PDA

View Full Version : Modules vs Rulesets

WolfStar76
April 26th, 2007, 21:31
I'm trying to wrap my head around the difference between a ruleset and a module. My goal is to create whatever I need to adapt the RPGA's Xen'drik Expeditions campaign to FG play.

If I want to include an XML version of the Campaign Standards (PDF) that would just be adding a module, right? I could just create the module, by creating the client.xml as well as the definition.xml and slap in a picture for the "book" so the players can reference it during play - then as GM I allow or disallow the module.

Or do I need to create a custom "RPGA" ruleset to use a custom module like that?

I'm currently working with the assumption that unless I want to change the layout of something (the desktop, the character sheets, etc) I don't need to tinker with modules, but I'm not sure, and I'm not sure where to start. :)

joshuha
April 26th, 2007, 21:38
Nope you are correct. If all you want to add is information a module is the way to go.

The ruleset now is for altering character sheets, scripting, desktop, etc.

WolfStar76
April 26th, 2007, 21:55
Thanks!

Now I just need to find a decent way to enter a 30-page document into XML. ^_^

I mean, sure, I *could* just do it in notepad, but I'm laaazzzyyyy.

Ged
April 26th, 2007, 22:03
Have you tried the /export command in FGII (just type /export without any following parameters)? It could be rather useful in your case. You'll still need to cut and paste the text into story pages, add images etc., but still I think it would be worth checking out.

WolfStar76
April 26th, 2007, 22:15
When I get an adventure written I'll do that.

I'm looking to convert a PDF document that's used as a reference book into a module format.