PDA

View Full Version : Request: True20 Character Sheet

FlatNineSharpFive
April 26th, 2007, 08:00
I've spent a significant amount of time the past two days trying to get some idea how to create a custom character sheet for True20. I've come to this conclusion: I don't have the time or the skill set to do such a thing.

My background is in graphic design, so if anyone is interested in collaborating on this, I'd provide any necessary images.

FlatNineSharpFive
April 28th, 2007, 15:32
Alright, I guess there are no takers.

One of the main differences between d20 and true20 is that the latter doesn't use hit points. It uses a damage track instead.

Can someone please help me mod the character sheet so it has a damage track?

Malovech
May 16th, 2007, 02:06
Flat I am currently working on a True20 ruleset myself. I have just begun the initial planning phase. I was able to successfully create a ruleset for Conan the RPG in FG1, so I am giving this a go as well. I love True20 btw.

In terms of the damage track, I think I will simply use the conditions available in the current Combat Tracker for FG2. HP, Wounds and Nonlethal will be removed. A graphical table can be referenced to check how badly a character fails their toughness save. I may work something out for individual character sheets, but I typically keep this info hidden from my players so I might not put in the effort.

As I said, I am in the planning stages and will try and update you when I have something more tangible.

Kalan
May 16th, 2007, 07:41
Heya Flat :)

I've slowly worked out how char sheets are built in FGII - and would like to bring a Scion and 7th Sea char sheet to the program. The only problem I have is I can't do graphics worth a damn :D

if you're still lookin for help - let me know :) Kind of a I scratch your back, you scratch mine kinda thing :)

V

Elf
May 16th, 2007, 21:17
Flat I am currently working on a True20 ruleset myself. I have just begun the initial planning phase. I was able to successfully create a ruleset for Conan the RPG in FG1, so I am giving this a go as well. I love True20 btw.

In terms of the damage track, I think I will simply use the conditions available in the current Combat Tracker for FG2. HP, Wounds and Nonlethal will be removed. A graphical table can be referenced to check how badly a character fails their toughness save. I may work something out for individual character sheets, but I typically keep this info hidden from my players so I might not put in the effort.

As I said, I am in the planning stages and will try and update you when I have something more tangible.

I am going to tinker with making the True2O character sheet but it is the first time I have actively tried to do anything other than rename rulesets for existing campaigns and move things around in FG2 so the player notes reappear. I would love to pick your brain on how you would go about it. I am also in the initial planning stages of how to create the sheet.

I've slowly worked out how char sheets are built in FGII - and would like to bring a Scion and 7th Sea char sheet to the program. The only problem I have is I can't do graphics worth a damn :D

if you're still lookin for help - let me know :) Kind of a I scratch your back, you scratch mine kinda thing :)

V

Heh it sounds like all 3 of us would like to give a shot at it... I am still figuring out how the sheet is built and with the release of documentation it should help. My goal is to have a semi workable sheet for the start of Flat's campaign and continue to work on it as I learn True20. Is this a feasible route?

FlatNineSharpFive
May 17th, 2007, 07:03

V

I sent you a PM. I'm ready to do my part!

Malovech
May 17th, 2007, 14:27
I am going to tinker with making the True2O character sheet but it is the first time I have actively tried to do anything other than rename rulesets for existing campaigns and move things around in FG2 so the player notes reappear. I would love to pick your brain on how you would go about it. I am also in the initial planning stages of how to create the sheet.

I am in the learning phase just like you. I built a sheet in FG1, but looking through the d20 FG2 code I see that it is different. I will try and rip things apart tonight and get back to you on what I learn.

Salar
May 17th, 2007, 18:23
Hi all,
I'm a techno-halfwit I'm afraid and my ability to help-out would be limited, but I am interested in a True-20 sheet and would be willing to learn. Anything I can do, including moral support from the sidelines (Go team! Go!), just let me know.
John

emb
June 1st, 2007, 06:45
Hey! I'm willing to help out too... I'm a professional internet developer, but I haven't had time to experiment with FGII yet..

