PDA

View Full Version : Module to Old School Essentials

phillgamboa
July 22nd, 2020, 22:40
Have a mode to run a campaign in d&d b/x or retro clones in Fantasy Grounds?

Ascending Armor Class and other options?

damned
July 23rd, 2020, 00:06
I would look at the 2E ruleset.

mogul76
July 23rd, 2020, 21:28
In my opinion, the easiest way to play D&D B/X or OSE in FG is to use damned's MoreCore ruleset. If you search the Digital Dungeon Master's channel on YouTube, you will find out how he was able to start a BECMI campaign thanks to MoreCore. By the way, the forum user Old Scouser Roleplaying has created a MoreCore extension for OSE. You can find it here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57651-Old-School-Essentials-for-MoreCore&highlight=essentials). But you can also easily set up an OSE campaign without such an extension. Just use MoreCore. It's very flexible and well supported.

mogul76
July 23rd, 2020, 22:01
By the way, here is a screenshot of my personal implementation of OSE in MoreCore. It's not very advanced yet, but now that I know how to set up the different rolls in MoreCore, I think I should be able to start an adventure relatively quickly. I don't use anything else but MoreCore and an OSR theme whose download location I currently cannot find.

ctcharger
July 31st, 2020, 02:14
I am starting to create a small B/X adventure using OSE also. It appears quite doable and I was able to run some basic combat against some Gnolls and Goblins. I am playing a 5e solo module and it is very well done and FG makes solo combat for me much easier. Still, the simplicity of B/X is the way I plan to go. I do have to build everything but there isn't that much needed on day 1 of an adventure and once it is done, it is done. I am having trouble creating encounters though which is annoying but not a deal breaker.