PDA

View Full Version : CoS radiant damage prevents regeneration

NuclearMonkey
July 21st, 2020, 18:11
I don't want to post this as a bug until I'm sure I am not just applying the effect incorrectly, which is likely. My PCs had an encounter with Strahd where one of them was using the radiant ability of the sun sword. When Strahd was in the range of the sword, I dragged the effect from Strahd's character sheet (the first time) onto Strahd in the Combat Tracker. The chat box indicated that the effect applied, but on his next turn Strahd still regenerated HP. The next round I dragged the effect from Strahd's list of abilities on the Combat Tracker the same thing happened. When doing the same thing for a vampire spawn with Strahd, the effect and regeneration prevention worked correctly. Is there a proper way to apply the effect to vampires that I am not using?

Zacchaeus
July 21st, 2020, 18:33
The vampire's regeneration ability is prevented if the target is hit with damage which prevents the regeneration. In Strahd's case the regeneration will only be prevented if he is hit with radiant damage. I don't know what effect you are referring to but there isn't one that I am aware of that will prevent the regeneration from happening.

If you are talking about the Sun Sword emitting bright light (which counts as sunlight) then an effect of DMGO: 20, radiant placed on Strahd whilst in proximity to the sword will deal the correct damage type and also prevent the regeneration. Or you could drag in a straightforward DMG: 20, radiant whichever you feel most appropriate. (Both of these effects would be created in the actions tab of the sword wielder and applied by that character to Strahd).

If the above is insufficient can you give further details of what it is your are doing which doesn't work.

NuclearMonkey
July 21st, 2020, 21:10
According to the chatlog, the effect was being applied. At the beginning of Strahd's next turn, though, he recovered hp.

LordEntrails
July 21st, 2020, 21:28
How about copying the correct parts of the chat log or screen shots of the chat and the CT with effects? Maybe there is a typo or not, but then it will be easier to duplicate if we have exact details.

Zacchaeus
July 21st, 2020, 22:09
According to the chatlog, the effect was being applied. At the beginning of Strahd's next turn, though, he recovered hp.

I'm not seeing that. As LE says maybe a screenshot or two of the effect you are applying and the chat.

NuclearMonkey
July 22nd, 2020, 18:03
Thanks for putting this much effort into this. I was just looking to see if I was doing something obviously wrong. I created a new campaign with no extensions and everything worked correctly, so either an extension was causing a problem (which I'll test and figure out which one) or I was applying the effect at a time during the turn order where it caused it not to apply like I expected. If it is an extension, I'll post a reply here so that if someone else encounters the same problem later a search of the forum with find a potential solution.

Thanks again!