PDA

View Full Version : Packaging RuleSets

DrDeth
April 25th, 2007, 22:19
I've figured out where FG-II stores information about RuleSet packages (see the d20.pak in the install directory), but the package file seems to be a proprietry format (hence the d20unpak.exe Im sure).

What I'd like to see is a small utility for RuleSet creators to be able to package their RuleSets - therefore 'protecting' them, and giving commercial ventures, like Digital Adventures, more piece of mind that their RuleSets wont be pillaged for others' gain, so to speak.

If SmiteWorks isnt interesting in doing this, perhaps if anyone has information about the pak format, I could give it a bash...

Oberoten
April 25th, 2007, 22:36
The .pak files are basic Zip files with a changed extension.

Dachannien
April 25th, 2007, 22:40
On a side note, DRM is bad, m'kay?

joshuha
April 26th, 2007, 01:13
Also note that in FG 2 rulesets should be cached locally and I believe encrypted. A user should not have access to them after the session is over to send to others. I havent tested this out yet but was one of the features the devs mentioned at end of beta.

Donald Woody
April 26th, 2007, 04:10
Is there a way for me to use rulesets from version 1.05 in 2.0? My gaming group just started a modern/future campaign and it appears that I can't use the modern ruleset for 2.0. Is there a way to load the modern ruleset into 2.0? Please help..... thanks.

DrDeth
April 26th, 2007, 05:15
Wierd... Im pretty sure I tried changing the extension to Zip, but couldnt open it with a Zip program. I'll try again later.

Dachannien, what do you mean DRM is bad?

Oberoten
April 26th, 2007, 06:46
Is there a way for me to use rulesets from version 1.05 in 2.0? My gaming group just started a modern/future campaign and it appears that I can't use the modern ruleset for 2.0. Is there a way to load the modern ruleset into 2.0? Please help..... thanks.

At the moment... No, there isn't. There might or might not be a conversion kit down the road. But it is a bit of a complex problem since the older rulesets use only XML and the new ones will use both XML and LUA.

Oberoten
April 26th, 2007, 06:54
Wierd... Im pretty sure I tried changing the extension to Zip, but couldnt open it with a Zip program. I'll try again later.

Dachannien, what do you mean DRM is bad?

I am a lazy slob, so I basically just choose to associate the .pak file with winrar which seems to do the trick.

DrDeth
April 26th, 2007, 15:07
Works like a charm - thanks Oberoten.

Although its not very 'protective' is it? :(

Oberoten
April 26th, 2007, 16:02
The protection would be on the .dat files in the player's cache. I haven't checked how protected they are yet.

Ged
April 26th, 2007, 20:50
I wouldn't want to be a bore, but I must remind that:

USE OF THE FANTASY GROUNDS SOFTWARE PROVIDED WITH THIS AGREEMENT (THE "SOFTWARE") CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS.
4. REVERSE ENGINEERING. You agree that you will not attempt to reverse compile, modify, translate, or disassemble the SOFTWARE in whole or in part.

Oberoten
April 26th, 2007, 22:16
I was more thinking to see if it worked as intended. I haven't got the patience for brute-forcing. :)

Ged
April 26th, 2007, 22:26
Sure; although I'm dead serious about the issue, I wasn't really expecting any violations. My chiming in was 'just in case'... :ogre:

Culdraug
April 27th, 2007, 02:06
Ok, im a little confused and must confess that i dont read the licenses closely. Not decompiling an app though is standard for a software license.

My confusion comes from what I have read in this thread seems to speak of moding things that pertain to the rulesets. I thought we had free access to that? Or were folks getting close to a license violation?

Just curious what prompted the "chime in" so I dont go over that line.:D

Ged
April 27th, 2007, 06:13
Ok, im a little confused and must confess that i dont read the licenses closely. Not decompiling an app though is standard for a software license.

My confusion comes from what I have read in this thread seems to speak of moding things that pertain to the rulesets. I thought we had free access to that? Or were folks getting close to a license violation?

Just curious what prompted the "chime in" so I dont go over that line.:D
The ruleset is under Open Gaming License with the product identity stated in the license text readable on the "Host the game as a gamemaster" section of the launcher. Further, to make the ruleset definition easily available, FGII even comes with the d20unpack utility.

Encryption/decryption of data not owned or licensed (such as different caches or proprieatry rulesets) is different. We can provide the d20 ruleset as OGL (with the said product identity), but wish to provide means for a) GMs to play game without compromising their campaign material's privacy and b) to enable security to the management of intellectual property for the makers of prorieatry rulesets and other material.

Hope this clarified why I took the chance to pop up in the conversation - even though somewhat beside the point. :)

Thore_Ironrock
April 27th, 2007, 18:46
In addition to Ged's point, it is also import to note that although d20/OGL is considered "open source", that pertains to the data only. If OGL material is packaged in a perticular way (such as my own Complete SRD Ruleset, or say Mongoose's d20 Pocket Guide), that "presentation" of the data is protected under copyright law.

When it comes to how SmiteWorks is presenting OGL content in Fantasy Grounds, that content is protected even though the source of it is open. This also means that you could not take anything presented in FG, open or not, and try to sell, give away, deconstruct, or otherwise modify it for profit without their consent.

Thought I would present that since it seems that point had not been fully made. :)

Thore_Ironrock
April 27th, 2007, 18:49

Donald,

Digital Adventures will be bringing our d20 Modern SRD ruleset to Fantasy Grounds Version 2 this summer. Refer to my post on the issue here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5907&highlight=Adventures+2007

Hope this helps. :)

Thore_Ironrock
April 27th, 2007, 18:54
What I'd like to see is a small utility for RuleSet creators to be able to package their RuleSets - therefore 'protecting' them, and giving commercial ventures, like Digital Adventures, more piece of mind that their RuleSets wont be pillaged for others' gain, so to speak.

This point is very important when trying to get publishers interested in the online gaming world, especially since many have a bad taste in their mouths from having their products (scanned) or PDFs being shared peer-to-peer over the Internet these past few years. On the other hand, having a more secure version of Fantasy Grounds that does not share ruleset data also says leaps and bounds about protecting a publisher's copyrights, and makes my job that much easier in trying to get published products converted to this format.

DrDeth
April 30th, 2007, 08:23
USE OF THE FANTASY GROUNDS SOFTWARE PROVIDED WITH THIS AGREEMENT (THE "SOFTWARE") CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS.
4. REVERSE ENGINEERING. You agree that you will not attempt to reverse compile, modify, translate, or disassemble the SOFTWARE in whole or in part.

Ged, no infringement on the license is intended, and I've since scrapped this idea. However, it may be a nice addition for you guys to add - perhaps encrypting the packaged ruleset. Then, the d20unpak tool can still decrypt the ruleset for anyone wanting to make their own rulesets.

Additionally, you could provide the community with a tool to package their own rulesets in a similar manner.

Just an idea/feature request?