PDA

View Full Version : Monster Entries

Sir Bayard
April 25th, 2007, 22:40
So, I noticed that you can drag and drop the tokens to individual monsters in the new d20 Monsters stats entries, so that when you drag and drop them into the combat tracker they automatically can assign the token you want for that default monster. It's completely awesome. Is there a way to transfer that info from one campaign to another, so you don't have to drag and drop the tokens you want to use for the default monster token for all your campaigns you DM? I noticed that all the ones I assigned in one campaign didn't carry over to the other campaign. It'd be kinda long and tedious if I were to say (not that I'm currently doing it) assign all the tokens for all the monsters in my campaign, then start another one and have to do it all over again (even if only for the monsters I'm using done beforehand, it'd be nice if the token assignments could carry over. if I chose to use a different token for one or two monsters in one campaign it's an easy change compared to draging over an ungodly amount of tokens that I already did once before)

If there's no way, I still love the feature enough to literally drag and drop twice, or three times, or however many times I need to do it, but for time constraints purposes...

Any info appreciated, thanks if you know the answer!

darkivel
April 26th, 2007, 00:29
Oh, wow. I hadn't realized that. That's awesome!

joshuha
April 26th, 2007, 01:15
What about looking at the XML entries and copying the reference to the token in there?

Sir Bayard
April 26th, 2007, 01:18
I know about as much about XML as my cat does, to be perfectly honest. That's why I don't really mess around in FG. Afraid I'll screw it up. But, if someone found where it was, and said what to do, I'm sure I could go off those instructions. if I can modify php code off instructions, I guess I could do that.

(Backing up all files of course)

richvalle
April 26th, 2007, 03:25
Thanks for mentioning that! I also had no idea you could do this.

rv

sozin
April 26th, 2007, 03:54
My advanced apologies for the dumb question!

I'm having problems reproducing the trick described above. I have a simple map with some troll tokens. I create a new personality ("Troll One"), and put in the d20 stats for that personality. How do I now associate the troll token with the new personality? I tried drag and dropping the icon on top of the personality sheet, but that seemed to not do anything.

Second question: how do I add new personalities to the combat tracker?

Thanks...!

EDIT: Figured it out. Drag and drop the Troll One (from the Personalities page) on the combat tracker.

Drag and drop the token on the top left of the Troll One personality page.

Griogre
April 26th, 2007, 03:54
Wow, I totally missed that you could do that, also. Sir Bayard it should be easy to cut and paste the xml for Personalities from campaign to campaign.

Griogre
April 26th, 2007, 03:58
I'm having problems reproducing the trick described above. I have a simple map with some troll tokens. I create a new personality ("Troll One"), and put in the d20 stats for that personality. How do I now associate the troll token with the new personality? I tried drag and dropping the icon on top of the personality sheet, but that seemed to not do anything.

Second question: how do I add new personalities to the combat tracker?

Do this:
1) Open your Troll One from the Personallity.
2) Grab a token and drag it to the dot in the top left corner of Troll One to the left of the square. The token should "stick" if you did it right.
3) Open the combat Tracker.
4) From your Open Personality Troll One drag and drop the square next to the token onto the combat tracker.
5) Drag the token in the combat tracker to the map.

sozin
April 26th, 2007, 04:02
Heh, beat me to it. Thanks much for the quick reply. (This community is FAST! Thoughtful reply to question after a mere few minutes!).

Sir Bayard
April 26th, 2007, 04:25
Woot! I found a new feature. lol I'll experiment with the copy personalities thing tomorrow, and post results if someone doesn't beat me to it (you guys are way faster and more active than I am.)

EDIT: Nevermind. Totally lost, on clue where to even look to find the personalities info, let alone where to find the token assignments to the monster pages and such. I leave that to some of the geniuses out there if they want to try and come up with a solution for the rest of us. lol

Griogre
April 26th, 2007, 04:37
That personality thing should be and easy cut and paste in the xml. My thought is does this work with modules and can you import personalities with tokens? If so, then you could just make a module with all the monsters as personalities add the tokens once and just import that module into all your different campaigns.

Sir Bayard
April 26th, 2007, 04:41
I could try the module thing and see if that works.. as for the XML, I don't even know which XML file to open or where in the XML file to find it. Completely clueless as far as that goes.

Griogre
April 26th, 2007, 05:02
The xml would be in the db.xml file. I was just playing with this and I don't think it will work. When I close FG and reopen it the token doesn't seem to stick all the time. I did get it to stick once with some tokens in the root token folder, hmm.

Ricboy
April 30th, 2007, 03:28
By the way can't get my token to stick... only on the traker can I add a token.. not on the monster sheet?

Griogre
April 30th, 2007, 04:27
Its easy to miss. You can only put a token on a creature in the personality list. To do so you just open the personality up. At the very top left on any of the personality tabs there is a brown circle next to the Personalities name.

You just drag your token and drop it on the brown dot. If the token looks like it vanished and did not stick it probably fell through to the wood under the personality. Currently this is not that useful until they get the portrait to stay between sessions and to be importable in modules. Once they do that it will be awesome.

Ricboy
April 30th, 2007, 14:38
So if I want to put it on a simple monster I have to drag it on the combat tracker then drag the token on it in the combat tracker. Or if the monster is to appear often I drag the monster in the personality then drag the token on the personnality version of the monster. When the monster is needed I drag the personality version to the combat tracker...

And I agree, there is not much advantage in using this until the token stays between session and/or modules.

Thanks!

Griogre
April 30th, 2007, 21:22
Yeah, once they get the tokens to stick with modules people will start making personally only modules with the tokens on them and the tokens included with the modules which will greatly simipilfy token storage management and that will be nice.