PDA

View Full Version : Interest in Mutants and Masterminds?

Rift
July 26th, 2020, 17:29
Good afternoon All,

Just gauging any interest in a Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition campaign... Specifically, start at low power (power level 5, or 75 power points). You just came into your powers/abilities, and crap hits the fan. We'll go from there. I'd like to have not more than one of each archetype, but I'm pretty open how to they could be built..:

Battlesuit
Construct
Crime Fighter
Energy Controller
Gadgeteer
Martial Artist
Mimic
Mystic
Paragon
Powerhouse
Psychic
Shapeshifter
Speedster
Warrior
Weapon Master

Joseph1Leon
July 26th, 2020, 19:02
I would be interested in playing, depending on availability. I've looked over Mutants and Masterminds in the past, but was never able to join a group that was playing. I'm a lifelong RPGer and love trying new systems and games. I'd probably be most interested in playing an Energy Controller, Mystic, or Psychic. Looking forward to more information. Thanks.

gaara6666
July 26th, 2020, 23:33
I definitely have interest as I have never had a group go past 1 or 2 sessions. I would love to play something along the lines of a "warper" using teleport.

Rift
July 27th, 2020, 00:12
I would be interested in playing, depending on availability. I've looked over Mutants and Masterminds in the past, but was never able to join a group that was playing. I'm a lifelong RPGer and love trying new systems and games. I'd probably be most interested in playing an Energy Controller, Mystic, or Psychic. Looking forward to more information. Thanks.

Nice! I've learned to just jump right in. No time like the present! Since you were the first to respond, the table is wide open. Do you have a preference for one of those archetypes in particular?

I figure we could make the characters together if it is easiest. We could go through the generator. I can ask you some questions or run down a list of options. Or of course, if you would rather make your character on your own you are more than welcome to, I'll just have to verify that the character is within points and power level, etc

Rift
July 27th, 2020, 00:16
I definitely have interest as I have never had a group go past 1 or 2 sessions. I would love to play something along the lines of a "warper" using teleport.

That can definitely be arranged, and in more than one archetype! What flavor of "warper" appeals to you?

gaara6666
July 27th, 2020, 03:41
sent a pm

degarzet
July 27th, 2020, 15:38
Wow this sounds fantastic! I haven't played M&M before, but I have played FG games. In superpower games I like going for more versatile roles like the gadgeteer, mimic, psychic or shapeshifter. Though if no one takes the role, it'd be a fresh experience to play a warrior/powerhouse type. I'm free on the weekends, and most nights other than Wednesdays.

Joseph1Leon
July 27th, 2020, 17:46
Sounds great. I've not used Mutants and Masterminds on the Fantasy Grounds system, so creating characters together would be nice. Not to mention that it is always a nice way to get to know group members through the process. I think I would most like to play as a Mystic. I can start exploring options for that archetype, then put it together when we link up to create characters. Thanks for the opportunity to play!

gaara6666
July 27th, 2020, 21:57
I'd really like that. I even came up with the origin and backstory for him at work yesterday. Hoping to see this game come alive.

Ryuson
July 30th, 2020, 21:05
Interested in M&M (and superheroes in general). What day/time were you thinking of running the game?

MrKinister
July 31st, 2020, 18:23
Interested as well.

I think we need an estimated time/weekday/frequency to tell if we can actually join. And a time zone would be good as well.

gaara6666
July 31st, 2020, 20:58
Agreed I'm us central and after 8pm on Friday or Sat is best for me. Also what time period if it is modern setting or not etc. The gm been Mia since he posted

MrKinister
July 31st, 2020, 21:34
Yup, it's only been four days since his last post. Let's see what happens.

alikat76
August 1st, 2020, 01:17
I would love to join in with a spider verse style character, not the pig.

Alison

gaara6666
August 1st, 2020, 05:18
That could be really cool. my character has a really cool hook that can work with a spiderverse style character. Plus a mystic and a enhancer. Really excited to see what develops.

alikat76
August 1st, 2020, 16:41
That would be sweet

Mile
August 1st, 2020, 17:43
Might I join? This is a game I’ve wanted to play for a long while, and this sounds awesome!

