PDA

View Full Version : FGU Line of Sight question

Wert
July 28th, 2020, 22:32
How do you handle the LoS function when using torches? A character who does not have dark vision uses a torch. That torch is good for 20' bright and an additional 20' of dim lighting and lasts for 1 hour. Is that something Unity picks up on once the player equips the torch or is there something that I have to enter on the character sheet so Unity knows and allows the player to have 20' bright + 20' of dim?
Thanks for all the help.
Wert

Moon Wizard
July 28th, 2020, 23:14
Vision and lighting is not supported on FGU yet. We have plans to add after we get past the first release.

Regards,
JPG

Wert
July 29th, 2020, 01:09
So for now then all players have the same LoS regardless of race? Its really LoS and not dynamic lighting.

Zacchaeus
July 29th, 2020, 01:45
So for now then all players have the same LoS regardless of race? Its really LoS and not dynamic lighting.
Yes, it is line of sight. You can use the mask in conjunction with LOS if you want to restrict the vision length.

Nickademus
July 29th, 2020, 05:01
It is line of effect, not line of sight. There are many other factors in the rules and in the situation that would account for sight. It would be very difficult to automate actual line of sight.

RunningHill
July 29th, 2020, 08:03
Combining a line of sight together with a vision radius doesn't sound very difficult to automate. Another VTT I have has it already but even that isn't perfect.
I would like then they implement the effect that they consider other systems versions on dark vision and not only go for 5e version. Some has only night vision there for getting dim light radius you need a light source. But then you have a light source you get some extra radius on the dim vision radie due to night vision. Like then its dark its dark but then there is light you have a bigger area. It's some parameters for vision that to happen that are needed to be adjusted from the character sheet.

damned
July 29th, 2020, 10:54
it will come. its not at the top of the list yet - it will get there.

Nickademus
July 29th, 2020, 14:30
Combining a line of sight together with a vision radius doesn't sound very difficult to automate. Another VTT I have has it already but even that isn't perfect.
I would like then they implement the effect that they consider other systems versions on dark vision and not only go for 5e version. Some has only night vision there for getting dim light radius you need a light source. But then you have a light source you get some extra radius on the dim vision radie due to night vision. Like then its dark its dark but then there is light you have a bigger area. It's some parameters for vision that to happen that are needed to be adjusted from the character sheet.

That's my point. It's not that simple when each rule system has its own way of handling vision, possibly with multiple fictional types of vision, magical and mundane ways to limit or remove sight, and different perceptions from character to character.

Moon Wizard
July 30th, 2020, 22:29
It's not just vision, but also lighting. I mean, a human in a well-lighted open area can see for miles. And, then there's lighting at various distances, as well as vision types with limited ranges. There's a lot of interpretation to be applied; as well as considering somewhat ambiguous areas such as dim lighting regions and what they should look like, etc.

Regards,
JPG

RunningHill
July 31st, 2020, 08:21
Never mind..

Moon Wizard
July 31st, 2020, 09:54
It's definitely something that we have already acknowledged is a high priority after we can get the first release out. Essentially, it will be the tentpole for the second release of features and fixes. I was just adding that there is a lot to think about when you start throwing vision and lighting in the mix.

Regards,
JPG

RunningHill
July 31st, 2020, 14:43
Well, if it was easy I guess it would have been done already :-)

GEONE
August 3rd, 2021, 22:28
One year later and this high priority feature still isn't implemented. Kind of makes lighting pointless when you can see infinitely far anyways. I can just disable LoS and the vision radius works fine with a torch. But if I want the token collision features that come with LoS then I have to deal with PCs being able to see past their light source's range even into unexplored areas as long as it's in a straight line. Manual masking is a huge pain so I wouldn't really call that a fix.

damned
August 3rd, 2021, 22:45
Lighting and LoS works correctly when enabled.

LordEntrails
August 3rd, 2021, 23:02
One year later and this high priority feature still isn't implemented. Kind of makes lighting pointless when you can see infinitely far anyways. I can just disable LoS and the vision radius works fine with a torch. But if I want the token collision features that come with LoS then I have to deal with PCs being able to see past their light source's range even into unexplored areas as long as it's in a straight line. Manual masking is a huge pain so I wouldn't really call that a fix.
As damned said, if you are using vision and lighting correctly this works exactly as desired by the OP.

If you are unable to get it to work correctly, then please start a new thread asking for help and provide the details of your campaign, map, characters, etc. Logs, and screenshots will be instrumental is helping you set this up correctly. Or you can reach out via Discord to either the official FG community or the FG College servers and ask for someone to help walk you through the setup. There are also various videos on YouTube that can give you direction, or the manual/wiki on the site here.

FyreM
August 3rd, 2021, 23:24
(5gp on the issue being he has an Ambient light on the entire map of Daylight....)

MrDDT
August 4th, 2021, 02:50

You can apply effects to the NPCs or PCs to limit their vision.

VISION: x

Where x is the range you want. Example. If you want to limit them to 300ft, you can put VISION: 300