PDA

View Full Version : 5E Character Wizard Bug Reports

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

FG_Wraith
July 28th, 2020, 20:10
Since the Character Wizard has moved from beta to release version, we're moving all future suggestions and bug reports to this thread.

Please report all bugs relating to the Character Wizard to this thread. This includes only the Character Wizard, but all aspect of the Character Wizard; including UI layout, data inaccuracies, and problems with the final character sheet. Not to mention any suggestions you might have for the improvement of the Wizard.

Please provide as much detail as possible for what you did prior to the bug, and include any log information pertaining to the bug.

FG_Wraith
July 28th, 2020, 20:10
UPDATE (TEST BRANCH) 07/29/2020 - IN TEST BRANCH NOW

CLERIC/DRUID SPELLS
Just a heads up since this has come up before. The number in the spells available box for Druids and Clerics isn't the total number of spells they get. It's the calculated number they can prepare. There wasn't much point in putting a real spells available there for them because it would just be 'all', and we don't want to dump every Cleric/Druid spell in every module that might be open during character generation. This way it gives the player a leg-up on having their prepared spells ready for a game start and if they want to add more then they can. (The Character Wizard doesn't prevent you from going over the spells available number)

SPELL PAGE
Fixed Casting Attribute Bonus not being added to Cleric/Druid/Paladin/Artificer spell selection totals (Forum post)
Fixed Artificer spell slot calculation and spell selection amounts
Fixed selected spells not clearing when the class that gave those spells was changed.
Fixed spell slots not appearing on final character sheet.
Fixed multiclass spell slot calculations not always appearing at top of spell page.
Fixed spell slot calculations not changing to or from Warlock when making a multiclass Warlock.
Fixed spell selection for multiclass spellcasters not limiting to maximum spell level for that class's level.
Fixed Spell Page initialization to not start on Cantrips for classes that do not have Cantrips.
Fixed 2nd level Paladin and Ranger not getting spell choices.
Fixed Spell List items and Selected Spell items containing editable text.
Fixed Spells not appearing under their class's spell heading after committing to character sheet.
Fixed Cantrips and Spells Available miscalculating when deleting a selected spell or when returning to spell page.
CLASS PAGE
Fixed SKILL SELECTION Window appearing more than once after changing multiclass choice.
RACE PAGE
Fixed Racial Traits on the final character sheet pointing at the race reference instead of the racial trait reference.
INVENTORY PAGE
Added Tools, Kits, Gaming Sets, and Musical Instruments to the list of items that can be bought.
Fixed a bug where anything over 1,000 gp was being sold for the number in front of the comma. (truncation error)

FG_Wraith
July 28th, 2020, 20:12
(Reserved)

stoehovve
July 28th, 2020, 22:23
Moderator: Post moved here for greater visibility

Hi @smiteworks,

First off, I'd like to thank you for the excellent work on getting the character creation wizard into FGU, and working as well as it did, but I've found a few issues in relation to creating a cleric based character. As you may (or may not) know, I've been putting together several tutorials on how to create various characters of different classes, and I recorded another one for a Dwarvish Cleric of the Life Domain, but this time I used the character wizard. Some of these issues happen while I was running through the CCW, some others seem to be a side effect of using the new CCW, while the remainder are related to window ui issues.

You can find the full video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNZh1Eqc5M

Within the video, you will find a few things that I noted that all appear to be related to the character wizard -> character sheet conversion (at least it looks that way). The video is almost un-edited, in that I've only stopped/started the recording to ensure a consistent run through the entire process. During the editing process, and final review I made note of the time-stamp of where I think several of the more critical issues I ran into happened, they are as follows:

Time Format = hh:mm:ss
- ~00:20:15 - The wording of "Selected Spells and Cantrips Available" are smashed together, I use a ui scale of 100%"
- ~00:20:15 - When the character was being created, the spell casting ability bonus was not added to the Spells Available total, it remained at 1/1, when it should have been x/5 (level 1 + wisdom bonus of +4). I realize this at approx 01:03:00 in the video.
- ~00:44:21 - You will see the actions tab is missing the first level spell slots, as if nothing got set when the conversion happened from the character creator wizard to the character sheet.
- ~00:44:54 - You will see I open the bonus proficiency (Life) feature, and I realize the heavy armor proficiency did not get added to the characters list of proficiencies.
- ~00:45:40 - I start to open the dwarven racial traits, and you might notice they don't link to the trait, but to the race information page, despite the description being "Dwarven Resilience, trait", or "Dwarven Toughness, trait", "Stonecunning, trait", etc.
- ~00:55:13 - I open the heal effect of the Cure Wounds Spell, and the new window does not display the element that shows what the heal actually does. This issue reoccurs at various times along the leveling process, but was not isolated to just the effects windows.
- ~01:22:30 - I realize the Wisdom and Charisma save proficiencies that should be set, are not.
- ~01:29:05 - I realize the next Life Domain proficiency is not linked to the character sheet, when Blessed healer does not appear in the list, but is supposed to be the next divine domain feature that is acquired at level 6. This is contrary to the fact that Disciple of life DID get linked properly to the character, and I realize the life domain might not be linked properly in some way. The same thing happened with Divine Strike (Life) and Supreme healing later on in the video, where the skills were NOT added.

There might be other issues that cropped up during the run through of that character, but these were the ones I noticed while I was editing. Feel free to make snippets of those video segments for your internal bug reporting needs, if you decide they are issues. Also feel free to point me to a trash bin, if you feel they are not issues :>

FG_Wraith
July 28th, 2020, 23:46
There might be other issues that cropped up during the run through of that character, but these were the ones I noticed while I was editing. Feel free to make snippets of those video segments for your internal bug reporting needs, if you decide they are issues. Also feel free to point me to a trash bin, if you feel they are not issues :>

Thank you! Many of the items in your list are included in the above fixes but some are not and I appreciate the notification. I'll be trying to include as many as I can in the next test branch update along with the fixes listed above. I'll also take a look at the video to see if anything happened that shouldn't have. Again, thanks for the detailed bug report!

stoehovve
July 29th, 2020, 11:13
@FG_Wraith, I saw that once the content of my message got transferred to this thread, which is nice to know. I do have another issue to report, and have another video clip that I have not uploaded to my YT channel. As this is a clip I don't intend to release publicly, I've sent the link as a PM to you.

This issue starts at ~00:01:30 where the dwarvish subrace simply no longer appears. I was never able to get it so I could recreate it, but I'm hoping the clip will provide you clues as to what happened.

FG_Wraith
July 29th, 2020, 17:25
@FG_Wraith, I saw that once the content of my message got transferred to this thread, which is nice to know. I do have another issue to report, and have another video clip that I have not uploaded to my YT channel. As this is a clip I don't intend to release publicly, I've sent the link as a PM to you.

This issue starts at ~00:01:30 where the dwarvish subrace simply no longer appears. I was never able to get it so I could recreate it, but I'm hoping the clip will provide you clues as to what happened.

I got the link and watched the clip. I can't recreate it either, but I know the exact loop that would have been iterating when you selected the Elf race. I'll start there, Thank you.

cboillot
July 30th, 2020, 17:09
When creating a race, and using the ASI "Your choice of either your Charisma or your Wisdom increases by 2. Your Strength score is reduced by 1." This throws up an "[7/30/2020 11:05:30 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard_racewindow.lu..."]:514: attempt to index field 'abilities' (a nil value)" error.

Using old school drag and drop, it works.

MOD: moved to Character Wizard Bug Report Thread

mullen1200
July 31st, 2020, 08:57
I have to save my character to a file immediately following pressing "Save" in the wizard. Otherwise it disappears on me after I open the characters window a for a 2nd time.

FG_Wraith
July 31st, 2020, 16:06
When creating a race, and using the ASI "Your choice of either your Charisma or your Wisdom increases by 2. Your Strength score is reduced by 1." This throws up an "[7/30/2020 11:05:30 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard_racewindow.lu..."]:514: attempt to index field 'abilities' (a nil value)" error.

Using old school drag and drop, it works.

MOD: moved to Character Wizard Bug Report Thread

Thanks for the report, I'll make sure that gets fixed immediately.

FG_Wraith
July 31st, 2020, 16:08
I have to save my character to a file immediately following pressing "Save" in the wizard. Otherwise it disappears on me after I open the characters window a for a 2nd time.

The character wizard will not save data currently. If you close it before saving the character to a character sheet it will consider it that you don't want to save the character. I am currently working on loading a previously made character to level it up, and will be adding the ability to 'hold' the data of an unfinished build, but that will be in a future update.

Rbbrbootz
July 31st, 2020, 16:39
I noticed that the CharWiz has no flexibility when it comes to two aspects having the same skill. Specifically, a half-orc with soldier background. Both have intimidation. It won't let me select a different skill to prevent the overlap and will not let me save the PC.

FG_Wraith
July 31st, 2020, 17:28
I noticed that the CharWiz has no flexibility when it comes to two aspects having the same skill. Specifically, a half-orc with soldier background. Both have intimidation. It won't let me select a different skill to prevent the overlap and will not let me save the PC.

That's on the list to fix. When not given a choice, the RAW is to allow the player to select a skill. So that's what we need to do, but I need to make a new window for that. It'll be included in the Class page improvement update. Thanks for the report.

Rbbrbootz
July 31st, 2020, 19:10
Thank you

Rbbrbootz
July 31st, 2020, 19:41
That's on the list to fix. When not given a choice, the RAW is to allow the player to select a skill. So that's what we need to do, but I need to make a new window for that. It'll be included in the Class page improvement update. Thanks for the report.

@FG_Wraith

Where do I find those lists (for CharWiz and FGU) as I am not duplicating any known issues? I have found a couple more that are not related to CharWiz, but relating to class features.

Gothstaff
July 31st, 2020, 21:09
Bear with me as this is my first time ever using the character creator, but I can't seem to save my character, upon viewing the character creator wizard in YT that was released just a few days ago... there's a "Save" button in that video that I do not see in my character creator wizard, am I missing something?
FYI, I actually had the extension since it was first released (again, never used it though), but I deleted it knowing this was now part of FGU, so it isn't even available, much less selected as an extension.

Zacchaeus
July 31st, 2020, 21:30
Bear with me as this is my first time ever using the character creator, but I can't seem to save my character, upon viewing the character creator wizard in YT that was released just a few days ago... there's a "Save" button in that video that I do not see in my character creator wizard, am I missing something?
FYI, I actually had the extension since it was first released (again, never used it though), but I deleted it knowing this was now part of FGU, so it isn't even available, much less selected as an extension.

As you can see down the bottom left there is an error 'Duplicate skills' You need to fix that before it will allow you to save.

LordEntrails
July 31st, 2020, 22:04
@FG_Wraith

Where do I find those lists (for CharWiz and FGU) as I am not duplicating any known issues? I have found a couple more that are not related to CharWiz, but relating to class features.
The complete lists are internal to SmiteWorks and not visible to us. This thread serves as the public list for the Character Wizard, and this post serves as the public list for FGU; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50483-FGU-Playtest-Known-Items

Gothstaff
July 31st, 2020, 22:15
As you can see down the bottom left there is an error 'Duplicate skills' You need to fix that before it will allow you to save.
aaah, I stand corrected, thank you for the prompt reply Zacchaeus

FG_Wraith
July 31st, 2020, 22:29
@FG_Wraith

During the beta it was updated on the first page of the thread, but I ended up keeping them in notes for myself since so much was from my own testing. If you find an error in the Character Wizard go ahead a post it here. Duplicates give me a better idea of priority so I know what is affecting the most people.

Rbbrbootz
August 1st, 2020, 02:58
The complete lists are internal to SmiteWorks and not visible to us. This thread serves as the public list for the Character Wizard, and this post serves as the public list for FGU; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50483-FGU-Playtest-Known-Items

Thank you for the FGU link. I'll be subscribing to that as well as I figure I'll be posting there for a while.

Rbbrbootz
August 1st, 2020, 03:01
During the beta it was updated on the first page of the thread, but I ended up keeping them in notes for myself since so much was from my own testing. If you find an error in the Character Wizard go ahead a post it here. Duplicates give me a better idea of priority so I know what is affecting the most people.

Unfortunately, with its limitations, I am finding it almost easier to do it manually. This also leaves me the ability to leave some areas blank if, for example, I'm transposing characters from another platform, and the players have not put in all the info, like background. Maybe have a DRAFT option so that you can come back as needed?

Rbbrbootz
August 1st, 2020, 23:09
OK, I slept on it, and I do want to help with this, as there are players who may want to have an easier time creating characters.
I have a few other items that might be of interest. I will post them separately. When it comes to Rogue Scout (XGtE), it talks about Survivalist having a double proficiency bonus for Nature and Survival. This would be useful to have setup automatically as the players will likely miss it because it shows as proficient, but not Expertise.

Rbbrbootz
August 1st, 2020, 23:24
When creating a character with the Wiz at higher than first level, it doesn't seem to like feats. It will keep the feats tab showing as unselected, even if it has been selected, and if you tab away from feats and come back, it does not keep the feat. It will save it though and put it in the abilities.

Pic attached.

FG_Wraith
August 1st, 2020, 23:31
OK, I slept on it, and I do want to help with this, as there are players who may want to have an easier time creating characters.
I have a few other items that might be of interest. I will post them separately. When it comes to Rogue Scout (XGtE), it talks about Survivalist having a double proficiency bonus for Nature and Survival. This would be useful to have setup automatically as the players will likely miss it because it shows as proficient, but not Expertise.

