PDA

View Full Version : IFT: TYPE() function question and also automation

Farnaby
August 1st, 2020, 08:07
One of the new monsters in the new module The Slithering has a nice ability namely choosing a creature type (animal, celestial or humanoid)
and adding 1d10 damage of the weapon damage type.

So the automation is
Effect: IFT: TYPE(humanoid); DMG: 1d10 piercing
The creature targets itself and applies the effect to itself.
Just noticed adding [SELF] at the end of the effect negates my previous sentence.

And here I found 2 conundrums.

1) The players don't have a TYPE tag. Now how do I apply the extra damage to the players?

2) The creature also can attack with jaws. How do I differentiate between natural and weapon attacks?
I guess I can turn off the effect manually.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Moon Wizard
August 1st, 2020, 08:21
In 5E, the "race" field is parsed to look for creature type and subtype information (while the NPC uses the "type" field). If a creature type isn't specified (i.e. one of "aberration", "beast", etc.); then the default type is assumed ("humanoid"). So, most PCs end up with a "humanoid" type, and a racial subtype ("elf", "dwarf", etc.)

I'm guessing that the PF2 ruleset might have something similar, but we'll have to wait for Trenloe to answer.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
August 1st, 2020, 08:39
1) The TYPE tag checks the traits of either NPCs or PCs.

2) You can't differentiate between weapon or natural attacks with an effect.

Farnaby
August 1st, 2020, 08:55
Double Post

Farnaby
August 1st, 2020, 08:56
As you can see here the first damage is against a PC who is a dwarf and (hangs head in shame) yes, I found the PC traits field. It says Dwarf Humanoid.
The effect is not applied. But it is applied to the hill giant.

Farnaby
August 1st, 2020, 10:22
Please don't ask me why, but I was working on something else and came back to look again and without changing anything it's now working.

:confused: