PDA

View Full Version : New GM question about using feats

Wert
July 23rd, 2020, 21:34
I’m just now getting back into D&D at my families request. They know I used to play a lot of AD&D while deployed aboard ship. Back then it was all pen and paper and you rolled actual dice. The DM was usually the guy with the greatest imagination. Anyway back to the point... I’ve been asked about allowing the use of feats for the characters in 5E. I’m wondering how many GM’s allow their use and for those that do use them how you allow them to be used.
Thanks in advance

LordEntrails
July 23rd, 2020, 21:42
I allow them, but, honestly I don't like them at level 1. I still allow them, but they often unbalance 1st level characters. But that's resolved no later than level 3. Since level 1 & 2 go buy so fast, not really an issue I worry about enough to put a drag on player's using them.

All that said, if you and the players are just getting back into D&D, I suggest you do not start with a big grandiose campaign. Figure you will run a simple module (Icespire or LMoP) that will last a handful of sessions. Then you will all create brand new characters and start a new campaign.

Wert
July 23rd, 2020, 21:51
I had planned on using LMoP but allowing them to create their own 1 lvl characters instead of using the canned characters.

Zacchaeus
July 23rd, 2020, 21:52
Yes, I allow them.

Only the human variant gets a feat at level 1 and any other race needs to wait until level 4. It is well balanced however because you can either take a feat or your ability score increase. So a character can usuallly only have a small number of feats during their lifespan since the ASI is way more important.

GavinRuneblade
July 24th, 2020, 06:16
I’m just now getting back into D&D at my families request. They know I used to play a lot of AD&D while deployed aboard ship. Back then it was all pen and paper and you rolled actual dice. The DM was usually the guy with the greatest imagination. Anyway back to the point... I’ve been asked about allowing the use of feats for the characters in 5E. I’m wondering how many GM’s allow their use and for those that do use them how you allow them to be used.
Thanks in advance

I use feats exactly as written in the rules. No free feat at level 1 (except for the human variant race where it is built in). I felt that grappling was too weak so I made the grappler feat just a default part of the grappling rules (everyone has the benefits of this one without needing to take the feat for it).

A few feats are overly popular with players and have caused heated debates where DM's think they are overpowered. These are Greatweapon Master, Sharpshooter, and Crossbow Expert. I allow them, but I do recognize that +10 damage at will, especially at low level, is very high, and the -5 to hit can almost be ignored with advantage. Crossbow expert allows an extra attack each round via the bonus action. My games haven't gotten broken by these feats. I do acknowledge there is a monstrous disparity in combat power between characters that take these feats and ones that don't. But my players are having fun, combat is not trivialized, so I'm ok with it. If my players start getting bored or the ones who don't take the feat start raising the language of "feat taxes" from earlier editions of the game, then I might revisit them.

I'm also pretty open to a lot of the Unearthed Arcana feats. A few of them are too good. A few are too weak. A few just don't make sense. But again, my players enjoy them and I've not had complaints about them yet. So it's all good.

TXCBoy36
July 24th, 2020, 06:24
I am currently running LmoP with my 2 kids and friends....I typically allow feats as they become available. The module is designed to take the 1st level characters to 3rd - 4th level which will allow for these feats to become more visible. They higher level the PC's get, the more passionate these kids get towards the game....its a great hook to get new players into the game....just let the a D&D adventure play out and they will love the game like the rest of us!!

Griogre
July 24th, 2020, 17:14
I use feats but but one of my few house rules is to take the feat "Heavy Armor Master" you have to be 4th level. It's the only feat that I think is really broken and unfun at 1st level. The -3 from weapon damage is too good against the cr 1/8s and 1/4s monsters. You end up killing someone else if you challenge them or its just a cakewalk if you don't.

In AL almost all people take this at first level if they can, which tells you all you need to know. Organized play is usually good at letting you know what is overpowered.

Wert
July 24th, 2020, 17:56
Thank you all, you’ve given me some things to think about. I’m not a fan of feats. I understand the need/desire to give humans some advantage to offset the advantages of the other races but I think feats go to far and give too much of an advantage. That said I’m going to allow their use in the interest of player enjoyment but I will change/add to LMoP to offset any “cakewalk”.
Thanks again

LordEntrails
July 24th, 2020, 19:16
Have fun, we look forward to how things work out :)

Wert
July 24th, 2020, 19:20
Thanks LordEntrails
Just a bit strange... I miss my pencil and paper

GavinRuneblade
July 25th, 2020, 05:49
Thanks LordEntrails
Just a bit strange... I miss my pencil and paper

I miss rolling dice. I totally understand the pencil and paper too though.

Rhym
July 25th, 2020, 19:04
Nearly every game allows feats. They're only optional because WotC overcompensated when moving from previous editions and made them optional by default, and imo, your game is a lot less desirable to join if you restrict things like feats or enforce just PHB classes or races. That being said, the feat balance could be much better. You could ban the use of certain feats if you're concerned about them. However, as a general rule, you should be pretty experienced before you go messing with RAW. There are a lot of DMs that overestimate their game design abilities.

Wert
July 25th, 2020, 23:34
Good points to consider Rhym and I appreciate the response. IMHO each DM plays differently and each has their own underlying motivations and playing style. In my case I don’t really care about inviting non-family players to my campaigns nor do I have any desire to design my own home brewed adventures. I got my fix/fill of that playing AD&D way back when. For me currently It’s all about playing a friendly game with family and spending some quality time with that family. I will allow them to use feats because they want to and I don’t want to curb their excitement for the game. I will however make the house rule that Heavy Armor Master is not to be used. I concur with others that it is broken and way out out of balance for a group of 1st level players.