When creating a character with the Wiz at higher than first level, it doesn't seem to like feats. It will keep the feats tab showing as unselected, even if it has been selected, and if you tab away from feats and come back, it does not keep the feat. It will save it though and put it in the abilities.

Pic attached.

Thanks again for the reports. The Wizard has no double proficiency at all as yet. The class page improvements will address that and that happens to be one of the things that really needs to go in soon, so thanks for the report. While the feats not repopulating and the warning going away is part of this weeks fixes. The spells improvements is in, and there was similar issues with that page like changing one of your classes wouldn't get rid of that classes chosen spells, but that works now among a number of other issues. So hopefully a new test update will be coming soon that has the feat improvements and then next up I'm going to do the same for the class page.

Rbbrbootz
August 1st, 2020, 23:42
Great to hear that!

Also, I had a hiccough with changing classes not removing the skills either, once. I was not able to reproduce. The skill in question was Stealth. I will continue to see if I can reproduce it.

Question for you concerning a couple of other features, one is related to the double proficiency...Rogue expertise. I am guessing that it will be implemented at the same time as the class page improvements.
The second one is save proficiencies...they don't seem to be affected by the implementation of a class.

Will there be a wizard for leveling up? I noticed that dragging and dropping the levels added certain things, but not others. In this case, no pop up for expertise, but a pop up for class specialization. If there will be, can the specialization be added to the Class?

Thanks a bunch!

FG_Wraith
August 1st, 2020, 23:57
Great to hear that!

Also, I had a hiccough with changing classes not removing the skills either, once. I was not able to reproduce. The skill in question was Stealth. I will continue to see if I can reproduce it.

Question for you concerning a couple of other features, one is related to the double proficiency...Rogue expertise. I am guessing that it will be implemented at the same time as the class page improvements.
The second one is save proficiencies...they don't seem to be affected by the implementation of a class.

Will there be a wizard for leveling up? I noticed that dragging and dropping the levels added certain things, but not others. In this case, no pop up for expertise, but a pop up for class specialization. If there will be, can the specialization be added to the Class?

Thanks a bunch!

Yes, double proficiency and save proficiency will be addressed at the same time. (since saves are mostly a class issue, even if it also shares a bit with stats) The leveling up is the big feature I am working on while doing the page improvements. However, since it's quite a bit more in-depth I don't have an eta for it.

SpectreK74
August 2nd, 2020, 18:08
Noted that races, equipment, feats from loaded content are working fine in the Character Wizard. However, during Class selection when creating a character of 3 level or higher, the only Class Specializations available are from Player's Handbook. I have attached my logs for review, but did not note anything that should cause this.

MOD: moved to Character Wizard bug report thread.

FG_Wraith
August 2nd, 2020, 20:26
Noted that races, equipment, feats from loaded content are working fine in the Character Wizard. However, during Class selection when creating a character of 3 level or higher, the only Class Specializations available are from Player's Handbook. I have attached my logs for review, but did not note anything that should cause this.

MOD: moved to Character Wizard bug report thread.

Thank you. I will look at this today.

ThingsCouldGetDicey
August 5th, 2020, 14:44
when multiclassing it doesnt calculate the correct averages of the hp value.
abilities tab isnt giving all abilities
expertise needs to be looked into.
and if we could have a jack of all trades auto applied effect on bards would be much appreciated.

FG_Wraith
August 5th, 2020, 22:12
when multiclassing it doesnt calculate the correct averages of the hp value.
abilities tab isnt giving all abilities
expertise needs to be looked into.
and if we could have a jack of all trades auto applied effect on bards would be much appreciated.

Thanks Dicey, working on the class page now.

Cfloyd18
August 6th, 2020, 18:20
This tool seems very helpful...however I noticed some of the bugs from the Beta are still here. The "Duplicate" issue when choosing Background/Race/Class doesn't allow the player to choose another options (as per the PHB). I also noticed that going through the Inventory portion, several parts of the descriptions are cut off due to the size of the field on display. Is there a way to increase these fields, or increase the entire size of the window, thus allowing players to read the information... I saw this often with weapons. You can click on the shield to pull of the information, however it doesn't actually tell the player what the damage is of that weapon, just the weight and the cots. I also don't see a way to add extra gold. Such as my Barbarian Half-Orc with a Background with Soldier... would have duplicate skills in Intimidation, also with starting equipment they would get a pouch with 10GP in it. It would be nice to add it at the beginning as part of their starting equipment. I just played with it for a few moments as of today, and these were the immediate things I noticed.

Cfloyd18
August 6th, 2020, 19:59
I was playing with it a few more times... and discovered the Ability Scores are not being read via Custom Races. However, the old method of using "click and drag" onto the sheets, the system DOES detect it and calculate it correctly. So something in the wizard isn't reading the same information as the old sheet does.

Ibhuk
August 6th, 2020, 20:46
Is it possible to get a little notation next to selections in the character Wizard about where the choices are drawn from? So something that could have an abbreviated name of the module in parentheses after the selection. I have a campaign using some UA options and it is difficult to be sure if the actual release version or the UA version is being picked. For example, both the UA and released Warforged show up in the race options in the wizard and it would be nice if there was a little notation like (UA) or (ERFTLW) next to them so I can figure out which one is which.

FG_Wraith
August 6th, 2020, 21:26
This tool seems very helpful...however I noticed some of the bugs from the Beta are still here. The "Duplicate" issue when choosing Background/Race/Class doesn't allow the player to choose another options (as per the PHB). I also noticed that going through the Inventory portion, several parts of the descriptions are cut off due to the size of the field on display. Is there a way to increase these fields, or increase the entire size of the window, thus allowing players to read the information... I saw this often with weapons. You can click on the shield to pull of the information, however it doesn't actually tell the player what the damage is of that weapon, just the weight and the cots. I also don't see a way to add extra gold. Such as my Barbarian Half-Orc with a Background with Soldier... would have duplicate skills in Intimidation, also with starting equipment they would get a pouch with 10GP in it. It would be nice to add it at the beginning as part of their starting equipment. I just played with it for a few moments as of today, and these were the immediate things I noticed.

Yes, the duplicate skill issue is being worked on this week and will release in the class page improvement in the next update. The UI for selecting skills will have to be altered to allow a general choice if the duplicate comes from selections that do not allow choices. Starting equipment will be added in a future inventory page improvement update.

I was playing with it a few more times... and discovered the Ability Scores are not being read via Custom Races. However, the old method of using "click and drag" onto the sheets, the system DOES detect it and calculate it correctly. So something in the wizard isn't reading the same information as the old sheet does.

Custom races are currently not supported but I'll be addressing that in the race page improvement update in the future.

Is it possible to get a little notation next to selections in the character Wizard about where the choices are drawn from? So something that could have an abbreviated name of the module in parentheses after the selection. I have a campaign using some UA options and it is difficult to be sure if the actual release version or the UA version is being picked. For example, both the UA and released Warforged show up in the race options in the wizard and it would be nice if there was a little notation like (UA) or (ERFTLW) next to them so I can figure out which one is which.

There was tooltip if you hovered over the selection button for race/class/background/etc., but it was disabled for release. I will be re-enabling it in the next Character Wizard update.

Cfloyd18
August 6th, 2020, 21:30
@FG_Wraith Thanks for the quick response! I look forward to the new releases/updates!

ThingsCouldGetDicey
August 6th, 2020, 22:35
just as a suggestion could we make metamagic selectable for sorcerors. currently they are all bundled as one thing. when it should be a choice. because you choose two at lvl 3 and then choose 2 at another level. if this were to be implemented it should be with the choices already made greyed out.

ColinBuckler
August 8th, 2020, 14:47
Races, Backgrounds and items appear to be parsed from modules open.

Can we have skills work in the same way by parsing the list of available skills as there maybe custom skills available.

FG_Wraith
August 8th, 2020, 16:54
Races, Backgrounds and items appear to be parsed from modules open.

Can we have skills work in the same way by parsing the list of available skills as there maybe custom skills available.

That's not a bad idea, but I do have to maintain the design's original intent; to make character creation easier and faster. Considering that you can always right click on the skills in the skills tab of the character sheet and add your own, (among other more difficult but permanent methods) I'm not sure how this addition would fit in the 'easier and faster' intent. But I will certainly keep it in mind if I see an opportunity to implement it with an intuitive method.

ThingsCouldGetDicey
August 8th, 2020, 23:51
will part of the restructure of the way characters are handled will they gain all the relevant coding (actions) for their respective skills and unique features and in the future possibly reworked spells for the action tab?

YouWin
August 9th, 2020, 03:58
Hi, I would like to thank the developers for adding character wizard as it helps greatly for newer player on character creation.
Here are some bugs that I have encountered:

When creating a Human-variant, switching tabs after selecting the feats will unselect the feat selected.
When enter a subrace (like Forest Gnome) after creation, the character sheet only show Gnome (not sure if this is intended)

FG_Wraith
August 10th, 2020, 17:28
Hi, I would like to thank the developers for adding character wizard as it helps greatly for newer player on character creation.
Here are some bugs that I have encountered:

When creating a Human-variant, switching tabs after selecting the feats will unselect the feat selected.
When enter a subrace (like Forest Gnome) after creation, the character sheet only show Gnome (not sure if this is intended)

Thank you. I made sure to double check, and both of these are fixed and will be in the next Character Wizard update!

RyuKato
August 14th, 2020, 06:29
Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place for this information but i couldn't find a better place on your website.

The sub-classes offered in "Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide" are not visible if you load in the DM's version of the book. You can only see them if you load in the players' version. This is unlike the rest of the materials you offer. If you could fix it it would be much appreciated. Also, some of the sub-classes are duplicated from the PHB in the players version of SCAG.

LordEntrails
August 14th, 2020, 17:19
Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place for this information but i couldn't find a better place on your website.

The sub-classes offered in "Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide" are not visible if you load in the DM's version of the book. You can only see them if you load in the players' version. This is unlike the rest of the materials you offer. If you could fix it it would be much appreciated. Also, some of the sub-classes are duplicated from the PHB in the players version of SCAG.
Welcome RyuKato.

This is known and intended. The design philosophy of splitting and duplicating content between 'Player' and 'DM' versions has changed over the years. So some modules the DM version will have all content, and in others it will not have the player facing options such as races and classes.

Unfortunately it is one of those situations where what is done is done and can not easily be changed to update the content without breaking innumerable existing campaigns and characters. So it's something we just have to know and work around :(

FG_Wraith
August 14th, 2020, 21:29
Hello,

This is the right place, and thanks for the alert.

When I first created it, I limited the data sources to prevent duplicates but this had a side effect of removing some from sources that were independent of the PHB that had some additional data. So, I backed out that code and am now letting all data be seen. I will, in the future, take a look at some options such as 'player's source only' and PHB precedence, but for now just to make bug finding more clear I'm leaving it all in.

Thank you again for the heads up!

NinkasiNinja
August 16th, 2020, 18:31
There is no save option when generating a character in the character wizard!?!

Zacchaeus
August 16th, 2020, 18:57

Yes. Once you have completed everything that is required a Svae button will appear allowing you to save.

If you don't see the button then something hasn't been done that needs to be done in order to complete the character. (a common one is that you have duplicate skills - which will show as an error)

FG_Wraith
August 16th, 2020, 19:26

Thanks for the observation, I should change that so it is there but disabled until the minimum requirements are met then enable it.

doredras
August 21st, 2020, 23:40
This is really cool and thank you for doing it!

I've been playing with it with my group recently, and the issue I've run into is, unfortunately, one that I think is probably near the core of what you're doing and unsolvable. Either way though, for posterity:

Creating a character via the wizard is definitely both easier and faster, but also clearer - it's very clear what decisions need to be made and in what order. This is potentially really really useful for newer players, who aren't as familiar with the process. Unfortunately, those newer players are also the players who most often need some help during the process. In the past when they needed help I would just pop open their sheet in-progress to see what they were doing and getting stuck on, and then either give them advice or fix it for them. With the way the wizard handles creation though, no record is sent to the GM side until it is completed - I assume it is all happening in-memory on the player's machine? As a result, we've actually had more struggles making PCs than before, since instead of looking at the same thing we're either trying to describe things back and forth or trading screenshots etc.

So in short I love simpler front-end walkthrough functionality, but sort of wish all it did was walk the user through the same creation flow, where the sheet was already in the DB and being edited on the fly. I don't think this is aligned with what you were trying to accomplish though. :)

Bonkon
August 22nd, 2020, 04:29
Good Day FG_Wraith :)
I was playing around with this and made a Triton race character. All worked as intended until I was checking the Traits under the Abilities tab. Any of the four traits assigned sent you back to the main Triton race page instead of the specific ability. Not a big deal, but a quality of life thing :)

Thanks for all the work you have put into this!! :)

Ryuson
August 24th, 2020, 20:01
I think a similar issue was mentioned in a different 5e thread but I don't see it here: when making a Cleric PC, the spell slots did not appear (not prepared spells or such, the actual radio buttons denoting spell slots per level). So had to remake the character manually (which is easy enough for a 3rd level PC).

stoehovve
August 24th, 2020, 23:21
I think a similar issue was mentioned in a different 5e thread but I don't see it here: when making a Cleric PC, the spell slots did not appear (not prepared spells or such, the actual radio buttons denoting spell slots per level). So had to remake the character manually (which is easy enough for a 3rd level PC).

