PDA

View Full Version : Today I've had to "Check Updates" about 10 or more times - is this real?

SilentRuin
July 24th, 2020, 00:23
Today I've had to "Check Updates" about 10 or more times - is this real or some kind of bug or file not getting updated?

Seems it will happen every other time I come up.

damned
July 24th, 2020, 00:36
There were some bug fixes pushed today.
I certainly wouldnt update 10x in one day.
Unless I am waiting on an update or a new build has been pushed like it was this week I would only update once a week when I have some quiet time.

SilentRuin
July 24th, 2020, 00:42
There were some bug fixes pushed today.
I certainly wouldnt update 10x in one day.
Unless I am waiting on an update or a new build has been pushed like it was this week I would only update once a week when I have some quiet time.

When working on an extension I come up and down a lot and I never want to be out of date - want to find any changes right then.

cevikd
July 24th, 2020, 01:48
I saw the same thing (thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?60261-Check-For-Updates-Always-Highlighted). Nothing was updating but Check For Updates kept getting highlighted. After a few hours and 10+ checks with no updates finally a file updated and it’s been fixed since then.

cevikd
July 24th, 2020, 19:56
Well I said that prematurely. Several times today the Check For Updates button has been highlighted again but no update downloads when I click it.

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2020, 20:09
You can try clearing the vault subfolder of the FGU data folder; then run a new Check For Updates. This will reset all the product manifests on the machine.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
July 24th, 2020, 20:11
I only got it twice. Seemed to be related to the PFRPG2 hot fix. I would check the date on your updater, mine is; 2020-06-25

Here are the updater logs;

EDIT: update is back for me. As noted, seems random.

cevikd
July 24th, 2020, 21:35
You can try clearing the vault subfolder of the FGU data folder; then run a new Check For Updates. This will reset all the product manifests on the machine.

Regards,
JPG

Hey Moon Wizard,

So I tried this (clearing the vault subfolder then running check for updates to re-download everything) and I'm still occasionally seeing Check for Updates highlighted but nothing updates when I click it. I have the 2020-06-25 version of the updater on Windows 10. It's not every time I open the launcher that the button is highlighted, it seems to be random. This started yesterday morning for me, it had worked fine until then. I've attached my latest update log where Check for Updates was highlighted but nothing downloaded.

Thanks,

cevikd

SilentRuin
July 24th, 2020, 23:54
Ugh its happening all day today. Still.

Moon Wizard
July 27th, 2020, 05:34
Are you guys still seeing this happen? If so, can you try running the installer again? If still an issue, we'll have to dig into the installer/updater cycle.

Thanks,
JPG

SilentRuin
July 27th, 2020, 06:04
Are you guys still seeing this happen? If so, can you try running the installer again? If still an issue, we'll have to dig into the installer/updater cycle.

Thanks,
JPG

Basically the false update happened up until today. Not sure what stopped it but I just quite bothering to update. Then did this morning - and no more constant updating. And what was weird is it would be there coming up one time (ignored it) then next time I came up it was gone - and time after that it was back. Very weird. Very annoying. I suspect whatever the "trigger" is for the update - likely a file date or something? Was bad or in some bad format and kept forcing the update. Not sure how tightly controlled what gets "rolled out" is but something was going on there for a couple of days.

No sign of it at the moment so whatever the "bad stuff" was its gone - or is no longer plaguing me at least.

Moon Wizard
July 27th, 2020, 09:21
That is strange. As far as I know, there were no pushes over the weekend; because it's usually only me pushing on weekends and I didn't.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
July 27th, 2020, 17:24
I had an Update indicator this morning. Updated, nothing changed, and then no more update indicator. Tried two more times and no indicator.

Perhaps one of the Cloudflare servers had a stagnant file? Anyways, it appears resolved now.

cevikd
July 27th, 2020, 17:58
I haven't seen it today. It definitely felt like a bad hash cached on one machine behind a load balancer or something (I realize I'm totally guessing how your stuff works and I apologize if I'm way off base). It was pretty random, sometimes it was highlighted and sometimes it wasn't.

Detroitus
July 27th, 2020, 18:15
I had this issue yesterday. I updated and then the box was still highlighted indicating an update was needed. probably happened 5 or six times throughout the day.

bmos
July 27th, 2020, 18:34
I get this pretty often.
Red outlined button, click it and no files get updated.
But then the button isn't red anymore.