PDA

View Full Version : Lost all my files

LostSpirit
July 18th, 2020, 00:07
Hi, good night.
I had to format my computer with no backup and I lost all my campaign files. Is there any way I can recover them? I didnt know it was all stored in my computer..i tought it was in FG servers or something :(

Zacchaeus
July 18th, 2020, 00:13
Hi LostSpirit, welcome to FG.

Sorry to hear about your hard drive. Unfortunately unless you have a backup of your data, or can recover the files somehow from your old drive the files are gone.

damned
July 18th, 2020, 04:29
You can probably get your players to export their characters before they connect up to your next session.
You could try a file recovery application - you might get lucky. Search only for db.xml that is the most important file to recover.

Going forward - please, please do backup your campaigns.

LostSpirit
July 22nd, 2020, 03:52
You can probably get your players to export their characters before they connect up to your next session.
You could try a file recovery application - you might get lucky. Search only for db.xml that is the most important file to recover.

Going forward - please, please do backup your campaigns.

Where they get the file? They looked it up in the fantasy grounds folder but they couldn't find it

damned
July 22nd, 2020, 04:58
Hi Lost Spirit

In FGC start Fantasy Grounds - this is for the players - and choose Manage Characters.
Then select your campaign name and then when it loads choose Characters.
From there they can export the characters using the down arrow key.
Each player will need to do the same and send you the XML files.

I cant recall the process for FGU.

LostSpirit
July 22nd, 2020, 19:49
Hi Lost Spirit

In FGC start Fantasy Grounds - this is for the players - and choose Manage Characters.
Then select your campaign name and then when it loads choose Characters.
From there they can export the characters using the down arrow key.
Each player will need to do the same and send you the XML files.

I cant recall the process for FGU.

Thank you very much, at least I could get their characters back. I really didn't know all data of the caimpgn was in my computer, I thought it was in FG servers or something linked to my account,just like roll20 is. I used to play on roll20 but after my friend showed FG to me I loved it so much! (can I talk about roll20 here? Sorry for anything) . I imagine how much people went trought the same as I did. A little note on the launcher about this could be very helpful.

damned
July 23rd, 2020, 00:36
By default - applications that run on your computer store data on your computer.
Roll20 is accessed through a web browser and the data is stored on the website.