Actually, all you would have needed to do is switch your actions tab to preparation mode, and manually enter in the number of active spell slots the character could have used, by updating the 0 in the spell slots fields with the appropriate number, that's current what I am doing.

Roach
August 25th, 2020, 10:33
I just created a Dragonborn Sorcerer (right after running an Update of FGU. The Racial Features in the character sheet, once done, linked to the Dragonborn Main Page - even though the title still read, e.g., "Breath Weapon" ...

Moon Wizard
August 25th, 2020, 23:27
Character wizard fixes currently in Test channel for target release next week.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61207-Character-Wizard-Upcoming-Changes&p=536974#post536974

Regards,
JPG

NinkasiNinja
August 26th, 2020, 02:16
Ok, I will look for that!

I appreciate your guys work!

Rivanknight220
September 2nd, 2020, 02:07
Good evening all.

After today's update I can't get the Save button to show up at all. I ran through the entire creation process but the button does not become visible. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Zeropoint
September 2nd, 2020, 02:42
i am also having the same issue with the creation wizard having no save button

Zarttraz
September 2nd, 2020, 04:23
Also not getting a save button with the creation wizard

LaikenVakar
September 2nd, 2020, 11:48
Same issue here

WinterTide80
September 2nd, 2020, 15:11
Same issue here

FG_Wraith
September 2nd, 2020, 16:55
Hey guys, is the button there when you first start the wizard? It should be visible, but gray and disabled.

https://i.ibb.co/3mBCCSS/Save-Button.jpg

Zarttraz
September 2nd, 2020, 17:25
Nope, don't see it at all.

FG_Wraith
September 2nd, 2020, 17:25
Nope, don't see it at all.

Thanks, could you unselect the Official D&D theme and see if it appears in the default UI?

Zarttraz
September 2nd, 2020, 17:36
Still don't see

WinterTide80
September 2nd, 2020, 17:36
I'm not getting that Image at all

FG_Wraith
September 2nd, 2020, 17:55
Still don't see

I'm not getting that Image at all

Thanks guys, we're taking a look at it.

Moon Wizard
September 2nd, 2020, 22:23
Just pushed a hot fix to adjust the Save button not being visible in some situations.

Make sure to run a new Check For Updates.

Regards,
JPG

quirkygamer
September 3rd, 2020, 05:34
Hey FG_Wraith a few things.

I took your advice in another thread and opened the library and then dragged a feat to the character sheet I wanted to update. The feat is Elemental Resistance. It says you choose an elemental type when selecting the feat for bonuses against/with that elemental type. However, there was no ability to select an elemental type upon adding it to my character sheet. I looked all over and nothing. Not even when clicking on the little box.

I thought Tough might not have worked on another character. I removed it, the HP didn't decrease. I added it, they went up. I was curious so I deleted it, nothing happened with HP. I added it again, and the HP went up again. I now have a character with quite a bit more HP then he's supposed to have. Heads up on that as well.

Anyway when you do dice roll for character creation you could add an option to re-roll 1's?

When in the character creation I tried searching by "light" armor and it pulled up armor from all categories that had light in it. Any way to search by armor/weapon type? Or maybe allow for alphabetical armor/weapon class as a list?

LaikenVakar
September 3rd, 2020, 09:11
Thanks for the quick fix :)

Jarclan
September 3rd, 2020, 16:24
Hello!

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I'm trying to create a Dispater tiefling, from Mordenkainen's.

However, while other races are duplicated in the race screen, there is only one option for tielfing, which is the default from the Player's Handbook. There is also thiefling-variant, but that is the options from Sword Coast.

I cannot find a way to select dispater as the race without first disabling the Player's Handbook module. The problem with that technique is that I can't then pick the rogue class, because it is from player's.

Is there already a fix for this that I am overlooking?

Thank you

FG_Wraith
September 3rd, 2020, 18:00
Hey FG_Wraith a few things.

I took your advice in another thread and opened the library and then dragged a feat to the character sheet I wanted to update. The feat is Elemental Resistance. It says you choose an elemental type when selecting the feat for bonuses against/with that elemental type. However, there was no ability to select an elemental type upon adding it to my character sheet. I looked all over and nothing. Not even when clicking on the little box.

Yes, the drag and drop editing does not usually allow sub-choices. Typically what I do is just put the choice in parenthesis next to the feat name.

I thought Tough might not have worked on another character. I removed it, the HP didn't decrease. I added it, they went up. I was curious so I deleted it, nothing happened with HP. I added it again, and the HP went up again. I now have a character with quite a bit more HP then he's supposed to have. Heads up on that as well.

The drag and drop also does not check for removal of an item. It is solely concerned with the additive changes a user makes and not much else, this is one of the reasons the Wizard is being built. For now you'll need to manually change anything the drag and drop editing changed if you choose to remove an item you added.

Anyway when you do dice roll for character creation you could add an option to re-roll 1's?

Yep! When I can get everything solid enough, I will address options/house rules for generating a character.

When in the character creation I tried searching by "light" armor and it pulled up armor from all categories that had light in it. Any way to search by armor/weapon type? Or maybe allow for alphabetical armor/weapon class as a list?

That's a new one, I will see what I can do!

Thank you very much for your feedback, quirkygamer.

FG_Wraith
September 3rd, 2020, 18:07
Hello!

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I'm trying to create a Dispater tiefling, from Mordenkainen's.

However, while other races are duplicated in the race screen, there is only one option for tielfing, which is the default from the Player's Handbook. There is also thiefling-variant, but that is the options from Sword Coast.

I cannot find a way to select dispater as the race without first disabling the Player's Handbook module. The problem with that technique is that I can't then pick the rogue class, because it is from player's.

Is there already a fix for this that I am overlooking?

Thank you

Just checked and it is not working as it should just as you say. I'll be taking a look at this immediately. Thank you very much for this, Jarclan.

Sichu2
September 6th, 2020, 08:16
I tried creating a Sorcerer with the Divine Soul Sorcerous Origin. When it came time to select spells, I found that the only spells available in the Character Wizard were from the Sorcerer class. There were no Cleric spells to choose from. In addition, I noted that there was no option to choose an Affinity. I realize that the rule sets are voluminous and that it takes time to get all of the customization options programmed. Just wanted to mention it so that this could get added to a list for future updates. Thanks!

Moderator: Move to here for better exposure

quirkygamer
September 6th, 2020, 18:42
I just had a friend create their character and they chose artificer. As the GM I'm not seeing artificer when I try to create a character but everyone else can. It turned out I had to add the player's version of the Ebberon book. Turns out the GM manuals don't have all classes/races it looks like it. Also, the artificer can't infuse any items. Is there a way to let the artificer infuse items on their character sheet or when they roll attack/damage? Also, at third level the character they chose should have certain spells. The player sees the mention of it under abilities, but then under actions the spells aren't there to use without dragging and dropping like you mentioned in a previous post of mine. Will this be updated later do you think?

Zacchaeus
September 6th, 2020, 18:56
I just had a friend create their character and they chose artificer. As the GM I'm not seeing artificer when I try to create a character but everyone else can. It turned out I had to add the player's version of the Ebberon book. Turns out the GM manuals don't have all classes/races it looks like it. Also, the artificer can't infuse any items. Is there a way to let the artificer infuse items on their character sheet or when they roll attack/damage?

In the Eberron module only the player version has the class information to enable the players to create characters. Generally the DM doesn't need to have any player material open unless they are going to be creating characters themselves. Most of the things that an artificer can infuse are in magic items in the players module - so all they need do is drag the item into their inventory and equip them. The only exception to this is the infusion which allows them to replicate a magic item - those items are in the Dungeon Master's Guide - so again they can be dragged into their inventory; but only by the DM since only the DM will have the DMG.

FG_Wraith
September 8th, 2020, 17:07
I tried creating a Sorcerer with the Divine Soul Sorcerous Origin. When it came time to select spells, I found that the only spells available in the Character Wizard were from the Sorcerer class. There were no Cleric spells to choose from. In addition, I noted that there was no option to choose an Affinity. I realize that the rule sets are voluminous and that it takes time to get all of the customization options programmed. Just wanted to mention it so that this could get added to a list for future updates. Thanks!

I just had a friend create their character and they chose artificer. As the GM I'm not seeing artificer when I try to create a character but everyone else can. It turned out I had to add the player's version of the Ebberon book. Turns out the GM manuals don't have all classes/races it looks like it. Also, the artificer can't infuse any items. Is there a way to let the artificer infuse items on their character sheet or when they roll attack/damage? Also, at third level the character they chose should have certain spells. The player sees the mention of it under abilities, but then under actions the spells aren't there to use without dragging and dropping like you mentioned in a previous post of mine. Will this be updated later do you think?

Thanks guys, I will take a look at those spell issues.

dbachen
September 9th, 2020, 02:09
When using the character creation wizard and creating a wood elf, the feature Fey Ancestry was not automatically added to the character sheet and had to be added manually afterwards. Not sure why it wasn't parsed from the book

MOD: Moved to Character Wizard Bug thread

dbachen
September 9th, 2020, 02:34
Halfling - Missing Brave
Halfling (Stout) - Missing Halfling Nimbleness

Self-explanatory. Neither is added to the character sheet

dbachen
September 9th, 2020, 03:09
Background Sailor - Missing Tool Navigator's Tools
Background Sailor - Missing Tool Vehicle (Water)

dbachen
September 9th, 2020, 03:13
Background Folk Hero - Missing Tool Artisan's Tools -- You get pick the toolset you want, but then the tools wasn't added to proficiencies. In my choice, I had chosen Potter's Tools.
Background Folk Hero - Missing Tool Vehicle (Land)

FG_Wraith
September 9th, 2020, 22:25
When using the character creation wizard and creating a wood elf, the feature Fey Ancestry was not automatically added to the character sheet and had to be added manually afterwards. Not sure why it wasn't parsed from the book

MOD: Moved to Character Wizard Bug thread

Halfling - Missing Brave
Halfling (Stout) - Missing Halfling Nimbleness

Background Sailor - Missing Tool Navigator's Tools
Background Sailor - Missing Tool Vehicle (Water)

Background Folk Hero - Missing Tool Artisan's Tools -- You get pick the toolset you want, but then the tools wasn't added to proficiencies. In my choice, I had chosen Potter's Tools.
Background Folk Hero - Missing Tool Vehicle (Land)

Thanks for the report. I'll take a look and add them in to test branch.

quirkygamer
September 13th, 2020, 22:00
Had a character who was creating a paladin. Just a few things we noticed: 1) there is no holy symbol in items for the PC to purchase; 2) PC can't choose a fighting style, we see the four options but one can't be selected; and 3) No options for the versatile weapons for the higher damage (it shows it under the stats but we couldn't change the dice over)

FG_Wraith
September 14th, 2020, 19:07
Had a character who was creating a paladin. Just a few things we noticed: 1) there is no holy symbol in items for the PC to purchase; 2) PC can't choose a fighting style, we see the four options but one can't be selected; and 3) No options for the versatile weapons for the higher damage (it shows it under the stats but we couldn't change the dice over)

1) there is no holy symbol in items for the PC to purchase

According to the PHB 'Holy Symbols' are the Amulet, Emblem, and the Reliquary. Those should be available to you under gear. If those aren't available to you please let me know.

2) PC can't choose a fighting style, we see the four options but one can't be selected

Thanks, currently the fighting style is just user information that is added to the fighting style feat. I do it by adding a parenthesis that contains the chosen style. As far as having the choice impact the character mechanically that's not yet in place but I would like to add that selection in the near future.

3) No options for the versatile weapons for the higher damage (it shows it under the stats but we couldn't change the dice over)

Another situation where the current method is to have two entries for the same weapon with differing damage values. I could put in a check for versatile weapons that put two versions of the weapon on the character sheet and automatically change the damage value for one but we're getting into specialized additions to the wizard which fall behind where we are currently with more generic changes and fixes.

Thanks for the suggestions, quirkygamer. The versatile weapon addition is a new suggestion, I'll give it some thought for a future update.

BaneTBC
September 15th, 2020, 05:37
I think the Versatile weapons handling should probably be something built into the game to handle it. So far the approaches that the modders have taken is to add an icon after the weapon name and the choice (Melee, Ranged, Thrown) with a hand, two hands and an offhand. This helps to cover normal use, versatile and the offhand to remove the damage bonus for two weapon fighting style. While I love the mods that handle it, having that build into the ruleset seems like a good solution overall (not necessarily an issue for the Character Wizard itself to handle).

CriticalRogue
September 22nd, 2020, 16:26
I've been searching the forums, but can't find the instructions. How do I launch the character builder in FGU?

LordEntrails
September 22nd, 2020, 16:46
I've been searching the forums, but can't find the instructions. How do I launch the character builder in FGU?
On the character selection screen their is a blue star at the bottom. Click that.

Mirdur
September 23rd, 2020, 01:43
Some Bugs I found:

A) The Save proficiencies granted by my class do not appear after I conclude the Character wizard

B) The spells selected do not appear in the action tab properly (it just appear the spell selected, but does not include the detailed spell action as it appears when you drag and drop the spell including the cast, attack and save)

BaneTBC
September 23rd, 2020, 07:55
@Mirdur Um on the first spell there did you click the magnifying glass on the right side of the spell to expand the effect? The fact that there is one at the end of the line means that there is something additional to the spell that is just collapsed and not currently expanded.

