PDA

View Full Version : Layer re-ordering on map issue

pdzoch
August 7th, 2020, 15:53
I do not know if anyone has experienced this, but a handful of the maps I have created will re-order the layers.

This typically happens with the background/base texture layer, which I occasionally add after I've built a detailed building or room.

When I go back to open the map later, the background layer is no longer on the bottom and is pulled forward, covering portions of the other map elements.

I'm not sure if starting with the background layer first will solve the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Reg
August 17th, 2020, 19:49
Not exactly, the same, but I added an effects layer to some water and it kept moving up the list by one or two places.

In related behaviour, re-ordering by dragging down the list would occasionally not work and have to be repeated several times.

Reg
August 20th, 2020, 13:29
I do not know if anyone has experienced this, but a handful of the maps I have created will re-order the layers.

This typically happens with the background/base texture layer, which I occasionally add after I've built a detailed building or room.

When I go back to open the map later, the background layer is no longer on the bottom and is pulled forward, covering portions of the other map elements.

I'm not sure if starting with the background layer first will solve the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Apparently its related to a bug they are now tracking down to do with folders. I removed the folders and the layer order stayed put. Hard to navigate for now, but at least things stay where I put them

pdzoch
August 27th, 2020, 00:34
I tried to solve the problem by using folders, which turned into a nightmare. As I would move the folder, it would suddenly disappear. The images would remain on the map, but the folder with the images would disappear. Then I would get crash notices about image layer ids being the same. And then have to start all over.

Moon Wizard
August 27th, 2020, 01:06
There was a new update pushed today which should address the layers disappearing.

Regards,
JPG

Reg
August 28th, 2020, 18:44
There was a new update pushed today which should address the layers disappearing.

Regards,
JPG
yay!

I'll try and rebuild the castle from the back-up I made and see how it goes and let everyone know.

Probably tomorrow or the day after.

pdzoch
August 28th, 2020, 18:48
One lesson I did learn was that you MUST start with the bottom image (or the background image) for your map. If you start with a key terrain or any other piece and latter add a background image, the first image always slips back to the bottom and behind any background image you have since added.

Reg
February 27th, 2021, 01:55
I'm again experiencing the reordering of layers in a map. Not losing stuff like last time this happened, but it messes with the effects layers.

Does this happen to others or should I check for extension conflicts first?

Jiminimonka
February 27th, 2021, 09:20
yay!

I'll try and rebuild the castle from the back-up I made and see how it goes and let everyone know.

Probably tomorrow or the day after.

I have suffered with this for a while - so I added a number to each layer (when it was correct) so re-ordering it was nice and easy.

Jiminimonka
February 27th, 2021, 09:35

Regards,
JPG

I have not seen the update box light up today (or last night) - layers still doing their own thing.

Reg
February 27th, 2021, 13:42
I have suffered with this for a while - so I added a number to each layer (when it was correct) so re-ordering it was nice and easy.

Numbers is a good suggestion. It still bloody frustrating though!

Glad to know I'm not crazy and it is happening for others.

Any word on a fix?

That update push was ages ago...

So I guess it didn't fix things entirely

Jiminimonka
February 27th, 2021, 18:23
Numbers is a good suggestion. It still bloody frustrating though!

Glad to know I'm not crazy and it is happening for others.

Any word on a fix?

That update push was ages ago...

So I guess it didn't fix things entirely

I have not seen the Update button light up, and did a Force Update too - makes no difference. Layers still borked. I assume it is traveling slowly to Live.

Sulimo
February 28th, 2021, 01:11
I have not seen the Update button light up, and did a Force Update too - makes no difference. Layers still borked. I assume it is traveling slowly to Live.

The message from Moon Wizard you quoted is actually from last August, so doubt it is a new update. :)

Jiminimonka
February 28th, 2021, 14:23
The message from Moon Wizard you quoted is actually from last August, so doubt it is a new update. :)

HAHA - LOL - ok then that explains why I didn't see and update.... the Dynamic Lighting update is more important and probably has this fixed as well.

Reg
February 28th, 2021, 14:49
HAHA - LOL - ok then that explains why I didn't see and update.... the Dynamic Lighting update is more important and probably has this fixed as well.

