PDA

View Full Version : NPC Baddies

greowhiste
April 24th, 2007, 19:07
Okay, I'm a DM and I would like to get feedback on how people use baddies in their game. I see there is a Personalities folder, and in that folder you can add a subfolder of bad guys, and that's how i was going to do it (just in case any of them wanted to talk or something). But i'm finding it not so nice of a system. Concerns i have:

1. You make a new Personality and name it what it actually is: Illithid 1. Well, when i click on the speech bubble, if the characters don't know what it is and I start speaking, well, they know what it is now. There is no "alias" for personalities that i think would be helpful ("slurping tentacle humanoid-looking creature).

2. When you put them into combat it isn't really an easy interface for creatures with lots of abilities and/or skills/feats. They get a sort of "Monster" entry with their BAB and their skills and things, but let's say you want to have an Illithid Monk 4/Sorc 5. All of those SA and SQ and spells and everything, I think i'd prefer a character sheet for that puppy. And I might use one, but then can the players load up the available characters and see all my baddies?

3. My solution for this of course is to do it the old fashioned way, having my P&P version of the baddy right here in front of me and just have a personality with his "alias" in the name field just so i can use him to talk. Further, if I DID fill out all his stats in the Personality sheet, you can't even really drag, say his attack into the chat window for quick access to his bonuses/saves/etc. You can't even really drop the dice+modifier into the spaces in his Personality sheet (like you can with the quickslot -- which btw i think is awesome). Sure I could load them into the quickslots, but then I could get confused if i had two or more baddies with class levels or templates or whatever.

I suppose I'd just like to hear how people deal with BBEGs, and even lesser so, just your minions or extraordinary creatures in FG.

Thanks!

richvalle
April 24th, 2007, 20:23
Howdy,

I used to add most my bad guys into FGI but then got lazy and just started to wing them. If I needed a bad guy to make an attack at +12 I just put +12 into the mod box and rolled. Ref save +5? Same...

I might change that with FG II (at least for a while) and see how it goes. It does take a lot of work to add them.

For your issues:

1: You can try to change the Entry before you click the speach bubble and it should change the ID. i.e. make it 'Tall dark stranger' and not Illithid 1 and then speak.

2: Yeah, I don't like how FG does spells for bad guys. For some a character sheet would be better. I think now characters are tied to login names. You should be able to create a log in for yourself (NPC maybe) and create characters and players won't be able to see them. Unless they login as NPC... nothing to stop them from doing that I think.

3: you CAN drag and drop the attacks and damage from the lines of the Personalites page and it rolls dice for you now. I've tried it... it works. I think the same for saves but not 100% sure about that .

BTW, we do all our game by voice (Skype or TS) so I don't need the speach bubbles.

rv

Griogre
April 24th, 2007, 20:39
Okay, I'm a DM and I would like to get feedback on how people use baddies in their game. I see there is a Personalities folder, and in that folder you can add a subfolder of bad guys, and that's how i was going to do it (just in case any of them wanted to talk or something). But i'm finding it not so nice of a system. Concerns i have:

1. You make a new Personality and name it what it actually is: Illithid 1. Well, when i click on the speech bubble, if the characters don't know what it is and I start speaking, well, they know what it is now. There is no "alias" for personalities that i think would be helpful ("slurping tentacle humanoid-looking creature). Yes, for this reason I never use this feature. I use the /id Slurping Tentacle Creature command to generate ids. You can put anything in with the /id chat command ie /id Creature of Darkness, /id Skeleton Thing, /id Rotten Corpse, ect.

2. When you put them into combat it isn't really an easy interface for creatures with lots of abilities and/or skills/feats. They get a sort of "Monster" entry with their BAB and their skills and things, but let's say you want to have an Illithid Monk 4/Sorc 5. All of those SA and SQ and spells and everything, I think i'd prefer a character sheet for that puppy. And I might use one, but then can the players load up the available characters and see all my baddies? The players can see your bad guys if you make character sheets for your NPCs.

3. My solution for this of course is to do it the old fashioned way, having my P&P version of the baddy right here in front of me and just have a personality with his "alias" in the name field just so i can use him to talk. Further, if I DID fill out all his stats in the Personality sheet, you can't even really drag, say his attack into the chat window for quick access to his bonuses/saves/etc. You can't even really drop the dice+modifier into the spaces in his Personality sheet (like you can with the quickslot -- which btw i think is awesome). Sure I could load them into the quickslots, but then I could get confused if i had two or more baddies with class levels or templates or whatever.