Mirdur
September 24th, 2020, 00:29
@Mirdur Um on the first spell there did you click the magnifying glass on the right side of the spell to expand the effect? The fact that there is one at the end of the line means that there is something additional to the spell that is just collapsed and not currently expanded.

Oops, my mistake for the second point.

ChoppyWAL99
September 24th, 2020, 03:47
I cant make a half orc soldier since they both get intimidation and I cant override the "Duplicate Skills" alert

FG_Wraith
September 25th, 2020, 01:38
Some Bugs I found:
The Save proficiencies granted by my class do not appear after I conclude the Character wizard

I cant make a half orc soldier since they both get intimidation and I cant override the "Duplicate Skills" alert

Thanks guys, both are fixed and should be in the test branch this week.

luigiHugs
September 26th, 2020, 21:32
@fg_wraith
Came across an issue when using character wizard today. I have the players handbook loaded, but neither I nor my player can add any of the cleric specializations. Any suggestions or help appreciated.

luigiHugs
September 26th, 2020, 21:37
@fg_wraith
Came across an issue when using character wizard today. I have the players handbook loaded, but neither I nor my player can add any of the cleric specializations. Any suggestions or help appreciated.

Just double checked, and it doesn't offer specialization for cleric, sorcerer, or warlock. However, the rest of the classes offer specialization if you increase the level.

FG_Wraith
September 27th, 2020, 18:00
Just double checked, and it doesn't offer specialization for cleric, sorcerer, or warlock. However, the rest of the classes offer specialization if you increase the level.

It should appear as soon as you select the class since those three choose their respective specializations at first level.

https://i.ibb.co/bQQ8V2d/Cleric-Spec.png

Are you at least seeing the skill choice?

luigiHugs
September 27th, 2020, 18:16
It should appear as soon as you select the class since those three choose their respective specializations at first level.

https://i.ibb.co/bQQ8V2d/Cleric-Spec.png

It doesn't pull up specialization for any of those 3. It does bring up skill options for them though.

Zacchaeus
September 27th, 2020, 18:45

I can reproduce this.

FG_Wraith
September 27th, 2020, 20:12
It doesn't pull up specialization for any of those 3. It does bring up skill options for them though.

I can reproduce this.

Thanks guys, I'll see about tracking this down.

humby
September 28th, 2020, 18:33
Been trying to add a custom background and found some issues with the character wizard:

Skills #1
If you have a skills section in your background description that contains the words "Choose" or "choice" but not the phrase "from among ", the wizard throws an error on line 436 of \charwizard\scripts\charwizard_backgroundwindow.lu a - bad argument #1 to 'gsub' (string expected, got nil). You can replicate this by setting the main tab of your background to contain only:

Skill: Choose two from: Acrobatics, Deception, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth

Tool:

Skills #2
If the background provides the option to select skills using the phrase "Choose <x> from among", the wizard displays the skill list twice, one after the other like so:

Acrobatics
Deception
Perception

Sleight of Hand
Stealth
Acrobatics

Deception
Perception
Sleight of Hand

Stealth

I believe that this is because the check on line 429 of charwizard_backgroundwindow.lua picks up the use of "from among" and populates the list and then the check on line 460 picks up on the use of "Choose" and repeats the process. Changing it to "Choice of two from among" removes the duplicate skill buttons but then adds the entire list (including the "Choice of two from among"!) to the skills list as soon as the background is selected because the check on line 450 can't find the "Choose" it's looking for.

Skills #3
Including the word "and" in the skill list without a preceding comma (e.g. Acrobatics, Deception and Perception) will cause the last two items to be merged (so it becomes "Acrobatics" and "Deception Perception"). In addition, setting "Sleight of Hand" as the second to last option will cause the "and" to be removed from that, too (i.e. Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand and Deception becomes "Acrobatics", "Sleight of HDeception")

Tools
When you are recording the tools proficiencies, specifying "Thieves Tools" doesn't add them to the list of proficiencies, whereas "Thieves' Tools" does - but they then appear in the right-hand panel in the wizard as "Thieves Tools".

Languages
If you have a languages section in your background description, but it isn't followed by the exact term "Equipment:", the wizard throws an error on line 522 of \charwizard\scripts\charwizard_backgroundwindow.lu a - bad argument #1 to 'lower' (string expected, got nil). You can see this by simply setting the main tab of your background to contain only:

Languages: One of your choice.

FG_Wraith
September 29th, 2020, 17:52
Been trying to add a custom background and found some issues with the character wizard:

Those are some great catches. Some of it is just having to settle on a particular parse key-word structure that fits the WOTC syntax style, and the other part is getting changes to that style that needed to be included after the original logic is set. But hey, anytime I can clean up some script errors is a win. So, big thanks for the help!

humby
October 1st, 2020, 00:17
Came across something else whilst trying a few things for a game tomorrow:

Selecting the High Elf subrace and then switching to either the Drow or Wood Elf subraces throws the following error:

Script execution error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard_racewindow.lu..."]:366: attempt to index local 'vSelectSubrace' (a userdata value)

FG_Wraith
October 4th, 2020, 20:55
Came across something else whilst trying a few things for a game tomorrow:

Selecting the High Elf subrace and then switching to either the Drow or Wood Elf subraces throws the following error:

Script execution error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard_racewindow.lu..."]:366: attempt to index local 'vSelectSubrace' (a userdata value)

Thanks Humby.
This one is taking a bit longer to track down, as it's only in FGU and it's due to the stricter way FGU handles datasets. As soon as I have a fix for it though, I'll post again.

Ficklespark
October 5th, 2020, 20:14
Found an interesting occurrence. When using the Character Wizard in FGU, if one creates a character over level 3, and after changing tabs goes back and edits the level to a number over 3 again the "Feats" tab will create a new Feat entry for the same level for each time the level was edited. This also happens if one changes class and gives it a level over 3, not only if one edits just the level.

(Not to mention it assumes feats are enabled, as is the Human Variant race, when that should be authorized by the DM, but that's a missing feature, not a bug)

Ficklespark
October 5th, 2020, 20:26
And something that may be a bug or just a missing feature:
Features the player must select, other than spells and specializations (like choosing combat maneuvers for the Battle Master, or Totemic Barbarian options) aren't available in the Character Wizard.

FG_Wraith
October 8th, 2020, 01:01
Found an interesting occurrence. When using the Character Wizard in FGU, if one creates a character over level 3, and after changing tabs goes back and edits the level to a number over 3 again the "Feats" tab will create a new Feat entry for the same level for each time the level was edited. This also happens if one changes class and gives it a level over 3, not only if one edits just the level.

(Not to mention it assumes feats are enabled, as is the Human Variant race, when that should be authorized by the DM, but that's a missing feature, not a bug)

Thanks. Looks like that one slipped in when I added the level up feature.

quirkygamer
October 8th, 2020, 06:10
I'm running a custom D&D game and trying to create NPCs via the character wizard tool. I don't have any of the player's versions of the books enabled as I found that created doubles and triples of some entries, yet now without player books selected I'm missing out on races, feats, classes, and more. Is there a way that all the info from the players materials could also be in the DM guides? Also, when I went in to increase a character's level nothing happened. Do you know when players will be able to increase their level and things like HPs, abilities, etc... will be updated on the character sheet?

humby
October 8th, 2020, 08:30
Also, when I went in to increase a character's level nothing happened. Do you know when players will be able to increase their level and things like HPs, abilities, etc... will be updated on the character sheet?
When you increased the level, how did you do it? Did you just update the number of levels against the class, as highlighted in the image below?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40030&d=1602142036

If so, that doesn't update things - you need to either drag whatever class the new level is in to the character sheet or click the level up button (see image below).
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40031&d=1602142105

LordEntrails
October 8th, 2020, 16:18
I'm running a custom D&D game and trying to create NPCs via the character wizard tool. I don't have any of the player's versions of the books enabled as I found that created doubles and triples of some entries, yet now without player books selected I'm missing out on races, feats, classes, and more. Is there a way that all the info from the players materials could also be in the DM guides? Also, when I went in to increase a character's level nothing happened. Do you know when players will be able to increase their level and things like HPs, abilities, etc... will be updated on the character sheet?
If you are creating PCs, then you need the Player versions of products loaded. Yes you will have duplicate entries, not sure if this is being worked on for the Wizard, but it is standard/normal for non-Wizard creation.

FG_Wraith
October 8th, 2020, 17:52
not sure if this is being worked on for the Wizard

It is, but as the first effort I made in this direction inadvertently omitted some data, I'm taking this pass a bit more cautiously. I should have something to show in the next update or two.

Voltaris
October 10th, 2020, 21:49
Hello,

One of my players is receiving the following error message when atempting to level their character:

script execution error: [string "charwiazard/scripts/charwizard.lua"]:1458: attempt to perform arithmetic on field '?' (a nil value)

Their FG is fully updated, and I'm not sure how to correct this. Any ideas?

MOD: moved to CW Bug Report Thread

LordEntrails
October 10th, 2020, 21:52
Welcome!

Script errors are usually due to extensions. Have you verified the issue when no extensions are loaded? Also, given this is with the Character Wizard in 5E, it might be something with the CW itself. But, it's been requested by the CW developer that issues related to the CW get posted in this thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?60435-5E-Character-Wizard-Bug-Reports-(2020)

Voltaris
October 10th, 2020, 21:53
Welcome!

Script errors are usually due to extensions. Have you verified the issue when no extensions are loaded? Also, given this is with the Character Wizard in 5E, it might be something with the CW itself. But, it's been requested by the CW developer that issues related to the CW get posted in this thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?60435-5E-Character-Wizard-Bug-Reports-(2020)

I'll check that thread out, and see if they can test with no extensions. Thanks!

LordEntrails
October 10th, 2020, 21:55
I'll check that thread out, and see if they can test with no extensions. Thanks!
(lol, you replied while I was moving it to the thread. Tied this all up :))

Voltaris
October 10th, 2020, 21:55
Edited: moved here while I was posting. :D My bad!

cboillot
October 12th, 2020, 05:09
Thanks guys, both are fixed and should be in the test branch this week.

FYI, still not seeing the Saving Throw Proficiencies.

BangsNaughtyBits
October 12th, 2020, 15:37
A couple bugs. I just picked up Volo's Guide due to the sale and have two issues. If I use the Orc race from Volo's, but not the Orc from Eberon) it throws a log error but continues. It might be due to a recent change removing the intelligence penalty.

And if I select Triton from Volo's guide as a race in the character wizard, it has no ability score modifiers while it should have three.

None are huge deals but I thought I would mention them.

!

Zacchaeus
October 12th, 2020, 21:12
The error for the Orc seems to actually be caused by the skill choice (which also changed recently) rather than anything to do with the ability scores. For the Triton, the wording used doesn't even work with drag and drop so I'll need to change that. Not sure why it is worded the way it is since I'm fairly sure that wording would never have worked.

Cfloyd18
October 12th, 2020, 23:35
Thanks guys, I'll see about tracking this down.

I was curious if this was tracked down? I thought it might have been due to the previous update. I played with it a good month or so ago and build a Forge Cleric. However, when I want back to play with it again today I see it is not there. It seems to have disappeared in the last two updates at least I believe. It still works if you manually create your Character from scratch. You can still add them manually after you create a Character using the wizard of course. But starts defeating the purpose then.

Noticed that the Cleric I made using the Wizard, did not get proficient in their Wisdom or Charisma Saving throw.

When you use the Wizard for applying your spells, it goes by spell slots and not the number of spells you can prepare daily. IE, my character had a WIS of 18 (+4) at level 4 after an ASI boost... A cleric knows the amount of spells of Wis Mod + Level. It doesn't inform the player they CAN choose extra spells. The Wizard will allow it, but give a nice "-1" in your spell slots.

FG_Wraith
October 13th, 2020, 17:26
FYI, still not seeing the Saving Throw Proficiencies.

They should work in the test branch. I tested again just to be sure and I got the Saving Throw Proficiencies on the output character.

I was curious if this was tracked down?

Yes, the fix is in, I just made all three and the specialization window came up for all of them, again this is in the test branch. Are you using live or do you see this in Test?

The error for the Orc seems to actually be caused by the skill choice

Yep, thanks for the find, I'll get that fixed.

Cfloyd18
October 14th, 2020, 16:53
They should work in the test branch. I tested again just to be sure and I got the Saving Throw Proficiencies on the output character.

Yes, the fix is in, I just made all three and the specialization window came up for all of them, again this is in the test branch. Are you using live or do you see this in Test?

I am using Live I believe. As I don't think i've been given any access to the Test connection/Server. So just waiting for this to get pushed back down to us I guess?

LordEntrails
October 14th, 2020, 17:46
I am using Live I believe. As I don't think i've been given any access to the Test connection/Server. So just waiting for this to get pushed back down to us I guess?
On the FG launch screen is a settings button. Depending upon FGC/FGU their is then an option for "Channel". It will default to "Live" and that is where you want to run your games from. But for testing you can change it to "Test" and then run an update. Be aware in FGU anything you do in Test will not normally be accessible in Live (i.e. it makes copies of your campaign data). In FGC you should use a test campaign, just in case Test changes something detrimental to your campaign.

FG_Wraith
October 14th, 2020, 17:49

Yes, it's in testing right now to make sure it doesn't introduce other bugs and works as intended. If you want to test things yourself, you do have access to the test branch. Just hit settings and in FGU click the ADVANCED tab and choose 'Test' from the build channel drop down menu. In FGC click the 'Test' radio button in the mode group at the bottom. Then in both cases allow the program to complete the update, and you'll be in the test environment. When you want to return to the live environment just do the same but choose live instead and let the program update.

