PDA

View Full Version : Wishlist for the FG store

Granamere
July 20th, 2020, 18:55
Is there any chance of getting a wishlist feature added to the Fantasy Grounds store? I find things and sometime want to think about them before I buy them. AKA see if there is another product out there like it and if there is one that fits better into my party's play style. A wishlish give me a place to save stuff so I can come back and find it when I do this easier later.

Pretty please?

Nylanfs
July 20th, 2020, 19:11
OR, now hear me out, you just buy everything in the store. See problem solved. :D

Granamere
July 20th, 2020, 19:19
You make I good point. I also need a filter to show me what I do not own. :)

Valyar
July 20th, 2020, 20:53
Better filter is a must.

Ozsome
July 21st, 2020, 23:13
Is there a way to just get maps from an official release? Until quarantine I had been running a campaign of ToEE using the T1-4 original book and I was converting to 5E on the fly as we played in person. I see that ToEE is available but only if you have the 2E license. I would be happy to buy the maps and I could make the encounters myself. We were already 1/2 way through so I wouldn't have to type up the whole book. The maps are just numerous and too much of a pain to build.
If I could get the maps for 1/2 the price that would be awesome!

Granamere
July 22nd, 2020, 00:00
Is there a way to just get maps from an official release? Until quarantine I had been running a campaign of ToEE using the T1-4 original book and I was converting to 5E on the fly as we played in person. I see that ToEE is available but only if you have the 2E license. I would be happy to buy the maps and I could make the encounters myself. We were already 1/2 way through so I wouldn't have to type up the whole book. The maps are just numerous and too much of a pain to build.

Download this.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41034-Universal-Module-Extension
It will allow you to open the 2e module in your 5e game. You will still need to buy the module.

LordEntrails
July 22nd, 2020, 00:10
The 2E ruleset is included free, if you are updated it should show up in your ruleset list when creating a new campaign.

No you can't buy maps only. Some of the newer adventures you can find maps for sale by the cartographer(s) on their own sites (i.e. Blando, Schley, Logos, etc) But you can import maps if your buy the pdf from www.dmsguild.com but cant attest to their resolution.

Also you open a module from any ruleset in a different ruleset if you use this extension; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41034-Universal-Module-Extension

Ozsome
July 22nd, 2020, 00:19
Going to give it a shot. Will buy it this weekend and use the extension. Thank you very much for the link!!!

Nylanfs
July 22nd, 2020, 12:40
Note, look up the map artists and you can likely buy maps from the artists website.

robert4818
July 22nd, 2020, 13:17
Honestly,
I believe the store needs a complete overhaul. It feels very archaic and poorly done.

deer_buster
July 22nd, 2020, 13:17
Is there any chance of getting a wishlist feature added to the Fantasy Grounds store? I find things and sometime want to think about them before I buy them. AKA see if there is another product out there like it and if there is one that fits better into my party's play style. A wishlish give me a place to save stuff so I can come back and find it when I do this easier later.

Pretty please?

One option: Use Steam as a "wishlist". Store does need some love, but too much else going on that needs coding...although seems like there would be better off-the-shelf stores that could be plugged in.

Granamere
July 22nd, 2020, 13:26
Note, look up the map artists and you can likely buy maps from the artists website.

The original Temple of Elemental Evil was an old school TSR product. Mine is Copyright 1985 a little before artists put their stuff on the internet. It has a cool history and was originally started by Gary Gygax himself. Not to say he did the art work but at that point it was all done by in house staff and I bet TSR owned all of the rights to it.

Nylanfs
July 22nd, 2020, 14:30
Oh, I didn't realize we were talking about the original. :)

MythingLynx
August 8th, 2020, 17:38
I am kinda bewildered here as to the lack of interest on the part of the devs here to not only ignore answering the main question of this thread, but to seemingly be totally out of touch and oblivious with the needs of their customers and the way ALL online content stores provide the most basic of features like a wishlist. I can't name a single store on the web that sells digital items like software, games, comics, novels, collectables, etc., or physical that doesn't offer this obviously needed and basic feature. You would think that the devs or CEO or somebody would realize that it would be advantages to them to make our shopping experience easier so that we can spend more money in their store, which in turn, surprise, surprise would increase their revenue. US: "Hey devs, I know this is should already be a given, but can we have a wishlist so we can build an easy goto when storing the items we want to buy from you? You know so you can make more money." THEM: (silence except the faint sound of crickets out in the field).

MythingLynx
August 8th, 2020, 17:48
If you can guess by my last post I am quite annoyed at the lack of a wishlist. I currently am planning on buying quite a few Kobold Press campaign books, adventures, plus the core book, but need to have them in a single place without having to go to the trouble of doing a search and scrolling through the pages of content every time I need to check a price or see the books content. I have to narrow down the four, five or six books I need the most. Some of the books are a bit on the expensive side for me so I need to have a list of the ones that are the most essential and that I can afford.