I suppose I'd just like to hear how people deal with BBEGs, and even lesser so, just your minions or extraordinary creatures in FG.
I don't like the FG format for compicated monsters, though overtime I have gotten use to it but I don't like the 3 page non stardard format. I will tell you one thing. I like the new D&D stat block format over FG's personalites. I personally never use the "items" book (though that may change with some of the FG2 improvements) because I have treasure in with the room keys. I have gotten so I will sometimes just cut and paste the new style stat blocks into an "item" entry or into the first page of the personality.

I cut and paste the stat blocks into items because it is fast and clear. The problem with this is you can't drag them onto the combat tracker. For very complicated NPC's I use the execellent NPC Designer which has an export to FG xml. I expect this to still be compadible to FG2.

greowhiste
April 24th, 2007, 23:18
What is this "NPC Designer"?

Thanks for the feedback. Managing monsters and baddies seems to be the messiest thing i see yet for FG in general. (the new dnd stat blocks are indeed nice)

richvalle
April 25th, 2007, 00:48

Thanks for the feedback. Managing monsters and baddies seems to be the messiest thing i see yet for FG in general. (the new dnd stat blocks are indeed nice)

Software that you can buy to create NPC's. Very well supported (at least it was... I've lost track of where the software is at these days).

As was said, you can create the NPC and then export into FG xml. You have to copy and paste it into your xml file though.

rv

Griogre
April 25th, 2007, 04:11
NPC Designer is a very nifty piece of software that makes and equips NPCs and it will do as much or as little of it as you wish randomly. I really like this piece of software and really recommend it to any DM who is short of time and running mid to upper level. NPC Designer is at the end of its life cycle as the developer is currently working on the follow on program called Evolution.

Unfortunately at this time NPC Designer only exports to FG1. The xml for FG2 personalities is different. I have just asked the developer if he would do an export to FG2. You can check out the web site here (https://www.rpgattitude.com/Default.asp) and grab the demo if you wish.

Ricboy
April 25th, 2007, 23:53
Seems good what version of NPC designer do you suggest: silver or gold???

Euh.. never mind I just realized that there is just a 4$ difference... might as well buy the gold, I'll just wait to see if you get an answer on the FGII export support...

Griogre
April 26th, 2007, 02:33
Yeah, the difference is so small I would get Gold. I just got a response on my post today and sent him sample personality xml. The developer, David Jones, is known for his support and it would not surprise me if something isn't done before the end of the week on the FG2 export.

greowhiste
April 26th, 2007, 17:36
This is great. thanks for the lead. eagerly awaiting an NPC Designer program for FGII.

Ricboy
April 27th, 2007, 03:38
Cool just let us know as soon as you get some news on this...

Griogre
April 27th, 2007, 07:12
I got a follow up response from the Developer of NPC Designer today letting me know he was going through the new personality tags. He tentatively expects to have a release by tomorrow. As he already has done an export from NPC Designer into FG1 the odds are good, IMHO, the release will stick, but if something comes up the final might not be until Monday.

Ricboy
April 27th, 2007, 14:23
Let's agree on this even if this is just Monday that's fast response right??? I will most certainly buy stuff from them, I can see the offer great support...

greowhiste
April 27th, 2007, 16:37
Griogre, can you post the link to his site, or where all of this info is? Thanks, and fast response is appreciated!

richvalle
April 27th, 2007, 16:57
He did on a previous post...

https://www.rpgattitude.com/Default.asp

Good luck!

rv

Vascant
April 27th, 2007, 18:45
Since this kind of concerns me I will just chime in..

I just uploaded the latest update 1.0.182 which contains my first crack at the new format, from the naked eye everything looks right. (So thats what, 50% chance of being right?). When we did FG v1 it took but one additional update to get it hammered out correctly so as soon as Griogre sends me a list of things needing fixed I will update it promptly.

While yes I am working on Evolution I do still and probably always will support NPC Designer. So if Fantasy Grounds V2 has some new functionality that NPC Designer can take advantage of please let me know.

richvalle
April 27th, 2007, 20:41
Hey Vascant... want to give a plug about what Evolution is? I'm too lazy to hunt it down. :)

I have NPC-D and really like it (though, honestly I've never used it as I'm running a premade module right now) but look forward to the time I do get to use it for 'real'.