Zacchaeus
October 14th, 2020, 17:49

You can use the Test channel any time you want. Go into settings and in the advanced tab click on the Build Channel drop down and select Test and then update FG. Be aware that if you remain on test then all of your players will also need to switch to test. You can go back to live at any time by reversing the process Settings > Advanced > Live.

FG_Wraith
October 14th, 2020, 17:51
WONDER HELP TEAM POWERS ACTIVATE! Form of: Triple Answer!

As an aside, the fix for Volo's Orcs and Tritons has been added to dev. It should make it to test on the next test update.

Cfloyd18
October 14th, 2020, 19:53
@FG_Wraith

I noticed you had two different Threads for this... This one and "5E Character Wizard Beta" that seems to be bugs too. I noticed the other one was also talking about the Duplicate Skill issue based upon Race and Background. Has this also been resolved in the testing area? Thanks!

FG_Wraith
October 14th, 2020, 20:37
@FG_Wraith

I noticed you had two different Threads for this... This one and "5E Character Wizard Beta" that seems to be bugs too. I noticed the other one was also talking about the Duplicate Skill issue based upon Race and Background. Has this also been resolved in the testing area? Thanks!

Yes. If a background gives you an automatic skill that is not a choice and you already have that skill then a skill selection window will appear in the background choices windowlist allowing you to choose a replacement.

Cfloyd18
October 14th, 2020, 20:41
That would be a negative then. It is not working. I just tried the Half-Orc / Soldier combination and the Skill Replacement option does not appear.

FG_Wraith
October 14th, 2020, 20:54
Could you describe what you did to generate that character? Also, can you double-check that your are in the test branch?

It seems to be working for me in FGU and FGC, and correctly gives a list of choices excluding the skills you already have:

https://i.ibb.co/N9y366T/Half-Orc-Soldier.png

Cfloyd18
October 14th, 2020, 20:59
This is in the Live Branch... not test branch. I was just seeing if these were being pushed out in the next update and such. That's why i brought it up since the first time was back in March or May I believe. So along with the missing Domains, this will also get pushed out in the next big update?

FG_Wraith
October 14th, 2020, 21:24
This is in the Live Branch... not test branch. I was just seeing if these were being pushed out in the next update and such. That's why i brought it up since the first time was back in March or May I believe. So along with the missing Domains, this will also get pushed out in the next big update?

Yea, the first fix was a separate window that popped up when you had a duplicate and I wasn't happy with the lack of consistency with the established UI workflow so I reworked it into a simplified method that was a bit more seamless. As far as when the next live update is, I don't know, but it should be soon.

esmdev
October 15th, 2020, 20:29
Hi.

Today using the current release version of FGU/5E a player was creating a tiefling/warlock and completed the wizard through the spells section. They clicked the save button and generated an error.

Edit: Player also added that the wizard didn't close though the hover over button says Save & Close. Everything on the character did save despite the error and non-closing.
Edit2: It did not apparently add the spells to the character sheet.

FG_Wraith
October 16th, 2020, 01:44
Hi.

Today using the current release version of FGU/5E a player was creating a tiefling/warlock and completed the wizard through the spells section. They clicked the save button and generated an error.

Edit: Player also added that the wizard didn't close though the hover over button says Save & Close. Everything on the character did save despite the error and non-closing.
Edit2: It did not apparently add the spells to the character sheet.

You wouldn't happen to still have the uncropped version of that screentshot would you? I'm seeing some information from the top edge that could be useful.

EllivasKram
October 22nd, 2020, 23:17
Hi. I was wondering if the Char Wizard is yet supporting lvl’ing existing characters now.
I’m using FGU(Live)

I can’t figure out how to choose ability score improvement and then choose what Stats to improve. I was lvl’ing a rogue from lvl 5 -> 6. And another lvl3 -> 4.
Also how do you become ‘Expert’ on skills (double star). In the wizard.

FG_Wraith
October 23rd, 2020, 01:50
Hi. I was wondering if the Char Wizard is yet supporting lvl’ing existing characters now.
I’m using FGU(Live)

I can’t figure out how to choose ability score improvement and then choose what Stats to improve. I was lvl’ing a rogue from lvl 5 -> 6. And another lvl3 -> 4.
Also how do you become ‘Expert’ on skills (double star). In the wizard.

Yes you can, the ASIs are chosen on the Feats page, but instead of selecting a feat you click the Ability Score Improvement button and then select one or two abilities to improve. They will appear on the Stats page when selected for a total of your ability score improvements, race adjustments and base ability scores.

As far as rogue expertise you still have to do that after the wizard saves your character, but will be changed soon.

esmdev
October 23rd, 2020, 05:38
You wouldn't happen to still have the uncropped version of that screentshot would you? I'm seeing some information from the top edge that could be useful.

Sorry, that came from a player who only saved the original.

EllivasKram
October 23rd, 2020, 07:21
Ok. I’ll have another try. Can you make it so it stops asking for RACE/Subrace and background. So the buttons just are not selectable.

Should you be using the next/prev buttons ?

FG_Wraith
October 23rd, 2020, 17:55
Ok. I’ll have another try. Can you make it so it stops asking for RACE/Subrace and background. So the buttons just are not selectable.

That isn't intended. It shouldn't let you interact with race or background at all during level up.

Should you be using the next/prev buttons ?

...and this is why it is. I'll get this fixed so that next/prev check if they are in level up mode. Currently they aren't checking for a difference. Thanks for pointing this out.

Astrayalis
October 27th, 2020, 01:53
Forgive me if it's already been addressed.

- I assume custom classes, background, and races are still not supported fully. Is it possible to add a notice of some sort? (Totally spent a couple hours tampering with things before reading up in the forums).
- Are there plans to choose items based on class starting item choices?
- Are there plans for Backgrounds to add to your inventory?

FG_Wraith
October 27th, 2020, 03:17
Forgive me if it's already been addressed.

- I assume custom classes, background, and races are still not supported fully. Is it possible to add a notice of some sort? (Totally spent a couple hours tampering with things before reading up in the forums).
- Are there plans to choose items based on class starting item choices?
- Are there plans for Backgrounds to add to your inventory?

Currently not all custom features made in GM mode are being read correctly by the character wizard. For the ones that are working you do need to hold to a very specific text format as set by the official races, classes, and backgrounds. I am working on making the character wizard pick up the custom text syntax, although I don't have an estimate on when that will be completed. As far as the inventory system goes I do want to improve the current inventory system and add it to the level up feature so that you can add items looted or purchased as you increase in level as well as the starting packages.

Which of those were giving you problems in the character wizard, Classes, Backgrounds, or Races?

Astrayalis
October 27th, 2020, 19:16
Race-
Not keeping track of racial ability score increase, but I saw that that was addressed earlier
Don't think custom special movements is working following this specific language "https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48739-5e-Class-Background-Race-Feat-interpreted-strings"
Oddly enough Copying Races and editing is a work around I've noticed for racial abilities (despite from scratch and copied having the exact same text)

Background-
From Scratch Background will not register skills, Copied and Edited (Name and skills changed) Background will show still original set of skills

Classes-
I haven't quite gotten to this part. Not related to the wizard, but I'm still a bit confused as to how the base classes are set up. I would expect them to be comparable to races with archetype abilities attached to the archetype rather than the actual class, but I don't have the FG version of other archetype options to compare. Although I did notice that the base classes do not pass on Proficiencies from Archetypes (EX: Life Domain Cleric does not give heavy armor proficiency from the creation wizard)

FG_Wraith
October 27th, 2020, 20:00
Race-
Not keeping track of racial ability score increase, but I saw that that was addressed earlier
Don't think custom special movements is working following this specific language "https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48739-5e-Class-Background-Race-Feat-interpreted-strings"
Oddly enough Copying Races and editing is a work around I've noticed for racial abilities (despite from scratch and copied having the exact same text)

Yes, this is the big one I am fixing currently. I should have something soon on this.

Background-
From Scratch Background will not register skills, Copied and Edited (Name and skills changed) Background will show still original set of skills

This is fixed but I am still testing to make sure it hasn't broken anything else.

Classes-
I haven't quite gotten to this part. Not related to the wizard, but I'm still a bit confused as to how the base classes are set up. I would expect them to be comparable to races with archetype abilities attached to the archetype rather than the actual class, but I don't have the FG version of other archetype options to compare. Although I did notice that the base classes do not pass on Proficiencies from Archetypes (EX: Life Domain Cleric does not give heavy armor proficiency from the creation wizard)

I will take a closer look at this and make sure it all works. As far as the additional proficiencies for archetypes or even leveling up for that matter it's not even in base official classes, yet. I've done some previous passes to enable some but not all. That, also, should be coming soon, though.

Your reply helps me focus on what is seen most by you guys, so thank you very much.

stoehovve
October 28th, 2020, 00:12
@FG_Wraith, are you still looking for a crashlog for the warlock class when attempting to create a character via the wizard? If so, I ran into the same font related crash that was reported earlier, and managed to get some logs put together while attempting to create a human based Warlock.

FG_Wraith
October 28th, 2020, 01:10
@FG_Wraith, are you still looking for a crashlog for the warlock class when attempting to create a character via the wizard? If so, I ran into the same font related crash that was reported earlier, and managed to get some logs put together while attempting to create a human based Warlock.

Definitely. You can send me a pm with an image or link if you want.

BangsNaughtyBits
October 28th, 2020, 06:23
Minor bug I think. In the 5E Sword Coast Adventiurer's Guide, the Urban Bounty Hunter is supposed to have four skill options and they are duplicated in the Character Wizard for a total of eight. Doesn't show if I drag and drop the background. It doesn't seem to break anything.

!

astromath
October 28th, 2020, 15:55
The subraces of Tiefling from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes do not show up. The variants from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide does show up.

FG_Wraith
October 28th, 2020, 20:02
Thanks guys. The Tiefling one has a fix, but I was holding off using it to see if I could find something that wasn't so specific and could be more generalized. I'll get something put up for the Urban Bounty Hunter as well.

AngelusLA
November 6th, 2020, 16:13
Hi Last week while running the Tomb of Annihilation in the Omu map in the Ijins shrine (03.18.02 10b. Puzzle Floor) (trap Poison Darts) they are coded wrong i attacked one of the PC with one and the damage rolled too many dice i think about 16 1d4's instead of just the one I did not dare rool the 2d6 because it would kill the PC. I noticed that it had dots instead of comma's in front the damage on the piercing and poison damage rolls, once i replaced the dots with comma's it worked normally.

quirkygamer
November 7th, 2020, 21:20
I'm running a 5E campaign and just had my PCs level up (great lvl up button by the way). But no one can actually level up. I've attached a screenshot showing what they are seeing. I tried leveling up a NPC I custom created and it leveled the NPC up on the character sheet but in the PC tab (right side of the screen) it still shows their original level. Also, when they click save it creates a new blank character with their name on it in the PC tab.

FG_Wraith
November 7th, 2020, 22:53
I'm running a 5E campaign and just had my PCs level up (great lvl up button by the way). But no one can actually level up. I've attached a screenshot showing what they are seeing. I tried leveling up a NPC I custom created and it leveled the NPC up on the character sheet but in the PC tab (right side of the screen) it still shows their original level. Also, when they click save it creates a new blank character with their name on it in the PC tab.

Thanks Quirky. While I try to track that down, what module is sharpshooter from? I'll use it to try and replicate the error.

quirkygamer
November 7th, 2020, 23:57
Thanks Quirky. While I try to track that down, what module is sharpshooter from? I'll use it to try and replicate the error.

Player's Handbook. Also, I tried creating another NPC and leveling it. Hit points didn't move. I forgot but an NPC also shared they couldn't level their HP.

LordEntrails
November 8th, 2020, 01:17
When you say "NPC"... you don't mean an actual NPC as a FG data object type accessed through the 'NPC' button do you? Because those are not "Characters" and can't be managed through the Character Wizard.

Ramtrap
November 8th, 2020, 01:21
Thanks guys. The Tiefling one has a fix, but I was holding off using it to see if I could find something that wasn't so specific and could be more generalized. I'll get something put up for the Urban Bounty Hunter as well.

I'm not seeing *any* subraces showing when selecting a Tiefling in the character creation wizard, though I have the books open (PHB, MToF). I'm all the way updated.

Races.png = All races shown, but lists Aasimar twice
Elf.png = Seems to be fine, showing subraces
Dwarf.png = Seems to be fine, showing subraces
Tiefling.png = Does not show **any** subraces.

Is anyone else seeing this?

FG_Wraith
November 8th, 2020, 02:30
When you say "NPC"... you don't mean an actual NPC as a FG data object type accessed through the 'NPC' button do you? Because those are not "Characters" and can't be managed through the Character Wizard.

Good point. Quirky, I had assumed you meant a character you built that you were using as an NPC. If it is an actual NPC object, the Character Wizard can't load that. Which explains why the code is blowing up when it's checking for its ID. None the less, it's still something I need to fix, so that it recovers gracefully from a non-Character ID.

FG_Wraith
November 8th, 2020, 02:43
I'm not seeing *any* subraces showing when selecting a Tiefling in the character creation wizard, though I have the books open (PHB, MToF). I'm all the way updated.

