PDA

View Full Version : can we have FGU remember what size you have the window?

ThingsCouldGetDicey
July 24th, 2020, 13:57
whenever i boot up into FGU it doesnt remember that i have it full screen. and it doesnt remember where i put the dice tower. is this an easy fix to implement? its a small annoyance but its also a small ask to fix.

Kardock
July 24th, 2020, 16:55
being full screen is set in windows. edit the properties of your shortcut and in the Run drop-down, make sure you have Maximized set.

hope this helps.

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2020, 20:17
Full screen is a little squirrelly in Unity; so we've put off working on full screen interactions until we have more time to dig into it.

For the dice tower, I'm not seeing that on my machine when I test. I unlocked the tower, moved it, exited, restarted FG, loaded campaign, and it was in the last place I moved it. Are you following any other steps?

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
July 24th, 2020, 20:35
I can reproduce.

What happens is if you run the campaign full screen or in a window larger than the launcher screen, then FG moves any windows that don't fit. But, if you run the launcher in full screen mode, then the campaign opens in full screen and things are where you left them. Tested with chat, dice tower and die modifiers in 5E ruleset.

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2020, 20:42
How do you run the campaign in a screen larger than the launch screen? Once you launch, then the campaign is loading. (Basically, how can I recreate?)

JPG

LordEntrails
July 24th, 2020, 22:10
So don't maximize the launcher, just have it a portion of your screen. When FGU launches the campaign, it will be the same size as the launcher window was. If that is smaller than the campaign screen was when you were last playing and you had moved stuff outside the bounds of the smaller launcher window, it will move the things so they (mostly) fit in the new smaller window.

To reproduce;
- load campaign,
- maximize window
- move chat/dice tower/modifiers to right side of screen
- exit
- start FGU
- restore/unmaximize launcher window and resize so it is ~50% of your screen
- start FGU
- campaign window opens at same size as launcher window was, stuff you moved is moved to fit
- maximize (or even just resize) campaign window to see stuff isn't where you left it

This is actually the behavior I would expect, as long as positions are determined by pixels and not percentage of overall window (which would allow internal frames to move and resize when FGU window is resized).

ThingsCouldGetDicey
July 24th, 2020, 22:19
So don't maximize the launcher, just have it a portion of your screen. When FGU launches the campaign, it will be the same size as the launcher window was. If that is smaller than the campaign screen was when you were last playing and you had moved stuff outside the bounds of the smaller launcher window, it will move the things so they (mostly) fit in the new smaller window.

To reproduce;
- load campaign,
- maximize window
- move chat/dice tower/modifiers to right side of screen
- exit
- start FGU
- restore/unmaximize launcher window and resize so it is ~50% of your screen
- start FGU
- campaign window opens at same size as launcher window was, stuff you moved is moved to fit
- maximize (or even just resize) campaign window to see stuff isn't where you left it

This is actually the behavior I would expect, as long as positions are determined by pixels and not percentage of overall window (which would allow internal frames to move and resize when FGU window is resized).

i have my launcher at full screen. ive always had to alter my position of the dice tower because when it loads it it loads in the size of the window of the welcome screen box. and then i have to maximise and the size of that screen restricts the placement of where the dice tower is meant to be. so it does place it in the right area but only to the restrictions of the welcome screen box. i then have to maximise and re position the dice tower everytime i open an FGU campaign.

LordEntrails
July 24th, 2020, 22:25
Is this the 'welcome screen'? It's what I call the launcher screen. And if it opens maximize (per shortcut properties) then the dice tower position works for me. Sounds like you are referring to them as separate screens, but I'm not aware of them being different.

Seems to me the issue is that the campaign doesn't remember its own size and takes it from the previous Unity window. Not sure if its that much of an issue right now, but would be nice to have fixed.

ThingsCouldGetDicey
July 24th, 2020, 22:27
Is this the 'welcome screen'? It's what I call the launcher screen. And if it opens maximize (per shortcut properties) then the dice tower position works for me. Sounds like you are referring to them as separate screens, but I'm not aware of them being different.

Seems to me the issue is that the campaign doesn't remember its own size and takes it from the previous Unity window. Not sure if its that much of an issue right now, but would be nice to have fixed.

yes but its the size of the frame around the text of where it says fantasy grounds. not the maximised size of the whole program.

ThingsCouldGetDicey
July 24th, 2020, 22:39
i think i know the issue better now ive been looking into it. FGU doesnt remember the maximise function. thats what i wanted not "fullscreen" as in tradition for games and things like that. its not staying maximised and this is due to having an update. which i just did now and this is probably why it happens, everytime it updates it doesnt remember the maximise quality. so after an update im under the impression that the launcher screen is meant to be that size. so when you load it in it loads at the smaller launch screen. which causes the problem im having. so maybe the fix could be to tell the updater to remember the maximise settings? just as a guess.

fubeca150
July 25th, 2020, 00:54
As a workaraound I use a program called "Window Manager". I've got a couple of apps that don't work well with multiple monitors, and FGU that doesn't work well even on single, with relation to remembering window positions or maximized state. FGU resets itself every time it updates, but even if you don't run maximize the window position seems to shift down by the size of the title bar (or did, last time I ran it w/o Window Manager moving it.)