Zacchaeus
August 8th, 2020, 17:51
I don't think you can surmise that the devs have no interest just because no-one has replied to this thread. The proper place for enhancement requests is the wish list (ironically enough) - link in my signature. Also note you're only the second or third person to request something like this - so at the moment it isn't something that is generally requested.

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2020, 17:56
I am kinda bewildered here as to the lack of interest on the part of the devs here to not only ignore answering the main question of this thread, but to seemingly be totally out of touch and oblivious with the needs of their customers and the way ALL online content stores provide the most basic of features like a wishlist. ...
My experience shows me that SmiteWorks reads the forums and is well in touch with their customers and the greater world. But when they don't have value to add to a conversation, they usually will not respond. Because all such responses tend to do is to polarize those that do not agree with their decision(s).

Requests and features like this are great ideas, but they must be weighted and considered against thousands of other such requests. And, when such requests have an acceptable work around (in this case, use the Steam wish list) they get a lower priority. Another way to think of it, do you think the greater community of users would rather have a wishlist on the store, or have connection issues with FGU resolved? Would the greater community benefit more from having an updated wiki and/or user manual for FGU, or a wish list on the store?

Those are the types of choices the devs have to make. Its (almost?) never about simple deciding not to do something, but rather deciding what to do first. Because, its a matter of time and resources. Every decision is a trade-off.

MythingLynx
August 8th, 2020, 18:30
Wow, did the moderators here just delete my last post on this thread? I guess I struck a nerve by stating a truth they don't want known. My post was about the main point of this thread before the subject derailed and how shocking it is that we as loyal customers don't have something as simple and basic as a wishlist to make our purchasing experience organized and easier so that we can spend more money in their store. Unbelievable.

****Please disregard this post as the error is my own******

Bonkon
August 8th, 2020, 18:35
Wow, did the moderators here just delete my last post on this thread? I guess I struck a nerve by stating a truth they don't want known. My post was about the main point of this thread before the subject derailed and how shocking it is that we as loyal customers don't have something as simple and basic as a wishlist to make our purchasing experience organized and easier so that we can spend more money in their store. Unbelievable.

Good Day MythingLynx :)
I see in post #14 above you discussing those exact issues, was there another post that is missing? :)
I am not sure I have ever seen the Moderators delete posts, I have seen them close threads that have gotten disrespectful or gotten so far off the rails that it is not a productive conversation anymore. :)

Zacchaeus
August 8th, 2020, 18:46

None of your posts have been deleted. At least I only see post #14 and #15 above. If you posted more than that they didn't come through.

And just as an FYI; posts are not generally deleted unless they are abusive to other forum members or are things like spam etc. The devs and moderators can take abuse - well up to a point. But it is more likely that a thread would get locked rather than posts deleted.

This forum is an open one and we don't delete or close posts or threads just because the post or thread is critical of the developers.

MythingLynx
August 8th, 2020, 18:49
Hi Bonkon, You are correct. My posts appear to now be there. I had come back to this thread to check the status or reply to my post and found both my posts missing. I guess there must have been some kind of glitch on my end as my posts were not appearing when I last checked. Apologies to the moderators here for accusing you of deleting my posts, when it appears that is not the case. Hopefully someone here at Smiteworks can explain why there is currently no wishlist available for its customers and if they have any plans in the future to correct this.

MythingLynx
August 8th, 2020, 18:53
Zacchaeus, my apologies for the accusations, I see you are correct and that the error must have been on my end. I have a great deal of respect for you personally, as you have always been here for the community and have been very helpful in answering my posts and questions in the past. Sorry again for the mishap on my part.

Zacchaeus
August 8th, 2020, 18:57
Zacchaeus, my apologies for the accusations, I see you are correct and that the error must have been on my end. I have a great deal of respect for you personally, as you have always been here for the community and have been very helpful in answering my posts and questions in the past. Sorry again for the mishap on my part.

No worries.

Make sure you add your request to the wish list. That's the place where the developers will be most likely to see your request. They won't be able to read every post and they might well miss this one. So just in case add that request.

(And then post the link here so others can vote on it)

Granamere
August 8th, 2020, 19:19
Is there anyway to search the idea informer website list for Wishlist? I could be just missing it but I can not find a way to search. :)

I have no idea how large SmiteWorks is but normally the guy that does the website is not the same guy that codes the product. Then again this online store has to unlock the product so it can be downloaded so it is probably tighter integrated than most online stores.

I know use the steam Wishlist but without it reflecting what I have bought here I will have things there on the list that I will have bought here. I already double bought once not realizing that was the case so I need to stick to once place.