Races.png = All races shown, but lists Aasimar twice
Elf.png = Seems to be fine, showing subraces
Dwarf.png = Seems to be fine, showing subraces
Tiefling.png = Does not show **any** subraces.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Thanks Ramtrap, that's something I am currently fixing and should be in test shortly.

quirkygamer
November 8th, 2020, 06:31

No. Sorry on the confusion. I custom created a character I'm using as a NPC. That's the one I tried it on. Not from the NPC button. Sorry, I'm custom running games and need to remember to clarify when I post on here. This was a character I used creating the character wizard in the PC tab. And all my players also created their characters using the character wizard and can't level their characters. They click save and a blank character sheet is put into the PC tab with their FGU ID as the owner.

FG_Wraith
November 8th, 2020, 23:46
No. Sorry on the confusion. I custom created a character I'm using as a NPC. That's the one I tried it on. Not from the NPC button. Sorry, I'm custom running games and need to remember to clarify when I post on here. This was a character I used creating the character wizard in the PC tab. And all my players also created their characters using the character wizard and can't level their characters. They click save and a blank character sheet is put into the PC tab with their FGU ID as the owner.

Can you zip up that campaign and send it to me?

Rivanknight220
November 9th, 2020, 01:57
I noticed that when using the Level Up button for a character, it does not add to Max HP. Am I missing something?

Sergprotector45
November 9th, 2020, 02:57
My players are struggling to level up using the wizard. i can level them up using it easy, but whenever any player attempts to we get this

i have no idea what to do and im trying to streamline creation and leveling for my new players.

Pepor
November 17th, 2020, 15:03
Hi there!

Sorry whether this has been asked before. The Character Wizard doesn't add the Skill Proficiencies automatically to the character sheet when you select a Background, does it?

Thanks in advance and nice job!

EDITED: Yes, now I see it. But only if you choose first your Class. If you choose your Background first, it doesn't.

humby
November 17th, 2020, 15:19
Hi there!

Sorry whether this has been asked before. The Character Wizard doesn't add the Skill Proficiencies automatically to the character sheet when you select a Background, does it?

EDITED: Yes, now I see it. But only if you choose first your Class. If you choose your Background first, it doesn't.

Can confirm - choosing your background first does not give you the skills that it should but choosing class then background behaves as expected.

Pepor
November 17th, 2020, 16:00
I think that it has to do whether the Skill Proficiencies field is filled when you select your Background. If you select a race such Human Variant, or Elf, which gives you an initial Skill Proficiency, then "first Background" and "then Class" works fine. Otherwise it doesn't.

Neovirtus
November 17th, 2020, 16:47
Not sure if this is a bug report or a feature request...

But when you are selecting class and subclass, the character wizard displays a link to the class page, but not the subclass (I tested on a lvl 3 Rogue, but I assume the same would be the case for a lvl 1 Cleric). It wouldn't be such a big deal if the class link went to the correct iteration of the class for the selected subclass - i.e. click the Soulknife sublass from the new TCoE, when you click the link next to Rogue, bring up Rogue from Tasha's. But the Class link always brings up the PHB class, which is fine, but there is no easy way to look at the subclass options, you instead have to go hunting for it through the Class sidebar button on the tabletop.

See image

Neovirtus
November 17th, 2020, 18:18
I also don't see any way to implement the Customized Origin ability score features from Ch.1 of Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. Not sure if you've thought about implementing that, but I believe one simple way would be to add a checkbox to the Racial Adjustment section of the Stats page that allows you to rearrange them the same way you can with the Ability Scores. Maybe if you check that box it adds a Racial Feature to your character sheet just to denote that you have modified your Origin.

FG_Wraith
November 18th, 2020, 01:10
Hi there!

Can confirm - choosing your background first does not give you the skills that it should but choosing class then background behaves as expected.

I think that it has to do whether the Skill Proficiencies field is filled when you select your Background. If you select a race such Human Variant, or Elf, which gives you an initial Skill Proficiency, then "first Background" and "then Class" works fine. Otherwise it doesn't.

Thanks guys, I am currently addressing the problem with level up saves, but I will take a look at the process order to make sure it happens if either is selected first.

FG_Wraith
November 18th, 2020, 01:11
Not sure if this is a bug report or a feature request...

But when you are selecting class and subclass, the character wizard displays a link to the class page, but not the subclass (I tested on a lvl 3 Rogue, but I assume the same would be the case for a lvl 1 Cleric). It wouldn't be such a big deal if the class link went to the correct iteration of the class for the selected subclass - i.e. click the Soulknife sublass from the new TCoE, when you click the link next to Rogue, bring up Rogue from Tasha's. But the Class link always brings up the PHB class, which is fine, but there is no easy way to look at the subclass options, you instead have to go hunting for it through the Class sidebar button on the tabletop.

See image

Oops, looks like I overlooked that when I fixed it for the link on the character sheet but didn't fix it in the choice list. thanks, I'll get that cleaned up.

FG_Wraith
November 18th, 2020, 01:13
I also don't see any way to implement the Customized Origin ability score features from Ch.1 of Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. Not sure if you've thought about implementing that, but I believe one simple way would be to add a checkbox to the Racial Adjustment section of the Stats page that allows you to rearrange them the same way you can with the Ability Scores. Maybe if you check that box it adds a Racial Feature to your character sheet just to denote that you have modified your Origin.

There should be an option to select Custom Lineage in the list of races. If you choose that, then it will give you the options available.

edit: Ahh, sorry. You mean the value change from one attribute to another. Right, that one was left for the final character sheet since it was basically an even shift of 1 point from the listed attribute to whatever the DM approved. I didn't want to automate that directly since it was more of a player/DM discussion type situation.

Neovirtus
November 18th, 2020, 01:15
Great thanks!

MidnightInk
November 18th, 2020, 03:53
This is my first time using FG, but this is definitely a bug. I created a new campaign, loadd the 5e SRD and created a new character using the character creation wizard. I can select races and choose stats etc, but when I open the class tab I get an error message. The list of classes is empty.
[11/17/2020 8:50:05 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_races) does not exist

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

[11/17/2020 8:50:05 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_stats) does not exist

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

[11/17/2020 8:50:05 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_class) does not exist

[11/17/2020 8:50:05 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_back) does not exist

[11/17/2020 8:50:05 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_feats) does not exist

[11/17/2020 8:50:05 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_import) does not exist

[11/17/2020 8:50:08 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard_classwindow.l..."]:68: attempt to index local 'aTashas' (a nil value)

loomisc78
November 18th, 2020, 04:57
This is my first time using FG, but this is definitely a bug. I created a new campaign, loadd the 5e SRD and created a new character using the character creation wizard. I can select races and choose stats etc, but when I open the class tab I get an error message. The list of classes is empty.
[11/17/2020 8:50:05 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_races) does not exist

[11/17/2020 8:50:05 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_stats) does not exist

[11/17/2020 8:50:05 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_class) does not exist

[11/17/2020 8:50:05 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_back) does not exist

[11/17/2020 8:50:05 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_feats) does not exist

[11/17/2020 8:50:05 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_import) does not exist

[11/17/2020 8:50:08 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard_classwindow.l..."]:68: attempt to index local 'aTashas' (a nil value)

I have the same issue. I tried various themes to make sure it wasn't a theme issue.

FG_Wraith
November 18th, 2020, 06:26

I have the same issue. I tried various themes to make sure it wasn't a theme issue.

I put a fix in for this a few hours ago. It should be live shortly. Thanks for the bug report.

funfair91
November 18th, 2020, 07:07
[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard_classwindow.l..."]:68: attempt to index local 'aTashas' (a nil value)

I am having this issue whenever I select a class.

Edit: Sorry, did not notice that it was being fixed. However, at this point in time, the error is still persist

FG_Wraith
November 18th, 2020, 07:23
I am having this issue whenever I select a class.

Edit: Sorry, did not notice that it was being fixed. However, at this point in time, the error is still persist

Yep, you'll see the update button light up before it is fixed.

funfair91
November 18th, 2020, 07:41
Yep, you'll see the update button light up before it is fixed.

So do I just press the update button?

FG_Wraith
November 18th, 2020, 07:55
So do I just press the update button?

When an update is available the button will get a red border (FGU). Press it then, and it will download the patch. This won't be happening until late today (Nov 18 EST) at the soonest, btw.

funfair91
November 18th, 2020, 07:57
When an update is available the button will get a red border (FGU). Press it then, and it will download the patch. This won't be happening until late today (Nov 18 EST) at the soonest, btw.

Noted, thank you for your quick reply

cevikd
November 18th, 2020, 19:47
I just used the Character Wizard to create a Warlock Hexblade and I noticed it didn't automatically give me the Martial, Shield or Medium Armor proficiencies that that subclass gains.

EDIT: Actually if I make the Hexblade without using the wizard I notice the same thing. So probably a parsing issue with the subclass and not related to the Character Wizard?

loomisc78
November 18th, 2020, 22:29
So today I updated and tried to use the wizard. I am not sure if you have patched this yet or not. When I used the wizard today, I was actually able to complete a character using the wizard but when I attempted to save the character something odd happened.

First it created "a" character and added them to the PC screen. However the character created lacks the class and race selected along with associated options such as skills, features, traits ect. It also gave the following error to the console;

[11/18/2020 4:24:45 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_races) does not exist
[11/18/2020 4:24:45 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_stats) does not exist
[11/18/2020 4:24:45 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_class) does not exist
[11/18/2020 4:24:45 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_back) does not exist
[11/18/2020 4:24:45 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_feats) does not exist
[11/18/2020 4:24:45 PM] [WARNING] bitmapwidget: Logical icon (tab_import) does not exist
[11/18/2020 4:24:51 PM] [WARNING] windowlist: Could not find empty font () in control (abilityscore_improvements) in class (charwizard_stats_contents)
[11/18/2020 4:26:53 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard.lua"]:1960: attempt to index local 'aTashas' (a nil value)
[11/18/2020 4:26:53 PM] [WARNING] Frame tabs contains out-of-range values in BottomLeft.

FG_Wraith
November 19th, 2020, 01:52
So today I updated and tried to use the wizard. I am not sure if you have patched this yet or not. When I used the wizard today, I was actually able to complete a character using the wizard but when I attempted to save the character something odd happened.

First it created "a" character and added them to the PC screen. However the character created lacks the class and race selected along with associated options such as skills, features, traits ect. It also gave the following error to the console;

I just put a fix in for this. It should work fine after the next update. Thanks for the report.

funfair91
November 19th, 2020, 02:12
New error, this happens when selecting any class and the level dropdown is empty expect default value of 1

[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "level"]:16: attempt to call field 'setClassLevel' (a nil value)

FG_Wraith
November 19th, 2020, 03:01
New error, this happens when selecting any class and the level dropdown is empty expect default value of 1

What were you doing (creating or leveling a character for instance) when the error happened and what modules did you have loaded?

funfair91
November 19th, 2020, 09:44
What were you doing (creating or leveling a character for instance) when the error happened and what modules did you have loaded?

I am currently out right now, but I can't remember what module I added. But this happened during character creation.

Rivanknight220
November 19th, 2020, 16:46
Is there any more info as to why the Max HP isn't changing when I level up a character?

FG_Wraith
November 19th, 2020, 20:22
Is there any more info as to why the Max HP isn't changing when I level up a character?

It's one of the outstanding issues I am currently working on. I needed to address the Tasha's script errors immediately, though.

Rivanknight220
November 19th, 2020, 20:23
It's one of the outstanding issues I am currently working on. I needed to address the Tasha's script errors immediately, though.

No worries! I was more concerned that I was borking something up myself!

stoehovve
November 19th, 2020, 23:24
@FG_Wraith, I've identified a few more issues with the character creation wizard in relation to the new supplement Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, specific to the custom lineage race, and Artificer class. I'm going to PM you some more Dropbox links. I also have a YT video that is not yet released (still editing) that I ran into these issues with, if you want to get a more complete context once I publish the video.

BangsNaughtyBits
November 20th, 2020, 00:10
Minor bug: Creating an Artificer from Tasha's (Eberron not loaded) has a skill named:

Sleight Of Handchoose Two From Arcana

!

FG_Wraith
November 20th, 2020, 03:04
@FG_Wraith, I've identified a few more issues with the character creation wizard in relation to the new supplement Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, specific to the custom lineage race, and Artificer class. I'm going to PM you some more Dropbox links. I also have a YT video that is not yet released (still editing) that I ran into these issues with, if you want to get a more complete context once I publish the video.

Yes, that would be extremely helpful, thank you.

FG_Wraith
November 20th, 2020, 03:05
Minor bug: Creating an Artificer from Tasha's (Eberron not loaded) has a skill named:

Sleight Of Handchoose Two From Arcana

!

Thanks, I'll get that fixed with these changes.

valkroth
November 20th, 2020, 15:32
Thanks for this awesome tool!
I'm not having any luck with ability scores on custom races. I know this has been addressed before, but I wanted to make sure that I'm not doing something wrong in my custom race creation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! If not, thanks again for the wizard!

edit: the custom races work fine with the drag and drop method.

GM Joe
November 21st, 2020, 05:44
Moderator: Moved to Wizard bugs thread.

Greetings,

I am hoping someone can help me out here as I cannot figure out what is going on with leveling in my campaign. I am running FG Classic Ultimate to host a game for my Friday night group as we are returning to my campaign after a break. When my group tries to make their characters we have run into a problem where they cannot level up past Level 10. I have tried to go in to level them up beyond 10 and the dropdown menu is blank. On top of that I ran into a strange issue that if they drag and drop their class onto their current class it will level them up, however, the problem is that it will add a feature multiple times. For example, I tested it out by making a level 10 fighter, when I drag Fighter onto the class it will put it to Fighter 11, then add the Tough feat automatically. When I do it again, it will level them to 12 but will once again add the Tough Feat. I did this all the way to Level 20 and it adds it every single time, there is no other option for them to level manually beyond Level 10.

