PDA

View Full Version : How Do I transfer data from Classic to Unity

AdamGM72
July 30th, 2020, 14:57
I have some data in FG Classic that I want to trasfer to Unity - not whole campaigns, but selected items.
I had expected to be able to load my FG Classic into the relevant campaign and Export the content into a Module (.Mod), copy it to the new FG Unity \module directory and then enable it, but I cannot see the module there.

Am I doing the wrong thing?

Why does it seem so difficult to transfer/migrate this data?

LordEntrails
July 30th, 2020, 15:01
Welcome to the forums :)
You should be able to do what you are suggesting. You may need to restart FGU after you add to the module folder to make sure it re-reads the folder contents. At a minimum you will need to close the module activation window.

AdamGM72
July 30th, 2020, 15:11
I realise I *should* be able to do it, but FG Unity does not show the Module at all, and there seems to be no Import equivalent to force it to open the file explicitly.
Is there something in the export from FGC that is missing so that FGU doesn't show the file?

I did a /export in FGC, included NPCs from my FGC campaign, and gave it a filename and title - Spiders.mod. I have copied this spiders.mod to the FGU Data \modules folder and started FGU. On loading my FGU campaign I have opened the Library, Modules window and it is not available.

AdamGM72
July 30th, 2020, 15:13
I have attached the mod file in the hopes it will help.

Trenloe
July 30th, 2020, 16:19
I have attached the mod file in the hopes it will help.
There's no data in there.

When you export you'll need to select which records to include in the export. You need to do this each time you export - the module export window only remembers the data at the top of the window (name, filename, etc.).

AdamGM72
July 30th, 2020, 16:39
Attempt #2.
This time instead of selecting All NPC option I have explicitly added the 3 NPC Entries.

The Mod now appears in FGU Modules Window (called Test)
When Loaded, I have checked the NPCs list, and while the OneShot #1 Group from the mod appears as a group in the dropdown, there are no NPC entries.

I have opened the .mod archive and it shows that the data has not been exported, so now it looks like the issue is on the FGC end...

Manticore2020
December 22nd, 2021, 04:54
I have the same problem
My Module from FG works in FG but I cant see it in FGU module activation.....any update?

LordEntrails
December 22nd, 2021, 05:41
I have the same problem
My Module from FG works in FG but I cant see it in FGU module activation.....any update?
You're going to need to tell us more. If possible, if you can upload it then we can test it. But otherwise, where did you put it in FGU? How did you create the module? What ruleset? Have you tried importing the module development campaign to FGU if you have one? Have you tried exporting just Stories, or Just NPCs to see what parts FGU is having trouble with?

damned
December 22nd, 2021, 10:09
Share your Mod and we will see what the issue is.

Manticore2020
December 22nd, 2021, 18:41
Hi,
DND 5e. I used the EXPORT button in FG. named the file and all. I see the module in the module folder in FG. I also see it in the Module activation screen in FG. then i copy it and put it in the module folder of FGU. not the campaign module but in the general module folder. here is the file:

Trenloe
December 22nd, 2021, 19:11
Hi,
DND 5e. I used the EXPORT button in FG. named the file and all. I see the module in the module folder in FG. I also see it in the Module activation screen in FG. then i copy it and put it in the module folder of FGU. not the campaign module but in the general module folder. here is the file:
The module is called "Mike". Restart FGU, then go to Modules -> Activation and check for the "Mike" module. If you have lots of modules the choices will be displayed by page - under the modules window will be a section saying something like "Page 1 of 4" - use the > button to go to the next window as needed, or type mike in the (Search By Name) field and press enter - see the attached screenshot.

LordEntrails
December 22nd, 2021, 19:19
I don't see it under Mike or the file name myself. I notice it does not have a category, is that the problem? (Sorry, can't test that myself atm).

Manticore2020
December 22nd, 2021, 21:48
yes still dont see it....weird as hell
let me check the category thing

Manticore2020
December 22nd, 2021, 22:14
Weird, i did an other export for fun, with only a few items...around 400k...i see it now....i have no clue what i did or didnt do