PDA

View Full Version : Another dumb noob question

GerryWright
August 4th, 2020, 13:51
One of my players has asked me how he can access his character sheet outside of game time. Despite combing the User Manual and the FG Unity wiki, I can't figure it out. Is there a way for him to get at the character sheet without me starting up the campaign and him joining for the express purpose of editing it?

Willot
August 4th, 2020, 14:11
You can export it from the character select screen. Email to him to import into his. Litte blue arrow buttons when the brown button. Bottom right is expanded

Trenloe
August 4th, 2020, 15:15
In FGU the user has access to all PCs that they have used as a player while using FGU on a specific computer - start up a campaign for the ruleset the PC was in (create one if they don't have one already - make it LAN so no one tries to connect), and from the Character Selection screen select "Import Character" (the blue up arrow button) and you'll see all of the PCs you used in a game for the campaign's ruleset on that computer. Click the green "+" sign to import them into that campaign to view/edit. I usually name my campaign "Characters - <ruleset>" and keep all my character edits there. Then, when joining a GM's game, I can import any characters I have in a local campaign - e.g. the "Characters - <ruleset>" campaign where I have all my characters.

Granamere
August 4th, 2020, 16:04
So while you are playing he can do a /save in chat. This will allow him to launch manage characters on his local computer. Any changes he makes will not be imported to the game unless he export the charter and the DM reimports the character. It is also worth nothing that if the DM has books available that the player does not he will not have access the them while he is not connected. Also if the player does have books that the DM does not he could link things that might not work once it is reimported.

Trenloe
August 4th, 2020, 18:09
You don’t need to specifically issue any save command. The data is kept up to date in the player cache locally. Just exit FGU normally and any PC you were controlling when you exited the campaign will be available to import into a campaign.

timdog88
August 6th, 2020, 20:24
So just to follow up; I played in a 5E game last night. I imported character into the game, player him, made some changes, and then left the game. Today, when I create a new 5e campaign, I press import characters, and I can import the same character, but only the version prior to playing in last nights game. None of the changes that I made during the game are saved. Am I missing something?

Trenloe
August 6th, 2020, 20:27
Am I missing something?
The same thing I was missing! ;)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52505-quot-Manage-Characters-quot-button&p=532504&viewfull=1#post532504

Granamere
August 6th, 2020, 20:33
Do a /save and you will have it local until it is fixed. I think you might need to export it and send it to the DM to import or even import into your new campaign.

Trenloe
August 6th, 2020, 22:15
Do a /save and you will have it local until it is fixed.
This is the second time you've mentioned /save. What do you think this actually does? Because I'm wondering if you're confusing it with something else...

Granamere
August 6th, 2020, 22:31
So I was taking a Fantasy grounds College class a few weeks back and the instructor mentioned that. I have tested it and it works. It how I got the character out of the class and to my local computer so I could keep it.

Trenloe
August 6th, 2020, 22:52
So I was taking a Fantasy grounds College class a few weeks back and the instructor mentioned that. I have tested it and it works. It how I got the character out of the class and to my local computer so I could keep it.
When a player uses the /save chat command when connected to a GM, it reports in the chat window "Character data saved". This is kind of correct, but a little misleading... FG performs a save of the local player campaign cache data when you exit FG (like I mentioned above in post #5). So there's really no need to issues the /save command - unless you have some a reason to save right then and there (e.g. your laptop battery is dying, you don't have time to exit FG and you're not going to reconnect to the GM any time soon).

Using /save doesn't get around the current issue noted in the link I provided in post #7 above: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52505-quot-Manage-Characters-quot-button&p=532504&viewfull=1#post532504 because it's not doing anything different than what happens when a player exits FG. It sounds like the linked issue wasn't around when you did your FG College class, which is probably what's causing confusion.

Granamere
August 6th, 2020, 23:10
I see another difference. In classic there is an option to Manager Characters. This is where you would have access to the Characters that you saved. Unity currently does not have this implemented. I had not gone looking for it until now.

Trenloe
August 6th, 2020, 23:13
I see another difference. In classic there is an option to Manager Characters. This is where you would have access to the Characters that you saved. Unity currently does not have this implemented. I had not gone looking for it until now.
Correct. Manage characters will not be in FGU. The functionality I mention in post #3 above replaces Manage Characters (when there isn't the issue reported in the link I provided above).