I am currently updated to FGC v3.3.12 ULTIMATE, the only modules I have loaded are D&D 5e Basic Rules, Players Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Xanathar's Guide, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes - Players, and Volo's Guide.

Ruleset: D&D 5e

Extensions/Themes: FG Wood

Modules Loaded: D&D 5e Basic Rules, Players Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Xanathar's Guide, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes - Players, and Volo's Guide.

Operating System: Windows 10

Steps to reproduce: every time we make a character.

Any help to resolve this issue would be great.

FG_Wraith
November 22nd, 2020, 00:38
Any help to resolve this issue would be great.

Hey GM Joe, thanks for the bug report. There's a bug in the calculation of the remaining levels available to the character when attempting to level up. It's part of the group of errors I am working on currently. I should have something out soon that will fix it.

Tatas
November 22nd, 2020, 03:31
Hello, my players are getting ready to play The Fall of Elturel module. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/329398/Baldurs-Gate-The-Fall-of-Elturel-Fantasy-Grounds

I've made the three backgrounds in the module Public for the players, but one of them is throwing an error in the character wizard. The other two work fine. When choosing the Hellrider background, the error Script execution error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard_backgroundwin..."]:468: bad argument #1 to 'gsub' (string expected, got nil) is thrown. Thanks!~

LordEntrails
November 22nd, 2020, 05:05
Hello, my players are getting ready to play The Fall of Elturel module. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/329398/Baldurs-Gate-The-Fall-of-Elturel-Fantasy-Grounds

I've made the three backgrounds in the module Public for the players, but one of them is throwing an error in the character wizard. The other two work fine. When choosing the Hellrider background, the error Script execution error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard_backgroundwin..."]:468: bad argument #1 to 'gsub' (string expected, got nil) is thrown. Thanks!~
The SmiteWorks team generally does not have access to DMsG modules. You will probably need to have the DMsG Author either fix the issue or work with SW to get them the info the need.

Tatas
November 23rd, 2020, 02:09
The SmiteWorks team generally does not have access to DMsG modules. You will probably need to have the DMsG Author either fix the issue or work with SW to get them the info the need.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I'll reach out to the module creator. Keep up the great work!

razzed1
November 24th, 2020, 19:05
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I'll reach out to the module creator. Keep up the great work!

I am also working on this issue and have noticed that a similar error occurs in a few other products, as well, one of them being Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica.

Script execution error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard_backgroundwin..."]:315: bad argument #1 to 'gsub' (string expected, got nil) (GGtR, shows error, does not show skill choices, but shows language choices)
Script execution error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard_backgroundwin..."]:468: bad argument #1 to 'gsub' (string expected, got nil) (3rd Party - The Fall of Elturel [of which, I am the converter], shows error, no skills, no languages)
Script execution error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard_backgroundwin..."]:562: bad argument #1 to 'gsub' (string expected, got nil) (3rd PArty - Heroes of Baldur's Gate, shows error, no skills, no languages)
Possibly these errors are all related?
I will gladly work with Smiteworks or the Character Wizard creator to try and resolve these issues. Please just let me know what you need.

Thanks!

danstu
November 24th, 2020, 20:37
I'm seeing an issue with how the wizard calculates spell slots. If I level up a character, it gives them spell slots equal to the sum of the spell slots they would have at each level. For example, I just made a cleric. At level 1, it has the expected two 1st level slots. However, if I use the wizard to level the character to level 2, they have five 1st level slots. Rather than changing the number of spell slots to three, as it should, the wizard is instead giving the character three more spell slots. If I open the wizard up and save again without changing the level, the character gains an additional 3 slots each time I save. This happens at all levels. I made a lvl 20 character and used the level up menu again, and they gained extra slots for all spell levels. Scrolled through this thread and didn't see it reported, so not sure if I'm just doing something wrong.

I'm using a fully updated install of FGU on Win 10 x64 with an ultimate license, ran the updater to confirm no updates waiting. I made a test campaign with only the PHB loaded and confirmed it is happening there as well. Happens for all spellcasting classes. Can easily grab screenshots if my wording isn't clear.

Edit: Wanted to mention, drag and dropping from the classes button does not cause this bug.

LordEntrails
November 24th, 2020, 20:45
I'm seeing an issue with how the wizard calculates spell slots. If I level up a character, it gives them spell slots equal to the sum of the spell slots they would have at each level. ...

I'm using a fully updated install of FGU on Win 10 x64 with an ultimate license, ran the updater to confirm no updates waiting. I made a test campaign with only the PHB loaded and confirmed it is happening there as well. Happens for all spellcasting classes. Can easily grab screenshots if my wording isn't clear.
This is for "Super Heroic campaigns"! Just kidding :)

There was an update in the last few minutes. Can you verify if you are on 4.0.1 or 4.0.2?

danstu
November 24th, 2020, 20:59
Hah, how's that for timing? I swear I ran the updater right before posting. Update's downloading now, taking a while. I'll try again when it's done.

SilentRuin
November 24th, 2020, 21:03
The latest FGU update just busted my application - [11/24/2020 2:53:59 PM] [ERROR] Failed to load script buffer (CoreRPG) (CalendarManager): [string "scripts/manager_calendar.lua"]:298: unexpected symbol near 'then'
Granted its just a calendar and thus not that consequential - but as far as the calendar goes ... it's dead. (made a thread for this - in house of healing also - also posted to fgu_support discord - did not realize this thread was here).

Moon Wizard
November 24th, 2020, 21:05
As mentioned in the other thread where you reported, please update and try again.

JPG

danstu
November 24th, 2020, 22:35
This is for "Super Heroic campaigns"! Just kidding :)

There was an update in the last few minutes. Can you verify if you are on 4.0.1 or 4.0.2?

Updated to 4.0.2, still seeing same issue.

kod_connect
November 25th, 2020, 07:53
Hello

There is no "Custom Lineage" Race anymore in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything after 24th November update.

5E
Windows 10

MOD: moved to 5E bug report thread
Another Moderator: I suspect this is an issue with the Character Wizard so I've moved it here.

kod_connect
November 26th, 2020, 22:19
Sorry for duplicating my post. But I suspect Character Creator is missing Custom Lineage option because of the fact that there is no Races section in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything since last update.

Zacchaeus
November 26th, 2020, 22:35
Sorry for duplicating my post. But I suspect Character Creator is missing Custom Lineage option because of the fact that there is no Races section in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything since last update.

Ah, you are correct. I'll get that fixed for the next update.

aetuzcu
December 2nd, 2020, 12:55
Hi all,

I use FGC ultimate edition. When i press save button at char wizard. I got that error below.

Script Error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard.lua"]:1960: attempt to index local 'aTashas' (a nil value)

FG_Wraith
December 2nd, 2020, 15:05
Hi all,

I use FGC ultimate edition. When i press save button at char wizard. I got that error below.

Script Error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard.lua"]:1960: attempt to index local 'aTashas' (a nil value)

Hi, aetuzcu, Do you own the Tasha's Cauldron of Everything module? Also, what version of Fantasy Grounds are you currently using?

Poisonburger
December 2nd, 2020, 18:21
Hi, the Manage Characters section seems to be auto-deleting characters made with the Wizard. I assume this isn't intended?

In a related issue, it has deleted the entry in the Player Characters tab for the character which I have just made (see image@link below), so I assume closing the character sheet will mean I lose it forever? Anything I can do to avoid this??
https://gyazo.com/364509ee8d27c41b336bda78d9df44d1

Thanks

Poisonburger
December 2nd, 2020, 18:21
Post doubled, my apologies.

FG_Wraith
December 2nd, 2020, 20:10
Hi, the Manage Characters section seems to be auto-deleting characters made with the Wizard. I assume this isn't intended?

In a related issue, it has deleted the entry in the Player Characters tab for the character which I have just made (see image@link below), so I assume closing the character sheet will mean I lose it forever? Anything I can do to avoid this??
https://gyazo.com/364509ee8d27c41b336bda78d9df44d1

Thanks

The Character Wizard isn't meant to be used from the Character Manager. I should have prevented the button from appearing in that mode. It should only be used in GM or Client modes. I'll get that added to my things to fix. Thanks for the report.

However, if you need a way to save a character that still has the character sheet open (and is still in the character selection window) then you can export it (down arrow) and then re-import it. It should have all the pertinent data.

Poisonburger
December 2nd, 2020, 20:29
Thanks for responding.

However, if you need a way to save a character that still has the character sheet open (and is still in the character selection window) then you can export it (down arrow) and then re-import it. It should have all the pertinent data.

So should I assume that if the sheet is open, but the character isn't in the character selection window, then this is essentially already deleted, and there's nothing I can do?

FG_Wraith
December 2nd, 2020, 21:24
Thanks for responding.

So should I assume that if the sheet is open, but the character isn't in the character selection window, then this is essentially already deleted, and there's nothing I can do?

You could try to use the level up to save it. Go to the class subwindow and choose level up and then save it immediately. But if it was made in the Manage Characters mode, then most likely it did not save correctly in the first place.

Poisonburger
December 2nd, 2020, 23:19
You could try to use the level up to save it. Go to the class subwindow and choose level up and then save it immediately. But if it was made in the Manage Characters mode, then most likely it did not save correctly in the first place.

I had tried this, and unfortunately no luck with that. Thanks for all your help anyway, I do appreciate the work you all do :)

aetuzcu
December 3rd, 2020, 08:35
Hi, aetuzcu, Do you own the Tasha's Cauldron of Everything module? Also, what version of Fantasy Grounds are you currently using?

Hi FG_Wraith sorry for bothering, it was my mistake. After update error is gone. Thanks

FG_Wraith
December 3rd, 2020, 13:05
Hi FG_Wraith sorry for bothering, it was my mistake. After update error is gone. Thanks

No worries, glad it was an easy fix!

TheBluePsion
December 3rd, 2020, 21:02
So I just noticed this LVL UP button and in experimenting with it, it looks like it works really well except HP isn't being increased like it would using the manual method of dropping a class pin onto the character sheet. Am I missing something?

Moderator: Moved to wizard bug reports.

FG_Wraith
December 3rd, 2020, 21:22
So I just noticed this LVL UP button and in experimenting with it, it looks like it works really well except HP isn't being increased like it would using the manual method of dropping a class pin onto the character sheet. Am I missing something?

Moderator: Moved to wizard bug reports.

Thanks for the bug report. There's a problem with a few features in the level up at the moment, including HP, that I am fixing. There will be an update soon that will take care of it.

TheBluePsion
December 3rd, 2020, 22:02
Anytime and thank you!

quirkygamer
December 5th, 2020, 20:16
Thanks for the bug report. There's a problem with a few features in the level up at the moment, including HP, that I am fixing. There will be an update soon that will take care of it.

Are you also aware the ability scores aren't increasing with taking a feat? A couple players are running into that as well. For example heavy armor master should get a strength increase.

quirkygamer
December 5th, 2020, 20:22
College of Lore for Bards isn't giving players the ability to add three more proficiencies. They have to manually do it (which isn't really difficult for the player to do). Were you aware of this bug as well?

FG_Wraith
December 5th, 2020, 23:27
Were you aware of this bug as well?

No, I was not in either case. Thanks for the report Quirky. I don't know if they'll make it into the next update since I am in final bug testing, but I'll try to get them in.

Alloy Gentleman
December 6th, 2020, 16:49
In the Tasha's version of the Artificer Class, the skills choices in the Other tab reads "Choose two from Arcana, History, Investigation, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Sleight of HandChoose two from Arcana, History, Investigation, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Sleight of Hand" which causes a coice called "Sleight of HandChoose two from Arcana" to appear in the Character Wizard, it also has 2 different versions of the Artificer class as options in the Wizard as well one of which exhibits the above issue. The bolded text has been noted by Zacchaeus to be fixed in the 5e bug report thread already.

Additionally, within the Character Wizard, selecting the artificer class doesn't properly give a choice of tool proficiencies, it simply adds a proficiency called "One Type Of Artisan", and it doesn't properly add a proficiency for Tinker's Tools, it only adds a proficiency called "Tinker".

Finally, I'm not sure if this is supposed to be automated, but the Battle Smith subclass grants a Feature called Tool Proficiency which reads "When you adopt this specialization at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with smith's tools. If you already have this proficiency, you gain proficiency with one other type of artisan's tools of your choice.", however, the Character Wizard doesn't seem to automate adding these things, the same is true for the Martial weapon proficiency granted by the Battle Ready Feature.

I was told by Zacchaeus that the issues below the bolded issue were more appropriate for this thread.

FG_Wraith
December 6th, 2020, 17:09
I was told by Zacchaeus that the issues below the bolded issue were more appropriate for this thread.

They are, and thanks for the reports.

The concatenated skill name is already fixed, It's just bundled in with other fixes that are still in bug testing. The two different Artificers is going to be the case for now as items from different sources need to remain separate so that all options can be allowed (it's a situation I ran into with Hobgoblins under races, but it will be addressed in the future.) The syntax problem with Tinker's tools is new and I'll get that fixed. The final issue with a proficiency gained past first level is new functionality that I'll need to address in a future update. These are all very helpful, and thanks for the detailed report!

