PDA

View Full Version : Modules not opening for players

darkivel
April 25th, 2007, 00:17
I have all four modules activated on the GM client.

When players log in, they see only the d20 Basic Rules and d20 Spells at first. I have tried this both with "allow" and "force" permissions for players.

If I change permissions while a player logs in, they can see all four, although the book image doesn't load for the monsters or magic items.

At no point can players activate the modules. They drag the book open, but it slams back shut.

Also, they have a little web icon over the book that I don't see.

When I log in as a player on my own computer, I can activate the modules, but still only see two of them. I have no web icon.

Goblin-King
April 25th, 2007, 07:10
Modules can contain three kinds of data:
Player data is accessible by anyone who has the module installed. The basic rules and spells modules that come with the d20 ruleset are of this kind.
Common data is accessible by all clients connected to a host who activates a module with common data. The players can access that data remotely, even though they don't have the module themselves. There is no data like this in the default d20 modules.
Host data is only accessible by a GM who has a module containing such data. The magic items and monsters modules are of this kindThe GM has to approve the loading of each module. It is possible for players to have a module (with player data) that the GM doesn't have, and in such a case the GM can decide not to allow that module in his game. The GM can also force the players to load a particular module if they have it locally installed.

The web icon means that the module is remote, i.e. a player module the GM does not have, or a GM module shared to the players.

Activating modules is somewhat different from setting permissions. A GM can allow the loading of d20 Spells, but not load it himself. Or he can load it himself and not touch the permissions flag.

Giving clients permission to load host only modules (monsters and magic items in the case of d20) does not really make any sense, and I can see how that might confuse your players. I will look into this issue.

darkivel
April 25th, 2007, 15:07
Both monster and magic item info is somethign they have easy access to through the online SRD anyway, so the monster module especially I thought would be handy for them to access for the purpose of summoning spells and the like. But if those are designated host only, that's not a huge problem.

The most important thing is that they be able to open the spells and basic rules modules.

nezzir
April 25th, 2007, 19:21
I ran the update, but I guess I need to know where the change is because it still doesn't work in my custom ruleset.

darkivel
April 25th, 2007, 19:24
My players are also still unable to open things, but I don't think update addressed this issue. Unless I'm not understanding the patch notes.

darkivel
April 25th, 2007, 19:27
Goblin King, having read your message over a few times, am I correct in thinking that the players need to have the base rule and spell modules physically installed on their own systems to work? So I would just need to send them the modified files?

The High Druid
April 25th, 2007, 19:45
From what I can gather magic items and monsters won't be visible for players at all. Basics and spells can be set to forced (all players connecting will load them), allow (players can use those modules but have to load them themselves) or deny (which stops the players from loading them).

nezzir
April 25th, 2007, 21:25
From what I can gather magic items and monsters won't be visible for players at all. Basics and spells can be set to forced (all players connecting will load them), allow (players can use those modules but have to load them themselves) or deny (which stops the players from loading them).

My ruleset is different. I have three (custom) modules that I want the players to have access to and one that is GM only. Does the name of the files have anything to do with it (client vs. db)?

Also, still can't open modules on client side.

nezzir
April 25th, 2007, 21:39
What I've found so far:

The modules will only load for the Lite client if two criteria are met:

1. The .xml file (inside the mod zip) must be named client.xml and not data.xml
2. The .xml files must be present on the computer running the lite version

Once I renamed my Item file (which replaces the d20 magic item file) from db.xml to client.xml, and copied the mod files to my remote Lite Client machine, I was able to open the mod files in Lite.

The High Druid
April 25th, 2007, 22:47
Ah I had a similar issue earlier, I was making a module called d20races.mod and I named the xml file it contained d20races.xml. Took me a while to figure out I had to change the xml filename.

Cantstanzya
April 26th, 2007, 04:12
What I've found so far:

The modules will only load for the Lite client if two criteria are met:

1. The .xml file (inside the mod zip) must be named client.xml and not data.xml
2. The .xml files must be present on the computer running the lite version
How can this file be transfered to the client automatically? It doesn't seem practical to have to email everyone this file so that it is on their system.

Goblin-King
April 26th, 2007, 06:43
Yes, for clients to be able to open modules, they must contain player data (client.xml) and be installed locally.

To pass the players data from the host, use the file name common.xml. These modules can be activated by the host, and all clients will get the data. However, they still can't access the data on their own without having the module.

All three types can be mixed within a module if so desired, i.e. a module can contain any combination of the three files client.xml, common.xml and db.xml.

Dachannien
April 26th, 2007, 08:43
So for the aforementioned summoned critters module, you could just copy the content from the MM module (don't forget to get all the various XML tags you need) for things you can summon, name it client.xml instead of data.xml, and then the players can use it.

Someone willing to make the effort could also include menus in the module that would organize the monsters by the spell that summons them.... :)

Cantstanzya
April 26th, 2007, 11:58
To pass the players data from the host, use the file name common.xml. These modules can be activated by the host, and all clients will get the data. However, they still can't access the data on their own without having the module.Maybe it's too early for me to understand this, but what do you mean by "use the file name common.xml"?

The High Druid
April 26th, 2007, 12:03
Maybe it's too early for me to understand this, but what do you mean by "use the file name common.xml"?
The mod files can contain data in any or all three of db.xml, client.xml and common xml and what it's called determines how the information is shared with players.