I disagree

THIS is more important!

This is driving me nuts.

Every time that I try and do something more complex than just import a JPG and drop LOS on, like actually build a map with features, then it goes weird with the FX layer make the grass ripple or the like.

Jiminimonka
February 28th, 2021, 15:24
I disagree

THIS is more important!

This is driving me nuts.

Every time that I try and do something more complex than just import a JPG and drop LOS on, like actually build a map with features, then it goes weird with the FX layer make the grass ripple or the like.

My map has about 30 layers with sub layers as well inside folders, I have LOS on furniture to move and ublock passage ways, sliding secret doors with LOS attached so I can reveal the passageway beyond as the door opens... etc.
That's why I started numbering them.

The dynamic lighting patch is going to be a big one and will change a lot of underlying systems, so I reckon the layers will be fixed at the same time as its Carl on the lighting and layers systems.

EDIT: I also have layers with beds with skeletons in them, and blankets as layers to remove, so the skeleton can get out of the bed, the crystals that can be destroyed by players are also on layers and can be removed, doors smashed in can be removed. etc. Layers!! Its like a layer cake 500 feet tall.

Reg
March 1st, 2021, 03:18
Yeah, that's pretty similar to what I'm experiencing.

here's the layers as designed and constantly re-ordered:-

Then once I exit the campaign and restart it it ends up like this:-

I added your suggestion of numbers to help with sequencing, but that only makes my job easier to re-sort stuff. The sequences of this isn't being arranged in alphabetical order, or some other sort that I can see.

It goes from this:-

back to the muddled mess of this:-

I too, have in the past used the layers and objects in a dungeon to provide dynamic obstacles and visual clues for my players but stopped when the layering re-order problem first appeared last year around July and August. I haven't returned to it, as I had thought it too hard to manage with this issue.

I also had not used effects for a while, but in starting this new campaign, wanted to revisit that feature.

For me the thing that wreaks the most havoc is the effects layer getting moved around.

This goes from water moving in a river, to the entire map rippling.

The other interesting thing, is that if I set all the layers as "Locked", when I restart the campaign, they are all unlocked.

This is really frustrating!!!

Reg
March 1st, 2021, 04:54
I've just uploaded my problematic campaign folder to one of the gurus here at his request, Moonwizard, who helped previously.

We'll see what they can make of it.

Jiminimonka
March 1st, 2021, 10:21
I've just uploaded my problematic campaign folder to one of the gurus here at his request, Moonwizard, who helped previously.

We'll see what they can make of it.

Yeah, same here a few weeks ago. Its a known issue. But the new Dynamic Lighting patch.... maybe the fix is in there. In the mean time - number your layers.

Jiminimonka
March 1st, 2021, 10:21
Yeah, that's pretty similar to what I'm experiencing.

here's the layers as designed and constantly re-ordered:-

Then once I exit the campaign and restart it it ends up like this:-

I added your suggestion of numbers to help with sequencing, but that only makes my job easier to re-sort stuff. The sequences of this isn't being arranged in alphabetical order, or some other sort that I can see.

It goes from this:-

back to the muddled mess of this:-

I too, have in the past used the layers and objects in a dungeon to provide dynamic obstacles and visual clues for my players but stopped when the layering re-order problem first appeared last year around July and August. I haven't returned to it, as I had thought it too hard to manage with this issue.

I also had not used effects for a while, but in starting this new campaign, wanted to revisit that feature.

For me the thing that wreaks the most havoc is the effects layer getting moved around.

This goes from water moving in a river, to the entire map rippling.

The other interesting thing, is that if I set all the layers as "Locked", when I restart the campaign, they are all unlocked.

This is really frustrating!!!

Another known issue (the unlocking)

Moon Wizard
March 3rd, 2021, 05:19
Can you guys provide example campaigns with images that have the layer sorting issue again?

I want to make sure that Carl has the most up to date examples; and we've been getting partial data from our support tickets. (i.e. campaigns; but not all the graphics files used)
Please send the zipped-up campaigns to [email protected]. Also, please include any custom graphics modules and files in the modules/images directory of the FG data folder.