I did extensive modifications to FG I, and I really want a char sheet (preferrably by next week)

Any word on the progress? A link?

Malovech
June 1st, 2007, 12:00
Hey! I'm willing to help out too... I'm a professional internet developer, but I haven't had time to experiment with FGII yet..

I did extensive modifications to FG I, and I really want a char sheet (preferrably by next week)

Any word on the progress? A link?

Sorry for not updating this, I have been swamped with work and my personal life (there's a surpise!). No progress has really been made other than me learning bits and pieces.

emb
June 7th, 2007, 14:58
Please see my post on the third page.. it has an updated version of the post I made here...

emb
June 7th, 2007, 15:01
Oh, also, I"m new to True20, so I may have made an error in secondary stat calculations. Let me know if you notice anything

Malovech
June 7th, 2007, 20:38
Oh, also, I"m new to True20, so I may have made an error in secondary stat calculations. Let me know if you notice anything

You rock emb. I will look at this tonight and see how you worked things out.

Malovech
June 8th, 2007, 00:53
Well emb its a nice start! I like your creative solution for doing ability scores and your work on the damage tracker is excellent.

emb
June 8th, 2007, 02:06
Thanks!

It definitely isn't the best possible solution, but I suspect that compulsive perfectionism prevented others from releasing their sheets. I just tried to modify it as little as possible

At least it's playable :D

emb
June 8th, 2007, 14:27
I just played it last night, and noticed the following things:

1) I didn't include fields for conviction, virtue or vice... oops
2) Put the weapon damage in the critical field for the weapon... You can put the critical stats in the little boxes below (I don't even know what the heck those are supposed to be for)
3) True20 rocks!

Malovech
June 13th, 2007, 03:41
Ok I have really started to get some progress and get the hang of things in FG2. Using code from emb's work on the Damage Tracker I have further expanded my work on the character sheet and also started tweaking the character tracker. Its going to take me some time, but I think I will have a solid True20 ruleset once I'm done. I still can't script lua from scratch, but I almost don't need too (a lot of copying, pasting and breaking things seems to be getting me places).

Some screenshots of charsheet_main and charsheet_combat are attached.

I will release a version once I have the Character Sheet, NPCs and Combat Tracker all working. Then I'll move on to data.

emb
June 13th, 2007, 14:53
Looks great Malovech! I'm looking forward to your ruleset.

I'll continue to maintain my playable character sheet until your ruleset is ready. I've made a few more changes, and I'll upload them today.

Malovech... don't forget the virtue and vice fields... what page are you putting them on?

Also, I'm curious as to how you're going to handle the weapon damages... I couldn't figure out the best way to do those.

emb
June 13th, 2007, 14:54
Oh, I see them under Nature, and the top... good work

Malovech
June 13th, 2007, 15:33
Also, I'm curious as to how you're going to handle the weapon damages... I couldn't figure out the best way to do those.

For the weapon damages I am either going to be make it manual (user enters total). Or I will have boxes so the user can input Str bonus, Weapon dmg bonus and then I will have a 'total box' that will add 15 to the total of those two. If the attack form doesn't use strength (ie a firearm, or non composite bow) then the user can leave the str field blank.

emb
June 13th, 2007, 16:29
This should hold everybody until Malovech finishes his ruleset. This is just the character sheet.

Just create a copy of the d20 ruleset, rename it, and paste and replace these files

CHANGES
* added conviction
* added nature (virtue/vice)
* added fatigue track
* fixed damage track

I'm probably done now... I'll only change something if it bothers me enough while playing. Good luck M, finish quick! I'm waiting with baited breath

NOTE ::: This is an older version, see below for the more current. However, my newer version uses an alternative damage system, so you may want to use this one/combine them.

emb
June 13th, 2007, 16:35
Malovech, there are a couple of things I noticed from your awesome-looking char sheet.