Thanks for the work.

rv

Vascant
April 27th, 2007, 21:05
Hey Vascant... want to give a plug about what Evolution is? I'm too lazy to hunt it down. :)

The concept behind Evolution is pretty simple, as I am sure the guys here found out with FG. When you do the first version, you learn a lot of things along the way, I kind of laugh now as I thought I knew d20 before doing NPC Designer.. So I have taken some concepts that I learned along the way and added some things I "should" have done and removed some barriers. It handles characters and NPCs pretty much the same, you can use it to handle management of information or just one time generation. I also have created what I refer to as Code Generators, which allow users to convert PCGen data over to something Evolution can handle. These same tools were used in the creation of the SRD so they have been tested time and time again.

Before you ask, yes it will have an Export for both versions of FG.

Once this initial step is finished I plan on moving to Campaign Management and Module/Adventure/Encounter Generation.

That in a nutshell is Evolution

richvalle
April 27th, 2007, 21:19
Sounds great. I already know you do great work. When Evolution 1.0 comes out make sure you come here to post about it so we can all rush out to get it. :)

rv

Vascant
April 28th, 2007, 15:59
Round 2 of the new export has been released with NPC Designer 1.0.183

Vascant
April 28th, 2007, 23:38
Griogre gave me a quick report of some last things to be cleaned up so I have updated NPC Designer to 1.0.184 with the latest changes.

Vascant
April 29th, 2007, 13:32
Should be the last of the issues cleaned up with NPC Designer 1.0.185

Maybe Griogre will post some examples over here as he did for me..

Ricboy
April 29th, 2007, 13:33
Cool I'll buy copy right now after this reply and give it a try

Ricboy
April 29th, 2007, 13:38
Hmmm I bought it through pay pal but didn't got any download or email with a link or licence?? Just got the mail from Pay pal confirming my purchase?

Do you know why?

Vascant
April 29th, 2007, 14:28
Hmmm I bought it through pay pal but didn't got any download or email with a link or licence?? Just got the mail from Pay pal confirming my purchase?

Do you know why?

Yes, I already posted on the other forum and sent the email. There is no automated system as I would rather personally handle all customer interaction personally. I have never received a complaint concerning customer service so why change?

Ricboy
April 29th, 2007, 14:52
Thanks... and by the way I have no problem with this way of treating the purchases, I just wandered if this could be identified in the purchase section (it might be but I didn't see it I'll have to reverify) this way no questioning.

But I have to say that you do offfer great support, for a different product I would probably have waited a few days to get my answer.

Thanks again!

Vascant
April 29th, 2007, 15:07
Thanks... and by the way I have no problem with this way of treating the purchases, I just wandered if this could be identified in the purchase section (it might be but I didn't see it I'll have to reverify) this way no questioning.

But I have to say that you do offfer great support, for a different product I would probably have waited a few days to get my answer.

Thanks again!

Only one time do people have to wait a day or so and thats during college football season, my son plays so the wife and I go see the home games which are out of state. (But that is clearly posted with a "Out of town" news post) Otherwise I try to remain prompt and within hours of any email or post you get a reply and in the case of bugs or new functionality I usually like to give the person a time frame of when I can start working on it and when I expect it to be finished.

Ricboy
April 29th, 2007, 16:59
Cool, this is great

Griogre
April 30th, 2007, 00:17
Should be the last of the issues cleaned up with NPC Designer 1.0.185

Maybe Griogre will post some examples over here as he did for me..
Just about to play around some more with NPC Designer. I'll put up some images after.

Elf
April 30th, 2007, 14:47
Thanks for pointing this one out Griogre! Vascant I look forward to Evolution.

Griogre
May 1st, 2007, 00:06
Thought I post up an update on the FG2 Personality xml import from NPC Designer. The import is now working great. I make more than 35 10th level characters the other day and imported them int FG2 to test them out. They all imported fine. The data is properly parsed so you can throw attack and damage dice(s) from the attack and full attack boxes. You can throw skill checks from the skill entries as well. The imported personality data is compatible with all the latest improvements to the FG2 personallites.

There does seem to be an issue with the monk scripts perhapse introduced by changing things around to make the import work. Vascant is on this and is planning to reveiw the entire monk script and will likely have something up tomorrow.

I'd like to thank Vascant for his efforts and fast response to creating the ability to import NPCs created in NPC Designer into FG2. Vascant has a well deserved reputation for customer support and I think he proved it again here.

