PDA

View Full Version : Dragging Die Rolls Problem

sppeterson
April 26th, 2007, 07:23
During the game my player started not being able to drag die rolls.

This occurred during a fight -- he tried to drag the attack bonus from the first iterative attack slot and that didn't work.

He could, however, drag the 2 from the #atk slot, then it would roll both iterative attacks at once -- that worked fine.

However, then he couldn't drag the damage die out --more specifically, he'd drag the damage die out, we'd both see it roll, but the number wouldn't appear in the chat line.

Moreover, after this, the same thing would happen with on-the-fly rolls -- he'd set the modifier, roll the die, we'd both see it roll, but no chatline.

This was true for all of the characters he was running. I, though, could drag ataccks and damage rolls off them and that would work normally.

Prior to this problem, he had made some changes ot the character's sheet during the game. I also had adjusted some numbers on that character's sheet -- so I'm not sure if one of those caused the problem.

After finishing the fight I had him exit, then re-connect. He could then roll checks normally, either on the fly, or by dragging from various character sheets -- including attack and damage rolls.

But we didn't check again with the original character that had the problem, since he hadn't yet updated the sheet out of game and we didn't want to break it again.

One other odd note -- sometimes I'll see a die roll, and the number that comes up on the die isn't the same as the one that comes up in the chatline -- I'm not sure but this might only be happening with d20s.

Goblin-King
April 26th, 2007, 08:24
We'll keep an eye out for this. Any hints on how this might be reproducable would be very useful.

If this happens again, could you ask the player to check the file console.log in his data folder to see if there are any error messages.

Dachannien
April 26th, 2007, 08:26
I've noticed in FG1.05 that if a player has typed (even accidentally) something into their chat box but hasn't hit enter, then any die rolls they make will be held in anticipation of them hitting enter. It then labels the die roll with whatever they typed. If they don't hit enter, their die roll won't appear.

There have been other cases where this apparently wasn't the case in my group, but we've never been able to figure out a cause in those cases.

As for the die not matching what FG counts as having been rolled - sometimes two players will see a different number come up on the die. Usually, one of them will see the number that FG says it rolled, but the other will see it tip over to an adjacent face. Apparently, the physics engine for the dice isn't 100% deterministic ;) You can handle it however you want, but the easiest way IMO is just to take whatever FG says was rolled - after all, when you're rolling 30d20, nobody's going to know or care what came up on each graphical die, so you might as well take whatever comes up in the chat box as the real answer.

sppeterson
April 26th, 2007, 19:19
I've noticed in FG1.05 that if a player has typed (even accidentally) something into their chat box but hasn't hit enter, then any die rolls they make will be held in anticipation of them hitting enter. It then labels the die roll with whatever they typed. If they don't hit enter, their die roll won't appear.

Thanks -- I think you might be right.

I did notice that happen to me last night, had a letter or two in the chat line and the die didn't roll. I'll make sure to tell the player if that happens again.

This could happen pretty easily too since we mainly use voice chat, and so could miss what's gonig on in the chat line for a long time.