PDA

View Full Version : How to add poison damage to a NPC weapon?

kalmarjan
July 21st, 2020, 16:01
I am converting one of my favorite adventures from Dragon magazine, and in it the Orc leader has a poisoned weapon. I have converted it to the Serpent Venom from the DMG, and I'm looking to see how to apply it to the NPC's sword. Right now the only way I can figure it is to add an extra action, but I am curious if there is any way to automate this for a NPC?

Then again, it is a one-use injury poison, so perhaps there is no reason to?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks all!

(Edit to add that I am currently using FG Classic, and am not sure if the new UNITY version has a way to do it.)

Zacchaeus
July 21st, 2020, 16:10
See here for all the information you need on creating automatic stuff on NPCs https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/721028/5E+NPCs+and+Encounters

In your case I'd add a special ability which includes wording along the lines of 'causes an extra ndn poison damage'. THis I think will create an effect of DMG: ndn, poison on the CT which you can then drag onto the NPC before damage is dealt.

If that doesn't work then a separate weapon line would be the way to go.

Three of Swords
July 21st, 2020, 16:13
For a one-time event like this, I would add a new Trait to the NPC character sheet. It's quick and easy. Something like:

Poisoned Blade. Upon the first successful melee attack, the target takes an additional 2d6 poison damage.

kalmarjan
July 21st, 2020, 16:17
Awesome, thank you guys for the quick reply! In the end I'll just use the one line on the NPC character sheet, but it looks like I'll need to dig further. :)

LordEntrails
July 21st, 2020, 16:33
Check out the drow &/or the drow elite warrior who are NPCs that both? of these have poison attacks. I believe the Elite has a poisoned sword that does slashing and poison damage (with a save).

Three of Swords
July 21st, 2020, 16:40
If you think you'll be seeing more NPCs with poisoned blades, an effect is an option as well. The effect would be:

Poisoned Blade; DMG: 2d6 poison

Then click on the "All" button on the left side of it until reads "Roll". That way it only does it once. But you'll have to remember to apply the effect at the start of each fight.

GavinRuneblade
July 21st, 2020, 17:42
If you think you'll be seeing more NPCs with poisoned blades, an effect is an option as well. The effect would be:

Then click on the "All" button on the left side of it until reads "Roll". That way it only does it once. But you'll have to remember to apply the effect at the start of each fight.

I have a bunch of effects like this, the nice thing is you can edit them, poison for this fight with assassins and fire for the fight with the efreeti's servants, etc.

kalmarjan
July 21st, 2020, 18:15

I like this idea, but I have to admit that I'm not sure where the effect would be at? I am still trying to catch up with FG...

It has been a long time...

LordEntrails
July 21st, 2020, 18:28
I like this idea, but I have to admit that I'm not sure where the effect would be at? I am still trying to catch up with FG...

It has been a long time...
Effects list, icon in the top right. Only GM can add effects to this list.

kalmarjan
July 21st, 2020, 18:39
Effects list, icon in the top right. Only GM can add effects to this list.

Nice! That's a fast way to do it for sure! I would need to add it to the NPC in question before I attack I think?

Zacchaeus
July 21st, 2020, 18:42
Correct.