not Steam.

Regards,
JPG

Lo Zeno
June 18th, 2022, 19:17
I haven't had any problem opening from task bar on Windows 11; but I'm launching from direct install, not Steam.

Regards,
JPG

It doesn't happen in all instances of Windows 11: I have 3 Windows 11 machines in my home, we (as a family) use all three to play on FGU with relatives abroad, and on 2 of them we have the same strange instance of having only the "close window" option when we right click on the task bar.
I have no clue why. All I know is that in some amount of Windows 11 installations I have seen the same problem as Battlewear reported.

Nylanfs
June 20th, 2022, 19:05
It's not super clear, but if you click on the name of the program it starts another instance.