I thought I would post a couple of images of two NPCs here so you could see a couple of imports I just did by sheer randomness I ended up with two tough females.

The first is a girl you don't want to meet in a back ally:

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/NPC2ImportOther.png

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/NPC2ImportMain.png

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/NPC2ImportCombat.png

The second is a Troll Ranger 10 who isn't evil.

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/NPC3ImportCombat.png

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/NPC3ImportMain.png

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/NPC3ImportOther.png

For those who like what you see and would like an NPC here are these two glamor girl's xml. :)

I ran over the post limit so I'll place the xml in the next post.

Griogre
May 1st, 2007, 00:09
<id-00002>
<ac type="string">17 (+1 hide (ac 3), +3 Dex), touch 13, flat-footed 14</ac>
<alignment type="string">CE</alignment>
<atk type="string">+2 greatclub +17 (1d8+9/19-20)</atk>
<babgrp type="string">10/+15</babgrp>
<charisma type="number">11</charisma>
<constitution type="number">16</constitution>
<cr type="number">10</cr>
<dexterity type="number">17</dexterity>
<feats type="string">Endurance, Improved Critical (greatclub), Power Attack, Track</feats>
<fortitudesave type="number">10</fortitudesave>
<fullatk type="string">+2 greatclub +17/+12 (1d8+9/19-20)</fullatk>
<hd type="string">10d12+30</hd>
<hp type="number">99</hp>
<init type="number">3</init>
<intelligence type="number">12</intelligence>
<name type="string">Cilaung</name>
<reflexsave type="number">6</reflexsave>
<skills type="string">Concentration +6 (+3 ranks, +3 con), Handle Animal +9 (+9 ranks), Hide +5 (+4 ranks, +3 dex, -2 acp), Intimidate +9 (+9 ranks), Listen +4 (+2 ranks, +2 wis), Ride +13 (+8 ranks, +3 dex, +2 synergy), Search +3 (+2 ranks, +1 int), Spot +7 (+5 ranks, +2 wis), Survival +9 (+7 ranks, +2 wis).</skills>
<spacereach type="string">5 ft./5 ft.</spacereach>
<specialattacks type="string">rage 3/day</specialattacks>
<specialqualities type="string">darkvision 60 ft., damage reduction 2/-, half-orc traits, fast movement, uncanny dodge, trap sense +3 and improved uncanny dodge</specialqualities>
<speed type="string">30 ft. (6 squares)</speed>
<strength type="number">20</strength>
<text type="formattedtext">
<p><b>Personal Info: </b>Background: Street Thug, Ht: 5', Wt: 138lbs, Hair: Brown, Eyes: Dark Brown, Age: 18. </p>
<p><b>Rage (Ex): </b>The following changes are in effect as long as Cilaung rages: <b>AC </b>15, touch 11, flat 12 <b>hp </b>119 (10HD) <b>Fort </b>+12 <b>Will </b>+7 <b>Melee </b><i>+2 greatclub </i>+19/+14 (1d8+12/19-20) <b>Base Atk </b>+10 <b>Grp </b>+17 <b>Abilities </b>Str 24, Con 20 Her fit of rage lasts for 8 rounds, though she may voluntarily end it prematurely. After raging, she is fatigued (-2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, can't charge or run) for the duration of that encounter. Cilaung can fly into a rage only once per encounter and only three times per day. Entering a rage takes no time by itself, but Cilaung can do it only during her action, not in response to someone else's action. </p>
<p><b>Half-orc Traits: </b>Cilaung has darkvision 60 ft. She is considered orc blood for all special abilities and effects. </p>
<p><b>Uncanny Dodge (Ex): </b>Cilaung retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. </p>
<p><b>Trap Sense (Ex): </b>Cilaung has a +3 bonus on Reflex saves to avoid traps and a +3 dodge bonus to AC against attacks by traps. </p>
<p><b>Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): </b>Cilaung can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack Cilaung by flanking her, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than Cilaung has barbarian levels. </p>
</text>
<treasure type="string">+1 hide, +2 greatclub, 17 gp, 13 sp, 5 cp.</treasure>
<type type="string">Female Half-Orc Barbarian 10</type>
<willsave type="number">5</willsave>
<wisdom type="number">12</wisdom>
</id-00002>
<id-00003>
<ac type="string">23 (+5 natural, +2 leather (ac 2), +5 Dex, -1 Size), touch 14, flat-footed 18</ac>
<alignment type="string">N</alignment>