Currently my new plan is just wait till it goes on sale and if I want it and it does not show I have bought it then it is time to get it. :)

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2020, 19:39
Hopefully someone here at Smiteworks can explain why there is currently no wishlist available for its customers and if they have any plans in the future to correct this.
They might, but replying to every post on the forums would take time, time away development and higher value tasks. As mentioned before by me, the devs have to consider thousands of things, and prioritize those that are most important.

Is there anyway to search the idea informer website list for Wishlist? I could be just missing it but I can not find a way to search. :)
In the box right below "I would like to..." start typing. Do not hit enter. It will search automatically.

I have no idea how large SmiteWorks is but normally the guy that does the website is not the same guy that codes the product. Then again this online store has to unlock the product so it can be downloaded so it is probably tighter integrated than most online stores.
Perhaps 8 folks now? I think they now have 4 devs, 3 customer support and 1 marketing. Not exactly sure. The person who does the website (at least last I knew) happens to be the president of the company and as you can imagine, has lots of responsibilities.

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2020, 19:44
The suggestion for a Store Wish List is already on the feature wish list; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=118601
It was added in 2018 and has 10 votes.

deer_buster
August 8th, 2020, 20:31
The suggestion for a Store Wish List is already on the feature wish list; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=118601
It was added in 2018 and has 10 votes.

Just my two cents, but I don't think people give much credence to the "wish list" at idea informer. It's not intuitive to use, doesn't have categories to filter (such as specific rulesets, client, web store, forum, et.al) what you want to see, and feedback appears to be minimal. There is no roadmap as to what is upcoming or planned. You might get lucky and see a status update to planned or some such at idea informer, but for all intents and purposes it seems to get lost in a black hole....so I don't think you can equate only 10 votes since 2018 as lack of desire by the community.

Zacchaeus
August 8th, 2020, 20:37
Just my two cents, but I don't think people give much credence to the "wish list" at idea informer. It's not intuitive to use, doesn't have categories to filter (such as specific rulesets, client, web store, forum, et.al) what you want to see, and feedback appears to be minimal. There is no roadmap as to what is upcoming or planned. You might get lucky and see a status update to planned or some such at idea informer, but for all intents and purposes it seems to get lost in a black hole....so I don't think you can equate only 10 votes since 2018 as lack of desire by the community.

Yes, it does look like that and you are right there's not a huge amount of feedback.

But I can tell you that the devs do absolutely look at the wishlist and do definitely pay attention to it. I think LE has it right in his post above; it's a question of what is more important at any one time. I don't know the intricacies of the store and how it's put together but I'm going to assume that adding a wishlist isn't trivial and could swallow up a lot of time which should be spent on other more pressing matters.

But who knows, it's on the list and it will have been seen. So it's on someone's todo list since it is under consideration and hasn't been rejected.

deer_buster
August 8th, 2020, 20:42
So it's on someone's todo list since it is under consideration and hasn't been rejected.

I think you are mistaking "Under Consideration" with "Planned" as being on a "TODO" list.

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2020, 20:46
Not giving it credence is ... hampering your own ability to influence the future development of FG. 10 votes is what it is, whether you feel that reflects the importance of the request or not, it is how many times it has been voted for. I linked it here so that folks that are interested can vote on it if they chose. I can also say it is used by the devs. I have seen suggestions made on it turned into features in FG, some in very short time, but most take significant time.

It is the method the devs have stated time and again is what they want the community to use. Posts on the forums here get lost and buried after a few weeks or months. The can't be voted on, or filtered either.

By no means is the Idea Informer site ideal, but it is what we have to use. If community member do not give it credence, and do not voice their priorities by voting there, then they are not having their opinions heard as well as they could be.

As for status updates... Again, doing so would be nice, but also would take devloper time away from software development, and would cause problems. A roadmap also causes problems, and is something few places do in detail, in part because it leads the community to insist on more information, and to debate the plans, and to once again draw resources away from development.

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2020, 20:53
I think you are mistaking "Under Consideration" with "Planned" as being on a "TODO" list.
Under Consideration simple means it has not been rejected. SmiteWorks almost never mentions what is on their Planned or Todo list. Generally unless they have already committed to it, they don't make it publicly known.

In general most software developers consider it a very bad idea to make public any roadmap of features. It hinders flexibility, invites disagreement, and distracts focus. And it can often divide a community. Sure, I would love to know their plans. Given I'm in application development myself I think I have a professional curiosity. But I still don't want them to make any such plans public. That information is proprietary, and needs to stay that way.

Granamere
August 8th, 2020, 22:52
I have to disagree with you. Every software company I have work for had to provide a public roadmap of what we were working on. The pubic companies have to let the stockholders know. The private companies had to show our customers what was coming in order to keep them. In the private side in one company most of what we were developing was exactly what they were asking for so they wanted very detailed roadmaps and dates.