DookaDook
December 8th, 2020, 05:21
So I recreated the Firbolg class in FGU and, whenever I or the players use the Character Creation wizard, this error occurs when adding spells. I've narrowed it down to just being my custom race I made but I can't seem to find what is wrong with the "coding" of the race. I've also only tested this with using the cleric option in the creation wizard.
The Error in the log is [Error] Script execution error: [string"charwizard/scripts/charwizard_spelllist.lua"]:397: attempt to index field 'abilities' (a nil value)
Can you give any guidance?
Thank you.

Hopefully this picture helps. (And goes through)

FG_Wraith
December 8th, 2020, 13:11
So I recreated the Firbolg class in FGU and, whenever I or the players use the Character Creation wizard, this error occurs when adding spells. I've narrowed it down to just being my custom race I made but I can't seem to find what is wrong with the "coding" of the race. I've also only tested this with using the cleric option in the creation wizard.
The Error in the log is [Error] Script execution error: [string"charwizard/scripts/charwizard_spelllist.lua"]:397: attempt to index field 'abilities' (a nil value)
Can you give any guidance?
Thank you.

Hopefully this picture helps. (And goes through)

Could you PM me the text of the custom race you made? It's looks like there is some syntax or keyword order is causing an unexpected field to be brought into spell parsing.

nvguyy
December 15th, 2020, 07:17
I noticed that the character creation wizard has the resizing lines in the bottom right of the window but I can't resize it no matter how much I try. I know that there are other options like races that should be selectable but there is no way I can find to scroll through them, hence why I tried resizing. I even tried using CTRL without any luck. Seems like a bug?

BangsNaughtyBits
December 15th, 2020, 07:22
It would be useful to expand out the menus in Inventory so some of the cut off descriptions would be visible like damage die of weapons in many cases. Not sure if wo

!

FG_Wraith
December 15th, 2020, 14:36
I noticed that the character creation wizard has the resizing lines in the bottom right of the window but I can't resize it no matter how much I try. I know that there are other options like races that should be selectable but there is no way I can find to scroll through them, hence why I tried resizing. I even tried using CTRL without any luck. Seems like a bug?

I need to remove that for now. You're not the first to mention it. Right now we really don't want to make it expandable because it's already the biggest window in the software. Going forward we may reevaluate.

It would be useful to expand out the menus in Inventory so some of the cut off descriptions would be visible like damage die of weapons in many cases. Not sure if wo

!

That has been on my list for a while. I do plan to get an inventory update out soon!

fatmoocow
December 25th, 2020, 00:16
Hi Smiteworks, before anything, thanks for the Character Creation Wizard, amazingly useful even for new players.

I found that making a straight level 3 Beast Barbarian doesn't give it the subclass feat. I tried to make a Path of Wild Magic and there's no problem.

FG_Wraith
December 25th, 2020, 01:34
Hi Smiteworks, before anything, thanks for the Character Creation Wizard, amazingly useful even for new players.

I found that making a straight level 3 Beast Barbarian doesn't give it the subclass feat. I tried to make a Path of Wild Magic and there's no problem.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll get a fix in for the next patch.

Milmoor
December 25th, 2020, 08:58
Out of curiosity: why do you need to patch things? I assumed it uses the same parser as the regular "drag a class to your sheet" mechanism. But if that were true, it wouldn't need to be fixed.

Zacchaeus
December 25th, 2020, 09:43
Out of curiosity: why do you need to patch things? I assumed it uses the same parser as the regular "drag a class to your sheet" mechanism. But if that were true, it wouldn't need to be fixed.

I think you answered your own question there. There is a difference between dragging and dropping the class in three times to get to level three and just selecting a level from a dropdown.

FSHSchmo
December 29th, 2020, 03:04
Hail and well met. I am getting the following error when adding a custom race via the character wizard

Script execution error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard racewindow.lu"]:806 table index is nil

All the other custom races I made work perfectly.

fabiocm
December 29th, 2020, 03:18
Hello!

The rogue expertise section is'nt working. The player cannot select two expertise. When he select one, the other got unselected and the wizard can't proceed.

FG_Wraith
December 29th, 2020, 03:56
Hello!

The rogue expertise section is'nt working. The player cannot select two expertise. When he select one, the other got unselected and the wizard can't proceed.

Hey fabiocm,
I am not getting that problem. It allows me to select two or four expertise choices depending on the rogue's level.

Could you tell me more about what you're doing preceding the expertise selection? What modules you have loaded, etc.?

Also, try with just the Player's Handbook, and see if it still causes you a problem.

quirkygamer
December 29th, 2020, 04:56
Hey, it's me again. I was just creating an NPC in my campaign using the PC character wizard (for the record this is a character I'm creating in my game so it's the DM's custom character that is essential to the story line to be used as a NPC, hope that isn't confusing). I'm trying to create a halfling druid. I gave him the mace of smiting but when I went to the action tab on his profile there was no damage for the weapon. I then went in to edit the damage and it wasn't letting me select the damage dice or add anything despite clicking the edit button. Am I doing something wrong? Also, heads up the mace doesn't have any damage. I think it's a great book stopper, though! :)

FG_Wraith
December 29th, 2020, 05:12
Do you happen to know what module the mace of smiting is coming from? If not, I can look for it.

quirkygamer
December 29th, 2020, 08:16
Do you happen to know what module the mace of smiting is coming from? If not, I can look for it.

Hey FG_Wraith, good seeing you around again. Looks like I found it in Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Leave it to Halaster to have a Mace that does no damage!

fatmoocow
December 29th, 2020, 10:28
Hi Wraith, thanks for your previous support.

I'd like to make another report : creating a Draconic Bloodline sorcerer and Hexblade warlock from the character creator also does not give the characters their respective subclass features.

FG_Wraith
December 29th, 2020, 17:10
Hey FG_Wraith, good seeing you around again. Looks like I found it in Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Leave it to Halaster to have a Mace that does no damage!

Thanks quirky, I'll take a look at the source data.

Hi Wraith, thanks for your previous support.

I'd like to make another report : creating a Draconic Bloodline sorcerer and Hexblade warlock from the character creator also does not give the characters their respective subclass features.

Will be making some sublclass additions in the next week, I'll add this in. Thank you for the report.

fatmoocow
December 31st, 2020, 06:09
Hi Wraith, I hope you don't mind me reporting so often, I just got bunch of books from the sale so I spend a lot of time tinkering with the character wizard :)

Here's things I encounter while using the wizard:
1. I noticed that choosing your background before you complete your class choices does not give you background skills, is this intentional?
2. Whether using the character wizard or drag and drop, I see that the Spellcaster sidekick class has full spellcasting progression instead of half-progression.
3. Rogue's skill choice is written "Sleight Of Hand" while the skill in character sheet is written "Sleight of Hand", thus creating additional skill in the sheet instead of applying proficiency / expertise.
4. While creating a rogue, you also have to switch tab first before being able to choose any expertise.
5. Even though you don't choose any of the Optional Tasha options, they appear in the character sheet regardless, this is also the case if using drag n drop (by the way, love it when the option has link on them)

Is there any planned roadmap for the character wizard or FGU in general? would love to know what you devs already planned so I would know better what to ask (sorry I just joined recently and haven't had time to sift through previously asked questions). Personally, I would like to see in-feature choices gets applied (fighting style, eldricth invocation, maneuvers).

Hope you people have an amazing holiday!

edit: removing the report about artificer tool proficiencies

FG_Wraith
December 31st, 2020, 06:31
Hi Wraith, I hope you don't mind me reporting so often, I just got bunch of books from the sale so I spend a lot of time tinkering with the character wizard :)

Here's things I encounter while using the wizard:
1. I noticed that choosing your background before you complete your class choices does not give you background skills, is this intentional?
2. Whether using the character wizard or drag and drop, I see that the Spellcaster sidekick class has full spellcasting progression instead of half-progression.
3. Rogue's skill choice is written "Sleight Of Hand" while the skill in character sheet is written "Sleight of Hand", thus creating additional skill in the sheet instead of applying proficiency / expertise.
4. While creating a rogue, you also have to switch tab first before being able to choose any expertise.
5. Even though you don't choose any of the Optional Tasha options, they appear in the character sheet regardless, this is also the case if using drag n drop (by the way, love it when the option has link on them)

Is there any planned roadmap for the character wizard or FGU in general? would love to know what you devs already planned so I would know better what to ask (sorry I just joined recently and haven't had time to sift through previously asked questions). Personally, I would like to see in-feature choices gets applied (fighting style, eldricth invocation, maneuvers).

Hope you people have an amazing holiday!

edit: removing the report about artificer tool proficiencies

Thanks for the bug report. The background skills not being granted if it comes first and the two spellings of Sleight Of Hand are new, so thanks again. The switching tabs for the Rogue's expertise is because the expertise could come from background skills so that has to be done before I present the option to go back and select expertise. It should warn that class is not finished even if it was before at this point. The rest I'm hoping to have updated in the next week or two.

And no, I don't mind at all that you give these reports. They are extremely helpful and I am extremely grateful. Thanks very much.

fatmoocow
December 31st, 2020, 06:47
Thanks for the bug report. The background skills not being granted if it comes first and the two spellings of Sleight Of Hand are new, so thanks again. The switching tabs for the Rogue's expertise is because the expertise could come from background skills so that has to be done before I present the option to go back and select expertise. It should warn that class is not finished even if it was before at this point. The rest I'm hoping to have updated in the next week or two.

And no, I don't mind at all that you give these reports. They are extremely helpful and I am extremely grateful. Thanks very much.

Happy to help, thanks for your swift reply as well.

Another thing I notice earlier but forget to mention is that the character wizard doesn't automatically add extra hit points from Dwarven Toughness and Draconic Resilience whether when creating a high level character or leveling up existing ones (I tried searching this thread but didn't find anyone reporting it yet). It does work when you create characters or leveling-up using the drag-n-drop function though.

FG_Wraith
December 31st, 2020, 19:38
Happy to help, thanks for your swift reply as well.

Another thing I notice earlier but forget to mention is that the character wizard doesn't automatically add extra hit points from Dwarven Toughness and Draconic Resilience whether when creating a high level character or leveling up existing ones (I tried searching this thread but didn't find anyone reporting it yet). It does work when you create characters or leveling-up using the drag-n-drop function though.

That's a new one as well. Thanks again.

quirkygamer
January 1st, 2021, 01:37
Speaking of dragonborn.....I created one and the breath weapon didn't populate in the actions tab. Is that one we just need to manually drag over from a book or enter in ourselves in order to use? Had a brief PC who had a dragonborn as well and it just reminded me she couldn't find the breath weapon on her character sheet either.

FG_Wraith
January 1st, 2021, 18:47
Speaking of dragonborn.....I created one and the breath weapon didn't populate in the actions tab. Is that one we just need to manually drag over from a book or enter in ourselves in order to use? Had a brief PC who had a dragonborn as well and it just reminded me she couldn't find the breath weapon on her character sheet either.

It is something you'll need to create manually for now. There is no weapon support for racial breath weapons for the Dragonborn or the Ravenite/Draconblood variants.

fatmoocow
January 2nd, 2021, 12:59
Hi Wraith, tinkering more with the wizard and found the following issues:

1. Choosing Monk and Bard class doesn't give you tool options (artisan's tools and musical instrument proficiency choices)

2. With TCOE for Players loaded, I find that the Soldier or Noble background doesn't give you its Background Feature (Military Rank / Position of Previlege). If I only loaded TCOE for GM, there's no problem. Also tried out with few other backgrounds (hermit, guild artisan, criminal) but they work as normal

TheeDnDBois
January 3rd, 2021, 23:44
Character Wizard not showing custom race bonuses

I was creating a custom race for the Aarakocra and when I go into the creator the bonuses don't show.
I'm not sure if there is a set way to do this or this is an actual bug.
Thank you!

chlmz
January 5th, 2021, 02:28
I tried to create a half-elf Warlock (Hexblade) (but apparently this happens for all specializations), the features, expanded spell list, and abilities are not appearing and not available while creating the character or after finishing creating using the wizard.
Just for clarification and details, I loaded all the books from the essential bundle

Moderator: Moved to Wizard bug reports

urielros
January 5th, 2021, 17:14
Hi, I don't know if this is a technical problem or my lack of knowledge in using FG.

When I use the Character Creation Wizard for an Evil High Priest character it doesn't have any spells. I tried to level it up to level 7 and still no-spells. When I pick a wizard, sorcerer or cleric the spells seem to work fine. It seems that FG fails to recognize the character as a spellcaster.
Already tried to reinstall FG and updated to current Unity version wuthout solving the problem.

2021-01-05 100255.png

I also have some problems with leveling characters. Using the "level-up" option doesn't work and only dragging the class from the library into the character sheet does the trick. Then, it suddenly recognizes the level-up and does two level-ups without any way to de-level the character.

Thanks.

Chuckhdtv
January 6th, 2021, 20:07
When I create a character in the PC wizard from another source than the PHB, the subclass features don't add up. It's no big deal for a class that specialize at level 3 but for the ones at level 1 it's a problem. it does the same if I start something like a paladin at level 3. It ask for a subclass but don't grant the features for the level 3 subclass. Everything is fine using the old fashion way. Am I doing something wrong?

FG_Wraith
January 6th, 2021, 23:35
Hey guys, for those of you reporting on specializations not providing their benefits, I am currently working on getting that sorted. I'll let you know when I have a solution in place. Thanks for the reports on this.