* Great idea putting conditions on the first page
* The damage tracker I made is wrong... see my new one. The dazed and wounded fields should be a number, not a checkbox. See https://true20.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1516
* The fatigue track doesn't have variable results... (no 5+ 10+ 15+) it's just flat (if you fail once, you check the first result, fail again the next, etc
* There is no XP (we're you keeping that for a reason?)
* Touch is when he loses his shield bonus? What is that?

Sweet! Thanks again man... I'm looking forward to it.. and if there's any way you could bust it and make a release before tomorrow evening, I'd appreciate it.

Malovech
June 13th, 2007, 17:46
* The damage tracker I made is wrong... see my new one. The dazed and wounded fields should be a number, not a checkbox. See https://true20.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1516

Noted I will fix this, but I am a bit confused (see my reply to your post on True20).

* The fatigue track doesn't have variable results... (no 5+ 10+ 15+) it's just flat (if you fail once, you check the first result, fail again the next, etc

Good call, I'll make sure to change that too.

* There is no XP (we're you keeping that for a reason?)

Really? How do you advance then, I could have sworn there was XP. Need to consult the rules when I get home from work.

* Touch is when he loses his shield bonus? What is that?

Mix up on my part, I think Touch bascially doesn't exist, I will consult the rulebook and remove it. Flat-footed is basically parry too.

Oh and in regards to getting this ruleset done for this week: probably a no go. I am gone camping all weekend.

Elf
June 15th, 2007, 15:45
There are two variants of True 20, one with classes and one without.

The one without uses character points to advance your character, with roughly every 7 points being equal to a level although there are no levels per se just continuous advancement. This is sort of XP based and is the variant (emb; this is the system I am working on thus I have not posted my ruleset as it is not mainstream True 20).

The other uses a system where the Narrator tells the player when they gain a level as the level is based on the Campaign level not individual levels (I am not sure but I think it uses the average points earned by the PCs as a whole and when it reaches a certain point the Narrator decides to bump the campaign level). Thus no XP and The leveling system is then similar to D20. This is the mainstream True 20.

Malovech
June 26th, 2007, 14:34
Ok I have something functional and usable should anyone want it. There are still some bugs, but you can definitely use and play with what I have. I have created data files with one entry in each, it is up to you to add actual data and work with those (powers, feats, skills, etc). I don't want to screw Green Ronin over by just giving away their content.

Outstanding issues:

the damage track section on the combat tracker doesn't show/hide or pad itself properly like the other ones. Not sure why. If anyone figures out my error please let me know.
Dragging and dropping PCs and NPCs into the damage tracker isn't 100%. I am working on this and will give out replacement files once I have taken care of it. For now it should be good.
The power sheet in the character sheet is functional but clumsy. You can set yourself to sorcerer-style casting and give yourself one 0 level spell. Then you can drag and drop spells in. I want this to be better, but for now it works.
other misc issues I may have missedIf you want the ruleset in its present state please PM with an email that can handle a 9MB to 12MB zip file.

emb
June 26th, 2007, 16:31
Speaking of giving away content. Green Ronin is GIVING AWAY free copies of True20 this week (PDF format) to anyone who wants it. I believe you can download the core rules for free this friday.

If anyone is interested in learning/playing a great game, this is an opportunity you won't want to miss.

Details:

https://www.true20.com

Illrigger
June 26th, 2007, 18:12
Speaking of giving away content. Green Ronin is GIVING AWAY free copies of True20 this week (PDF format) to anyone who wants it. I believe you can download the core rules for free this friday.

If anyone is interested in learning/playing a great game, this is an opportunity you won't want to miss.

Details:

https://www.true20.com
Nice! Thanks for the heads up, I've been wanting to take a look at this.

emb
June 29th, 2007, 17:20
I've updated mine a little... For completeness, here it is. This uses an alternative damage system, where you roll damage instead of toughness.

https://true20.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1536

You can paste the damage tracker from the old one into this one and it will be all standard.

I added some stuff like a conviction box, the new damage tracker, damage rolling, etc.