SmiteWorks I think we all know what they are working on. Unity. Since it seems that less than a dozen people work there that is a full time job and a half. Since they are a small company they do not have to have a real posted roadmap but that will hurt them if they want to grow. You have to keep your users excited about what is to come and talking about you. People want to hear about new features and where things are headed. I think the kickstarter did a a great job of that.

This is all far off the topic of this post.

If you want a Wishlist in the Fantasy grounds store klick the link and upvote it. :)
https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135468
Edited to update the link to the new link.

Zacchaeus
August 8th, 2020, 23:37
I think we have a roadmap.

We know the priority is to get Unity out of Beta. We know about the character wizard and what the next stage of that will be. We can see the map making abilities with Josh’s incredible Art Packs and the recent updates to the map making and LoS tools. We know that Dominic has showcased his Theatre of the Mind work and his changes to the UI. We know that after release high on the list is some form of dynamic lighting. We know that movement is something of a high priority as well and we know the devs are keen to look at the way effects are done. We know that things are moving forward and there are exciting times ahead.

We also know as well of course that it is impossible to fulfill everyone’s desires.

deer_buster
August 9th, 2020, 05:23
In general most software developers consider it a very bad idea to make public any roadmap of features. It hinders flexibility, invites disagreement, and distracts focus. And it can often divide a community. Sure, I would love to know their plans. Given I'm in application development myself I think I have a professional curiosity. But I still don't want them to make any such plans public. That information is proprietary, and needs to stay that way.

I have to disagree with you. Every software company I have work for had to provide a public roadmap of what we were working on. The pubic companies have to let the stockholders know. The private companies had to show our customers what was coming in order to keep them. In the private side in one company most of what we were developing was exactly what they were asking for so they wanted very detailed roadmaps and dates.

I have to politely disagree with you LE, and agree with Granamere. Our experience is different than yours apparently. Mine is coming from a software engineering background developing internal applications and supporting custom software suites from external software vendors in the corporate America. Users want to know what the developers of the products they purchase and use are working towards, even if there isn't a set date until it gets close to release (or pilot group, or alpha/beta testing). I have to provide it at work for internal products I work on. I pretty much demand it from software vendors that I am the administrator and purchasing decision for, otherwise their MSAs are worthless to us. We demand fore-knowledge of what is in a release prior to it being implemented in even our development environments.

The large majority of our software vendors also have conferences where they lay out the roadmap of upcoming features that are set in the pipeline, what they want to do (forward looking statements that may or not happen for various reasons), and generally an overall discussion of what the community wants. I know SW isn't big enough to have conferences, but that doesn't preclude letting the community know the roadmap. Yes, we all know Unity is THE priority for Doug and John, and we've seen some positive strides forward by the new ruleset devs that were hired.

I think the request for roadmaps is more based on the general thirst for knowledge of our community, and it can be given with caveats (as companies with roadmaps do). You might find that features you are currently working on are generally not important to the end users, or you may find that a feature that you are putting off until later is actually more important than what you are currently working on...and you get that with feedback from your community when they know what you are working on.

All that being said, I've voted on several items in the wishlist in the past. The "issues" I laid out in my previous post are things that I think hampers or discourages community members from going out there...that is all.

Thanks for your attention and interaction with the community!

Granamere
January 22nd, 2021, 22:20
For all that voted for this in the past will you please do so again.

New year, new FG Unity, new list of items. I can not blame you for starting fresh everything change with the release of Unity. :)

Trenloe
January 22nd, 2021, 22:26
For all that voted for this in the past will you please do so again.

Why haven't you voted?

;)

Granamere
January 22nd, 2021, 22:29
It seems if you make the post you can not vote for it yourself. I can vote for the other ideas just not my own.

Here is what I see.

Mytherus
January 26th, 2021, 03:06
A wishlist would be nice but im amazed , after skimming this thread how much drama was going on about it. Its not a HUGE deal for a wishlist for I'd guess the majority of customers, a nice to have ...sure.

I also am amazed how many people get riled up "i cant believe Smiteworks didnt add this yet or why isnt blah feature in fg yet etc. ....and theres like what 6 people coding everything and mostly working on Unity.

It pretty damn impressive what we have now from Smiteworks given the small size team.

Nylanfs
January 26th, 2021, 12:15
Well, you know, internet. Everything is so pleasant here that we need to get outraged over something. :)

Jiminimonka
January 28th, 2021, 12:38
A wishlist would be nice but im amazed , after skimming this thread how much drama was going on about it. Its not a HUGE deal for a wishlist for I'd guess the majority of customers, a nice to have ...sure.

I also am amazed how many people get riled up "i cant believe Smiteworks didnt add this yet or why isnt blah feature in fg yet etc. ....and theres like what 6 people coding everything and mostly working on Unity.

It pretty damn impressive what we have now from Smiteworks given the small size team.

Yeah, ... but that is the internet for you.