Rift
August 3rd, 2020, 19:30
Hi everyone! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Glad to know there is some interest! I'm gathering some details for you all and will post shortly.

alikat76
August 3rd, 2020, 19:34
cool

Mile
August 3rd, 2020, 20:17
Awesome! Really exited to hear about it.

MrKinister
August 3rd, 2020, 21:07
Hi everyone! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Glad to know there is some interest! I'm gathering some details for you all and will post shortly.
Fantastic! Looking forward to what you have in mind.

gaara6666
August 3rd, 2020, 21:50
Yup hope it aligns to my schedule. I am very excited to have all of us so enthusiastic about it.

Mile
August 3rd, 2020, 21:52
Same! Warning though, I’m a total noob and probably will need a lot of help.

gaara6666
August 3rd, 2020, 23:57
wel that is why i think a session 0 to build characters and meet/greet would be cool.

GrimmStories
August 4th, 2020, 05:49
If there is room, I down to play depending on day.

degarzet
August 4th, 2020, 20:49
This is exciting, just got an M&M book to look over the mechanics. Hope I can play.

alikat76
August 4th, 2020, 23:43
I absolutely love M&M and can't wait

Joseph1Leon
August 5th, 2020, 02:36

Totally looking forward to hearing more. Excited to play!

Mile
August 5th, 2020, 18:21
I’m super exited too! I just made a character, which I am sure has 30 things wrong with it, but it seems to be at least a good starting point.

MrKinister
August 27th, 2020, 17:10
Hey Rift,

Just checking in with you. Still interested in that M&M game? Or should we table this thread?

ThatDolphinDude
September 1st, 2020, 23:18
Hay i am interested in playing. If you have at time then i am down to play. I,m in central daylight time by the way.

Samzagas
September 1st, 2020, 23:39
I'm also interested, in case a group is being formed.

GrimmStories
September 3rd, 2020, 17:48
Hey, just a wild guess, but there won't be a game since the original poster hasn't responded in awhile. So, unless you're offering to GM, please don't continue this dead thread.

brad310617
September 5th, 2020, 05:32
I am certainly interested if this is still an opportunity. I have not been so lucky as to have played the game myself but have seen it played twice and quick study having played pathfinder 2e and DND 5e.

AlucardHell
September 6th, 2020, 12:31
Interested in playing and trying the game out

Morfedel
September 9th, 2020, 06:54
I['m guessing that your group is full, but just in case, I've been wanting to try it out. Mostly because I GM more than play, and want to see how it runs :)

BiscuitboyAlpha
September 9th, 2020, 16:34
Id be down for learning a new game system especially if it is about superheros, depends on what days we can all play on.

GrimmStories
September 9th, 2020, 21:12
Hey, just a wild guess, but there won't be a game since the original poster hasn't responded in awhile. So, unless you're offering to GM, please don't continue this dead thread.

Please read the quote.

AIDED1313
September 11th, 2020, 02:01
Ill play all though I am kind of noob if that is okay but I do have a character sheet ready and I want to learn how to play

AIDED1313
September 11th, 2020, 02:05
Wait you GM

AIDED1313
September 11th, 2020, 02:20
Morfadel

Soulwrack
September 13th, 2020, 19:45
Depends on day and time but I’d love to

Morfedel
September 15th, 2020, 05:00
Please read the quote.

Yeah sorry I skimmed through the first couple posts then jumped to the end lol

Morfedel
September 15th, 2020, 05:01
Morfadel

Well, its Morfedel, but you want me to run?

MrKinister
September 15th, 2020, 17:40
If you are up for it, it would be lovely. Yes, please. :D

Morfedel
September 15th, 2020, 19:34
If you are up for it, it would be lovely. Yes, please. :D

I might think about it. I was considering it anyway, but I kinda wanted to play.

That being said, I actually normally prefer to run games over play them. I'll see.

Ryuson
September 15th, 2020, 20:08
Does anyone have experience with running M&M 3E? I've played it live many years ago. But my XP has mainly been with HERO/Champions. Any words on how it runs? Things to watch for or avoid?

One of my favorite genres is superheroes. But I would only run one-shots/short arcs since I'm focusing on 5E atm.

MrKinister
September 17th, 2020, 02:49
Yes, I am familiar with rules and I've run a pair of one-shots for my own experience. I think it runs just like any other game system with skills and powers.