<atk type="string">2 Claws +21 (1d6+8) or Bite +21 (1d6+4) or +1 club +22 (1d8+9)</atk>
<babgrp type="string">14/+26</babgrp>
<charisma type="number">6</charisma>
<constitution type="number">29</constitution>
<cr type="number">15</cr>
<dexterity type="number">20</dexterity>
<feats type="string">Cleave, Diehard, Endurance, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Leadership, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Climb), Track, Two-Weapon Fighting</feats>
<fortitudesave type="number">21</fortitudesave>
<fullatk type="string">+1 club +22/+17/+12 (1d8+9) and bite +16 (1d6+4) or 2 claws +21 (1d6+8) and bite +16 (1d6+4) or +1 club +22/+17/+12 (1d8+9)</fullatk>
<hd type="string">6d8+54 plus 10d8+90</hd>
<hp type="number">237</hp>
<init type="number">5</init>
<intelligence type="number">8</intelligence>
<name type="string">Gwoiaswen</name>
<reflexsave type="number">10</reflexsave>
<skills type="string">Climb +24 (+13 ranks, +8 str, +3 skill focus), Handle Animal +2 (+4 ranks, -2 cha), Listen +6 (+7 ranks, -1 wis), Ride +6 (+1 ranks, +5 dex), Spot +7 (+8 ranks, -1 wis), Survival +5 (+6 ranks, -1 wis).</skills>
<spacereach type="string">10 ft./10 ft.</spacereach>
<specialattacks type="string">rend +2d6</specialattacks>
<specialqualities type="string">low-light and darkvision 60 ft., scent, regeneration +5, favored enemy (outsiders(native) +4, vermin +2, dragons +4), wild empathy, woodland stride, swift tracker and evasion</specialqualities>
<speed type="string">30 ft. (6 squares)</speed>
<strength type="number">27</strength>
<text type="formattedtext">
<p><b>Rend (Ex): </b>If Gwoiaswen hits with both claw attacks, she latches onto the opponent's body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 2d6+Str points of damage. </p>
<p><b>Regeneration (Ex): </b>Fire and acid deal normal damage to a troll. If a trall loses a limb or a body part, the lost portion regrows in 3d6 minutes. The creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump. </p>
<p><b>Scent (Ex): </b>Gwoiaswen can track creatures by scent. </p>
<p><b>Favored Enemy (Ex): </b>Gwoiaswen has selected Outsiders(native), Vermin and Dragons as favored enemies. She gains a +4 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against Outsiders(native). Likewise, she gets a +4 bonus on weapon damage rolls against Outsiders(native). She gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against Vermin. Likewise, she gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against Vermin. She gains a +4 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against Dragons. Likewise, she gets a +4 bonus on weapon damage rolls against Dragons. </p>
<p><b>Wild Empathy (Ex): </b>Gwoiaswen can use body language, vocalizations, and demeanor to improve the attitude of an animal. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check made to influence the attitude of a person, but Gwoiaswen's modifier to the die roll is +-1. The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of indifferent, while wild animals are usually unfriendly. To use wild empathy, Gwoiaswen must be able to study the animal and it her, so they must be within 30 feet of each other under normal conditions. Generally an attempt takes 1 minute. Gwoiaswen can also use this ability to influence the attitude of a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2, but she takes a -4 penalty on the check. </p>
<p><b>Woodland Stride (Ex): </b>Gwoiaswen may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that are enchanted or magically manipulated to impede motion still affect her. </p>
<p><b>Swift Tracker (Ex): </b>Gwoiaswen can move at her normal speed while following tracks without taking the normal -5 penalty. She takes only a -10 penalty (instead of the normal -20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking. </p>
<p><b>Evasion (Ex): </b>If exposed to any effect that normally allows a character to attempt a Reflex saving throw for half damage, Gwoiaswen takes no damage with a successful saving throw. </p>
</text>
<treasure type="string">+2 leather, +1 club, ring of greater acid resistance, potion of cure serious wounds, 15 pp, 7 gp, 12 sp, 10 cp, 23390 gp in other assets.</treasure>
<type type="string">Female Troll Ranger 10</type>
<willsave type="number">4</willsave>
<wisdom type="number">8</wisdom>
</id-00003>