PDA

View Full Version : How do people manage time effects that last longer than a few combat rounds?

SilentRuin
July 28th, 2020, 03:34
I'm just wondering what the general usage consensus is (at least in Unity 5e) on how one manually manages effects which are a longer duration than the combat tracker would reasonably be running. I tend to track things in calendar/days/hours for purely random updates also - but I don't think I ever noticed any effects taking account of that time passing in the calendar either.

Is it just purely manual and you just have to remember to remove the effect?

Zacchaeus
July 28th, 2020, 10:40
You have two options in the CT menu - remove expiring effects and remove all effects. The first one will remove affects that have less than an hour to run (I think) and the other will obviously clear everything (which you almost never want to do since some effects are permanent).

You can also right click over the curly arrow at the bottom right of the CT and advance the combat rounds by a certain amount which will also count down effects (provided they are expressed in rounds or minutes).

The hardest ones to adjudicate are those which last for an hour or so and I just manually delete those after a while.

bmos
July 28th, 2020, 11:38
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57561-Utility-Clock-Adjuster

This has a feature for that.
Very helpful now that my players are 14th level and some have a few 14+ hour-long buffs that they cast every morning.
Nice to know definitively whether they're still active.

SilentRuin
July 28th, 2020, 17:16
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57561-Utility-Clock-Adjuster

This has a feature for that.
Very helpful now that my players are 14th level and some have a few 14+ hour-long buffs that they cast every morning.
Nice to know definitively whether they're still active.

Looks like a reminder text based thing right? You underestimate my powers of laziness :)

Looking for a more automatically whack the extensions when the time expires as in combat tracker (except by looking at info when effect was set and whacking it when calendar in hours or days exceeds it).

Maybe I'll do that myself at some point but right now already wrapped deep in an extension and have another one after that. It's amazing how hard I'll work to be lazy as a DM :)

bmos
July 28th, 2020, 17:25
Looks like a reminder text based thing right? You underestimate my powers of laziness :)

Looking for a more automatically whack the extensions when the time expires as in combat tracker (except by looking at info when effect was set and whacking it when calendar in hours or days exceeds it).

Maybe I'll do that myself at some point but right now already wrapped deep in an extension and have another one after that. It's amazing how hard I'll work to be lazy as a DM :)

Correct, it just reminds you after an amount of time on on a repeating interval.
However, the main benefit (IMO) is that it puts the clock front an center so you are more likely to take the time to advance it.
Once you can start assuming the in-game clock is correct, you can start triggering things off of it in your extensions ;)

GavinRuneblade
July 28th, 2020, 17:36

I use a number of spells from older editions that have durations like "days / level of caster" and often rituals or fae boons that will last "a month and a day" or junk like that. I use the calendar extensively and put the deadline (only) in the calendar. I set the effect permanent. When I'm starting the game and open the calendar I see "remember that Drogon's buff ends tomorrow at dawn" and I know to take care of it. Then during the session I forget and usually have to partially retcon.