PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong - Newb DM questions - spells prepared

Rbbrbootz
July 24th, 2020, 05:52
Working on a sample character and found I'm not getting the result I should be expecting. I have double-checked in my PHB and D&DB and both say the same thing. Cleric spells prepared is level plus WIS mod, in this case, 8(LVL)+3 (17 WIS) or 11 prepared spells, not including domain spells (which is a whole other thing I'm not understanding). My FGUU is showing only 8 spells available. Why am I not seeing the 11?
Also, I see in the selection list the spells that are part of the domain, but if I add them to the list of spells, they decrease the prepared spell list. First of all, should they not be automatically added? Secondly, they are above and beyond the ones the player has to prepare.

I'm very confused here. What am I doing wrong?

One more thing, once I save a character in the Wizard, I can't seem to come back to make significant changes, like domain. The only way it seems that this works is either manually deleting the needed features and adding them in manually, or just starting over.

I am going through the tutorials but may have gotten ahead of myself, and if so, please direct me to the necessary pages.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Zacchaeus
July 24th, 2020, 09:51
Hi Rbbrbootz, welcome to FG.

Yes, a Cleric can prepare a number of spells from the Cleric spell list equal to their level + their Wisdom modifier. In addition you have your Domain Spells which you always know (and so don't need to prepare and don't count towards the total of 11). So if you are 8th level you will also know a further 8 Domain spells bringing your total choice to 19. It is better that you keep your domain spells in a different power group than your normal spells. See these videos for more details on character building - especially video Six which shows you exactly how to do this https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46965-New-Character-Creation-Videos

In order to add spells to your character you must drag them into the actions tab from the Cleric spell list (again see the video above for details). Sounds like you only dragged in the Domain spells (or you are only looking at the domain spells - I''m not sure).

You then need to tell Fantasy Grounds which spells you want to prepare since it can't know what you want to do. You do this in preparation mode (click the button next to Mode at the bottom left of the actions tab until it says preparation) and then use the small tick box next to the spell name to select the spells that you want to prepare for the day.

At present once a character is created there isn't a way to go back and neatly remove anything. It has to be done manually (and since this can cause many issues it is probably better to restart the character).

Rbbrbootz
July 24th, 2020, 15:14
First of all, @Zacchaeus, thank you VERY much for those videos...just with the one video you suggested, I've a much better understanding of the system.

Secondly, very interesting that adding the spells is done AFTER the character is saved, rather than during creation.

Third, I may not have been clear in my frustration. In the Character wizard, before adding ANY spells, it shows only 8/8 prepared spells available.

I am adding in a screen cap so you see what's going on. In this case, I should have 12 spells to prepare. Also, is there a way to alter the size of the window? Selected Spells and Cantrips Available are over-lapping.

Zacchaeus
July 24th, 2020, 16:08
I suspect the 8/8 is a bug maybe. As a Cleric you technically have all the spells available at any level. So at first level you know all of the 1st level spells, and then once you are at a level you know all the 2nd level spells etc - there's no restriction for Divine Casters as to how many spells they know. The only restriction is how many you can prepare each day.

Rbbrbootz
July 24th, 2020, 16:41
OK. As long as I'm not (too) crazy, that's fine.

So two bugs then...spells prepared and text in window.

Thank you for all your help, and your videos...I think I'll be poring over them all as time goes on!

Looking forward to getting all my campaigns switched over to FG.

FG_Wraith
July 24th, 2020, 20:17
OK. As long as I'm not (too) crazy, that's fine.

So two bugs then...spells prepared and text in window.

Thank you for all your help, and your videos...I think I'll be poring over them all as time goes on!

Looking forward to getting all my campaigns switched over to FG.

Thanks for the heads up. I am working on the fix now.