Thanks,
JPG

Jiminimonka
March 3rd, 2021, 09:54
Can you guys provide example campaigns with images that have the layer sorting issue again?

I want to make sure that Carl has the most up to date examples; and we've been getting partial data from our support tickets. (i.e. campaigns; but not all the graphics files used)
Please send the zipped-up campaigns to [email protected]. Also, please include any custom graphics modules and files in the modules/images directory of the FG data folder.

Thanks,
JPG

Do you need mine again?

Moon Wizard
March 3rd, 2021, 17:35
Just to be safe, if it's not working in the Live version; please send me again.

We had fixed an issue in October last year similar to this; but we already double-checked that isn't the issue. @cpinder mentioned to me that he was waiting on graphics files on a couple; but this particular issue tracking has become disjointed.

I'm trying to reset; and make sure @cpinder has the latest campaign examples with all the necessary graphics. Then, I can double-check to recreate and document everything.

Thanks,
JPG

Jiminimonka
March 3rd, 2021, 17:58
Just to be safe, if it's not working in the Live version; please send me again.

We had fixed an issue in October last year similar to this; but we already double-checked that isn't the issue. @cpinder mentioned to me that he was waiting on graphics files on a couple; but this particular issue tracking has become disjointed.

I'm trying to reset; and make sure @cpinder has the latest campaign examples with all the necessary graphics. Then, I can double-check to recreate and document everything.

Thanks,
JPG

Its too big for an email. Opening a new ticket.

Jiminimonka
March 3rd, 2021, 19:40
SUPPORT-10386 new ticket - campaign and module uploaded, and 6gb asset link sent.

Moon Wizard
March 3rd, 2021, 20:22
@Jiminimonka,
Thank you very much; we've forwarded to Carl again and are tracking with all the data files.

@Reg,
If you are still having the issue, can you please provide the campaign and all referenced graphic files (modules/folders)?

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
March 3rd, 2021, 20:28
@Jiminimonka,

Is there a particular image we can look at? Is "Gnome Mines Low Level - FGU" one of them? If so, what order should they be in?

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
March 3rd, 2021, 20:29
Maybe even a quick image snip of the right hand layer list would be even faster.

JPG

Moon Wizard
March 3rd, 2021, 20:44
I was able to recreate with "Gnome Mines Low Level - FGU"; and added my notes to the support ticket for @cpinder.

Thanks,
JPG

Jiminimonka
March 3rd, 2021, 20:52
They are number from top layer to bottom 1 to 58 - think you figured it out now.

Reg
March 4th, 2021, 02:11
@Jiminimonka,
Thank you very much; we've forwarded to Carl again and are tracking with all the data files.

@Reg,
If you are still having the issue, can you please provide the campaign and all referenced graphic files (modules/folders)?

JPG

@Moonwizard - I'm uploading the additional material now to the link that I was sent. So the dropbox will now contain the campaign, all modules, extensions and images. It is large, so I'll monitor its progress - currently report flips between 1 and 2 hours. If that bombs, I'll break it up into smaller chunks

My problems were in a map from the "Seeds of Chaos" module within the map for "Garden, Orchad, Topiary & River". The layer order screen grabs were uploaded earlier in this post, but I've included them in the Drop box just to be sure.

Let me know if you'd like anything else to help track this down - screen grabs, videos of work in progress, log files. Whatever you need.
Thanks,
Reg F

Moon Wizard
March 4th, 2021, 03:15
Thanks guys. I think we might have found it; and it was related to module override files loading and not preserving parent IDs. It will be fixed with the vision/lighting release. Unfortunately, all the updates currently are gated as we work to get that out.

Regards,
JPG

Reg
March 4th, 2021, 13:10
Glad to help pin the bug down

Can't wait for the fix!

Hyperventilator
April 11th, 2021, 07:51
Has the fix supposedly been released? I'm still having this same issue.

LordEntrails
April 11th, 2021, 07:58
Has the fix supposedly been released? I'm still having this same issue.
Nope. Only updates have been to DLC and rulesets. They are working on version 4.1 which includes lighting and vision. It will be a big update, but is proving troublesome with performance impacts. See the Laboratory forum for details if interested in goings ons.