I would recommend keeping an eye out on the usual suspects:
1. Variable can be easily abused, but it can be managed.
2. Post- and Pre-Cognition can possibly break your plots. Not bad powers, but don't let them make things too easy.
3. The Power Level balance is important, and is a good measure on how to estimate your opposition.
4. I find that doing straight Damage has more impact in a game because Afflictions are hard to apply and relatively easy to break.
5. You may on occasion need to fudge things because a bad Resistance roll can sometimes take your Master Villain out in a single 'Natural 1' roll.
6. Minions are your friends: they are cheap, fill out the ranks, and mowing through many of them easily will make your PCs feel like they are invincible. Until they are hit real hard by the villains, and they realize that 'this fight is for real'. =)

Otherwise the best thing I can tell you is to just throw yourself in there, and begin with easy opponents for your heroes in a session Zero or session 1. This will give you a feel for how well/poorly they do, and how you can adjust.

Oh, and if you are used to Champions, you'll note that M&M 3e has a lot less "definition", meaning that the interactions between powers is far less granular than Hero System. In the spirit of that design aesthetic, take things easy on any judgement calls you may need to make as the original idea was to make the game 'easy'.

My $0.02. =)

corum Rask
September 17th, 2020, 04:35
I would be interested but Honestly never played M&M..I have played Champions and I can learn a new system fast. But it will depend on time and Day...
I am in Las Vegas NV (Pacific Time Zone)

Cory

gaara6666
September 17th, 2020, 21:39
I was part of the original group. The DM ghosted everyone after his last post. I'd love to do a superhero game personally.

Go1denScarab
September 19th, 2020, 08:43
Yes Please!!!

Do you know any more about if you will start the game and when? How many players?

I have been reading the rules since 2e, but never found a group. I feel I am very aware of the rules but definitely a newbie at Fantasy Grounds. I learn fast though and just found FG University.

I think I would like to play a psychic or energy controller.

Thanks
Michael

Cyroa
September 19th, 2020, 12:11
Depending on when its run, I would love to play. Supers is a favorite genre of mine.

Bresnod
September 26th, 2020, 06:43
I would be interested in learning to play.

MrKinister
September 26th, 2020, 20:20
Hah! I love how this thread just keeps on going... =)

Cyroa
September 27th, 2020, 01:23
You want to point to another supers game (favorite genre of mine), I'd go look there. ;)

MrKinister
September 27th, 2020, 03:08
Heh! I wish. I am keeping my eyes on this one like a hawk. :rv:

GrimmStories
September 27th, 2020, 05:12
Hah! I love how this thread just keeps on going... =)

It breaks my heart. So many want to play, but no one wants to step up and GM or someone tries to convince a gm to run a game even though the gm want to be a player.

Go1denScarab
September 27th, 2020, 21:02
Are there any resources out there for pre made adventures? I'm working on getting more experience as a player on FG Unitty. maybe when I feel like I know enough I would step up and GM...

Cyroa
September 28th, 2020, 00:55
I _think_ there are for MnM. Been a while since I looked though. Claremont, some DC stuff. Don't quote me though. Don't know FG well enough to say if its loaded in or not.

Go1denScarab
September 28th, 2020, 02:29
When I go to "Create Campaign" on the start up screen, there is no M&M choice. I suppose this means I have to add the M&M rule set to my installation of FG Unity. How do I do that?

(very new to FG)

Go1denScarab
September 28th, 2020, 02:43
Never mind, found it, had to buy it. XD I guess I was expecting an SRD to be available, like the D&D editions. I just started playing on FG this past Friday. When I get more practice playing in that and looking at the M&M I just downloaded, I will probably try too GM a one shot or so, If I can find some published adventures either on paper or in FG store.

Anyone who want's to help me become more skilled at FG, let me know and you get first opportunity to join game. (esp. if you are willing to share GM responsibilities.)

Go1denScarab
September 28th, 2020, 02:56
Uh yeah, the character sheets seem not to work. ;( I'm going to look at the M&M forum tomorrow and see if there are any ways to get it to work.

Cyroa
September 28th, 2020, 21:35
I don't know much about FG's or I'd offer. I do know MnM though and, if you need help, send me a message. Happy to help.