PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Questions

Ulton
July 26th, 2020, 20:22
New player here with several other new converts to FGU (Fantasy Grounds in general). We are playing Pathfinder 2e. Here they are:

1. Can you create and modify your character if you GM is offline. Meaning, can you roll up a character or update your character if you GM does not have the game running, i.e., in a campaign. We are all older working adults and it would be nice if we could create characters other than when the GM has the game running.
2. We are struggling to understand FGU (we are old fogies), but love what we see so far, despite the steep learning curve. One of the things I noticed is that on my character sheet, it is not adding the weapon skill modifier or armor value to the character sheet/combat tab. Is there something I need to do to configure this to occur? For example, I am playing a Barbarian with an 18 str. When I roll to hit, the game is only adding +4 to hit, not +7 (+3 from being trained in martial weapon). Also, it is not adding the armor value for me wearing a Breastplate (+4).

I have other issues, but I am trying to research the solutions before I go to the forums.

Thank you.

LordEntrails
July 26th, 2020, 20:54
Welcome!

1. Yes, but not in the GMs campaign or using their resources. You will have to do it in your own campaign with your own DLC and then import it into the GMs campaign when they have their computer running. (Or, they can just leave FG running for a few days/evenings when they aren't using their computer.)
2. I don't know, ruleset specific questions would best be asked in the PF2e sub-forum. Those are the folks that can answer your questions the best. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?105-Pathfinder-2-0

Ulton
July 26th, 2020, 23:53
Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Tuleen Donai
July 27th, 2020, 16:12
2. We are struggling to understand FGU (we are old fogies), but love what we see so far, despite the steep learning curve. One of the things I noticed is that on my character sheet, it is not adding the weapon skill modifier or armor value to the character sheet/combat tab. Is there something I need to do to configure this to occur? For example, I am playing a Barbarian with an 18 str. When I roll to hit, the game is only adding +4 to hit, not +7 (+3 from being trained in martial weapon). Also, it is not adding the armor value for me wearing a Breastplate (+4).

From one old fogie to another, learn from my mistakes - especially if you don't read manuals. FG with DND5E ruleset does a GREAT job in automating things for you. You just need to let it.

For instance, when creating a character roll up your base stats and then stop manually changing your character sheet.

1. Open your Library, and at the top, you can turn on/off several things on your right hand menu like: Races, Classes, Backgrounds, Items, etc.
2. Open up Races, and when you find the race you want, click on the dragon head and drag it over to your character sheet.
3. Repeat this with Classes and Backgrounds.

IMPORTANT: When you level a character, do so by opening classes and add your class again, this will make your char lvl 2+ and ask you pertinent question about skill, training, abilities, etc. Abilities and keywords that FG recognizes will be listed in your Abilities tab. Check this after leveling. It will tell you what to do. When at level 4 or so, your character gets a couple of added ability score points, you will note it says that in your abilities tab. I and players add to their scores, and then we DELETE this reference - so we don't do it again, or miss it the next time we should do so.

4. Open Items, and add items to your inventory using the very same technique.

It was almost a month before I learned this - of course, I didn't read the manual.

Many of the effects you are referring to work better if you let the tool set things up. Some effects, like magical effects, have to be added manually to the Spells and Powers portion of your Actions tab on your character sheet. Get good at this section of your sheet, you will use it A LOT! You will also use the Combat Tracker. Get good at that as well. Weapons that you are carrying and equipped with show up here. Also, spells, and effects from Magical Items show up here. Zacchaeus has done an exceptional job of describing how to do things with effects on these videos.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E/page5

Our party got +1 AC Rings of Protection, and I couldn't figure out how to make them work. Zacchaeus showed me. It has to be added as a Magical Effect that the player must "activate" any time they: 1) put it on, or 2) are added to the Combat Tracker. Bard Effects are done in this way as well. There are some Extensions you can purchase to help with things like LUCKY. They are worth every penny in my book.

https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?keywords=Fantasy+Grounds+Extensions&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=

Also, I recently learned how important it is to read the Reference Manual supplied with FG Adventures that you purchase, like Dragon of IceSpire Peak. This has TONS of information you will need to run the campaign properly.

Just some nuggets of wisdom I've picked up over the last 6 mos of being an FG newbie.