PDA

View Full Version : Editing races in d20basicrules.mod

The High Druid
April 25th, 2007, 14:54
I'm trying to edit d20basicrules.mod to include subraces. What I'd like to do is add another expandable level under the main headings on the races window, so when you click on Elves it expands to:

Dwarves
Elves
-Aquatic Elf
-Drow
-Grey Elf
-High Elf
-Wild Elf
-Wood Elf
Gnomes
Halflings
Humans

And then expands again to reveal the sub race details as it currently does for race. So far my attempts have failed by alterating the location of some of the tags and/or adding and deleting them so I'm obviously missing something (that's probably blindingly obvious). I can just add the extra races in so they become individual entries on the race window, but that's not what I'm after, simply from an aesthetics point of view. So the question is how do I modify this to make it work and does anything need changing outside the races tags? If some could please point out what changes need to be made and most importanly why, hopefully I won't have to ask again!

<races>
<librarylink type="windowreference">
<class>referenceinlineindex</class>
<recordname>..</recordname>
</librarylink>
<name type="string">Races</name>
<index>
<elves>
<name type="string">Elves</name>
<aquaticelf>
<name type="string">Aquatic Elves</name>
<text type="formattedtext">
<list>
<li>Aquatic Elf Description.</li>
</list>
</text>
<aquaticelf>
<nextelf>
</nextelf>
</elves>
<nextrace>
</nextrace>
</index>
</races>

Goblin-King
April 25th, 2007, 15:22
The one level folding is a feature of the windowclass used to display the race list. You'd have to make a custom window type to support two levels of folding. The reason is that modules contain the data, and rulesets contain the rules for displaying that data in the windows. Although you can get a suitable format for the data itself, there's no window definition that will do it in the d20 ruleset at the moment.

Also, you will probably want to use a different name for your module or the file will be overwritten the next time you run the update.

The High Druid
April 25th, 2007, 15:29
Bugger.

Thanks for the swift reply. I'll get around it by creating a races module instead then so Elves, Dwarves etc are categories in the library window.

The High Druid
April 25th, 2007, 19:52
Okay it's done. Just a cut/paste/format jobby of the sub-races that appear in the SRD monster list so nothing special really, but it seems to work. It's availble here (https://d20.gamesmaster.org/downloads/d20races.zip) if anyone wants to try it out, just drop it into the modules folder and change .zip to .mod. Let me know if you have any troubles or spot any glaring errors or typos.

I plan to add a 'Fey' heading for satyr's and pixies and the like, and other odds and ends soon.

Zakarius
April 29th, 2007, 08:19
Okay it's done. Just a cut/paste/format jobby of the sub-races that appear in the SRD monster list so nothing special really, but it seems to work. It's availble here (https://d20.gamesmaster.org/downloads/d20races.zip) if anyone wants to try it out, just drop it into the modules folder and change .zip to .mod. Let me know if you have any troubles or spot any glaring errors or typos.

I'd like to give your alteration a whirl but have a rather strange problem -- my Chinese-version Windows XP won't let me change a document's filetype. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Zakarius

JMOxx75
April 29th, 2007, 08:29
Also, you will probably want to use a different name for your module or the file will be overwritten the next time you run the update.

After running the upak thing do I copy the d20 ruleset from the lexamples folder to the ruleset folder and rename it in there?

If I make changes to the d20 basic rules module do I have to rename the module as well? If I do then where else do I have to make changes so it still works?

The High Druid
April 29th, 2007, 18:18
I'd like to give your alteration a whirl but have a rather strange problem -- my Chinese-version Windows XP won't let me change a document's filetype. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Zakarius

Dunno if it would work the same way on your system, but could try doing it from a command prompt:

- Drop the file into c:\ in the GUI
- Goto Start > Run and type "cmd" in the box
- type "rename c:\d20races.zip d20races.mod"
- close the command window go back to the GUI and copy the file to the mods folder.

Ummm don't use the quotes they are just there to isolate the text you type in; and the reason for dropping the file into c:\ was just to save trying to navigate to the right directory from the prompt.

DrDeth
April 30th, 2007, 08:51

This would probably be the case for anyone who uses the default XP folder options where file extensions are hidden. You can turn on the display of file extensions in the Tools > Folder Options... dialog from Windows Explorer.

Zakarius
April 30th, 2007, 14:53
Yeah, thanks for the suggestions... I was able to finally track down the option to 'show/reveal' the file extensions (and apparently that also allows you to alter them).

Zakarius